Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Lunch Grille no called no show 2 days now, texts us at 8 today to quit outright. The new Garde didn't fill out paperwork on time and is getting deported (to Canada).

And the hell inspector dinged us for not having a hand sink in our pastry room, when there is a hand sink 19 feet from the doorway (the doorway has no door in it)

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Got our inspection yesterday as well and the only problem he found was the heat-sanitizing dish machine was running under temp. Hopefully this taught the morning guy to stop leaving the drat thing open all the time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

everythingWasBees posted:

Also they have a chili dog again, dunno if it's the same or even a similar recipe.

That chilidog was one of the best things I have ever eaten. It was a perfect dish top to bottom.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Front of house you likely have a bunch of people paying student loans by still working the same job they took to help pay for school and still don't have health insurance. So I can understand his appeal.

This is no joke. The majority of our FOH staff has a bachelor's degree in psychology.

PhoenixShen
Feb 13, 2016

Well I got another job offer at a place I really want to work at, kicker is at much less money for the first 30 days... And they are opening a new location which IF it takes off then I can make more money and benefits. Also I can pick up catering gigs on the side.

So does one stay in hell with no baking schedule, a chef that gets in your face at the drop of a hat, and horrible hours for more money?

Or does one roll the dice with the new place which puts me on the ramen diet for at least 3 months and a real roll of the dice if it will add up to enough income to keep me above the poverty line in the long run?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'd roll the dice, but that's me.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Saturday is my last day FoH. One of the world's largest liquor companies called and I'm gonna sell me some whiskey.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

PhoenixShen posted:

Well I got another job offer at a place I really want to work at, kicker is at much less money for the first 30 days... And they are opening a new location which IF it takes off then I can make more money and benefits. Also I can pick up catering gigs on the side.

So does one stay in hell with no baking schedule, a chef that gets in your face at the drop of a hat, and horrible hours for more money?

Or does one roll the dice with the new place which puts me on the ramen diet for at least 3 months and a real roll of the dice if it will add up to enough income to keep me above the poverty line in the long run?

roll

the

dice

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Don't leave like a dick and roll the dice. You can probably go back to your lovely job if stuff doesn't go as planned.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Speaking of which is anyone else noticing a service industry favoritism towards Bernie Sanders? Because except for a few bartenders who are known jet-fuel-can't-melt-steel-beams-level-paranoid conservatives it's a landslide for the Bern in my neck of the woods.

P. much only one other on my crew is feelin' the Bern. Everyone else loves Trump. Which is completely bizarre. We work at an elite liberal arts college, and the main whine from the crew is how privileged all our clients are. I'm just like...:psyduck:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

bloody ghost titty posted:

Saturday is my last day FoH. One of the world's largest liquor companies called and I'm gonna sell me some whiskey.

Which one?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

So as the night crew member with the longest tenure I make the same money as a freshly hired greeter. Not gonna front, that's a hard pill to swallow.
If you put the same effort into anything at all, you will make more money.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Take out the cherry part and I'm in. I love sour beers.

I didn't know I loved sours until Exile Brewing came out with one this year and I got hooked.

Good beer.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Your whiskey sucks.

e: Unless it's my whiskey. But I doubt it. Sucka.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

Your whiskey sucks.

e: Unless it's my whiskey. But I doubt it. Sucka.

Hahaha gently caress you let's do a ride along.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Haven't got to the social media policy, but it'll go up on FB soon.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Babylon Astronaut posted:

If you put the same effort into anything at all, you will make more money.

If I was in it for the money I wouldn't be posting in this thread

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If its beam-Suntory, I've got a bone to pick with you

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I closed last night and that sucks because it left me with nothing to do when I got in today, since usually the first couple hours of my day are taken up by doing poo poo the closer should have done the night before. :negative:

And we had to thaw the ice cream freezer because the same dumbass closers forgot to put away a 5gal tub of ice cream until it was liquid, then put it away without cleaning it up. Leaked all over the shake reach in. :(

On the plus side I got a free lunch when a cook started on a regular's order early on the only day the regular didn't get his usual. And some kids left me dollar bill origami as a tip!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Hahaha gently caress you let's do a ride along.

I'm seriously going to write a wolf-of-wall-st style screenplay of this loving biz, so I'd love to hear stories from the streets for sure.

Latest fun concept I wrapped my head around was sales reps loaning money to customers on COD.. this is how loansharks are born.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Save me jeebus posted:

P. much only one other on my crew is feelin' the Bern. Everyone else loves Trump. Which is completely bizarre. We work at an elite liberal arts college, and the main whine from the crew is how privileged all our clients are. I'm just like...:psyduck:

Best I could figure is the old/new money's riled up about Trump, and no one even knows about Bernie other than 'Gonna lose to Clinton'. So they go with the candidate to cut of their own noses with rather than find out about the dude who at the very least has some good ideas.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
How often do you guys get shorted by distributors on your orders? I've been noticing that we've been getting shorted or outed more and more over the past few months, to the point where basically every truck is missing or short on something, and one of our distributors never bothers to mention it, they just charge us for whatever we ordered and leave it for us to notice and file for reimbursement on the items they don't deliver. It's a huge pain in the rear end, but there aren't any other distributors in our lovely little part of the country, so we're stuck with it, unless they're doing something illegal, which I doubt.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

How often do you guys get shorted by distributors on your orders? I've been noticing that we've been getting shorted or outed more and more over the past few months, to the point where basically every truck is missing or short on something, and one of our distributors never bothers to mention it, they just charge us for whatever we ordered and leave it for us to notice and file for reimbursement on the items they don't deliver. It's a huge pain in the rear end, but there aren't any other distributors in our lovely little part of the country, so we're stuck with it, unless they're doing something illegal, which I doubt.

It's unusual to get shorted on my orders, but i order from GFS. Mostly it's bad picks from the warehouse; sometimes a deliveryman has a bad day or I let them go before I sign the invoice without checking it properly. I live in a city. Getting shorted on menu essentials for me happens most when there are crop failures.

edit: or someone decides to dump pig poo poo into irrigation for spinach etc

Water777 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 1, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

If your driver doesn't tell you he forgot X or X wasn't there when your truck was loaded, there's something shady going on. If your distributor/sales rep doesn't take it seriously when you report it, it is even loving shadier.

If you can give me the name of the distributor, I may be able to help more? IDK, but I know good reps and whatnot in the south, and can at least get you someone reputable.

e: when I get shorted, at least one of my reps calls me the night before so I can order from someone else if need be, and I'm only a 4mil/yr property. God knows what he's doing for out 12mil property.

Pen Express
Sep 23, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Our distributor rarely has something missing and I'm in west MI. If they do they'll take it off the bill and inform me if they do.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If your driver doesn't tell you he forgot X or X wasn't there when your truck was loaded, there's something shady going on. If your distributor/sales rep doesn't take it seriously when you report it, it is even loving shadier.

If you can give me the name of the distributor, I may be able to help more? IDK, but I know good reps and whatnot in the south, and can at least get you someone reputable.

e: when I get shorted, at least one of my reps calls me the night before so I can order from someone else if need be, and I'm only a 4mil/yr property. God knows what he's doing for out 12mil property.

I appreciate the offer, but I am nowhere near the south. It only happens with one of our distributors, the other's rep calls or texts as soon a she knows they can't fulfill our order to let us know the specifics and work it out. None of the drivers for either company give a poo poo, all they care about is getting a signature and getting to their next delivery.

We strongly suspect that this is happening because we no longer need to order two trucks a week from them anymore. Everyone once and a while we get the ol "Oh yeah, we didn't have that at our warehouse yet for your order, but if you can put together an order for Thursday, we can have it for you." knowing full well that we only need the one drat item that they shorted us, but wanting us to tack on a bunch of extra poo poo to make minimum order amount to drum up the extra business.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That sounds shady as poo poo. If you can get a different distrubator do it. Otherwise make sure everything is there before you sign. If the only thing the driver cares about is the signature, making them wait because you've been burned before is a quick way to get them to pay attention too.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I appreciate the offer, but I am nowhere near the south. It only happens with one of our distributors, the other's rep calls or texts as soon a she knows they can't fulfill our order to let us know the specifics and work it out. None of the drivers for either company give a poo poo, all they care about is getting a signature and getting to their next delivery.

We strongly suspect that this is happening because we no longer need to order two trucks a week from them anymore. Everyone once and a while we get the ol "Oh yeah, we didn't have that at our warehouse yet for your order, but if you can put together an order for Thursday, we can have it for you." knowing full well that we only need the one drat item that they shorted us, but wanting us to tack on a bunch of extra poo poo to make minimum order amount to drum up the extra business.

Get a mole inside the warehouse to feed you dirty things.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The only things we end up missing are the weird poo poo our members have decided that we must have. Like sparkling water from Wales.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

Shabadu posted:

The only things we end up missing are the weird poo poo our members have decided that we must have. Like sparkling water from Wales.

Members? Do you cook for an exclusive club?

I'd go after salt instead of water if it was from Wales

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Yeah, im FOH at a private city club. Think 10k+ in dues yearly. To say that they're particular would be an understatement.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
Easter brunch was 380 people pushed through a fine dining hotel restaurant that normally accommodates ~150 dinner. Buffets are the expertise of banquets. Our buffet included two carvers, one pasta, one omelet, and one waffle / eggs benedict cook (five cooks on display total), plus 11 chafers for hot food, 8 stoves, plus other enormous sections (raw bar, salad, dessert, etc). Banquets sets this up. Banquets supplies the plates, heat lamps, portable stoves, chafers, butane and sternos, and also routes the electricity with extension cords such that fuses aren't blown.
Both banquet staff and staff from the restaurant (ie non banquet staff) were put on as servers and server assistants. Then three people from banquets ran all the food.
Pre-shift discussion included whether "foodrunners" were to be tipped out. The answer was yes.
Paycheck today reflected no tips for working Easter brunch. Some SAs received such paltry tips they made LESS at Easter than their normal hourly. And some servers made over $50/hr.
Plus, our payroll guy / foh was fired two weeks ago. I'm mad, bros.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

hrolfr posted:

Easter brunch was 380 people pushed through a fine dining hotel restaurant that normally accommodates ~150 dinner. Buffets are the expertise of banquets. Our buffet included two carvers, one pasta, one omelet, and one waffle / eggs benedict cook (five cooks on display total), plus 11 chafers for hot food, 8 stoves, plus other enormous sections (raw bar, salad, dessert, etc). Banquets sets this up. Banquets supplies the plates, heat lamps, portable stoves, chafers, butane and sternos, and also routes the electricity with extension cords such that fuses aren't blown.
Both banquet staff and staff from the restaurant (ie non banquet staff) were put on as servers and server assistants. Then three people from banquets ran all the food.
Pre-shift discussion included whether "foodrunners" were to be tipped out. The answer was yes.
Paycheck today reflected no tips for working Easter brunch. Some SAs received such paltry tips they made LESS at Easter than their normal hourly. And some servers made over $50/hr.

:wow: update your résumé

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

hrolfr posted:

gently caress that raise hell.

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

gently caress that raise hell.

Seconding this; I'd be calling a regulatory agency on Monday. If not now, when?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

hrolfr posted:

you have an obligation to make that the most expensive couple-hundred dollars they ever save on the backs of their cooks. zero excuses.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Just call and threaten to use their competition. Talk to your rep, and ask him if he really wants lose X amount of business a week, Month, year because someone over their can't get their poo poo together enough to even give you a phone call or text that something Might not come in. Also say their competition has better prices on X so they better beat that while they are at it too.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cods posted:

Just call and threaten to use their competition. Talk to your rep, and ask him if he really wants lose X amount of business a week, Month, year because someone over their can't get their poo poo together enough to even give you a phone call or text that something Might not come in. Also say their competition has better prices on X so they better beat that while they are at it too.

They said that there is no competition:

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

They're probably just lazy because they can afford to be rather than purposely trying to screw you. If you can't get what you get through them anywhere else all you can do is be extra vigilant in checking their orders in and being a (polite and civil) pain in the rear end when something's wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Republicans posted:

They're probably just lazy because they can afford to be rather than purposely trying to screw you. If you can't get what you get through them anywhere else all you can do is be extra vigilant in checking their orders in and being a (polite and civil) pain in the rear end when something's wrong.

This is probably as likely as anything. It's just lovely, since our trucks usually all come in on Monday, which is my day off, so I have very little control over poo poo getting missed. Honestly, I'd be happy having one on Monday and the other on Thursday so our cooler space isn't such a clusterfuck for the first half of every week, but that's how the chef-owners want it done. Mostly I just wish there was a reasonable way for us to get the distributor to get their poo poo together, but it seems unlikely.

• Locked thread