Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are there pictures of the frunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I really like the 2 spoke steering wheel though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Should have gone full Citroen with a one-spoker.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

chupacabraTERROR posted:

You can have one real cheap if you buy a 1989 Camry:v:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

atomicthumbs posted:

sorry, but all the revolutionary technological advances in the world won't fix this car's looks or the fact that it's dangerous to drive because the controls and instruments are jammed into an ipad app

Look upon this post and how dumb it is. Behold the salty man!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'll take a ten year old Accent over a new Tesla

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fyodor posted:

Look upon this post and how dumb it is. Behold the salty man!

Nah, everything being on a touch screen with no physical controls is dumb.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fknlo posted:

Nah, everything being on a touch screen with no physical controls is dumb.

pssst it's not out yet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Frankly I hate all progress in all guises

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I like the no steering wheel buttons, really sleek, and really smart.

:psyduck:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you want buttons where your fingers are when there's this great ipad right next to it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

An actually good voice recognition implementation would get rid of the need for buttons on the wheel.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

An actually good voice recognition implementation would get rid of the need for buttons on the wheel.

voice recognition systems tend to not be very discoverable. tactile buttons, maybe with a voice recognition backup, are the only controls that should be allowed in cars.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"Turn volume up two and a half notches."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Steve French posted:

"Turn volume up two and a half notches."

That could totally work though?

Meanwhile, let's talk about cars that you can buy in the US before the Model 3:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/p...&adbpr=14332852

I will poo poo my pants laughing if this is true and then I will put a grand down on a DS3 Prestige 1.6 in Belle-Ile Blue with a Topaz roof.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

200hp hot hatch? Meh

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bovril Delight posted:

200hp hot hatch? Meh

Yea I know right the Fiesta ST isn't popular at all.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

fyodor posted:

pssst it's not out yet.

It's pretty terrible on the Model S, seems reasonable to assume it will be even worse in the cheaper one.

El Scotch posted:

It looks like a catfish making a puss face.

It looks like a Ford Focus. In fact the whole car looks like a Ford Focus.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 1, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

that's where i've seen that front before

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That could totally work though?

Yes, I would much prefer saying "turn the volume up two notches" (first figuring out how much louder I want it and translating that into notches, of course) to just turning a knob with my fingers for two seconds.

Voice controls/digital personal assistants are great when they automate a multi step task, like "record this memo and send it to Bob." They're wasteful and slow for something you can do yourself in less time than saying the command. No one with a secretary is going to say "Sarah, come in here and turn up the volume on my computer."

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

fknlo posted:

About 1.5 years according to Tesla's own stuff. Which isn't a whole lot of time in the car world to go from your concept with a crooked logo on the steering wheel to a completely ready for production model with the newest iPad for your instrument cluster/HVAC/everything.

I'm not a fan. "Well we don't need a grill for cooling, just uh, fill it in or something?"

Gonna get hot back there. Half the price of the car is probably in the completely glass roof. The $5000 rock chip repairs will be fun.

wrt rock chips, my windshield had a rock chip, the local safelite did it for 50 bucks to repair, and most people will do that most likely, since auto glass is auto glass.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I wouldn't mind federally legislated tactile controls for all things that the driver would expect to manage (radio and climate counts).

It's not like we forgot how to manufacture buttons and switches.

Just no touchscreens. Get rid of them. Forever.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It'll have to happen eventually.

I can see a touchscreen making sense for stuff like entering an address, or adjusting the stereo eq or whatever but it should only be possible to use it with the car stopped and the parking brake on.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
When was the last time any of you morons had a rock chip on your back window or roof???

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

They're probably pre-ordering to sell to morons who JUST MUST HAVE IT RIGHT AWAY down the road, when it's actually in production but still backordered.

I guarantee half the gun flipper/iphone flipper types that lined up for 3 days to buy one near me in Sacramento, CA think they can flip their spots for a few grand to some overpaid SF wankers/ettes. We live in a flipper economy.

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG

D C posted:

When was the last time any of you morons had a rock chip on your back window or roof???

Does hail count?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Korbin posted:

Does hail count?

Honestly, knowing the amount of body work my car needed when it got caught in a hail storm, I would have been much happier with a full roof glass replacement.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

D C posted:

My car has chips right across the roof...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

I wouldn't mind federally legislated tactile controls for all things that the driver would expect to manage (radio and climate counts).

It's not like we forgot how to manufacture buttons and switches.

Just no touchscreens. Get rid of them. Forever.

With federally mandated backup cameras, touchscreens that can double as a camera monitor will become more common, not less.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Several sites are claiming that Tesla employees at the event said that the dash setup (or lack of one) was final, for what it's worth.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

FCKGW posted:

With federally mandated backup cameras, touchscreens that can double as a camera monitor will become more common, not less.

Just because there is a screen it doesn't mean it needs to be touch, and even if it is it doesn't mean that essential controls need to be part of it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

My car has chips right across the roof...

Gravel coming off a truck hauling construction equipment taking the wrong bounce can get your roof pretty easily.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Are you serious? They're really mandating backup cameras? Is it that loving hard to look behind you?

Edit: Oh wait, yes, of course it is when modern cars have such awful rear visibility because of their ridiculously high beltlines.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I've seen plenty of broken/shattered panoramic roof glass. Have fun cleaning glass crumbs out of your headliner if it ever happens to you.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Keyser S0ze posted:

We live in a flipper economy.

Yeah. Thalidomide.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Are you serious? They're really mandating backup cameras? Is it that loving hard to look behind you?

Edit: Oh wait, yes, of course it is when modern cars have such awful rear visibility because of their ridiculously high beltlines.

Yes, by 2018 every car sold in America needs a backup camera. People keep backing over kids.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/03/31/nhtsa-rear-view-cameras/7114531/

dissss posted:

Just because there is a screen it doesn't mean it needs to be touch, and even if it is it doesn't mean that essential controls need to be part of it.

It's cheaper and easier to just utilize your existing screen stuck in your console and implement the controls via software.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, but if you're required to have a screen for your backup camera in the car then you're gonna see automakers putting to use when in drive as well.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 2, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

kimbo305 posted:

This is the trunk opening, from Jalopnik:

Not good, but not the end of the world.
That looks bigger than my 'Stang's trunk. And I only have 1 trunk.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

That looks bigger than my 'Stang's trunk. And I only have 1 trunk.

I think I'm just used to the entire back of my car opening up so anything else looks tiny and unusable to me.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I drive a 500 Abarth cabrio. I can barely fit my gym bag in the trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've fit 4 dudes and all of our gear, including 2 snowboards and 2 pairs of skis, into my Golf after the roof rack attachment failed and blew off the car shattering my glass roof denting and scratching the roof on the way off. It wasn't comfortable but we did it. I can fit a lot of poo poo in/on my car. I can't imagine not having a hatchback or wagon as a DD at this point.