Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

One quarter down, three to go, and US Politics ain’t getting any simpler. Between the digging in of heels at a Supreme Court nominee and the wild riotous rallies of Donald Trump, the United States sure seems to be losing its center. But hey, it’s not all bad! The median low income person can no longer afford their median low income housing, food and transportation costs!

So sit tight, because before we get to the long, hot summer, we first need to take a wild ride in the USPOL thread for April 2016!

114th Congress Bingo Card

You will be unsurprised to learn that Congress has done quite well to uphold their vow to do very little this month, but that doesn’t mean we can’t check in on our favorite branch of government!

Other News, featuring the Clinton Corner

Beware of Hillary, because she’ll control when you wake up! I think it goes without saying that that means you shouldn’t vote for Hillary!

In other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Is that reading list in the OP still considered worth reading? I've been looking for some politics books.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I'd say so, yes, but would make a few additions:

Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right by Jane Mayer
The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future by Joseph Stiglitz
Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea by Mark Blyth
Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2003 to 2005 by Thomas Ricks
The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk
Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic by Sam Quinones

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 1, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
GOP the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBx7Jg4m-o

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015
So today is the day when the GOP says "Haha, Gotcha"

Right?

gently caress.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Tennesseans: do you have any good local politics blogs you follow? I'm getting tired of trawling the local news websites for Nashville politics and would welcome any opinions on good link aggregators or blogs for it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

So California has passed a $15 minimum wage. Governor Moonbeam has promised to sign it on Monday.

It will slowly increase the minimum wage until it hits $15 in 2022 (2023 for businesses with 25 or less employees), and starting in 2024 it will tie the minimum wage to inflation.

This was a panicked effort by the legislature because two union groups had ballot propositions going up in November that would have probably passed and set the min wage to $15 a hell of a lot faster.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
California's Governor is named Moonbeam? :hellyeah: That's awesome.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Solfrann posted:

So today is the day when the GOP says "Haha, Gotcha"

Right?

gently caress.

Trump comes to the podium.

He announces that his entire run up to this point was a sham.

The lights go dim, everyone is silent, suddenly California Love starts to blare across the room.

Bah Gawd that's Marco Rubio's music!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's an old name for Jerry Brown going back to the 70s because he locked up the weird people vote in CA:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/weekinreview/07mckinley.html?_r=0

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Man, good for them. I wish I still lived there, even though it wouldn't affect me in any way.

I look forward to when it's fully kicked in and CA's economy does gangbusters, much to the shock and chagrin of the GOP.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I completely missed out on the Alabama governor's sex scandal. Was it discussed in the March thread?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

OxySnake posted:

Maybe it'll be an amazing magic trick and it turns out that the Real Rubio was in a Trump suit all along, and he had sent an automaton to all those debates.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

Man, good for them. I wish I still lived there, even though it wouldn't affect me in any way.

I look forward to when it's fully kicked in and CA's economy does gangbusters, much to the shock and chagrin of the GOP.

They'll blame it on GOP bootstraps or something else reeking of poo poo.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Here's his official song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA_zY6tqQw

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hang on there, California wage earners! Things will be getting better (in the next decade or so).

CA needs $15/hr yesterday, not in six years.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Josh Lyman posted:

I completely missed out on the Alabama governor's sex scandal. Was it discussed in the March thread?

It's been percolating for a while I believe.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

i mean the shock about Jerry Brown was, to me, that this guy from 30 years ago is still politically relevant on a state level without achieving any sort of national office.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Litany Unheard posted:

So California has passed a $15 minimum wage. Governor Moonbeam has promised to sign it on Monday.

It will slowly increase the minimum wage until it hits $15 in 2022 (2023 for businesses with 25 or less employees), and starting in 2024 it will tie the minimum wage to inflation.

This was a panicked effort by the legislature because two union groups had ballot propositions going up in November that would have probably passed and set the min wage to $15 a hell of a lot faster.

Does this end the $15 fight or are activists viewing it as a firewall?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jerry Brown is precisely the right kind of crazy needed to govern California.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

DemeaninDemon posted:

They'll blame it on GOP bootstraps or something else reeking of poo poo.
They've done too much to build up the meme of CA as a liberal blighted shithole though. Its too much cognitive dissonance to message like that. More realistically they'll just not mention it and hope that no one else does plus the Dems continue to be inept with their messaging about it too.

That will probably work well enough for GOPe purposes unfortunately. Just look how well they've been able to continue with all the tried and true Protect the Job Creators/Economy/America by Lowering Taxes myth despite what has been happening in Kansas and other states where they've been successful at implementing their dream policies.

Personally I think its going to take some sort of crisis where those policies and myths are seen as the cause of the crisis, or at least as being unable to address that crisis, by the people who keep voting Repub. for things to change in those states. I simply have no idea what that sort of crisis might look like. By any reasonable measure these people should've started voting out the current Repubs and at least replacing them with other Repubs (if not Dems) who would support other policies a few years ago but instead they've been reelected without much issue. I don't see how this doesn't all get at least a little ugly. By that I mean almost total failures of local govt. and economies in the poorer or former middle class areas in those states that went full bore with the small govt. and low-to-no-tax planks.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Radbot posted:

Hang on there, California wage earners! Things will be getting better (in the next decade or so).

Generally speaking, that quick of a hike could actually have some the negative effects that you hear about when people talk about min wage raises, that's why a gradual approach is usually best. Six years to roughly double might sound like a long time and without looking it might be a little longer than needed, but there are real issues to consider when you're talking about raising wages quickly for such a large amount of people with some very diverse economic situations across the state.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The Gop true believers don't feel cognitive dissonance.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

gohmak posted:

Does this end the $15 fight or are activists viewing it as a firewall?

The unions agreed to pull their ballot measures if this legislation passed. The fight is over, the war is won.

And the real win here is tying the wage to inflation. California will automatically raise their minimum wage along with inflation starting in 2024. Hopefully this ends up serving as a model for other states.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Jerry Brown is precisely the right kind of crazy needed to govern California.

You have to give credit to Arnold for his barely concealed contempt for the legislature though.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I remember reading in previous threads about rear end in a top hat landlords who gathered to discuss the best ways to extract ever-increasing rent from their tenants. What prevents any hike in minimum wage from finding its way into their pockets, especially if they collude to set a rising floor on rents?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Litany Unheard posted:

Cuomo announced a budget last night that includes a similar plan to get to $15, although it scales up at different speeds in different parts of the state. I think NYC is supposed to get to $15 by 2018 but other areas may take until 2022 or stop short of $15.

Nice to see some good news about state-level initiatives for a change after all the heinous regressive bullshit certain states have been pulling lately.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Radbot posted:

Christ Radbot, you're never happy. How do you get through the day?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

DemeaninDemon posted:

The Gop true believers don't feel cognitive dissonance.
They do. You can tell by how they suddenly drop the subject or instantly shift to the next talking point about the subject (if there is one, elsewise they drop it) then get angry at you if you won't let it just go.

If you're a friend or family member of them, and you're persistent and willing to put up with the BS of talking to someone who does that stuff, you can eventually make them really start to think and reassess their beliefs. On the internet however...forget it.

Grundulum posted:

What prevents any hike in minimum wage from finding its way into their pockets, especially if they collude to set a rising floor on rents?
Nothing. Rent controls are a joke in pretty much any state as far as I know. Housing prices and construction type (too many McMansions, not enough lower cost housing with good access) are a massive problem too. Those are whole other balls of poo poo that needs kicking too and aren't being discussed much if at all on a state or national level.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 1, 2016

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Grundulum posted:

I remember reading in previous threads about rear end in a top hat landlords who gathered to discuss the best ways to extract ever-increasing rent from their tenants. What prevents any hike in minimum wage from finding its way into their pockets, especially if they collude to set a rising floor on rents?

The hope there is that if they get too greedy or raise rents too quickly it would trigger the state legislature to act. That possibility might act as a brake though the more shortsighted ones (most of them, really) might try to cash in regardless.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Grundulum posted:

Ideally, some Form of rent control?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so ny, ca, and wa will have $15 min wages in the future. any other states?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Hulk Krogan posted:

Cuomo announced a budget last night that includes a similar plan to get to $15, although it scales up at different speeds in different parts of the state. I think NYC is supposed to get to $15 by 2018 but other areas may take until 2022 or stop short of $15.

Nice to see some good news about state-level initiatives for a change after all the heinous regressive bullshit certain states have been pulling lately.

It was announced as $15 for NYC, $12.50 for the rest of the state. Which is annoying but not unreasonable - the cost of living in NYC is completely out of whack with the rest of the state.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/03/26/black-mailman-handcuffed-by-nypd-while-delivering-packages-video-shows/

This get covered yet? it was a few days ago, but I didn't see it after skimming the last thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boSnHI6idsE

edit

Abel Wingnut posted:

so ny, ca, and wa will have $15 min wages in the future. any other states?

All of them once Bernie is president :smugdog:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's getting really frustrating that this sort of thing is being covered more in the media because of camera phones and such but no one seems to want to do anything about it.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

They do. You can tell by how they suddenly drop the subject or instantly shift to the next talking point about the subject (if there is one, elsewise they drop it) then get angry at you if you won't let it just go.

If you're a friend or family member of them, and you're persistent and willing to put up with the BS of talking to someone who does that stuff, you can eventually make them really start to think and reassess their beliefs. On the internet however...forget it.

Nothing. Rent controls are a joke in pretty much any state as far as I know. Housing prices and construction type (too many McMansions, not enough lower cost housing with good access) are a massive problem too. Those are whole other balls of poo poo that needs kicking too and aren't being discussed much if at all on a state or national level.

Perhaps I spend too much time in the Freep thread then.

My city's running into that hard. Not much in the way of low end homes but there are sure as hell a lot of henry-light (for the area) housing development going on. Market's brutal for those shopping for under 200k.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

OxySnake posted:

Trump comes to the podium.

He announces that his entire run up to this point was a sham.

The lights go dim, everyone is silent, suddenly California Love starts to blare across the room.

DeathSandwich posted:

Trump get's ratfucked at the RNC. All the while a shadowy robed figure sits unmoving on stage. As the votes are collected the robed figure approaches the podium unprovoked and begins breathing heavy.

As the votes get counted out, the shadowy figure removes his hood, revealing the republican contender for president in the general election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Radbot posted:

you're an accelerationist, why would you want CA to ever get a minimum wage increase

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zelder posted:

you're an accelerationist, why would you want CA to ever get a minimum wage increase

So he can complain that it's not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zelder posted:

Can't whine about incrementalism if nothing incrementally good ever happens.

• Locked thread