Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

This has to be some April Fool's thing, right?
No.

The only high-profile name released in the original case was David Vitter, senator from Louisiana. But he won reelection in 2010 :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

No.

The only high-profile name released in the original case was David Vitter, senator from Louisiana. But he won reelection in 2010 :psyduck:

We denied his bid to take Jindal's place in the Governor's mansion at least. :shobon:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

fade5 posted:

ISIL has actually changed their tune on that one. Here's how it went:

-ISIL taunted the US to "bring your planes".
-The US brought our planes.
-ISIL lost their asses in Kobani as a result.
-Ahrar Al-Sham (Nusra-linked Salafist Syrian rebel group) mocked ISIL for getting what they asked for:

-ISIL is continuing to lose their asses on basically every front, and have been for like a year.
-ISIL now thoroughly regrets taunting the US to "bring your planes".

You'd think that there would be a few Iraq War vets who would tell them what a terrible idea that was.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

So his threat is basically "Legally allow me to release these so I can legally release these, or I'll illegally release these!"

That sounds like a hard bargain, yeah, he really has the court on the ropes there.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I bet it's something completely underwhelming like a campaign manager who's since been let go or a communications director or whatever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ElegantFugue posted:

So his threat is basically "Legally allow me to release these so I can legally release these, or I'll illegally release these!"

That sounds like a hard bargain, yeah, he really has the court on the ropes there.

And then they are faced with the prospect of later having to hear an appeal on exactly how far you can push "compelling interest" with regard to gag orders and the phone records of whores and the hookers they pay.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Horking Delight posted:

I bet it's something completely underwhelming like a campaign manager who's since been let go or a communications director or whatever.

If it's a former campaign manager for Hillary, then the story'll have legs. If it's for anyone else it'll be forgotten.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Horking Delight posted:

I bet it's nothing and completely impossible to authenticate because the disbarred lawyer involved is a smurf's curly away from signing up with the SovCit movement. Also a huge birther.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ElegantFugue posted:

Reviewing it, it sounds more like the threat is to release them if the court ignores him entirely, which is slightly more reasonable.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FAUXTON posted:

And then they are faced with the prospect of later having to hear an appeal on exactly how far you can push "compelling interest" with regard to gag orders and the phone records of whores and the hookers they pay.

:golfclap:

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

haveblue posted:

Reviewing it, it sounds more like the threat is to release them if the court ignores him entirely, which is slightly more reasonable.

Yes, but he's asking the court to let him release them. So if they listen to him, he can release them anyway. And if they don't, he will release them anyway. It just doesn't seem like he actually has any leverage here if he's going to do it no matter what.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

2016 is a historically amazing election year. Given the urgency that he is insisting on releasing these records, they are gonna have to be amazing as gently caress. It can only be either Cruz or Trump given his sudden insistence that time is of the essence. Hillary has been the presumed nominee in 2008 and is set to cruise to the nomination this year, which similarly rules out Bernie. Meanwhile Cruz and Trump were both impossible candidates until recently. However, in order to take down Trump that's got to be some next level poo poo that he was paying for, and he's probably more likely to be frequenting a New York madam. So Cruz seems the most likely suspect. Please let it be. Although maybe Cruz paid extra to have a three way with Trump and an illegal Mexican woman who role played as a Muslim.

Alternatively, the only reason the list wasn't released before was that Scalia's name was on it and the lawyer thinks now is a great time to get that poo poo out to the people.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It'll be all of the candidates. With each other.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Neeksy posted:

It'll be all of the candidates. With each other.

No way anyone paid money to have sex with Ted Cruz. I firmly believe it to be humanly impossible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

They're expanding reasons for impeachment because the courts ruled that they'd cut school funding to an unacceptable level. Kansas will be really hosed if Missouri can hold their poo poo together long enough for the schools in Johnson County(rich KC suburb on the KS side) to really start feeling the effects of all this poo poo and people who live there for the schools jump poo poo to the Missouri suburbs. I remember recently reading a story about how they've basically thrown all the extra money they legally can at them to keep them afloat before they have to start distributing it around.

Not to mention Kansas is basically flailing to try to find a way to destroy their Justice system because it disagrees with their attempts to ruin the state. If they start impeaching judges, I suspect the US federal court system will get very busy in Kansas.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
After watching the Maddow segment I don't really see anything here. His "death switch" doesn't promise a release of anything; it's just a claim that if someone kills him something will come out.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Uh.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Kro-Bar posted:

After watching the Maddow segment I don't really see anything here. His "death switch" doesn't promise a release of anything; it's just a claim that if someone kills him something will come out.

There are rumors that the DC Madam was murdered, rather than the official ruling of suicide. Also: one of the candidates is the Zodiac Killer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ No I'm sure her suicide was totally legit and not actually a murder or a heavily compelled suicide. It's just coincidence that she could've destroyed a lot of political careers when she got around to writing a book and/or selling movie rights.. :v:

Lote posted:

Apparently, the US Postal Service has a law enforcement arm which can investigate and make arrests.

And it's the oldest federal law enforcement agency :eng101:

I want to believe.

Seeing footage of some USPS officers walk in to a NYPD station and arrest these cops would be amazing.

computer parts posted:

Dirty bombs are only slightly more realistic of a threat than "computer viruses to turn your computer into a bomb", if only because the former is actually technically achievable.

I'm pretty sure idiots with bitcoin miners have made their computers explode.

haveblue posted:

The DC Madam's lawyer has announced that if the Supreme Court doesn't grant him permission to release the records, he will violate the original order and release them anyway. Also that he has created a dead man's switch for the files which will email them all to the press if he finds himself unable to reset it every 72 hours. We are literally living in a Dan Brown novel.

I like this lawyer.

He's probably gonna go to jail, but I still like him. If those records have a current candidate listed as a client then that's absolutely public interest. Vitter getting crushed in his run for governor kinda proves it.

twodot posted:

Isn't this specifically why impeachment exists? You shouldn't impeach someone because you don't like the name of their dog.

No, impeachment doesn't exist so you can banish people whose legally sound rulings you don't like can be replaced with your political puppets. Removing judges because they disagreed with the sitting governor (or president) would rapidly undermine the judiciary. If Kansas actually tries this I think we'll see the feds come down on the state and just loving obliterate their bullshit. I'm pretty sure what Kansas is trying to do falls right in the middle of Roberts' "gently caress you don't gently caress loving dare try to gut the judiciary" view and we'd probably get an 8-0 (or 9-0) ruling that no, Kansas, you can't destroy your state supreme court just because they won't let you violate your own loving laws.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
At this point, the remaining candidates are Ted Cruz, Donald Trump, John Kasich, Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton, and lol if you don't think 60% of those people wouldn't and couldn't have somebody killed within 72 hours.

And one of them would do it themselves. And probably leave a cute little note with a puzzle or something

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

My brain says that the reveal will be underwhelming and insignificant to the race.

But my heart wants to believe that a candidate is about to implode.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm pretty sure idiots with bitcoin miners have made their computers explode.

Not explode.

But burn violently, yes.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

QuoProQuid posted:

My brain says that the reveal will be underwhelming and insignificant to the race.

But my heart wants to believe that a candidate is about to implode.

Exactly. I want this DC Madam thing to be something, but the cynic in me expects it to be a nothing.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Soooo... How long until we know anything about this?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I can't believe we're living in the Shadowrun future jesus christ.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
He can basically name whomever is the john in this case currently. Throwing him in jail would confirm the story as would a suit for libel.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Soooo... How long until we know anything about this?

How quickly can you get that lawyer black out drunk and so high on mind altering drugs that he can't reset his dead man's switch for 72 hours?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Am I sensing a Goon Project??? We apparently have a lot of DC residents.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

fool_of_sound posted:

Won't be true until a dragon has its own hit late-night show.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

haveblue posted:

The DC Madam's lawyer has announced that if the Supreme Court doesn't grant him permission to release the records, he will violate the original order and release them anyway. Also that he has created a dead man's switch for the files which will email them all to the press if he finds himself unable to reset it every 72 hours. We are literally living in a Dan Brown novel.

this is an april fools joke, right?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Won't be true until a dragon has its own hit late-night show.

Drumpfelzahn was right there, dude.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gyges posted:

How quickly can you get that lawyer black out drunk and so high on mind altering drugs that he can't reset his dead man's switch for 72 hours?

Some tcc goon has to have some phenazepam. That stuff will knock you out for a week.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DOOP posted:

this is an april fools joke, right?

No more so than the rest of this election cycle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

fool_of_sound posted:

Harlequin has failed in his mission. Ted Cruz is but the first of the Horrors that will come for us.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Harlequin has failed in his mission. Ted Cruz is but the first of the Horrors that will come for us.

Fun fact: the developers of the Shadowrun computer games and the developers of Deus Ex: Human Revolution both went into some detail that cyberpunk as a recognizable sci-fi genre to market is effectively dead because just about every distinguishing aspect of traditional cyberpunk is now associated with real life by most people, especially younger audiences. Cyberpunk as a fiction genre is dead because it came true.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
So, Trump has changed course and is now saying that federal abortion laws are set and shouldn't be changed at this point. A pivot for the general election or a desperate attempt to get out of the primary without the nomination?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Anubis posted:

So, Trump has changed course and is now saying that federal abortion laws are set and shouldn't be changed at this point. A pivot for the general election or a desperate attempt to get out of the primary without the nomination?

If he claims every position he can claim any position.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Josh Lyman posted:

No.

while campaigning on family values

tho at the time in nola we were mostly laughing about the diapers rumor

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Anubis posted:

Heh nice try, the Trumpster will not be so easily pigeonholed into choosing a single policy position

https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/716058897790984193

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Fun fact: the developers of the Shadowrun computer games and the developers of Deus Ex: Human Revolution both went into some detail that cyberpunk as a recognizable sci-fi genre to market is effectively dead because just about every distinguishing aspect of traditional cyberpunk is now associated with real life by most people, especially younger audiences. Cyberpunk as a fiction genre is dead because it came true.

Can I get a link to this?

• Locked thread