Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean he is the biggest criminal in Japanese history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
His yet unnamed Stands allows him to posses people kinda, therefore a source of mooks of the week for the Morioh Crusaders to beat up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's interesting that Hazamada is already short in his cameo appearance.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's interesting that Hazamada is already short in his cameo appearance.

yeah I saw that too. It was weird.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

yeah I saw that too. It was weird.

Well, he goes through like 3 or 4 really drastic design changes in as many chapters. They probably just said gently caress it and settled on his little goblin form.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I prefer him as a stupid little goblin so it's fine by me.

I said the same thing in the anime thread but I thought relin was anime-only so that thing about Polnareff in the crowd scene was sincere, I'm seeing that a lot today and enjoying it. :)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i was gonna say having members of the SDC crew show up for one-off adventures would've been super fun, but then i remembered half of them are dead :smith:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Most of the survivors do, but Polnareff is busy getting owned in Europe.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'd love it if Polnareff could jet on over to Morioh for a photo op but he's currently having An Extremely poo poo Time Even For Polnareff elsewhere right now, yeah. :(

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chaos rhames posted:

Most of the survivors do, but Polnareff is busy getting owned in Europe.

the dead ones are the better Crusaders though, i'd rather see their adventures

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I love them all equally

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've been on Studio David's side but I swear if I don't get to see Koichi's enemies literally shrink with fear I will be so disappointed.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bad Seafood posted:

I've been on Studio David's side but I swear if I don't get to see Koichi's enemies literally shrink with fear I will be so disappointed.
I don't even need to see it happen, but Kobayashi better just show up in the next episode after The Lock way shorter or I swear to god

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Bad Seafood posted:

They're cheating Koichi out of his best power.

Also, I couldn't be more happy with the music turned out. It's got that Jet Set Radio-esque late 90s hip hop/grunge feel to it

Also also, i can't wait for the Yukako arc so I can post this in the anime thread http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/japanese-man-stole-hundreds-school-girl-uniforms-cops-article-1.1828073

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Bad Seafood posted:

i was really annoyed that josuke didn't look like a hard mofo until koichi realizies he's actually a really nice guy

if you're consistent enough with araki's artstyle evolving in real time between chapters to make jotaro look way younger and all kinds of other quirks, why would you not keep this?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The defeated enemies becoming shorter isn't an art shift. It represents a change in the way Koichi views them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They're probably doing it that way because if you have too many different models, you're going to be more prone to going off model.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a lot easier to get away with shifts like that if you're just doing still images from week to week but probably for the interest of the greater good of the anime they're standardizing things. which is also why they simplified jotaro's outfit a little bit, despite what some crackpot weirdos on the internet might believe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's a lot easier to get away with shifts like that if you're just doing still images from week to week but probably for the interest of the greater good of the anime they're standardizing things. which is also why they simplified jotaro's outfit a little bit, despite what some crackpot weirdos on the internet might believe.

That was loving amazing, someone link it if they have it.

There was like this comment on a picture comparing the anime and manga designs where some guy went loving nuts and blamed SJWs and feminists for Jotaro being a bit more simplified.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's true though. No women liked JoJo at all until they saw that. JoJo definitely had no female fans.

Though if I recall correctly, the argument (still obviously ridiculous and dumb) was that the whole artstyle was softened up compared to SDC and Jotaro is the easy comparison point.

Which begs the question: Have they actually read Diamond is Unbreakable because this artstyle nails late DIU.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They may not realize that it's a manga from 1994, yeah. Anime-only fans be trippin'.

He's probably the same kinda guy that's still pissed about losing the Ripple.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm also not a fan of the brick shithouse artstyle of earlier arcs, so having the more rounded out art for the entirety of arc 4 is great in my book. it looks really good in motion.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Waffleman_ posted:

That was loving amazing, someone link it if they have it.

There was like this comment on a picture comparing the anime and manga designs where some guy went loving nuts and blamed SJWs and feminists for Jotaro being a bit more simplified.

OK I gotta see this.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I feel like the art for every part is suited to that part.

Jonathan needs to be a Big McLargehuge Kenshiro guy. Johnny and Josefumi need to be Greco-Roman statues come to life.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stardust Crusaders' art style is fine in the manga but the anime's version was messy on anything that was medium to long range shots.

The JoJolion Ultra Jump ad was beautiful.
I've not seen a link to an upload of that yet actually.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've enjoyed all the artstyles in the anime since they're, for the most part, well put together and coherent. it's mostly just the early manga art that gets to me.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

godspeed

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Right, and that's when people were freaking out over what ended up being a picture taken at a bad angle making him look kinda short.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Right, and that's when people were freaking out over what ended up being a picture taken at a bad angle making him look kinda short.

It wasn't a bad angle, it was a bad art sample. His head was out of proportion and it was fixed the very next day.

It appears that no one has uploaded the Ultra Jump CM yet.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Looking forward to the anime-only reactions to Parts 5 and 6.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's been a couple of good ones to the first ep.
My favourite guy delievered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crhB5NeJrt0
Yooooooooo

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nothing quite like watching a dude watching an entire episode of an anime without sound.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nah, you don't watch the full thing, you skip to the big things and laugh at the reaction and move on.

Except for his DIO's World eps because those episodes were basically 100% big time happenings.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Which begs the question: Have they actually read Diamond is Unbreakable because this artstyle nails late DIU.
Yeah, it's frustrating. I mean, you know the answer to this but as someone who sifts through a ton of posts about this stuff every single day: a lot of the people who cannot wait to complain about how awful it looks and how much david "changed" JJBA clearly have no familiarity with the art change.

And I mean, okay: I don't expect everyone to read the manga (I wish they would!) because they should be able to take stuff in at their own pace in the way they like best, and some folks just straight up can't read the manga for a variety of reasons. That's fine. As with anything, though, it's tedious when the same people who might not be super well versed make sweeping condemnations of something for wholly unrelated reasons. The "SJWs ruined JoJo" thing was really loving annoying when it first came around and it still grinds my gears a little, I guess, because it's people who clearly wanted to posit themselves as authorities on the material when they had no idea what they were talking about. It's a really mangled form of gatekeeping which you know I hate and will whine about at length.

On a positive note, the thing I mentioned about sifting through lots of posts every day means that I get to see lots of new people coming across JoJo for the first time and that's always really fun for me. Seeing all the comments from people yesterday along the lines of "wow, Josuke seems really great" was heartwarming. He's the sort of guy you like immediately once you actually see him in action. :) I'm excited for new fans!!!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
What have the responses been to the whole 'Joseph had an affair' thing?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's perfectly fine to dislike the artstyle, but if you think it's because of SJWs or to appeal to women specifically, you're not really offering anything worth listening to.

There's literally no reason at this point to believe that anything david production do to JoJo is a result of ridiculous love for the series and only for the better, even if it doesn't turn out that way.

The funny thing about Josuke is that he's actually kind of off character in these first chapters. For all the hair stuff, I don't recall it ever coming up again after Rohan and very rarely, if at all, before it after these opening chapters. He never brings up being afraid of turtles again either. Araki basically realised quickly that the hair joke would get really old if it was brought up constantly.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Stallion Cabana posted:

What have the responses been to the whole 'Joseph had an affair' thing?

Not as many as I'd actually expected; I was surprised by it. Some "this is really sad/upsetting" things here and there but I think I only saw one person who seemed outright upset about it in a "this is completely out of character for Joseph!" way.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's perfectly fine to dislike the artstyle, but if you think it's because of SJWs or to appeal to women specifically, you're not really offering anything worth listening to.

Yeah, I should clarify, I totally understand someone coming in like "wait a second, the gently caress happened" because we were all like that at one time. It's just attributing it to something else entirely that's tedious to me. And you don't *have* to like that artstyle, either. You don't have to like DIU or anything after. :) Obviously, I really like the art change and feel like his changes have almost uniformly been for the best but to each their own.

and yeah, he's off character early on. I said the same sort of thing in the anime thread just now: Araki tries to establish his temper as being kind of extreme but that's very quickly dropped, even with the tiny bits we see of Tomoko later on, she's softened a bit. Josuke is actually extremely easygoing and unflappable later when it comes to problems/his temper, saying he's crazy seems kind of off. He definitely gets over-excited but he's, y'know, a teenage boy.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 2, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I dunno if I really like gray hair koichi but overall the colors are quite good, especially how they kept morioh as a place where all background colors are subtly off (compare it with jotaro's town in part 3)

there's nothing that's Complete Sacrilege like giving jotaro a black/grey outfit instead of the blue/pink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wonder what the ratio is of people just kinda rolling with their Favorite Character Ever having an affair compared to taking it like some sort of personal slight like araki personally wanted them to suffer