Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I only know its name because of CVHD. Having a friend who played him basically meant hearing OMNIT-OMNIT-OMNIT-OMNIT-OMNIT-OMNITA over and over as we went through it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I'd play any game with a Richter playstyle. There aren't enough methodical platformers like Castlevania, and he was so fun once you mastered the moves.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I totally forgot about this game after they delayed it for the hundredth time but Slain! looks to finally be releasing on Steam in a couple weeks (March 24) but the console versions are still some ways off:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/369070/

They said the most recent delays were to make it easier, as all their playtesters complained it was too tough. Hmm...

Heads up: this is out now but either they uploaded an old build by mistake or it's just broken, there are a lot of issues - lots of input lag, menus don't display properly, sound levels are busted, etc.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Heads up: this is out now but either they uploaded an old build by mistake or it's just broken, there are a lot of issues - lots of input lag, menus don't display properly, sound levels are busted, etc.

I think it is just straight up broken. It has great style but the game play sucks. For example, your attacks combo together and automatically make you step forward. On the first boss this meant if I hit him more then twice in a row I'd step forward into him and take damage because he isn't staggered by my attacks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hmm, another indie game looks like its inspiration without having a clue how to make it play like it, colour me surprised

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Slain doesn't really look like a Castlevania game - it's a vaguely gothic horror game, yes, but it's going for a more Psygnosis-y Amiga look based on western heavy metal stuff. I can't comment on whether it does or doesn't suck but I don't think it was ever intended to be a literal CV clone, just a game with deliberate combat that's reminiscent of games in that vein.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Slain looks a lot like Volgarr, probably more inspired by something like Dark Souls than Castlevania, I totally expect it to be a weird masocore thing, which I guess isn't too far off from Castlevania, but it's not quite the first thing that comes to mind.

Edit: According to the steam user reviews it seems kind of busted, though.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 25, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Volgarr skews a lot closer to CV than Slain, which seems to primarily be a combat-focused game with a platforming veneer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I played Slain! It's not very fun, it's very obviously unfinished and it's also broken as poo poo! Hooray!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*looks at watch* Is it 2017 yet?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Have the slain guys said theyll fix things

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Mysteriously, the website has gone completely off line and there are no traces on the Internet that it ever existed at all.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gologle posted:

Mysteriously, the website has gone completely off line and there are no traces on the Internet that it ever existed at all.

You sure? Still works for me.

From the community hub

"Update and plan moving forward
6:14am
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for all your feedback so far. I am currently going through all feedback on forums and customer reviews and collating it while Andrew and Asa are working on the first patch.

It is obviously sad to see many of you are unhappy with the experience so far and we will be doing everything we can to bring Slain! up to a standard you are happy with. We have worked on this game for nearly 3 years so please know we will be making every effort possible."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That was a joke in the vein of the mysterious magic shop that appears on your street corner and disappears after something shifty is bought.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Have the slain guys said theyll fix things

They initially blamed a lot of the issues on the storefronts putting out an old build by mistake but within a couple hours they admitted the game simply got pushed out before it was finished and it doesn't sound like they'll be in any position to polish it further, so...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

What a shame.

Moving on...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Brave Earth: Prologue, a heavily Castlevania-inspired platformer from the creator of I Wanna Be The Guy, is on Steam Greenlight.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC5Pc6Es4mE

That looks a bit too old castlevania inspired for my tastes honestly, was hoping it would look a bit more SOTN but I guess that requires a budget

Still looks interesting

Nasgate posted:

Cant wait to play as not Lucina, not Guts, and not Sypha
I saw Lucina Ike and Zelda

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

We've got Miriam running around a dev map, now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLpMwEAiw7Q

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks very much like an IGA castle, not difficult at all to fill in the blanks with what the layout might look like with those platforms and such.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That sure is a notCastlevania game all right

I can't wait.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 2, 2016

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I definitely like the sense of momentum. Once she gets that scarf it should be pretty rad.

That whole momentum thing is something that so many 2d games get wrong. Like mighty no9 just feels so awful with it snapping between things.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

mighty number 9? did that come out yet or

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

voltcatfish posted:

Nope.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

We are now 1 year from its anticipated release date.

One year past and two delays of officially announced release dates beyond that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Because of issues with the networking.

Oh wait, I mean

Because of issues with the "networking".

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

That footage made me want to play my ds castlevanias again. It's been a long time...

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I hope we get a scarf with customizable colors.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Blackheart posted:

I hope we get a scarf with customizable colors.

Joseph's cloak will return in scarf form.

EDIT: I wish that cloak had better stats, but I suppose in the end in didn't really matter. Game was stupid easy anyway.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
That map looks like any interchangeable SotNalike map, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I'm so happy that I can look at that footage and immediately visualize what controlling it would feel like. Iga and co. are Good Devs.

e: Oh, subtle little bit: The UI fades away if you're idle for a bit. Love that sort of thing.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 2, 2016

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

man its crazy to see the skeleton of a map like that. it looks like an indie platformer in its release build

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Iga is cool.

I can totally visualize that scarf like Soma's coat or Alucard's cape. But for some reason I immediately thought of Megaman's laser scarf in that one RPG.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Does anyone have any idea what's up with Japan being obsessed with repeating IGA's name whenever it comes up for whatever reason? Is it some sort of a stupid meme of theirs the rest of the world is not privy to or did he pull some stunts in Japan in the past that pissed them off or amused them?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AnotherGamer posted:

Does anyone have any idea what's up with Japan being obsessed with repeating IGA's name whenever it comes up for whatever reason? Is it some sort of a stupid meme of theirs the rest of the world is not privy to or did he pull some stunts in Japan in the past that pissed them off or amused them?

Can you post an example? I have no idea what you mean.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is Odallus any good? Because it's 50% off this week on Steam. Looks like a sequel to the Gargoyle's Quest games.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It is pretty good. It's got good replay value in the form of Veteran mode which unlocks after beating Normal once.

Veteran mode, which is like a remixed hard mode with tougher boss patterns, who new sections of level and different item upgrade placement, is even better.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

It's a japanese meme thing. An easy place to find this is in stuff like TAS videos of games that he directed on nicovideo, the screen will fill with "IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" when his name shows up in the credits for reasons beyond me.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16128770 The credits of this video for example can't stop flooding his name at a ridiculous pace and the same thing happens in the every CV video where he's present in the credits.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Hivac posted:

It's a japanese meme thing. An easy place to find this is in stuff like TAS videos of games that he directed on nicovideo, the screen will fill with "IGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" when his name shows up in the credits for reasons beyond me.

AnotherGamer posted:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16128770 The credits of this video for example can't stop flooding his name at a ridiculous pace and the same thing happens in the every CV video where he's present in the credits.

Fair enough, I don't really bother with TAS so I've never noticed it.

I looked it up and there's no deeper meaning, it was just an affectionate thing people would do when they saw his name in the credits that gradually (quickly, I'm betting) became a meme that people spam whenever anything happens, to the point where "IGA is not allowed" also became a meme. It's the equivalent of that old "Milhouse is not a meme" thing, I guess.

When I was looking it up, I found more than a few posts from Japanese people who were all "yo what the gently caress is IGAAAAAAAAA and why are people posting it all over my minecraft videos"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

EAGAH!!!!