Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I like the new proposal but San Diego is still filled with a bunch of angry old people who will vote for Trump this year so the likelihood of anything passing is around .001%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

oldskool posted:

League's not going to penalize them for backing out of the agreement thanks to getting a stadium deal done in San Diego, and if they don't get one done they ensure the Raiders can't move to LA. It's no longer "Give us what we want or maybe we'll move if the league accepts our application for relocation and things go a certain way with an ownership vote allowing the move & getting a stadium plan approved"; it's now "Give us what we want or we're gone" & sometimes that can swing a vote.

I suppose the interesting part about all this is that the Chargers are still working within the framework of what will fly with voters and what won't in order to get a stadium deal done. They aren't trying to strongarm the city into something that they really, really don't want to do (raise general taxes for a stadium). They did that once already with the intent of showing they couldn't get a deal done and HAD to move to Carson. Now that Carson is off the table, their options are try to get a deal done here or go in with Kroenke in LA, and that's about it. Now that they're making a good-faith effort for a stadium in San Diego, they're showing their intention pretty plainly and they don't want to go to LA. They will if they can't seal the deal here, but they don't like it.

Everyone knows that the Chargers would be the bottom-feeder in the pecking order of major sports team in LA below the Clippers, and the Spanos family can't ignore that fact. As a bottom-tier team, they aren't going to see a strong contingent of San Diego fans going up there or growing the fanbase in LA. It's not entirely a losing proposition because they'll still make money going to LA, but it's a dead-end with little to no room to grow. That leaves San Diego being the better option compared to going to LA: retain the fanbase, get a stadium that isn't Qualcomm, and don't have to worry about players jumping ship because of the move, if that ever turns into a thing. A few more years in Qualcomm isn't going to kill them.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Why are sport stadiums the only buildings in America that can't be loving renovated? Who designs a piece of public infrastructure that is obsolete in 40 years?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Have you been to Qualcomm? Its poo poo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

wattershed posted:

While I wouldn't blame the voters here one iota if they told the Spanos family to go have sex with themselves, the impact on the locals shouldn't be all that much. And it certainly appears to be of a smaller percentage than residents of other cities have recently had to pay for new stadiums in their cities.

The real bullshit is the hotels saying they oppose the HOT (hotel occupancy tax) when they were all for a HOT bump of almost the exact same amount a few years back when the conversation was exclusively surrounding a convention center expansion.

David Alvarez is a milquetoast wet blanket who wants to make San Diego into an artsy town full of public murals and artisanal huarache kiosks (or, ya know, something like that) yet also seems like the type that in traditional SD city council fashion should be sufficiently bought off if they can find the right boondoggle for him.

This post is full of amazing and poetic words I would never think to use in a conversation.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Chinatown posted:

Have you been to Qualcomm? Its poo poo.
I have, and agreed

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

NC-17 posted:

Why are sport stadiums the only buildings in America that can't be loving renovated? Who designs a piece of public infrastructure that is obsolete in 40 years?

The incentives have changed such that stadiums want a bunch of VIP boxes since the League doesn't dip into those sales.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I am really pleased that it appears the Chargers will stay in San Diego provided this passes. I haven't met one person who was excited about them leaving and coming to LA.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

NC-17 posted:

It's mostly stadiums of a particular era. Places like qualcomm and the oakland coliseum were concrete monstrosities meant to be tailgated around.

Maxwells Demon posted:

The incentives have changed such that stadiums want a bunch of VIP boxes since the League doesn't dip into those sales.

And this. If you look at the places that have been successfully renovated, the renovations were laregely about putting in more luxury boxes.

For example:

or

If you're building from scratch you just say gently caress it and build half the stadium as luxury boxes

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Ron Jeremy posted:

If you're building from scratch you just say gently caress it and build half the stadium as luxury boxes

Levis is such an ugly stadium.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Seriously. Due to that entire side of luxury boxes, it will now just look perpetually half-finished.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Maxwells Demon posted:

Why not? Could they change it to prevent more ugly poo poo like the frisco stadium?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MrLogan posted:

Levis is such an ugly stadium.

ITS GOT A GARDEN ON THE ROOF THO GUYS. GUYS>??!!!!?

Seriously though, its really not as much the asymmetry as it is the lack of any aesthetics for the rest of it. It looks like someone just slapped a bunch of lego pieces together. Its awful top to bottom.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It is, however, very Charger-ish not to have any pretty pictures to accompany the proposal.

"Think we should finish those promotional shots before we release the plan to get everyone excited?"

"Nah."

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I liked the last renderings with dudes getting gnarly on skateboards and stuff.

They should build a Flowbarrel machine in the stadium, IMHO.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

effectual posted:

Why not? Could they change it to prevent more ugly poo poo like the frisco stadium?

Please. That's the Santa Clara stadium, and it's emblematic of Santa Clara. It's the kind of stadium Santa Clara deserves.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Chinatown posted:

I liked the last renderings with dudes getting gnarly on skateboards and stuff.

They should build a Flowbarrel machine in the stadium, IMHO.

Not far off from that kayak-able moat and rock climbing wall Dan Snyder envisioned recently. The two things those Gen-Xers love the most, alternative sports and Redskins Fooball.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Please. That's the Santa Clara stadium, and it's emblematic of Santa Clara. It's the kind of stadium Santa Clara deserves.

Absolutely. It's going to look dated as gently caress in 10 years and it's exactly what the Bay Area deserves.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Levi's is antiseptic and corporate blandless as gently caress. I hate that dumb piece of poo poo.

Also the turf is awful and people literally die of heat stroke and they won't invest in any sort of over hang for the side of the stadium opposite the glass tower.

Also fun story about that glass tower: you can't even walk past it without a ticket for it or the seats below. There are literally ushers stopping you at the steps. I had to walk the outer edge of the stadium one game in 2014 because I was on one side of it and my buddy was on the other.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Chargers are still gonna pursue PSLs for their portion of the stadium, which is a bummer, but I guess it's the new stupid reality

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Spoeank posted:

Levi's is antiseptic and corporate blandless as gently caress. I hate that dumb piece of poo poo.

Also the turf is awful and people literally die of heat stroke and they won't invest in any sort of over hang for the side of the stadium opposite the glass tower.

Also fun story about that glass tower: you can't even walk past it without a ticket for it or the seats below. There are literally ushers stopping you at the steps. I had to walk the outer edge of the stadium one game in 2014 because I was on one side of it and my buddy was on the other.

That's some major bullshit. I hope the niners stay terrible and everyone stops going and York is forced to sell.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kirios posted:

Absolutely. It's going to look dated as gently caress in 10 years and it's exactly what the Bay Area deserves.

This is "the San Francisco stadium"

It's very nice. The niners should have stayed in SF. Maybe just rebuilt at Candlestick Point, or maybe done a deal instead of fleeing to lovely soulless Santa Clara.

I don't know about "what the Bay Area deserves" though. It's certainly the results we should expect given the conditions we've created.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
AT&T is the most beautiful stadium or arena in all of American sports and I will fight you if you say otherwise

(PNC is actually really nice and is also an acceptable answer).

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spoeank posted:

AT&T is the most beautiful stadium or arena in all of American sports and I will fight you if you say otherwise

PNC is so drat beautiful. Makes me always pick Pitt in the show

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Spoeank posted:

Petco is cool and good and it's a shame it's always empty

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I hate corporate branding because I don't know where any of those stadiums are. They could be in any city.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

effectual posted:

I hate corporate branding because I don't know where any of those stadiums are. They could be in any city.

My favorite is when you get multiples because of mergers.

American Airlines center in Dallas
American Airlines arena in Miami

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Spoeank posted:

Camden Yards

also for all the poo poo it gets the Jerry Dome is really stylish

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Febreeze posted:

Camden Yards

also for all the poo poo it gets the Jerry Dome is really stylish

Camden is indeed amazing. I love Safeco too, though I wish you could see the sunset better from there.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

effectual posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Pittsburgh National Corporation Park is going to be in Pittsburgh.

Its nice that Heinz, PNC, and Consol are all Pittsburgh-based companies instead of some vague thing like FedEx Field being in DC.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I love Target Field

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sash! posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Pittsburgh National Corporation Park is going to be in Pittsburgh.

Its nice that Heinz, PNC, and Consol are all Pittsburgh-based companies instead of some vague thing like FedEx Field being in DC.

Why would anyone outside of Pittsburgh know what PNC is?

Would you assume PG&E is Pittsburgh Gas and Electric?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ross Angeles posted:

Petco is cool and good and it's a shame it's always empty

I went and got drunk at the motocross thing and it was awesome since all the food/beer stalls were open. it was also completely packed lol.

Petco Park is legit as hell too if you just wanna not watch the game and get really lovely.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Fenway Park is really pretty. And awesome too, unless you want to sit down, or stand up, or go to the bathroom, or get food, or face the infield.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
https://twitter.com/LasVegasSands/status/716030889629605888

taking him to sam boyd is not a good idea lol

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Aesthetically, I gotta say Rose Bowl. Or Lucas Oil.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
wait i remembered that today was the first is that actually legit i don't know anymore what's real

edit: two different local papers ran a story about it whew

Lessail fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 2, 2016

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mark's head is small.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Aesthetically, I gotta say Rose Bowl. Or Lucas Oil.

lucas oil looks like a big lovely barn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Lucas Oil at least looks pretty different, which counts for something.

There isn't a single current NFL stadium (besides maybe the Los Angeles Coliseum I guess) that is especially aesthetically satisfying.

• Locked thread