Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

KingFisher posted:

Thanks for the feedback,

Do you think swapping to Abyssal Grotesques asa source of "Hordes" instead of blacksouls and decimators would make the whole army move faster be tougher?
If I switched the Diadem of Dragon-kind off the Dragon lord and put the boomstick in place could I cast a spell and shoot in the same turn?

Spells are shooting, so it's the same difference.

The best advice usually ends up being "try what you have and see how it feels". It's almost impossible to lose at the list building phase, certainly impossible to do it by accident, and any difficulties you put yourself in then can easily be overcome on the board with smart movement and tactical decisions. In the Decimator example, perhaps the best way to increase their survivability is to force your opponent to not shoot at them - present him with something tough and dangerous in his face that cannot be ignored, and your Decimators get a round or two of damage free shooting. Alternatively, the Decimators die, but it means your opponent let something just as dangerous get in his face, and maybe you win with that instead.

All of the armies can be played in multiple ways, there's no one right list, or one right way, and sometimes it comes down to playing through it a few times to figure out which units and combinations work best for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I love how the WARHAMMER thread is now the KoW thread.

Speaking of which, here are a pic of my Ratkin army in their new carrying box!

Awful app still won't let me upload pictures. :(

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Not a viking posted:

Speaking of which, here are a pic of my Ratkin army in their new carrying box!

Awful app still won't let me upload pictures. :(

I wanna see :saddowns:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Hey KoW thread,

I just finished painting up some Skeletons and have the Grave Stalkers box in the post (Zombies, Ghouls and Graves). How weird will it look if I mix the sprues up and make a unit of 20 zombies or ghouls?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Not terribly weird, the kits were created to be compatible. But it could be confusing since ghouls and zombies are different units in KoW.

What you could do is make two different sets of unit filler - one maybe as obvious ghouls eating a horse and the other as zombies emerging from graves. Then it'd be clear what the unit represents, based on which set of filler you're using.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

moths posted:

Not terribly weird, the kits were created to be compatible. But it could be confusing since ghouls and zombies are different units in KoW.

What you could do is make two different sets of unit filler - one maybe as obvious ghouls eating a horse and the other as zombies emerging from graves. Then it'd be clear what the unit represents, based on which set of filler you're using.

If I read their FAQ correctly (I don't have the rulebooks as it's just a painting exercise at the moment but I like to make stuff game legal) then is 6 or more models for a Troop Unit (10 models) or 15 or more for a regiment (20 models) if I want to use fillers right?

Also have some skellies shamelessly reposted from the minis thread.

richyp posted:

She probably has combat heels on too so it's cool. I finished the rest of the Skeleton Troop unit, group pic is blurry so I've got a the 2 ranks separate too.

10 more skellies to go then I should have some gouls/zombies to do.

I'll probably do the ghouls and zombies rags in the same blue but alter their skin colours from each other in order to make them more easily identifiable from a distance.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd just paint their clothes a little different and make sure the front rank was the proper model.

Edit: Yeah skin color works too. Ghouls are living, so them having a warmer skin tone works.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

richyp posted:

Hey KoW thread,

I just finished painting up some Skeletons and have the Grave Stalkers box in the post (Zombies, Ghouls and Graves). How weird will it look if I mix the sprues up and make a unit of 20 zombies or ghouls?

Excuse me sir I play Warhammer Fantasy Battles 10th edition :Kings of War.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Edit: Yeah skin color works too. Ghouls are living, so them having a warmer skin tone works.

Great minds think alike I guess, that's pretty much what I was thinking: Ghouls in a pinky grey and the zombies similar to the Vampire in the first image.

I'm also really liking mantic's sprues with the extra little bits such as the zombie dog/giant rat and from what I've seen online the zombie bases with the torsos coming out of the ground so I can probably do something as filler. I also ordered some movement trays with the zombie/ghoul box so I'm tempted to just glue them directly onto the trays too so that'll help with padding and spacing.

KingFisher posted:

Sorry my bad, it's probably the excitement for Warpath 40k that's confused me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's fine to discuss KoW here of course, but there is also a Mantic thread, where you will probably get more expert responses to questions about Kings of War.
Mantic Games - Why does everyone suddenly want to play our mass battle fantasy game?

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

It's fine to discuss KoW here of course, but there is also a Mantic thread, where you will probably get more expert responses to questions about Kings of War.
Mantic Games - Why does everyone suddenly want to play our mass battle fantasy game?

Warhammer: Mantic Games Megathread

Similarly, the GW Death Thread should probably be moved to NMD.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

MasterSlowPoke posted:

"Day 54: No one suspects a thing."
Paint a voodoo skull facepaint on that goblin, it'll add to the disguise.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Syrnn posted:

Similarly, the GW Death Thread should probably be moved to ADTRW.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Imgur to the rescue!

https://imgur.com/a/L6xkD

Bonus pic of my elf army as well (those boxes are my tree herders)

E: the Mantic thread also has a bunch of other games though. Not that its too busy to contain them or anything, I just want my special brand of Mantic game to have its own thread...

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 1, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The Death Thread might as well just be renamed "Tradgames General Chat Thread" given how much more active it is than the actual chat thread.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Kai Tave posted:

The Death Thread might as well just be renamed "Tradgames General Chat Thread" given how much more active it is than the actual chat thread.

It works because there's an external reason (GW's continual missteps) to keep the thread rolling whenever the current topic dies down.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 2, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Plus it's super easy to troll.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

richyp posted:

If I read their FAQ correctly (I don't have the rulebooks as it's just a painting exercise at the moment but I like to make stuff game legal) then is 6 or more models for a Troop Unit (10 models) or 15 or more for a regiment (20 models) if I want to use fillers right?

Not sure where you got 15 from for regiments, but the official rule is 50% +1. So for a regiment it needs to be 11 (which is how they arrive at 6 for a troop). This chart breaks it down, but includes two values. One is the minimum model count which is what you need for it to be legal in competitive play and the larger number is the preferred model count which is the minimum necessary for visual appeal. PMC is not enforced to my knowledge, but maybe it can impact painting scores.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Skellybones posted:

What are they dispossessed of?

Battlemechs

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Solahma units, forced to use old Inner Sphere BattleMechs and sometimes maybe those IIC models based on old Star League designs.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Ilor posted:

Just ask Games Workshop! :smug:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Not a viking posted:

Imgur to the rescue!

https://imgur.com/a/L6xkD

Bonus pic of my elf army as well (those boxes are my tree herders)

E: the Mantic thread also has a bunch of other games though. Not that its too busy to contain them or anything, I just want my special brand of Mantic game to have its own thread...

That is one badass block of stormies :cheers:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
EDIT: Goddamnit Death Thread, stop looking identical to the Hams thread.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 2, 2016

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

KingFisher posted:

New thread title mods tia

Pierzak posted:

Paint a voodoo skull facepaint on that goblin, it'll add to the disguise.

I see where you are going and I like it but they have already won.

Ilor posted:

EDGY

spectralent posted:

EDIT: Goddamnit Death Thread, stop looking identical to the Hams thread.

Never!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The most amazing thing is I somehow thought this was the death thread pretending to be hams thread, and it was the other way around :negative:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

well maybe cut the loving derails and we can get back to talking about the new warhammer releases like

err

gently caress

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Saint Drogo posted:

well maybe cut the loving derails and we can get back to talking about the new warhammer releases like

err

gently caress

Lol they are literally making those made up novels the Penny Arcade guys created as a parody.

Next time in Age of Sigmar, Grimm Shado is on the Astral Stellar Beast on the Star Dragonic highway on the trail of the Witchilocks when he is ambushed by an Aspiring Deathbringer and his horde of Bloodsecretor Wulfoids

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 2, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So since the death thread is currently about heavy metal maybe this article will get a bit more traction here. It's about the fall of TSR and Wizards of the Coast buying them.
They blame it on total and utter lack of marketing and it sounds so much like GW it's unreal.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Taear posted:

So since the death thread is currently about heavy metal maybe this article will get a bit more traction here. It's about the fall of TSR and Wizards of the Coast buying them.
They blame it on total and utter lack of marketing and it sounds so much like GW it's unreal.

The thing is, if Ryan Dancey told me that the sky was blue I'd stick my head out the window to see if he was telling the truth, and then I'd also check to make sure my wallet was still in my pants.

quote:

I want to be judged on results, not rhetoric. I want to look back at my time at the helm of this business and feel that things got better, not worse. I want to know that my team made certain that the mistakes of the past wouldn't be the mistakes of the future. I want to know that we figured out what went wrong. That we fixed it. That we saved D&D. And that god damnit, we didn't lose money.

This is the guy that convinced Wizards of the Coast that releasing 3E under the Open Gaming License would allow them to dominate the RPG market for all time as people flocked to create niche supplements while WotC themselves would focus solely on "core materials" necessary to play the game, and instead what resulted was the RPG equivalent of a bubble which burst and led to a lot of game stores going under beneath the weight of tons of unsold d20 shovelware and also enabled a disgruntled Paizo to rip off 3E D&D wholesale, rebrand it, and become D&D's number one competitor, all completely legally.

Like, Ryan Dancey could very well be right here, I'm sure that "lack of good business sense" is, in the abstract, one of the leading causes of TSR's downfall, but Ryan Dancey has never met a narrative that he doesn't love to twist to make himself sound like the smartest motherfucker in the room so even if he was there watching it happen with his own two eyes I'd still take anything he has to say with a huge grain of salt.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In all fairness, Paizo could have ripped off the D&D mechanics even if there had never been a D20 license, because mechanics are not copyrightable. The D20 license lets you put the D20 logo on your poo poo, it does not grant a right that you already had.

I don't think Pathfinder would have happened without the existing third-party D20 ecosystem, mind you; but it's a common error people make about intellectual property laws. Your art is copyrightable; your trademark names are trademarked; but the mechanics of your game? Anyone can use them freely.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

In all fairness, Paizo could have ripped off the D&D mechanics even if there had never been a D20 license, because mechanics are not copyrightable. The D20 license lets you put the D20 logo on your poo poo, it does not grant a right that you already had.

I don't think Pathfinder would have happened without the existing third-party D20 ecosystem, mind you; but it's a common error people make about intellectual property laws. Your art is copyrightable; your trademark names are trademarked; but the mechanics of your game? Anyone can use them freely.

They absolutely could have. I've seen similar sentiments expressed that Paizo "paved the way" for the OSR movement which I suppose is true in a sense but, again, people making retroclones could have done so regardless.

However, the fact that WotC basically had all of the OGL compatible material handily categorized and consolidated made for definite ease of transplantation instead of having to start from scratch, so to speak, and while it's true that mechanics aren't copyrightable the existence of the OGL was an extra layer of security on top of everything. I mean, it's not like it's unheard of for a company to file lawsuits they know aren't necessarily valid simply to play legal chicken with someone who doesn't have enough money to contest things, which is what I've heard a few people say would have made them far more cautious about publishing various not-D&D's if it weren't for the precedent set by Pathfinder, whether their fears are founded is another matter.

The OGL also allowed Pathfinder to make significant use of that in its initial marketing. "We're FULLY OGL COMPATIBLE wink wink" was part of the whole narrative they spun positioning themselves as D&D's True Heirs, and that promise of backwards compatibility with everyone's back catalogue of 3E d20 material (regardless of how true it actually was) doubtlessly had something to do with how eagerly a lot of people adopted Pathfinder. Regardless, the ultimate point I'm trying to make is that Ryan Dancey sold WotC on a vision that undeniably failed to manifest in any form or fashion and can be argued to have harmed the hobby due to the whole d20 bubble burst. Of course nowadays Dancey claims that the OGL was his way of ensuring that "D&D can never be at risk of dying again" even though as you point out mechanics aren't copyrightable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kai Tave posted:

Like, Ryan Dancey could very well be right here, I'm sure that "lack of good business sense" is, in the abstract, one of the leading causes of TSR's downfall, but Ryan Dancey has never met a narrative that he doesn't love to twist to make himself sound like the smartest motherfucker in the room so even if he was there watching it happen with his own two eyes I'd still take anything he has to say with a huge grain of salt.

I agree that the main theme of the article is "Aren't I loving great guys??" and to boast that you made third edition isn't something you should ever be doing but the TSR stuff still applies to GW - especially the creation of tonnes of poo poo that they have no idea if it sells or not due to a hunch.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Taear posted:

I agree that the main theme of the article is "Aren't I loving great guys??" and to boast that you made third edition isn't something you should ever be doing but the TSR stuff still applies to GW - especially the creation of tonnes of poo poo that they have no idea if it sells or not due to a hunch.

Not to dismiss TSR's fuckups because it's clear they made a fair few, but TSR was basically a company started by the quintessential guy in his garage who made a game. Gygax had no real business education to the best of my knowledge...not that a business education means you're going to be good at business you understand...but as the first real purveyor of modern tabletop RPGs it kind of doesn't surprise me that the story of TSR is one of flailing and questionable decisions, run and managed by people who maybe didn't really know all that well what they were doing. By contrast Games Workshop is a proper multi-million dollar company (TSR was one as well for a while but not as long I don't believe) and has been one for quite some time, and while early Games Workshop seems to have been run by the UK wargaming equivalent of a bunch of Gary Gygaxes, modern GW at least claims to have people with actual business educations involved somewhere in the process, and they also have decades of history of tabletop game publishers to look back upon and learn from. That Games Workshop brags about doing no marketing in the year 2016 is far, far worst than any amount of shenanigans TSR got up to because they don't have any excuse for that sort of idiocy.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Saint Drogo posted:

err

gently caress

When did Sauron's helmet join the Sigmar brigade? Maybe this is where he ended up after getting evicted from Middle Earth.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Xlorp posted:

When did Sauron's helmet join the Sigmar brigade? Maybe this is where he ended up after getting evicted from Middle Earth.

I think that's a bad guy. You can tell because he's using non-regulation skulls.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Saint Drogo posted:

err

gently caress

like just glancing at that cover, which is what i imagine would be the same distance i'd see it from at the store, the sigmarines look like horrible metal monsters massacring a bunch of humans

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

That's Archaon. That's what Archaon looks like now. :negative:

e: I am glad they released this though because for the longest time I thought I dreamed the bit about the magic space dragons

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 2, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

My favorite part: they drew his top knot the same color as his cape so they just blend together into a patch of red.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Avenging Dentist posted:

My favorite part: they drew his top knot the same color as his cape so they just blend together into a patch of red.

i didn't even notice he had a topknot until you told me

i think my favorite part is they had to make him the spikiest armorman possible because they've made two entire factions of spiky armormen and his older model would be entirely impossible to differentiate from other units now.

ps: why is archaon still alive/doing more chaos? like, he literally won the war, shouldn't the chaos gods at least have given him some sort of promotion to a demon or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

like just glancing at that cover, which is what i imagine would be the same distance i'd see it from at the store, the sigmarines look like horrible metal monsters massacring a bunch of humans

It really doesn't help that immediately behind them, with no reason to believe they aren't the same group of Metal Massacre Monsters, are a bunch of chaos duders on horses looking imposing and baleful.

i didn't even notice he had a topknot until you told me
^^^

ps: why is archaon still alive/doing more chaos? like, he literally won the war, shouldn't the chaos gods at least have given him some sort of promotion to a demon or something?

Something something something Archaon is apparently the hidden good guy in all of this. A guy was defending Age of Sigmar :psyduck: on the premise that Archaon was going to upset the balance of things and kill the Chaos gods and redeem himself of all the evil he was forced to do and usher in an age of faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

• Locked thread