Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
What really helped to studying for my cert exams was just scheduling the exam.
Somehow knowing that the exam date was getting closer and closer. Just motivated me to study for it harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Been meaning to clean this stuff up for a while. Good job lovely web developers we paid before I got here! Why put websites in the same directory. Just throw them all over the hard drive. And give them stupid names.

Bonus: they were all logging to the same 2 log files

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sefal posted:

What really helped to studying for my cert exams was just scheduling the exam.
Somehow knowing that the exam date was getting closer and closer. Just motivated me to study for it harder.

Yeah, I do that, I just set it for like 6 months out and I know that I can move it whenever I like. :downs:

In any case, I moved it up to 3 weeks from today and I'm taking it then regardless of how confident I feel. Gonna stop scheduling things so far out.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Khisanth Magus posted:

For our software release we are developing for, project management wanted all the high and medium bugs fixed by Monday. We have all been working our rear end off this week getting stuff fixed, despite the handicap of not having access to most of the actual code for the software, as we build on top of third party software that isn't open source. We ended yesterday evening with only 5 issues open and all of today to work on them.

Then last night the offshore testing team magically managed to come up with 10 more high priority bugs. There is no way our small team can fix that many with the handicap of not having access to the base code, so they want us to work the weekend to fix them with no overtime or comp time. Yeah, gently caress you, no.

Close them as "cannot reproduce" right before the deadline.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

xzzy posted:

What kind of NAS is it that it doesn't have snapshots? Or is it a home brewed box with a bunch of hard drives that someone threw on the network and called a NAS?

BUFFALO NAS

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
poo poo pissing me off: Wake on Lan policies for Windows 8 and above.

Powering off the machine absolutely kills networking. Microsoft's reasoning for this is that when users select Shut Down, they expect the machine to be completely shut down without the possibility of an accidental wake on lan or any other power up of *their* machine.

Except this is Windows Pro on a domain you chuckefucks! The machine's don't belong to the users, and appropriating an administrative power to users is backwards, wrong, and idiotic! At least give admins a backdoor way to get WoL working for a powered off machine through group policy or registry or BIOS.

Why the poo poo would I care about honoring the intents of the user in an admin controlled domain environment?!?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Wake on Lan policies for Windows 8 and above.

Powering off the machine absolutely kills networking. Microsoft's reasoning for this is that when users select Shut Down, they expect the machine to be completely shut down without the possibility of an accidental wake on lan or any other power up of *their* machine.

Except this is Windows Pro on a domain you chuckefucks! The machine's don't belong to the users, and appropriating an administrative power to users is backwards, wrong, and idiotic! At least give admins a backdoor way to get WoL working for a powered off machine through group policy or registry or BIOS.

Why the poo poo would I care about honoring the intents of the user in an admin controlled domain environment?!?

Power management tab on adapter properties?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

thebigcow posted:

Nope!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2776718

big dumb babies at microsoft posted:

WOL from S4 or S5 is unsupported. Network adapters are explicitly not armed for WOL in either S5 or S4 cases because users expect zero power consumption and battery drain in the shutdown state. This behavior removes the possibility of invalid wake-ups when an explicit shutdown is requested. Therefore, WOL is supported only from sleep (S3) or hibernation (S4) states in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

thebigcow posted:

They changed some stuff starting with Windows 8

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2776718

Looks like disabling fast startup enabled WOL to work again. We don't use it so I can't confirm.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
1) No snapshots has been confirmed,
2) Domain Users had r/w access to the share.

:lol: Get me out of this place.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

So it's unsupported in S4. And then it's supported in the next sentence? Huh.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Jeoh posted:

So it's unsupported in S4. And then it's supported in the next sentence? Huh.

It's unsupported from S4 if you have Fast Boot enabled, but it IS supported if you make administrative changes to disable Fast Boot.

From S5, a full Shutdown, it is entirely unsupported and there is no way to make it work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

1) No snapshots has been confirmed,
2) Domain Users had r/w access to the share.

:lol: Get me out of this place.

Now every time someone asks you were their files are, respond with "raid is not a backup."

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Holy fuckin moly I just had the stupidest argument with my senior admin about how VPNs work. We have a vendor router inside our network with host to host connectivity to their location over the internet. He says this is a lovely setup because our firewall can't see the VPN packets transferred through our firewall.

:eng101: Yes we can. The original TCP packet is encrypted but a new packet header is added that the firewall can interpret and read. The outside packet is logged.
:downs: No, once the tunnel is established everything is passed inside that tunnel and our firewall can't see it because the tunnel is encrypted.
:eng101: It's not a stream of data. Our firewall still needs to route from one physical port to the other, which means it needs packet header info with source and destination addresses
:downs: There's nothing to route, the packets just go through the tunnel
:eng101: When we pass the packets to the internet they still need to be routed by the ISP, so they need a destination IP address on every packet.
:downs: Nooo, that's not how it works. ISP just sends the packets along the tunnel that's opened from host to host.
:eng101: ISP doesn't hold any route information or memory of the tunnel at all! From the outside, it looks like any other packet, it's just holding another encrypted packet inside the payload! Their host tosses the outside header, decrypts the packet, and routes the internal packet on their network.
:downs: I don't think so.

Fucker, it's not a literal physical tunnel, I studied this poo poo, I know what the gently caress I'm talking about. You've been here 7 years and can't explain how a VPN works??

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is this person Ted Stevens by any chance?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Ants posted:

Step 1 of the Dell Sonicwall troubleshooting play book is "have you reset the device to defaults and entered all the configuration again?". No, gently caress you, look at the logs and at least attempt to work out what is going on. It's not my fault your config files are some hideous binary things with no way of editing them so any gently caress ups caused by your abhorrent QA processes are going to stick around until you tip the piece of poo poo out the rack and throw it away.

Step one of troubleshooting Dell Sonicwall devices is get them the gently caress off of your network.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well, yeah.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

DigitalMocking posted:

Step one of troubleshooting Dell Sonicwall devices is get them the gently caress off of your network.

Seriously. Go Office Space on those fuckers.

Also pissing me off today: SURPIRSE! loving PRINTER TECHS. I have a tech out at a remote site setting up scan to email on an office printer. He claims it doesn't work, but then it does, and oh now it doesn't again. Definitely not working now, but that email sent but this didn't.

I literally cannot get any useful information to troubleshoot this issue through his dumb rear end. I'm not even sure he can spell SMTP as I have asked for the configured address information at least 7 times.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My site's EMR completely poo poo the bed and they are on an internal disaster.

And I'm off today haha.

And my coworker decided he wanted to call in today too, even though I told him I was doing the same thing like 5 times. Dropping the team to 2 guys knowingly in bird culture is generally considered a dick move.

I offered to go in since I mainly just wanted to get some sleep for a change.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I hate EMR issues cause all of that software is hot garbage.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I really don't know how yall have so many issues with Sonicwalls

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Holy fuckin moly I just had the stupidest argument with my senior admin about how VPNs work. We have a vendor router inside our network with host to host connectivity to their location over the internet. He says this is a lovely setup because our firewall can't see the VPN packets transferred through our firewall.

:eng101: Yes we can. The original TCP packet is encrypted but a new packet header is added that the firewall can interpret and read. The outside packet is logged.
:downs: No, once the tunnel is established everything is passed inside that tunnel and our firewall can't see it because the tunnel is encrypted.
:eng101: It's not a stream of data. Our firewall still needs to route from one physical port to the other, which means it needs packet header info with source and destination addresses
:downs: There's nothing to route, the packets just go through the tunnel
:eng101: When we pass the packets to the internet they still need to be routed by the ISP, so they need a destination IP address on every packet.
:downs: Nooo, that's not how it works. ISP just sends the packets along the tunnel that's opened from host to host.
:eng101: ISP doesn't hold any route information or memory of the tunnel at all! From the outside, it looks like any other packet, it's just holding another encrypted packet inside the payload! Their host tosses the outside header, decrypts the packet, and routes the internal packet on their network.
:downs: I don't think so.

Fucker, it's not a literal physical tunnel, I studied this poo poo, I know what the gently caress I'm talking about. You've been here 7 years and can't explain how a VPN works??

How does NAT work. :downs:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

ratbert90 posted:

How does NAT work. :downs:

It's more like a tube than a dump-truck.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Skandranon posted:

It's more like a tube than a dump-truck.

Are you suggesting the Internet is a truckload of dumps?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I hate EMR issues cause all of that software is hot garbage.

You said it.

How the gently caress does a report have rue ability to discharge every patient in the place. This place is breaking poo poo everywhere trying to stop ransomware but we just break the EMR our own selves anyway.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

go3 posted:

Trying to use the wireless on them. gently caress sonicpoint.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

go3 posted:

Because they're poo poo?

The throughput is poo poo. The VPN is poo poo. The site to site VPN is poo poo. Firmware updates are poo poo. The wireless is poo poo. They don't do application signatures for their UTM

I think that about covers it.

disclaimer: I haven't used a Sonicwall since 2013 about a year after Dell bought them and the brand went to poo poo. Before that (2008-2012), they were good for SOHO deployments where you just didn't have money for anything else. Maybe they've gotten a lot better, but my deployments after they became Dell branded were all painful and I feel bad for the guy who took over my customers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They are still blaming the Dell acquisition for the support being worthless. The sales blurb for their certs claim that passing gives you the ability to skip tier 1 and go to someone who knows what they are doing, but I have had their head of support for EMEA admit that there are no support tiers - if the guy who picks up your case has no loving idea what they are doing, then they just work with someone more experienced in the back end but still act as the go-between. It's a shitshow.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Thanks Ants posted:

They are still blaming the Dell acquisition for the support being worthless. The sales blurb for their certs claim that passing gives you the ability to skip tier 1 and go to someone who knows what they are doing, but I have had their head of support for EMEA admit that there are no support tiers - if the guy who picks up your case has no loving idea what they are doing, then they just work with someone more experienced in the back end but still act as the go-between. It's a shitshow.

This honestly explains a lot. IDK how they still aren't integrated with Dell 4 years in.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
poo poo pissing me off: lack of official powershell module for McAfee ePO. Everything is community driven and done via API, so everything is very messy.

FWIW, there IS this:
https://github.com/Kreloc/Posh-ePoAPI/blob/master/Get-ePoGroup.ps1

Which is helpful and useful because its not compiled dlls, unlike this other thing:
https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-4297

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spent a day and a half trying to track down an issue with routing between two sites - one site could initiate connections to the other and receive a reply back, the second site just got timeouts. The company managing the firewall at the far end was insistent their config was fine and the issue must be our firewall rules. Pushed back, included a copy of our configs, packet captures etc. Finally after like a day of head scratching they escalated the issue to someone who thought to do "show ip route" which revealed a static route with a subnet mask large enough to include the subnets on our end of the VPN tunnel, with the interface set to the LAN side.

Thanks guys. The customer will have to eat some hours billed at a weekend rate, I'm sure they'll be really happy with you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Thanks Ants posted:

Spent a day and a half trying to track down an issue with routing between two sites - one site could initiate connections to the other and receive a reply back, the second site just got timeouts. The company managing the firewall at the far end was insistent their config was fine and the issue must be our firewall rules. Pushed back, included a copy of our configs, packet captures etc. Finally after like a day of head scratching they escalated the issue to someone who thought to do "show ip route" which revealed a static route with a subnet mask large enough to include the subnets on our end of the VPN tunnel, with the interface set to the LAN side.

Thanks guys. The customer will have to eat some hours billed at a weekend rate, I'm sure they'll be really happy with you.

AT&T hosed a client of mine like that when we were doing a p2p T1 install between two locations. An hour job of building router configs and plugging poo poo in turned into 3 days of redoing everything and ordering more crap only to find out it would never work because AT&T hosed up the install order originally 2 months prior. Client took our invoice of 3 days labor and sent it to their AT&T rep who surprisingly credited their account for that. Ultimately that job cost us the client because some of the higher ups just blamed us for it aswell. Blessing in the end I guess.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I don't know if this is related, but Verizon dumped its FIOS and DSL on Frontier this weekend and it's been hell for a lot of people.

I had to change my girlfriend's mom's DNS settings for her stuff to work. Luckily I switched from VZ's poo poo service a month ago.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

skooma512 posted:

I don't know if this is related, but Verizon dumped its FIOS and DSL on Frontier this weekend and it's been hell for a lot of people.

I had to change my girlfriend's mom's DNS settings for her stuff to work. Luckily I switched from VZ's poo poo service a month ago.

Why was her DNS not provided by DHCP, or hard set to 8.8.{8,4}.{8,4} ?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

Why was her DNS not provided by DHCP, or hard set to 8.8.{8,4}.{8,4} ?

You do understand that the dns severs provided by ISPs have issues from time to time. Services changing hands between companies would give a reason for weird service distributions. Verizon's dhcp provided dns was probably having issues.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

You do understand that the dns severs provided by ISPs have issues from time to time. Services changing hands between companies would give a reason for weird service distributions. Verizon's dhcp provided dns was probably having issues.

Thats why anything that doesn't need local resolution should be going to 8.8.8.8. Never rely on the ISP DNS servers, they gently caress up far too often.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

Thats why anything that doesn't need local resolution should be going to 8.8.8.8. Never rely on the ISP DNS servers, they gently caress up far too often.

That isn't always sound advise. What if there is route issue between you and that dns server? Your Isp provided dns server not only should be faster, but it also should be up if your service is also up. There are times when Google/open Dns might resolve issues, but it's not a silver bullet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If there's a routing issue between you and those anycast DNS services then being able to resolve addresses that you can't connect to probably won't help you much.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

That isn't always sound advise. What if there is route issue between you and that dns server? Your Isp provided dns server not only should be faster, but it also should be up if your service is also up. There are times when Google/open Dns might resolve issues, but it's not a silver bullet.

That's a pretty huge "if" for residential internet from the big ISPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

Awful big should there. My personal testing has shown Google DNS to be faster than any ISP DNS servers I have ever dealt with for residential service, and more reliable. I've had Comcast/TWC DNS go down a few times over the years, but never seen Google do so. I know they have, but they have never impacted me while ISP downs have.