Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
He has the longest range counterattack in the game, such that it should be used offensively rather than classicaly.
He's just an all rounder with the wierd super cool feature being he has the best CA in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16523/~/shadow-mewtwo-amiibo-card-offer-for-pokk%C3%A9n-tournament

Free Shadow Mewtwo amiicard for people who bought the game digitally via eShop. Please drop it in the OP somewhere, valid until the end of July '16.

This is already useless for everyone at this point, but may as well!

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Apparently there's going to be a patch to fix the Shadow Mewtwo infinite:
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/715767472415248384

Damone
May 3, 2009

dromer posted:

Apparently there's going to be a patch to fix the Shadow Mewtwo infinite:

I hope they fix Garchomp's dig first hit not hit stunning.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Oh, is that why YYY dig sometimes only hits 4 times and is then blocked?
What a world.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Damone posted:

I hope they fix Garchomp's dig first hit not hit stunning.

The Gorp posted:

Oh, is that why YYY dig sometimes only hits 4 times and is then blocked?
What a world.

Oh wow yeah this explains a lot. Hope that patch hits soon.

Damone
May 3, 2009

Sade posted:

Oh wow yeah this explains a lot. Hope that patch hits soon.

Makes Suicune matchups a real slog and a half, holy hell.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

My ventures into Ranked is going well.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I cant wait until Shadow Mewtwo is nerfed so I can go on about how much I loathe Pikachu.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

The game kept giving me these hats constantly but it randomly stopped all of a sudden. I found out that the only reason why was because I randomly dropped every type of them in the game so it ran out of them to give me.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Just wait till you get to C rank Zero, wins stop being free.
By B rank you only see 5 pokemon played, ever.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

The Gorp posted:

Just wait till you get to C rank Zero, wins stop being free.
By B rank you only see 5 pokemon played, ever.

I usually get paired up with D and B ranks for some reason and barely any Es, and I'm assuming it's because they're not very good. The matchmaking in this game is weird. Also, for some reason, it's never given me a C ranked player.

I know the early ranked players aren't really challenging but I thought it was funny that I could go 20 games without running into anybody decent.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 2, 2016

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
If the person is a rage quitter their matchmaking value looks like it goes down even if it doesn't change their physical rank.
The now S rank Chandelure has been matched with me so many times. I have to let it look close or he just DC's again.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i got a machamp player to ragequit after perfecting him without ever leaving field phase. that made me feel good

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I mean, I kinda feel bad for him. I shouldn't but I do.
What character were you as you pulled that off?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

The Gorp posted:

If the person is a rage quitter their matchmaking value looks like it goes down even if it doesn't change their physical rank.
The now S rank Chandelure has been matched with me so many times. I have to let it look close or he just DC's again.

If you block somebody via Friend List -> Player History, it prevents you from being matched up against them. Good for laggy folks or people prone to quitting.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
how did they gently caress up the alt colours in this game so bad?

it was lovely enough when smash bros did it but this is a loving pokemon game and there is one single alt colour hmm wonder what we can go with here the shiny orrrrrrrrr some random garbage with a stupid headband or painted on pants or some other ugly crap? mewtwo and gardevoir are the only ones that look good they could honestly be actual shinies, everything else is total poo poo.

not being able to play white mega gengar is a loving crime :(

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Mr. Unlucky posted:

it was lovely enough when smash bros did it but this is a loving pokemon game and there is one single alt colour hmm wonder what we can go with here the shiny orrrrrrrrr some random garbage with a stupid headband or painted on pants or some other ugly crap? mewtwo and gardevoir are the only ones that look good they could honestly be actual shinies, everything else is total poo poo.

they specifically avoid the shiny colors because a bunch of the playable chars' shiny colors are, like, two hex values away from the regular color. See: Garchomp.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shiny 2, I guess.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

The Gorp posted:

I mean, I kinda feel bad for him. I shouldn't but I do.
What character were you as you pulled that off?

braixen. i dont see any way machamp should ever win that matchup when played correctly, he has no way to get in. even if he tries to cadc through you can punish the dash. and he has to do it so many times

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
He can cadc twice (one forward, one to the side)into a jump attack through the most common string.
I know this because I play machamp and hate my life.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, I feel like I'm just fighting game retarded or something. Fuckers keep hitting me and the stuff I do to try and hit them never works because I either get blocked, grabbed, or countered, and when I block or counter they punch through it or I don't manage to do anything useful after it and grabs are pointless and :suicide:

I hope this just comes with time because whacking my head against this is starting to hurt.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Something that this game wants you to do that most other fighters frown upon is challenging your opponent.

You don't jump over throws or tech them with your own, you challenge them with strong attacks.
You don't block moves with gaurd properties and punish them on block, you grab through them.
You don't block regular moves, you counterattack punish them.

Almost nothing in this game is unsafe (Unless you play Garchomp who doesn't have a single safe move in his body) meaning you have to call out what people are doing or force your own slew of moves on them.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mr. Unlucky posted:

I like how Charizards is his shiny, only with a South African warlord ribbon painted onto his body.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Emalde posted:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16523/~/shadow-mewtwo-amiibo-card-offer-for-pokk%C3%A9n-tournament

Free Shadow Mewtwo amiicard for people who bought the game digitally via eShop. Please drop it in the OP somewhere, valid until the end of July '16.

This is already useless for everyone at this point, but may as well!

Dammit...I bought a disc copy solely to get the card...why didn't this get announced ahead of time? I mean, props to Nintendo for taking care of digital purchasers...but this is kinda a thing that needed to be announced ahead of release

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Should I be trying to get the timing down correctly for moves like Y, Y, Y, Y or X, X, X, etc.? An action denoted as something like that just means "mash that button" to me.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Outside of some speed characters just mash the buttons.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pollyanna posted:

Man, I feel like I'm just fighting game retarded or something. Fuckers keep hitting me and the stuff I do to try and hit them never works because I either get blocked, grabbed, or countered, and when I block or counter they punch through it or I don't manage to do anything useful after it and grabs are pointless and :suicide:

I hope this just comes with time because whacking my head against this is starting to hurt.

Did you jump straight into online battles? If so, you're going to run into people that have been leveling the hell out of their 'mons in the single player campaign. A lot of my wins as Suicune come from people just having lower levels or being new at a character, because lord knows I'm not actually good at this game. I'm expecting to start getting severely punished once I hit C-rank or so.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think single player teaches people bad habits that won't work online. The matches that I was winning at low rank were people that would let me punish their ground beam spam from across the field with Machamp's midair homing attack.

Also I'm pretty sure levels don't mean much. I have max attack and hardly increases damage by more than a few points even on stronger attacks.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 3, 2016

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

rickiep00h posted:

Did you jump straight into online battles? If so, you're going to run into people that have been leveling the hell out of their 'mons in the single player campaign. A lot of my wins as Suicune come from people just having lower levels or being new at a character, because lord knows I'm not actually good at this game. I'm expecting to start getting severely punished once I hit C-rank or so.

I don't think that actually matters that much, because each point in a stat only increases your damage by .01% for offense, reduces damage by .01% for defense, Burst Mode attack/defense boost and duration by .01%, or support damage and charge time reduction by .01%.

So it kinda looks like defense is the best stat to put points into, since it more-or-less nullifies all the other stat bonuses that someone else might have, but either way they're pretty minute changes.

tl;dr having a higher leveled pokemon doesn't really matter because the stat changes aren't huge

EDIT: VVV They're not, stat changes DO affect online play according to reddit. You can even test it yourself if you want. Look at the damage that an attack does with 0 skill points in offense, then note the change when you put a bunch of points into offense. It'll still do more damage when you go online. Well, depending on how many points your opponent has in defense. Either way, the number might be different :v:

Xad fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 3, 2016

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i would be shocked if the level up bonuses weren't turned off for online play.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What is the point of stat boosts then? :psyduck:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Xad posted:

I don't think that actually matters that much, because each point in a stat only increases your damage by .01% for offense, reduces damage by .01% for defense, Burst Mode attack/defense boost and duration by .01%, or support damage and charge time reduction by .01%.

So it kinda looks like defense is the best stat to put points into, since it more-or-less nullifies all the other stat bonuses that someone else might have, but either way they're pretty minute changes.

tl;dr having a higher leveled pokemon doesn't really matter because the stat changes aren't huge

EDIT: VVV They're not, stat changes DO affect online play according to reddit. You can even test it yourself if you want. Look at the damage that an attack does with 0 skill points in offense, then note the change when you put a bunch of points into offense. It'll still do more damage when you go online. Well, depending on how many points your opponent has in defense. Either way, the number might be different :v:

Well then maybe I'm better with my lovely blue dog-thing than I thought. A hundredth of a percent is goddamned hilarious.

Regardless, I didn't even bother stepping into online seriously until I was pretty sure I had a solid grasp on what I was doing and what other 'mons looked like. Because I got my rear end handed to me the first three or four battles I did and I'm fairing much better now. :shrug:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Pollyanna posted:

What is the point of stat boosts then? :psyduck:

You feel good about leveling up, even when you're losing.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It's thematic with the series.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
All of these online multiplayer things are RPGs....
We must add RPG to the fighter! Otherwise it will not be popular!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I like that they've fulled embraced Lucario's identity as "DBZ Transplant Character" for Pokken.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Does garchomp's head bash dive act as a normal attack or counter? It seems to keep breaking my counters

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Spintzel posted:

Does garchomp's head bash dive act as a normal attack or counter? It seems to keep breaking my counters

From this description I'm not sure which move you mean, but there are some attacks that pierce counters, they'll be noted on the movelist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
If you play as Mewtwo or Chandeleur you are a bad person and I hate you.

• Locked thread