Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So here's a thought; how do you reckon the execs are gonna tank IBO season 2?

Expanded Mika love triangles?

Making Mikazuki suddenly an upstanding moral person?

Making every other new mech that appears a Gundam instead of keeping them rare and ancient? :rolldice:
Dump all moral ambiguity by making Kudelia (and her supporters) the ultimate and only correct opinion, and anyone who disagrees with her (regardless of actions, be it non-violent or violent) objectively super evil that must be purged from the world. Also, have Mika hijack the show from Season 2's protagonist around the halfway point for good measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Expanded Mika love triangles?

Making Mikazuki suddenly an upstanding moral person?

Making every other new mech that appears a Gundam instead of keeping them rare and ancient? :rolldice:

Two words: Kudelia Peacecraft

KoB
May 1, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The same thing they always do Pinky.

Beamspam and backpacks.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's kinda hard to tank something that's already tanking.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
You think Iron-Blooded Orphans is tanking? Do you have any reason to think that, aside from your feelings?

KoB
May 1, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

You think Iron-Blooded Orphans is tanking? Do you have any reason to think that, aside from your feelings?

Ratings

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

KoB posted:

Ratings

what are they?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yeah, ratings-wise IBO is absolutely bottom barrel. It's not like G-Reco or BF where it was in a bad timeslot either, it's just doing awful. I hear part of it was due to parental moral outrage since it's in a kid's timeslot, and you could argue that people are watching it online instead, but those are kind of just sidestepping the point.

It doesn't really matter that much anyways, since all that's really important are the gunpla sales and the BDs. Which as far as we know, are doing about average for Gundam series nowadays. But the show itself just bombed on the networks. It would actually be impressive if S2 managed to make the ratings go lower.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah, ratings-wise IBO is absolutely bottom barrel. It's not like G-Reco or BF where it was in a bad timeslot either, it's just doing awful. I hear part of it was due to parental moral outrage since it's in a kid's timeslot, and you could argue that people are watching it online instead, but those are kind of just sidestepping the point.

It doesn't really matter that much anyways, since all that's really important are the gunpla sales and the BDs. Which as far as we know, are doing about average for Gundam series nowadays. But the show itself just bombed on the networks. It would actually be impressive if S2 managed to make the ratings go lower.

Bandai slated it for getting an english dub, so it'll be interesting to see how it does outside Japan in the kind of official sales metrics they look at (ie; instead of all the simulcasts and youtube views).

Also there's a vast difference between one market not liking a show and the production team making GBS threads the bed for the entire audience; One is IBO, and the other's likely to be IBO season 2 :v:.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

So being a stupid idiot optimist, I'll go ahead and just hope that they switch the timeslot and stay out of meddling with the rest.
This is literally the only Gundam series I've actually liked, so don't die on me, dammit!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Code Geass R2 is the way it is partly because they switched time slots (the reason why the 1st half is basically a repeat of the 1st season).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Code Geass R2 is the way it is partly because they switched time slots (the reason why the 1st half is basically a repeat of the 1st season).

It also came a full year after the original, didnt it?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also came a full year after the original, didnt it?

6 months. They were alternating between 00 and Code Geass seasons.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

booksnake posted:

So I have something of a dissenting opinion to what I've been seeing in this thread which is that Gaelio I really don't expect to be dead because we didn't get to see any of his reaction to the actual deathblow. We just see the outside of the suit, and it falls over. It doesn't feel like closure, especially for the biggest antagonist of the season. But the problem is McGillis cannot let him live after telling him "Hey I betrayed the gently caress out of you", so he should be dead, but they refused to actually show his pitiable corpse so I'm expecting the same "whatever he lives anyway" like the girls got.

I'm kind of expecting Gaelio is dead, because McGillis can't get on with his revenge and reformation otherwise, but that's predicated on the idea he won't be a main character next season and it'll instead continue to be Mika, since he still has a lot of issues to work out, both emotional and physical. I feel there's a high probability of being right though. If Gaelio is alive then he'll be getting in the way of McGillis and it'll stunt McGillis as a villain, which I don't see happening. I think he's just dead to make us hate McGillis. I didn't like Gaelio much though and while I thought McGillis' emotional dismemberment was harsh, it doesn't make me like Gaelio any more. Then again, I'm not the show's biggest fan and frankly think any exec meddling to force more battles or better villains (as in, not loving Brewers), is a win personally.

tsob fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 31, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

6 months. They were alternating between 00 and Code Geass seasons.

It might as well have been closer to a year considering how the last 3 or so episodes of Geass S1 were delayed for months.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Srice posted:

It might as well have been closer to a year considering how the last 3 or so episodes of Geass S1 were delayed for months.

Really? I only got into it right after S1 ended, didn't know there were delays.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

booksnake posted:

So I have something of a dissenting opinion to what I've been seeing in this thread which is that Azee, Lafter, and now Gaelio should be dead. My personal take from last episode was that Azee had a high chance of survival because seeing a slumped, bloodstained body doesn't really distinguish between "unconscious/concussed" and "dead" compared to a crushed ball of metal that used to be a cockpit or visible dismemberment. On the other hand, I assumed Lafter would be dead because screams of pain and blood spraying while the metal drill sound whirred menacingly really implied to me that something was getting ground up into bloody meat and it would be too gross to show. So that's hosed, and I would be unhappy... but I appreciate Akihiro getting more chances to work out with her in the training room so I'm part of the problem.

Gaelio I really don't expect to be dead because we didn't get to see any of his reaction to the actual deathblow. We just see the outside of the suit, and it falls over. It doesn't feel like closure, especially for the biggest antagonist of the season. But the problem is McGillis cannot let him live after telling him "Hey I betrayed the gently caress out of you", so he should be dead, but they refused to actually show his pitiable corpse so I'm expecting the same "whatever he lives anyway" like the girls got.

I too am glad our waifus are safe, but between Lafter always painting her nails and the blood splatter in her cockpit. I expected her to show up later in a wheelchair with one leg missing like Shiro from 08th. (Which plays into my fanfic "getting a leg up on life").
Galieo's probably dead, it would be nice if he survived because that would add to S2 a more interesting story. But I have the nagging sense is they left it semi-ambiguous because they writers don't know what S2 will be right now. And at the very least they'll use that ambiguity to add some flashback where Galieo records a message in Kimaris or copies the audio log and somehow it gets back to his sister or Atra and that's the tool used to knock the chocolate man off his chocolate throne.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
teeny Orphans

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Just marathoned the show. Coming fresh off G Reco which I utterly hated in every way, this was such a huge step up. Probably my favorite since Zeta. Please don't be 00 all over again and have a garbage Season 2 after a fantastic first season.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

boom boom boom posted:

teeny Orphans

Shino is gonna be real lonely without Yamagi to put next to him :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BlitzBlast posted:

Hey kids, want to watch a show about child soldiers?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Tenzarin posted:

Hey kids, want to watch a show about child soldiers?

Yeah this show's supposed timeslot to viewer demographic is super hosed.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

mango sentinel posted:

Shino is gonna be real lonely without Yamagi to put next to him :(

Gotta save some characters for the next series of figures.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Gotta save some characters for the next series of figures.

The second Ein statuette is either going to be enormous or very, very small.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It'll just be Ein's face on a trashcan.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Darth Walrus posted:

It'll have detachable limbs.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Sandman posted:

It'll have detachable limbs.

Ein figure prototype:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I understand the concern about people not dying leading to reduced storytelling impact but at the same time I'm really happy that more competent female pilots didn't just get mulched for shock/worf value.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eej posted:

I understand the concern about people not dying leading to reduced storytelling impact but at the same time I'm really happy that more competent female pilots didn't just get mulched for shock/worf value.

It would've been perfectly fine there, because those two have been wrecking poo poo all series in their own right. It sets the tone of how obscenly powerful Ein is just fine rather than "here are the icky-dumb girly extras who've done nothing, time to kill'em".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It would've been perfectly fine there, because those two have been wrecking poo poo all series in their own right. It sets the tone of how obscenly powerful Ein is just fine rather than "here are the icky-dumb girly extras who've done nothing, time to kill'em".

I think it's more in the context of characters like the Shrike Team, the Astray girls, and Emma Sheen. Not all that bad on their own, but worse as part of a pattern.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would have sucked if they killed them off just to show how strong Ein is because that is a pattern.
It sucks they didn't even get serious injured because it makes Ein look pretty weak and lovely even in the context of the series.

Really though it'd have been less weird if it wasn't 3-for-3 surviving. Shino has been kind of a nobody character who exists to kill the role Akihiro had of "guy who isn't as good as Mika" and was piloting Crank's Graze and had previously been set up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It would have been fine if they had merely survived with severe or lasting injuries to show that Ein at least ALMOST killed them. Instead, three days later they're all up and about and having cutesy "DARLIIIING ~" moments with Naze and Shino's having a laugh discussing who's going to have to tell the two little girls that both of their brothers died horribly.

Like the entire point of Einborg was that he was supposed to represent the most extreme limits of the AV system, something incredibly dangerous that surpassed even Mikazuki at the cost of sacrificing all humanity. Instead he shows up, knocks a couple people out, and then gets shivved by Mikazuki finally figuring out how a sword works.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 4, 2016

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I dunno, I think a case can be made that Ein could have killed them and chose to spare them. In the final battle with Mika you can see him trying to "reason" (in a crazy cyborg logic, admittedly) with Mika and then there's the point where he decides "you know what? gently caress it, I'm going to kill this guy." And from then out is going for blood.

But if that's the moment he first decided to kill, then it makes sense that his earlier take downs were done in a fashion to NOT kill, right?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, I think a case can be made that Ein could have killed them and chose to spare them. In the final battle with Mika you can see him trying to "reason" (in a crazy cyborg logic, admittedly) with Mika and then there's the point where he decides "you know what? gently caress it, I'm going to kill this guy." And from then out is going for blood.

But if that's the moment he first decided to kill, then it makes sense that his earlier take downs were done in a fashion to NOT kill, right?

Without an internal monologue from Ein I don't see a strong case being made that Ein intentionally did poo poo. Sure I'm glad the waifu's are safe but it's weak from a story perspective that they lived with zero long term effects. Like I am legit conflicted on everyone living, but honestly I think the final episode was more about Galieo than anyone else.

Given the chance I'm sure Ein would have iced all of tekkaden to avenge Crank. And the whole end fight is really more Ein going "what do you mean, you don't remember LT. Crank? How dare you!"

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I see your points on this.

However, Marida, at the end of Unicorn.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This was such a tighter told story than Rec G that perhaps I'm overvaluing it, but this was one of the better AU gundam offerings. They gave enough politics to create the frame of the conflict, but kept it small scale for now and highly focused on Tekkadan. I'd assume the next season is going to have a much larger scope (or perhaps we'll get lucky and it'll stay a close tight narrative with only hints of the larger conflict points).

Honestly I'm with the folks that were upset none of our female pilots even got seriously injured. Ein absolutely aimed to kill all 3 of our pilots he found before Mika, the fact that all 3 didn't die was underwhelming.

Also the real sword is fine and all, but a drat Gundam should have beam sabers somewhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jng2058 posted:

It isn't because Ein has been stating his desire to kill Tekkadan since Crank's death and fully intended to kill previously. He was going to shoot the shuttle for example.

"Maybe becoming a full-murder cyborg in his desire to get revenge for Crank very briefly turned him into Kira Yamato" just feels unlikely.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Also the real sword is fine and all, but a drat Gundam should have beam sabers somewhere.

I really hope we don't get beam sabers if just because the show has been good about making the physicality of combat an issue with people getting injured just from being attacked. (Except... Einborg but we've already expressed that.) It gives the show's combat a distinctive weight and having beam weapons that penetrate armor would lose that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think it would be kind of cool if basic beam sabers and beam weapons are invented at the end of the show, but only a couple of villains had access to them, and it made them a serious threat to Tekkadan.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I hope they keep the emphasis on sick axes and maces and chainsaw things instead of dumb beamspam like every other gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KoB posted:

I hope they keep the emphasis on sick axes and maces and chainsaw things instead of dumb beamspam like every other gundam.

:same:

• Locked thread