Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I saw it in Peru, particularly around Cusco and Ollantaytambo.

Sorry, I meant Aussie indigenous nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
This government keeps loving up at breakneck speed. Questions how competent they will be on the campaign trail.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hooman posted:

Advancements in technology improve people's lives.
Advancements in technology have improved Aboriginal people's lives.
There are ways that Aboriginal people could have been given/traded etc. the advanced technology to improve their lives without colonialism.
There is no justification for colonialism.

The problem with saying "The Aboriginals are better off than they would have been without colonialism" is that you're attaching together Colonialism and trade in technology which are in fact two completely separate things, the invasion of Australia and the transfer of technology between civilisations. You can trade technology without invading and exploiting and slaughtering the people you are trading with. Colonialism itself was bad for Aboriginals.

I'm not saying it wasn't. But when the gulf between two civilisations is so wide, I don't think you can have any sort of introduction of technology without resulting in a massive and lethal upheaval, i.e. the introduction of firearms to the Maori in New Zealand. Or the introduction of firearms and horses in North America. Not to mention smallpox and other diseases.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

This government keeps loving up at breakneck speed. Questions how competent they will be on the campaign trail.

The frequency with which theyre throwing up and then discarding obviously horrible tax ideas does not fill me with confidence. To be blunt, theyre idiots, they have noidea what to do and we're all hosed

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

katlington posted:

The frequency with which theyre throwing up and then discarding obviously horrible tax ideas does not fill me with confidence. To be blunt, theyre idiots, they have noidea what to do and we're all hosed

(credit to nuclear spy)

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

From the brain of scott morrison

!DO NOT STEAL!

Tax idea #8; threaten children somehow?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

katlington posted:

From the brain of scott morrison

!DO NOT STEAL!

Tax idea #8; threaten children somehow?

Anything to avoid touching the tax breaks around property.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

turdbucket posted:

They most certainly did have agriculture, it was widespread as well. There's a good map of the "grain belt" used for farming pre-invasion and it covers a massive area across the continent. I'm not saying we should idolise pre-industrialisation life but people really don't give them enough credit for cultivating this harsh dry dusty continent. There's evidence of farming in pretty much all indigenous societies as well as large settlements but these were mostly all destroyed by the British. Far from a perfect life but their land management practices and agricultural techniques were actually pretty incredible when you compare to how quickly the imported European agricultural work has annihilated the soil and ecosystem of this country. Getting as much food as they did out of such a harsh environment is something that should be praised, not forgotten or dismissed like we do to every part of indigenous culture.

It's only in the last 80 years that life has really improved to be honest, I'm pretty sure most people would take 4 hours of work just to provide comfortably for your family and friends while spending the majority of your time in leisure and freedom in a clean, healthy environment over being locked in a coal mine or factory for 16 hours a day before sleeping in a small room with 4 other families. It's a dumb misconception that people pre-industrialisation died in their 30s, if you made it past childhood you'd live a pretty long life. Again not idolising their society but the argument the British somehow brought magical life improvements with them is idiotic.

Is there a source for this? I know about the aquaculture down Portland way and there were some beginnings of agriculture around what was to become Melbourne but I hadn't heard about the other areas. Unless you're referring to fire stick farming which is a bit of a stretch to consider agriculture and not a sort of managed hunter gatherer system.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I was looking for stuff earlier and I found this article: http://rupertgerritsen.tripod.com/pdf/published/Evidence_for_Indigenous_Australian_Agriculture.pdf

It seems to be a fairly under-researched field.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Zenithe posted:

Sorry, I meant Aussie indigenous nations.

I don't think it's used for agriculture itself anymore, but there are programs going on in NT for use of fire-stick farming in reducing fire-hazard and minimising emissions.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

gay picnic defence posted:

Is there a source for this? I know about the aquaculture down Portland way and there were some beginnings of agriculture around what was to become Melbourne but I hadn't heard about the other areas. Unless you're referring to fire stick farming which is a bit of a stretch to consider agriculture and not a sort of managed hunter gatherer system.

There was artwork from some of the first Colony's in WA of what the Indigenous settlements looked like, and their art work. As well as journal entries of the land.

It was basically bush/orchards as far as the eye could see where I grew up, trees fairly evenly spaced, like the entire land had been cultivated and was one giant edible garden. They had large scale fishing traps (permanent structures), permanently settled buildings and a form of semi governance and diplomacy with other 'countries'.

It's a stretch to call them uncivilized in any way. They were largely plagued by Western Diseases before the first large waves of colonists arrived.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Konomex posted:

There was artwork from some of the first Colony's in WA of what the Indigenous settlements looked like, and their art work. As well as journal entries of the land.

It was basically bush/orchards as far as the eye could see where I grew up, trees fairly evenly spaced, like the entire land had been cultivated and was one giant edible garden. They had large scale fishing traps (permanent structures), permanently settled buildings and a form of semi governance and diplomacy with other 'countries'.

It's a stretch to call them uncivilized in any way. They were largely plagued by Western Diseases before the first large waves of colonists arrived.

Yeah even accounts by settlers in Sydney go on and on about how the land is like one big maintained park estate like they knew from England. Land management seems to have been extremely important to indigenous Australians.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

turdbucket posted:

Yeah even accounts by settlers in Sydney go on and on about how the land is like one big maintained park estate like they knew from England. Land management seems to have been extremely important to indigenous Australians.

No wonder libertarians hate them so much, those big government savages!

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

turdbucket posted:

FWIW: Thankyou. I'm going to read up on this, as I had no idea anything more advanced than fire-stick farming was practiced.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

What did they do now?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Prime Minister says the states cannot any longer credibly ask the federal government to raise taxes for them if they are not prepared to raise taxes themselves.

The Prime Minister has hit back at the rejection of his income tax plan, painting its defeat as a "moment of clarity" that revealed the states lacked the stomach for reform and must live within their means.

Malcolm Turnbull on Saturday brushed off suggestions that the failure of what he hailed as only days ago as "the most fundamental reform to the federation in generations" marked a major humiliation for his government.

He instead recast the outcome of this week's Council of Australian Governments meeting as showing up the inconsistencies of the states, which had appealed to the federal government to give them the proceeds of increases to the GST and income tax.

"The important thing is that what we have seen is the states making it very clear that they are not prepared to contemplate being responsible for levying a share of income tax," Mr Turnbull said.

"What that means is they cannot any longer credibly ask the federal government to raise taxes for them to spend if they were not prepared to raise those taxes themselves when they were given the opportunity."

The proposal, branded "double taxation" by Opposition leader Bill Shorten, would have seen a reduction of the federal government's income tax collection in favour of allowing the states and territories to collect the remainder to fund services like hospitals and schools.

Leaders instead agreed to consider a counter-proposal that would give states direct access to a fixed percentage of a growing income tax pool, replacing tied and special-purpose grants from the Commonwealth.

Mr Turnbull said the defeat of his government's plan was a "wake up call" for the states, which had made it clear that they did not want to put up taxes and "neither do we".

"So this has been a very important moment of clarity, and what it says to us is that we must live within our means," he said.

Friday's meeting otherwise ended with state and territory leaders accepting an extra $2.9 billion for health and hospital spending to 2020.

Mr Turnbull's comments about the states and territories were echoed in Melbourne by his Health Minister Sussan Ley, who denied the proposal's defeat was an embarrassment.

"They're quick to ask the Commonwealth to do their dirty work," Ms Ley told reporters in Melbourne on Saturday.

"We should never make an apology for having big ideas and the courage to make a difference."

Mr Shorten, who appeared at a shipbuilders' rally in Adelaide on Saturday, branded the unsuccessful tax proposal a "humiliating farce".

"He doesn't even have the courage of his convictions," said Mr Shorten said.

Defence Minister Marise Payne, who appeared alongside Mr Turnbull in Sydney on Saturday following an inspection of the HMAS Canberra, separately lashed out at the opposition's shipbuilding record.

Labor had not placed a single order to build a ship in Australia during six years in government, she said.

"It is hypocritical in the extreme and they should be exposed for the absolute hypocrites that they are," Senator Payne said.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

The Prime Minister says the states cannot any longer credibly ask the federal government to raise taxes for them if they are not prepared to raise taxes themselves.

The Prime Minister has hit back at the rejection of his income tax plan, painting its defeat as a "moment of clarity" that revealed the states lacked the stomach for reform and must live within their means.

Malcolm Turnbull on Saturday brushed off suggestions that the failure of what he hailed as only days ago as "the most fundamental reform to the federation in generations" marked a major humiliation for his government.

He instead recast the outcome of this week's Council of Australian Governments meeting as showing up the inconsistencies of the states, which had appealed to the federal government to give them the proceeds of increases to the GST and income tax.

"The important thing is that what we have seen is the states making it very clear that they are not prepared to contemplate being responsible for levying a share of income tax," Mr Turnbull said.

"What that means is they cannot any longer credibly ask the federal government to raise taxes for them to spend if they were not prepared to raise those taxes themselves when they were given the opportunity."

The proposal, branded "double taxation" by Opposition leader Bill Shorten, would have seen a reduction of the federal government's income tax collection in favour of allowing the states and territories to collect the remainder to fund services like hospitals and schools.

Leaders instead agreed to consider a counter-proposal that would give states direct access to a fixed percentage of a growing income tax pool, replacing tied and special-purpose grants from the Commonwealth.

Mr Turnbull said the defeat of his government's plan was a "wake up call" for the states, which had made it clear that they did not want to put up taxes and "neither do we".

"So this has been a very important moment of clarity, and what it says to us is that we must live within our means," he said.

Friday's meeting otherwise ended with state and territory leaders accepting an extra $2.9 billion for health and hospital spending to 2020.

Mr Turnbull's comments about the states and territories were echoed in Melbourne by his Health Minister Sussan Ley, who denied the proposal's defeat was an embarrassment.

"They're quick to ask the Commonwealth to do their dirty work," Ms Ley told reporters in Melbourne on Saturday.

"We should never make an apology for having big ideas and the courage to make a difference."

Mr Shorten, who appeared at a shipbuilders' rally in Adelaide on Saturday, branded the unsuccessful tax proposal a "humiliating farce".

Defence Minister Marise Payne, who appeared alongside Mr Turnbull in Sydney on Saturday following an inspection of the HMAS Canberra, separately lashed out at the opposition's shipbuilding record.

Labor had not placed a single order to build a ship in Australia during six years in government, she said.

"It is hypocritical in the extreme and they should be exposed for the absolute hypocrites that they are," Senator Payne said.

So he was only pretending to be retarded?

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

LibertyCat posted:

FWIW: Thankyou. I'm going to read up on this, as I had no idea anything more advanced than fire-stick farming was practiced.

No worries, The Biggest Estate on Earth by Bill Gammage and Dark Emu, Black Seed are two great books on Indigenous land use, Dark Emu focusing more on trying to prove that Indigenous Australian's were a largely agricultural society using primary sources. Dark Emu is a much smaller book but Bruce Pascoe does some fascinating work, it really does make you realise how much knowledge has been lost and destroyed over the past two centuries. Their use of the land for agriculture, especially how they managed to grow so much grain in western NSW/central Australia is actually pretty incredible. It only took Europeans a few years to turn most of that land into a salty dustbowl.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Sorry for the double post but I haven't seen this issue mentioned in this thread.

On the topic on pre-invasion Indigenous culture they recently found a massive archaeological site in Sydney while working on the new light rail line. I don't know what is going on with it currently but Baird seemed pretty keen to keep bulldozing, we are already missing so much information about pre-settlement Australia and then finds like this are treated merely as a problem and with no interest of respect at all.

http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2016/04/01/huge-indigenous-artefacts-find-sydney-why-it-so-significant

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

States refuse to take the blame on tax increases
This means that the federal government cannot raise taxes because the states refuse to live within their means.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

Never saw this coming

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

So he was only pretending to be retarded?

Turnbull will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory if it kills him.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Because why have a Federal Government at all, am I right?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Endman posted:

Because why have a Federal Government at all, am I right?

why indeed. henry parkes was wrong all along.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

why indeed. henry parkes was wrong all along.

No wonder he's on the cheapest note :smug:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

turdbucket posted:

Sorry for the double post but I haven't seen this issue mentioned in this thread.

On the topic on pre-invasion Indigenous culture they recently found a massive archaeological site in Sydney while working on the new light rail line. I don't know what is going on with it currently but Baird seemed pretty keen to keep bulldozing, we are already missing so much information about pre-settlement Australia and then finds like this are treated merely as a problem and with no interest of respect at all.

http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2016/04/01/huge-indigenous-artefacts-find-sydney-why-it-so-significant
Especially notable because of the contrast to what happened when early convict era stable remains were found while renovating the conservatorium.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=5060991

Endman
May 18, 2010

Sounds a lot like the Brighton Bypass debacle down here in Tassie.

Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_Bypass#Aboriginal_heritage_issues

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
NSW Police raided the home of former Prime Minister Tony Abbott this evening:

https://www.facebook.com/nswpoliceforce/videos/10153703751401185/

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Eh, explains a lot.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

BBJoey posted:

Turnbull will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory if it kills him.

This. He had the easiest election in the world but he's floating wildly unpopular thought bubble policies at such a rapid rate it's almost impressive.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
There was a really good rally and march for Safe Schools in Brisbane today.

It was hot as gently caress but yeah it was great

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It would be great if they could send this to the group making medical marijuana products

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

:rip: Belljar

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Found an article on Aboriginal agriculture, for those who are interested: http://researchonline.jcu.edu.au/27882/1/ellwood_etal_2009.pdf

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

(click image to visit site you mad fool)

Consisting of: poo poo that didn't happen, memes and good old fashioned hate speech.

Why the gently caress does Facebook exist? And didn't it used to have a thumbs down button? Because god knows, Facebook doesn't give a poo poo about the page.

EDIT: Looks like Facebook has been doing something. My bad. They've deleted a bunch of posts and banned some of the admins for the page.

Of course, the shits have their own website www.antifeminismaustralia.com which manages to be even more pathetic than the Facebook page.

MGTOW forum posted:

as stated in the title, 48000+ supporters on the facebook page, is it time time for secession?
i think that is quite enough people to actively claim and defend a piece of arable dirt somewhere in Australia without getting arrested/the army being called in.
it would be a international debacle if the govt tried that.
we could lead our own life, make our own egalitarian laws, and invite others to join us, overthrowing feminism by the mechanism of political freedom of choice.

Because nothing says egalitarian like a :airquote: philosophy :airquote: which holds all women to be inferior and whores.

Besides from calls to secede from Australia, they also ponder such important issues as:

quote:

Why can not has sleeves :burger:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 2, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Is the answer to that picture, "neither"? I'm genuinely confused and I've been working in offices since my 20's.

e: Uhm, I guess I need to disclose that I'm 43 for that to mean anything.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Where is the :siren: Fashion Police :siren: ?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

:mrapig:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It started with a single highly negative experience in high school, which I've mentioned elsewhere. But that alone didn't put me off. I am very observant of what happens in the world, and unfortunately I'm the kind of person who lets it get to me, however hard I try not to. I hate hypocrisy, I hate injustice. Four decades of demonisation, affirmative action and systemic misandry so filled me with resentment and rage that I cannot feel love. I must clarify here that I don't hate women, I hate feminism, and I emphasise constantly that the two are not the same thing.

To me the women I meet fall into two categories: allies, and enemies. If a woman supports feminism she's an enemy, a threat, and I will avoid any contact with her, more out of fear - fear of being accused of something - than hate. It is that fear that negates my ability to love. People think that hate is the opposite of love, but it is not. Fear is the opposite of love. Love is a force of attraction; it draws you to another. But hate is also a force of attraction; it draws you towards that which you hate so you can fight it. But fear is a force of repulsion; you run away from what you fear. And I dared not ever approach a woman out of fear I might be called a creep or a pervert or charged with sexual harassment or something.

But if a woman supports the MHRM or true equality, someone like Karen Straughan or Jasmin Newman, then I see her not as a potential sex partner but as a potent political ally, a fellow warrior fighting against the injustices being perpetrated by the feminist system. My emotions towards such women run more to the respect and admiration spectrum, what one feels towards a comrade-in-arms, than love or sexual desire. I posted in another thread a passage from Orwell's Ninteen Eighty-Four that relates to that.

I have felt the hormonal draw to attractive women. But for me it is a purely visual attraction, a desire to look, even to touch just for the tactile sensation, but nothing more. I'm a CGI artist and much of my work involves depicting pretty women. But if I try to imagine what it would be like to have actual sex with her, I feel only revulsion and shame. The emotion is very similar to what I feel if I look at a man and try to imagine having sex with him, its an instant turn-off. So, to heterosexual people, I say, this is what it is to be asexual; what you feel about sex with someone of your own gender - that's what I feel about sex with anyone.

So for me, with the notion of love and sex so heavily polluted with politics, that for me it has no deep emotional meaning other than waging a war that will last the rest of my life - it was inevitable that I should go MGTOW. I could never really have done anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
what do you think of the :biotruths: LibertyCat?

• Locked thread