Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dd209
Sep 21, 2015

Lassitude posted:

Chaos uses a horde mechanic, which I think means that they don't take cities or build buildings per se. Rather, their armies double as sort of mobile cities, and they can camp out and recruit from anywhere. I'd guess that if Chaos works that way, their ability to recruit will likely be impacted by the degree of Chaos corruption in a province. Maybe someone who has played Attila has a better idea though.

It worked in Attila pretty much how you described it. Hordes were both armies and cities, gaining bonuses when they were encamped or performed certain actions (e.g. sacking a city). They consumed a large amount of food per province they were stationed in - ally or enemy - and froze recruitment/replenishment. In effect this meant that you were both highly mobile and highly vulnerable, causing friction with allies when camped in their provinces, losing all movement points when razing a city, and getting debuffs if too close to another horde. I remember a lot of people complained that playing as The Huns felt more like being a bunch of starving, desperate refugees than the vanguard of an empire. I strongly suspect we'll have a similar problem with Chaos Warriors - when controlled by AI they'll likely get a bunch of doomstacks, but people with the DLC will have to play them as guerrila warriors, nipping at the edges of large factions and avoiding their main forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Lassitude posted:

Chaos uses a horde mechanic, which I think means that they don't take cities or build buildings per se. Rather, their armies double as sort of mobile cities, and they can camp out and recruit from anywhere. I'd guess that if Chaos works that way, their ability to recruit will likely be impacted by the degree of Chaos corruption in a province. Maybe someone who has played Attila has a better idea though.

having played attila this is basically the horde mechanic, though the mechanic suffers significantly from not being able to risk your armies or throw them away in cannon fodder attacks, since making one wrong move can mean gg and having to load several turns back (my hun campaign had this problem when ERE got its act together and I drowned under my armies getting hit by 4 doomstacks each simultaneously). I would suggest that the horde's income would be tied more to the corrupted provinces or something than making lovely wagon factories, it would encourage heading to richer provinces for more looting

edit: two of us made basically the same post at the same time :eek:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
In the campaign video for the Vamps you can see they get an innate -40 relationship value with the dwarves. so thats the only real hurdle, it looks like. i imagine, past the sort of narrative of a "desperate alliance", the real reason he got to be buddy with the dwarves is mostly that enough stuff built up that the -40 stuff was balanced out and the dwarf ai didn't really actually factor in any sort of strategic logic past "IF DIPLO VALUE > X THEN ALLY", like "if i dont ally with these people i hate i am going to die" or any sort of cost-benefit analysis

i still hate loving -/+ diplomatic relationship sliders for being really shallow like that, considering its actually sort of important in terms of strategic warfare stuff

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

Tiler Kiwi posted:

In the campaign video for the Vamps you can see they get an innate -40 relationship value with the dwarves. so thats the only real hurdle, it looks like. i imagine, past the sort of narrative of a "desperate alliance", the real reason he got to be buddy with the dwarves is mostly that enough stuff built up that the -40 stuff was balanced out and the dwarf ai didn't really actually factor in any sort of strategic logic past "IF DIPLO VALUE > X THEN ALLY", like "if i dont ally with these people i hate i am going to die" or any sort of cost-benefit analysis

i still hate loving -/+ diplomatic relationship sliders for being really shallow like that, considering its actually sort of important in terms of strategic warfare stuff

Yeah, it seems to be the same system as Attila, in that cutural/religious debuffs would cause the various barbarian factions to war with each were it not for the bonuses from warring with the Western Roman Empire. As the WRE is driven out of Europe, those bonuses become smaller and smaller as the number of military engagements with the WRE falls, whilst the debuff from Imperium continues to grow. Thus, everyone usually goes to war with Rome, alliances break down unless there's a unified front against the Huns, then the Picts/Calendonians/Eblanians go to war with the germanic factions, the germanic factions go to war over arian/latin christianity and paganism, the western roman separatists become the new roman boogieman and so forth.

So in Warhammer, Dwarfs and Empire will usually ally, but if a Karak favours the VC because of war with the greenskins or another VC faction, there's a chance they may go to war to defend the VC and all hell breaks lose. I like the chaos that can result from this system, but some of the Rome 2/Attila mods went really overboard with alliances and such, causing every single little conflict to turn into WW1.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone bought Warhammer 40,000 : Eternal Crusade? It seems to have incredible potential.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
New video released, introducing the terrorgheist unit for Vampire Counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ64xCMV76I

Mans posted:

Has anyone bought Warhammer 40,000 : Eternal Crusade? It seems to have incredible potential.

Eternal Crusade thread

Seems promising, cautiously optimistic.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Man Dark Omen was amazing, branching quest chains, army management, diverse cast, magic, a motherfucking steam tank that I ran over Nagash with, secret items (the horn that autocrumbled zombies was awesome)... Good memories

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Angry Lobster posted:

New video released, introducing the terrorgheist unit for Vampire Counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ64xCMV76I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ64xCMV76I&t=72s

That loving screech :stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CommissarMega posted:

Man, I'd sacrifice a thousand Imperial souls to the Dark Gods if it means getting a working copy of Dark Omen on the PC.

I've spent so many hours trying to get Dark Omen to work properly on modern windows :argh:

GOG where are you?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Holy poo poo

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
They better show off Chaos next, I WANNA SEE SOME TENTACLES DAMNIT :argh:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I've spent so many hours trying to get Dark Omen to work properly on modern windows :argh:

GOG where are you?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azOvRwrqz2M

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Shitstained murderhobos describes most pen and paper RPG adventures perfectly. :allears:

In the empire, wandering around killing people randomly and looting everything that's not nailed down tends to piss off most people.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Klaus88 posted:

In the empire, wandering around killing people randomly and looting everything that's not nailed down tends to piss off most people.

Except when you're killing/looting elves.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This tread just made me read up on the new "end times" and "age of Sigmar" lore, and wow... They literally kill off their whole setting with all built up lore, all branding, all familiarity, all memorable character of the various factions, just to make it into some planescape 40k poo poo? The charmy over the top grimdark setting is replaced with some random rear end dnd setting that is not even that brand of funny grimdark because it simply lacks the rich setting. Like, it almost feels like they want their fantasy franchise to directly compete with their other 40k franchise since they took such obvious steps to transfer key defining characteristics of the 40k setting to the fantasy setting. Its really bizarre and I hope the warhammer setting is not their main cash cow.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

How is Age of Sigmar doing, anyways? I'd like to assume the answer is "poorly" because it is garbage, but 40k Space Marines are very similar garbage that plenty of garbage people pour tons of money into. It would be funny and sad if AoS ended up being a solid, profitable move on GW's part.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It is selling like poison.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Surprise, surprise, pairing an awful setting with an awful almost-game was a bad idea. Killing an established setting that had been around for decades and its associated game are just bonuses.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5-Tuo1bmFM&t=409s

The second part is fantastic too, gotta love the dwarf.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you really need to know how awful Age of Sigmar is, one of the super big features they're toting around right now is that they're going to add a point cost system to units soon.

It's just been kind of a free-for-all for a while.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

If you really need to know how awful Age of Sigmar is, one of the super big features they're toting around right now is that they're going to add a point cost system to units soon.

It's just been kind of a free-for-all for a while.

This isn't even what they're doing. I think it's just scoring for tournaments or something dumb. Age of Sigmar doesn't have point values and this is somehow touted as a good thing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao gently caress

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Babe Magnet posted:

It is selling like poison.

Hey Poison has some redeeming qualities like getting rid of pests.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
For many years I have prepared myself for disappointments of a Total War release. I dared not to hope.... but this game is actually looking kinda good?

Every new video I see of a battle or campaign map and it looks a little bit better. Actual WFB units brought to (un)life, actual mechanics that fit the races, Ork voice acting is loving spot on...

I'm falling into the CA trap again :negative:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

This isn't even what they're doing. I think it's just scoring for tournaments or something dumb. Age of Sigmar doesn't have point values and this is somehow touted as a good thing.

Wait, what!? So what's to stop someone with a large collection from sticking their entire army onto the table and steamrolling their opponent (aside from being beaten around the head with a nearby rulebook)?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

MadJackMcJack posted:

Wait, what!? So what's to stop someone with a large collection from sticking their entire army onto the table and steamrolling their opponent (aside from being beaten around the head with a nearby rulebook)?

Nothing. Current meta is bringing a few duffel bags of miniatures and dumping them onto the board

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

MadJackMcJack posted:

The fact your twisted brain could conceive of such an outlandish notion of that proves you're the type of WAAC trash that has no place at a table. You disgust me.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zudgemud posted:

This tread just made me read up on the new "end times" and "age of Sigmar" lore, and wow... They literally kill off their whole setting with all built up lore, all branding, all familiarity, all memorable character of the various factions, just to make it into some planescape 40k poo poo? The charmy over the top grimdark setting is replaced with some random rear end dnd setting that is not even that brand of funny grimdark because it simply lacks the rich setting. Like, it almost feels like they want their fantasy franchise to directly compete with their other 40k franchise since they took such obvious steps to transfer key defining characteristics of the 40k setting to the fantasy setting. Its really bizarre and I hope the warhammer setting is not their main cash cow.

CommissarMega posted:

"The Fyreslayers are flame-bearded Duardin mercenaries that worshipped Grimnir. They were one of the forces that rose up to battle after the first strikes of the Stormcast Eternals in Realm of Fire. They fought against Chaos but only if paid in Ur-Gold, however if a generous enough counter-offer was made they would willingly fight alongside the forces of chaos.[1] All Fyreslayers can sense the presence of this metal to some degree, but only the Auric Runesmasters can trial it across the Mortal Realms.[5] When a Fyreslayer swears an oath it is an unbreakable bond and will fight as if they were part of the payer's army, but they except the same level of commitment from those that retain their services. Those that break such promises are not expected to live long enough to regret it.[3a]"

CommissarMega posted:

So it seems that AoS seems to be trying to get back to the good ol' days of silly Warhammer. Just look at these ACTUAL rules:

quote:

The Grail Vow: You can re-roll all failed hit rolls for this unit if, before rolling the dice, you hold aloft a grail or goblet and shout ‘For the Lady’ in a heroic voice.

quote:

Pride of the Reiksguard: Helborg’s skill is as legendary as his moustache is magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit rolls when attacking with the Runefang so long as you have a bigger and more impressive moustache than your opponent.

quote:

And He Did Say 'War', And The World Did Tremble...: If Settra the Imperishable uses this ability, you must hold out your hand and utter 'War' in a supremely commanding tone. If you do, then until your next Hero phase you can add 1 to all hit rolls for Death units in your army that are within 18" of Settra during the combat phase. If a Deathrattle unit is affected by this ability, you can also had 1 to their wound rolls in the combat phase. However, if Settra is your general, you must not kneel for any reason during the battle. If you do, even once, you immediately lose the battle. Settra does not kneel!

And my personal favourites:

quote:

1: In your hero phase, the Screaming Bell tolls. Roll two dice, add the scores together and consult the table below to see what happens (no modifiers can be applied to this roll).
(If you somehow roll 13 on 2d6) Improbable Victory!: Against all probability and reason, you immediately win the battle (and are hereafter branded a cheat – not that that should bother a true skaven general).

quote:

The Mad Count: Marius Leitdorf is an exceptional swordsman, even if he is totally insane. If, during your hero phase, you pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland Runefang until your next hero phase. If you actually talk to your imaginary horse you can re-roll failed wound rolls as well.

I dunno, I'm kind of warming up to AoS.

EDIT: Oh my God.

quote:

One Bat Short of a Belfry: Konrad is a violent lunatic, and his temper does little to help his stretched sanity. If, during your hero phase, you talk to Konrad von Carstein, you can re-roll all hit rolls of 1 for him until your next hero phase. If Konrad von Carstein talks back to you, reroll all failed hit rolls instead.

So many original terms for something utterly completely unoriginal. At least 40K has the charming, over-the-top grimdarkness. I can't believe I actually tried to defend AoS when it first came out :suicide:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 2, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Vermintide already resulted in a lot of poor bastards interested in the setting being turned away in disgust, I can't wait to see the confusion and dismay that TW:W brings to the curious.

I'm still amazed that someone in GW decided blowing up a setting before a genuine big name game dev studio's strategy game based on the setting was released was a good idea, when the 40k setting got an influx of fans due to the RTS games and such. I really, really want to read some tell all book in 20 years about what the gently caress went on.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
IIRC, GW's execs are ridiculously insulated, to the point where they see Pokemon and video games as passing fads that their core audience (modelers, as opposed to people who actually play games) wouldn't give more than a passing look to. That's the reason 40K games vary so dramatically in quality- GW really doesn't care what random Tom, Dick or Harry makes them.

EDIT: More informed articles about GW's situation. 1d4chan also has their own summary of GW, its history and its policies. I'll admit I'm just a layman, but despite the usual layer of somewhat immature commentary, it does seem pretty comprehensive.

"This article posted:

In 2014 Tom Kirby, longstanding chairman, the former chief executive who ran the company during its rapid growth in the 1990’s, said it doesn’t do market research:

quote:

Our market is a niche market made up of people who want to collect our miniatures. They tend to be male, middle-class, discerning teenagers and adults. We do no demographic research, we have no focus groups, we do not ask the market what it wants. These things are in a niche.

A later statement by Kirby's replacement said that GW might be changing things, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 2, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think it came out somewhere that GW also sees stuff like the upcoming Total Warhammer as competition.

They can't compete with us if they're using that old busted setting when we've got that new Sigmar hotness.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The utter insanity of these people is seriously completely unsurprising and deeply dispiriting at the same time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Killing the tabletop game made a lot of business sense because now they don't have to maintain stock of old product that wasn't moving and they can still make bank on the franchise via all these drat videogames. Freeing up the IP to CA etc. is also good for the games themselves, as they won't be so restricted in what they can feature.

Potentially they could have doubled down and hoped for a surge in model sales due to renewed interest, but it's less risk and probably a better bet to assume that kids will buy more dlc for Total Warhammer than actual models of their armies.

Guaranteed profit for less work on their end. Sound business strategy.

That Age of Sigmar is a disaster doesn't change that. Warhammer Fantasy is going to be more profitable to them than it has been in years despite zero model sales.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 2, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Their old strategy of letting other stores do market research to find affluent areas was also thrifty genius that worked for years.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

sassassin posted:

Their old strategy of letting other stores do market research to find affluent areas was also thrifty genius that worked for years.

Genius indeed!

Except the part where they started opening up GW brick and mortars in those areas to siphon sales directly from those stores, only to flop massively and close them up, effectively sawing off their own feet. :ohdear:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

For a company that hates digital games so much it's kind of funny they're doubling down hard on audio books and screwing their authors. I've been waiting years for the next Ravenor and Gaunt 's Ghosts books and by all accounts the delay is entirely on GW's hands.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Syrnn posted:

Genius indeed!

Except the part where they started opening up GW brick and mortars in those areas to siphon sales directly from those stores, only to flop massively and close them up, effectively sawing off their own feet. :ohdear:

How were Games Workshop siphoning sales from Marks & Spencer?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
By other stores I assumed you meant independent retailers of GW products, so he probably did the same.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I still can't get over the fact that they've decided to call skeletons Deathrattles.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Vermintide already resulted in a lot of poor bastards interested in the setting being turned away in disgust, I can't wait to see the confusion and dismay that TW:W brings to the curious.
what
why
i've spent 60 hours playing that crazy nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fellblade posted:

By other stores I assumed you meant independent retailers of GW products, so he probably did the same.

In the 90s their strategy was to see where the more upmarket stores opened up and starting a store nearby, because if those much bigger companies thought it was a good idea it must be an affluent area.

• Locked thread