Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
As dumb as the Irenicus cameos etc. get, one nod to BG2 that I liked is that you can actually visit the temple of Bhaal Gorion saved you from. It makes sense that Sarevok would have located it, and it makes sense that Charname would follow up on the lead, too. The fights are a lot of fun as well.

On another note, I really wish I could break up Minsc and Dynaheir. As it stands I've got Invoker Charname, Glint, Corwin, Jaheira and those two, so if I want to add Neera (whenever she shows up) I'll end up with 3 Mages, and I'll have to kick out either Jaheira or Corwin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like when you go to recruit Garrick your character writes in their journal "unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately Garrick is too busy to come with us."

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've had a lot of fun with the first SoD area at least. The dungeon at the dwarven dig-site was fun!

I've got a quest question though, now that I've finished everything else I've found here. The halfling at the inn wants you to find three heirlooms of his - where's the shield at? The other two were real easy to find and I haven't had any trouble with the riddles and puzzles so far, but I cannot find this shield. Now granted, since I'm running Edwin as my only Mage I want that mirror for my own so I might not complete the quest anyway, but my mind can't leave any items undiscovered dammit.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

As dumb as the Irenicus cameos etc. get, one nod to BG2 that I liked is that you can actually visit the temple of Bhaal Gorion saved you from. It makes sense that Sarevok would have located it, and it makes sense that Charname would follow up on the lead, too. The fights are a lot of fun as well.

On another note, I really wish I could break up Minsc and Dynaheir. As it stands I've got Invoker Charname, Glint, Corwin, Jaheira and those two, so if I want to add Neera (whenever she shows up) I'll end up with 3 Mages, and I'll have to kick out either Jaheira or Corwin.

There's several mods for that. Or you could just send her on a lonesome journey into a pack of wolves.

In my BG1 playthrough I just gutted her right in front of Minsc and he didn't even notice that the witch he was sworn to protect had been murdered by a "friendly". 8 INT indeed.

Meanwhile I'm still cheesing my way through Icewind Dale, resting after nearly every fight, throwing my whole spellbook at lizardman shamans, and reloading when I get a rest ambush. The lizard king fight was very fun. I think I should have brought more meat to my party, my tanks end up tanking a bit more than they would like.

Party composition:
Human cavalier, dwarf fighter, human archer, half-elf swashbuckler (he's still a thief, thieves still suck), human cleric/mage, elf necromancer. The cavalier and the fighter have to work overtime tanking for four squishies.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 1, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

There's several mods for that. Or you could just send her on a lonesome journey into a pack of wolves.

In my BG1 playthrough I just gutted her right in front of Minsc and he didn't even notice that the witch he was sworn to protect had been murdered by a "friendly". 8 INT indeed.

Meanwhile I'm still cheesing my way through Icewind Dale, resting after nearly every fight, throwing my whole spellbook at lizardman shamans, and reloading when I get a rest ambush. The lizard king fight was very fun.

Yeah, Dragon's Eye doesn't gently caress around. Or it didn't in the original game anyway, I haven't had the chance to try the EE version.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Insurrectionist posted:

I've got a quest question though, now that I've finished everything else I've found here. The halfling at the inn wants you to find three heirlooms of his - where's the shield at? The other two were real easy to find and I haven't had any trouble with the riddles and puzzles so far, but I cannot find this shield. Now granted, since I'm running Edwin as my only Mage I want that mirror for my own so I might not complete the quest anyway, but my mind can't leave any items undiscovered dammit.
There's another map to the west you probably haven't found, took me ages as well.

Woolie Wool posted:

There probably aren't any mods like that for SoD right now, and if there are I'm not gonna try them right now.
Feeding Dynaheir to the wolves...might happen.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

Feeding Dynaheir to the wolves...might happen.

Do it. You know you want to. :devil:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Wizard Styles posted:

There's another map to the west you probably haven't found, took me ages as well.

You can go west!? :aaaaa:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Woolie Wool posted:

Do it. You know you want to. :devil:
I actually just found some nice cages in the area right before the one where you pick up Neera, which I doubt is a coincidence. Gonna see how well 3 Mages work for now, but if I end up missing Insect Plague, Dynaheir goes into a cage.

Insurrectionist posted:

You can go west!? :aaaaa:
Where the skies are blue, yes.

(I didn't realize this either at first and spent probably half an hour scouring the area for some terrain feature to interact with that doesn't light up when you press Tab. All that was achieved was turning a bear hostile.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Wizard Styles posted:

e2: Also I can't believe they redid the UI, wrote Glint into the game and the Thieving button is still under Special Abilities for Cleric/Thieves urghhh

:allears:

Woolie Wool posted:

This is not the mod's fault. 2.0 will adjust difficulty down if you reload a save you've loaded a couple of times before because it's stupid, thinks you're frustrated, and wants to "help" you. If you were playing on Easy, this means Story Mode. Turn it off, be prepared to do so again (and again, and again). This is the worst thing they did for 2.0 and I hope they get rid of it.

When you load a save, watch the character portraits for the invulnerable icon. If it appears, the game auto-enabled Story Mode and you'll have to turn it off.

That is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I am bad at video games so I end up turning story mode off a lot.

Observation: Pillars of Eternity combat is closer to Icewind Dale than Baldur's Gate in bow enemies are used and how combat plays out. It's more about prioritization and decision-making and battles last a lot longer than in BG.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dillbag posted:

Didn't the author say that he hated writing adaptations and that he wrote most of the novel on the toilet?

Yes. But he wrote most of it in the ad breaks while watching TV - it explains a lot.

Give us more details, bongwizzard!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

I like when you go to recruit Garrick your character writes in their journal "unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately Garrick is too busy to come with us."
Garrick with the Army Scythe and the ability to cast Fireball is pretty nice to have around.

Also how the hell did I not know this thread existed until today? I've wasted so much time over the last month on Baldur's Gate :ughh:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

K, so I'm introducing my roommates to BG - I have EasyTutu set up, Tweak/Fix Pack, Banter/Romance, Quest Pack and Unfinished Business all in the queue.

I have BGEE and BG2EE on steam, but never played them. Is the new expansion worth getting? What changes are already included in BGEE? What mods are compatible?

edit: Also, are the console commands still the same? Does Shadowkeeper work? Can I bring my save games from Tutu to BGEE?

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 2, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Random encounters are really cool in Siege of Dragonspear, they're basically mini-adventures.

I saved a baby dragon and it gave me its baby hoard as thanks. :3:

LowellDND posted:

What changes are already included in BGEE? What mods are compatible?

edit: Also, are the console commands still the same? Does Shadowkeeper work?
Tweak/Fix Pack and 1 Pixel Productions are the main mods already included afaik, and you won't need Tutu. No quest, banter, item etc. stuff.
I think almost all mods are compatible by now, but it's still a case by case thing.
Commands are the same but it's C: instead of CLUAConsole: now.
There's a new Shadowkeeper version called EEKeeper.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

Party composition:
Human cavalier, dwarf fighter, human archer, half-elf swashbuckler (he's still a thief, thieves still suck), human cleric/mage, elf necromancer. The cavalier and the fighter have to work overtime tanking for four squishies.

I usually go for:
Dwarf Barbarian Two weapon fighting bastard sword
Human Paladin Undead Hunter Long sword and shield
Half-elf Fighter/Druid Spears
Half-elf Ranger/Cleric Two weapon fighting warhammer flail/morning star
Human Bard Longbow Two handed sword
Elf Mage/Thief Long Sword Shortbow

For my party composition.
The Paladin and Barbarian become pretty great tanks and the druid/fighter and cleric/ranger can take a punch too and provide any healing needed.
The bard and Mage/thief provide all the arcane magic I could ever need while also adding ranged attacks to my party and bard song is pretty great in IWD.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Wizard Styles posted:

Tweak/Fix Pack and 1 Pixel Productions are the main mods already included afaik, and you won't need Tutu. No quest, banter, item etc. stuff.
I think almost all mods are compatible by now, but it's still a case by case thing.
Commands are the same but it's C: instead of CLUAConsole: now.
There's a new Shadowkeeper version called EEKeeper.

Splendid. Anyone know if I can bring Tutu saves over?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

LowellDND posted:

K, so I'm introducing my roommates to BG - I have EasyTutu set up, Tweak/Fix Pack, Banter/Romance, Quest Pack and Unfinished Business all in the queue.

I have BGEE and BG2EE on steam, but never played them. Is the new expansion worth getting? What changes are already included in BGEE? What mods are compatible?

edit: Also, are the console commands still the same? Does Shadowkeeper work? Can I bring my save games from Tutu to BGEE?

The patch that came out yesterday may have broken any and all mods. It defiantly broke the banter, romance, quest and I think Unfinished Business mods for me. YMMV of course, but I couldn't install more than 1 mod before the game would stop loading, and any mod that requires text comes up has the text come up as "Invalid".

Some of the tweek changes still work, but not all of them I think, so ah...good luck.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 2, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

Yes. But he wrote most of it in the ad breaks while watching TV - it explains a lot.

Give us more details, bongwizzard!

I will when I finish it. Beyond the general bad writing, the characters make no sense at all. Like, it seems like the author was just given a one sentence description of each character and that was it.

It would have been so loving simple to just take the cannon party, run them through the high points of the quest, and turn in your 250 pages. It really does seem like the author was actively malicious towards the game.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I will when I finish it. Beyond the general bad writing, the characters make no sense at all. Like, it seems like the author was just given a one sentence description of each character and that was it.

It would have been so loving simple to just take the cannon party, run them through the high points of the quest, and turn in your 250 pages. It really does seem like the author was actively malicious towards the game.

I've heard that Jaheira is a classic damsel in distress (who rips her shirt off when a spider falls into it) and Khalid is a lecherous womaniser.

But yeah, the novel is kind of amazing because making an average novel of BG1 would have been so simple - and then this guy comes in and mangles the plot, characters... really, every part of it.

Sarevok doesn't even kill Gorion!

I've always wanted to read it to get the full picture, and yet paying money for it seems incredibly poor form.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, along with Icewind Dale EE are on sale over at GOG.

I'm thinking about buying Icewind Dale EE. I probably shouldn't, since I've already got the original version of Icewind Dale, and I still haven't made it out of Chapter 2 in BG2, but the new kit additions and quality-of-life changes make it real tempting. :shepspends:

Milky Moor posted:

But yeah, the novel is kind of amazing because making an average novel of BG1 would have been so simple - and then this guy comes in and mangles the plot, characters... really, every part of it.

Are you going to read the BG2 and Throne of Bhaal novels, too?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you're reading tie ins, don't forget Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Does the new BG expansion add anything back into BG:EE if I was going to play through the main game first? The new class I assume, but anything else? (even if its just interface improvements and stuff)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

LibbyM posted:

even if its just interface improvements and stuff

:laugh:

Interface retrogression if you use the default one

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

LowellDND posted:

Splendid. Anyone know if I can bring Tutu saves over?

Yes and no. Your character will transfer over, the bio won't but stats and xp and class, kit will. Unless its a modded clsss. But all your items are hosed. Unlike bgt, tutu has a different naming scheme for it's items they all teplace the first letter with an underscore so bg1ee won't be able to tell they are default items. (Cept for the very few that transfer over to bg2, they kept the orignal filename names for that)

Your party is a different matter, they will come over with class and stats intact but new bios will be gone and in some cases soundsets too so its not worth importing a save, when i did it with my bgt save everyone was just how i had left them cept khalid had broken strings, jaheria couldnt talk and no one had any bio info.

You could import your character and while there is a bug with importing characters that removes all their equipment, your tutu save will have vanished everything anyways. You could get around it via console command and remembering what items you had but with tutu i wouldnt bother with it.

I did spend a few hours last night however doing some crazy container importing by extracting the store files from my old bgt saves custom containers but i wouldnt recommend it unless you know what you are doing and are dumb like me.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Dragonspear confirmed to own.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

The Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, along with Icewind Dale EE are on sale over at GOG.

I'm thinking about buying Icewind Dale EE. I probably shouldn't, since I've already got the original version of Icewind Dale, and I still haven't made it out of Chapter 2 in BG2, but the new kit additions and quality-of-life changes make it real tempting. :shepspends:

I don't have access to any of them, unfortunately, although I have read parts of the ToB novel - years ago, though. I remember the ToB adaptation being average as opposed to terrible but I also think it was written by one of the Bioware guys who went on to work on Mass Effect (Karpyshyn?) and not the original author.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Planescape: Torment remake WHEN?!?!?!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Pwnstar posted:

Dragonspear confirmed to own.

OMG that is amazing, I might have to get dragonspear just for that thing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

I've heard that Jaheira is a classic damsel in distress (who rips her shirt off when a spider falls into it) and Khalid is a lecherous womaniser.

Sarevok doesn't even kill Gorion!

I've always wanted to read it to get the full picture, and yet paying money for it seems incredibly poor form.

I'm going to give this thing away when I am done so you will have a chance.

I have 10 pages left and there is no way this is going to be wrapped up reasonably.

Max Wilco posted:

Arivia posted:

If you're reading tie ins, don't forget Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II.

I feel like I should I guess.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Max Wilco posted:

They are insanely cheap as well - $2.99 each. Steam has the original BG:EE for $5, but the other two are still at normal price. GOG also now has Dragonspear after they basically said that it wouldn't be available there on launch.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm still too early into Dragonspear to form an opinion but i dig it so far. But I am really really loving the new interface! I really wish they'd finish enhancing the rest of the infinity engine games but I feel like they are not going to do Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape because of how different the underlying game systems are.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

I'm still too early into Dragonspear to form an opinion but i dig it so far. But I am really really loving the new interface! I really wish they'd finish enhancing the rest of the infinity engine games but I feel like they are not going to do Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape because of how different the underlying game systems are.

Correct.

I hate how Haste fatigues your party when it wears off in IWD. They ruined my favorite spell.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It does the same in BG. Fatigue is still better than aging 1 year, though.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

You can have David Warner as a PC voice in BG:EE now? When did this happen, that's amazing! :swoon:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Haha drat Corwin is loving insane. Her THAC0 is 0 right now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

I feel like I should I guess.

It's Ed Greenwood writing about Amn and tying in some stuff from BG2 into what's already there (including rectifying the oddity that Suldanesselar is as portrayed in the game.) Sweet sweet Realmslore from the master.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Can't believe i spent most of the day modding the gently caress out of my party and inventory and messing with loving containers like a giant sperg to get back to that magic feeling i had playing through bg1 in bgt.

Now i feel it. I feel that loving goatee on a half-orc Minsc. Now i can finally play this loving thing. (watch everything bug out by the time i get out of the tomb)

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 2, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If you made Minsc a half-orc, he should have 19 STR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

It's Ed Greenwood writing about Amn and tying in some stuff from BG2 into what's already there (including rectifying the oddity that Suldanesselar is as portrayed in the game.) Sweet sweet Realmslore from the master.

My memory of realms stuff is so faded at this point that I really only know the stuff touched on in the BG games and really only BG1 as my chronic restarting has meant that my bg1/bg2 time played ratio is like 80/20. If you had to pick the three or four best FR novels, what would they be?

Edit: Strongly feel that Minsc should not have a goatee. I don't even like him much but come the gently caress on dude.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 2, 2016