Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

can the newphone auto track bike rides and such? I know it'll do steps but idgaf how far I walked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

can the newphone auto track bike rides and such? I know it'll do steps but idgaf how far I walked

you need an app [of which there are approximately 1 million]

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

you need an app [of which there are approximately 1 million]

k I installed strava. hope this works without me ever having to look at it :)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

confirmed, the Steve Edition has the same Cirrus audio ICs from the 6s. significantly better than the iphone 6 and its predecessors

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

k I installed strava. hope this works without me ever having to look at it :)

it does not, you'll need to open the app and mash go

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

DuckConference posted:

it does not, you'll need to open the app and mash go
welp, not going to do that

thought a big point of the m8/m9 was auto tracking biking (without gps) as well as steps

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

neonbregna posted:

Apple Music is confirmed good https://instagram.com/p/BDqGp0JDvPa/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I came to post this because lmao it is the best Apple Music ad possible, REALLY GLAD I WAS LATE TO THE GAME

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

kanye west's new album The Life Of Pablo is now available on Apple Music. it's being constantly updated, tweaked and reworked by Yeezy himself, so it's a little different with every listen. and with the high-end DAC on the new iPhone SE, the music experience just got a whole lot better.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
It's good to post advertisements in YOSPOS, the forum that vehemently adblocks and kvetches about ads nonstop.

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

Smythe posted:

It's good to post advertisements in YOSPOS, the forum that vehemently adblocks and kvetches about ads nonstop.

But what about when the ad is objectively funny because holy poo poo Taylor Swift, the person who once threatened to pull her music from Apple Music, just faceplanted while listening to drake, in an ad for Apple Music.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hemick posted:

But what about when the ad is objectively funny because holy poo poo Taylor Swift, the person who once threatened to pull her music from Apple Music, just faceplanted while listening to drake, in an ad for Apple Music.

lol if you fell for that

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

thought a big point of the m8/m9 was auto tracking biking (without gps) as well as steps

yeah i want this too i ride to work

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I can't wait for the 7 to be announced to remove the headphone jack and everyone freaks out for 3 months before they realize it isn't a big deal who gives a poo poo

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I can't wait for the 7 to be announced to remove the headphone jack and everyone freaks out for 3 months before they realize it isn't a big deal who gives a poo poo

I use my headphone jack every day because we cannot use Bluetooth in the office

I'm prob not ever upgrading because of that

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

there will be a tiny lightning to 3.5mm adapter don't be an idiot

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

I hope there is, I'll be fine then

but if it's just Bluetooth no sale

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

And then the iPhone 7s will be USB-C, because gently caress you that's why.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Hemick posted:

I literally could not care less about the content of the ad.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Hemick posted:

lol. as if apple would ever implement a standard connector, even to gently caress over their own customers and drive accessory sales

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

infernal machines posted:

lol. as if apple would ever implement a standard connector, even to gently caress over their own customers and drive accessory sales

lmao because anything USB-C actually operates standards compliant.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Smythe posted:

I literally could not care less about the content of the ad.

tbh I think relating the content of the ad is the same as posting the ad itself.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

tbh I think relating the content of the ad is the same as posting the ad itself.

Agreed

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Hemick posted:

sure, why not. but also, who cares. lightning was because the USB connector spec is garbage and surprise surprise months after apple made the usb consortium look like idiots they created the C connector

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Greetings. I only own an iPhone. Anyway the lightning port is nice but in this mans opinion its just yet another proprietary Apple connector, but at least its not as lovely and looks less likely to break off inside my phone at some point. You know what would have been better than a Lightning port? A freaking USB port.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the only thing it can track are steps/general movement via acceleration and I guess some idea of height via barometer or something?

proper tracking of biking means gps, and you can't run gps all the time without using a lot of power

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

DuckConference posted:

the only thing it can track are steps/general movement via acceleration and I guess some idea of height via barometer or something?

proper tracking of biking means gps, and you can't run gps all the time without using a lot of power

ehh, if you're willing to give up super-detailed resolution you can cheat a bit by only take a GPS lock every minute+ and referencing that against your mapping info to approximate distance/speed/elevation. would only work for road cycling, but its something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ehh, if you're willing to give up super-detailed resolution you can cheat a bit by only take a GPS lock every minute+ and referencing that against your mapping info to approximate distance/speed/elevation. would only work for road cycling, but its something

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Larry Parrish posted:

Greetings. I only own an iPhone. Anyway the lightning port is nice but in this mans opinion its just yet another proprietary Apple connector, but at least its not as lovely and looks less likely to break off inside my phone at some point. You know what would have been better than a Lightning port? A freaking USB port.

micro-USB was Very Bad but i can see them moving to USB-C in a year or two

right now USB-C is in the quality? we don't need no stinkin quality phase

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand what was wrong with mini-USB.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Larry Parrish posted:

no it wouldnt. usb was poo poo in 2012 when lighting showed up and the only reason its not poo poo now is that apple donated the usb c design. you dont deserve an iphone. go get an android with your android-tier port

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

yeah but can you do that 24/7 (or 16/7 I guess)

also how does it know you're biking vs driving if you never hit any buttons

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Look at that loving Tay vid

Look at it

7 separate touches to get that iPhone to play music

Holy gently caress

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Also the play button on iPad music app is tiny, not highlighted well, and all the way off in a not-corner

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

poty posted:

no it wouldnt. usb was poo poo in 2012 when lighting showed up and the only reason its not poo poo now is that apple donated the usb c design. you dont deserve an iphone. go get an android with your android-tier port

lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

DuckConference posted:

yeah but can you do that 24/7 (or 16/7 I guess)

also how does it know you're biking vs driving if you never hit any buttons

bike and car would have pretty different speed profiles, you could differentiate. heavy traffic would probably confuse it but in most situations averaging over 20mph isn't going to be someone on a bike unless they're on a very long hill or a pro cyclist which get far outside typical usage. I agree that hitting a button is still surefire, but you could probably guess it right the vast majority of the time

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

if apple did it they would probably couple it with the fitbit or watch to monitor heartrate since that should be a sure-fire way to tell

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

if apple did it they would probably couple it with the fitbit or watch to monitor heartrate since that should be a sure-fire way to tell

except for all the lardasses jerking it in traffic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

can I get some sort of prize for how terrible that snype was

• Locked thread