Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jojoinnit posted:

I've played AP all the way through and I had no idea the scenarios changed depending on your responses, I thought it just changed what they'd say to you. :aaaaa:

Haha no this isn't yet another seasonal telltale game. But rather a gem of effort forged under the belly of sega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I didn't find out the truth about the sketchy Russian dude at the embassy until like my 3rd or 4th play through. That's a whole mission that I had never seen until after beating the game multiple times.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I didn't find out the truth about the sketchy Russian dude at the embassy until like my 3rd or 4th play through. That's a whole mission that I had never seen until after beating the game multiple times.
The best part is if you team up with his patsy instead of killing him.

"Your bodyguard is winning gold medal in dying" is one of the most amazing lines in that game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

TomViolence posted:

Alpha protocol is the reason I'm stoked as all gently caress for Tyranny coming out.

Goddamn right bro, as much as I love NV and PoE, a shorter, tighter game that hopefully has a lot more reactivity and depth (but with enough time in the oven) is my jam.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

theshim posted:

The best part is if you team up with his patsy instead of killing him.

"Your bodyguard is winning gold medal in dying" is one of the most amazing lines in that game.

I gave him 6.4 on the dismount but he did not stick the landing

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
And of course another one of the best things you could get in your spy house was the sound system that lets you play TURN UP THE RADIO when you want.

I love that song because of Alpha Protocol, and I crank the volume up in my car whenever the dadrock station puts it on.

Here. You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAJV2va9V9A

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That fight can be really hard and that song being fantastic goes a long way to alleviate the frustration.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Lotish posted:

That fight can be really hard and that song being fantastic goes a long way to alleviate the frustration.

And to expand on the "can be", as I'm sure has been done in previous iterations of the thread, at one part of the game, you infiltrate a Russian gangster's mansion and take him on. The fight can be toughened by the gangster snorting cocaine and becoming super fast and damage resistant and such.

Friggin' superdrugs.

OR you can taint the cocaine and make him super vulnerable to attack when he tries it instead.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Olaf The Stout posted:

My favorite villian in my megabeard autistic swamphat James Bond-wanna-be playhrough was Conrad... something? The main dude in Rome. He by far was the most psychologically damaged by my relentless corny dad jokes. Conrad is a local leader of an international mega-evil corporate conspiracy blah blah blah. What's great about him is he is a robotic professional but has no empathy or understanding of people. He promotes the wrong people all the time because he can't read them and talks like dorky competent robot, but he is an amazing agent and field worker. Basically he got promoted above his competency level, which shows how good obsidian writers are.

Anyway this dude was emotionally destroyed by my relentless assault of puns, cocky bluffs, and embarrassingly unfunny jokes. He hated me so much, that as his plans exploded all around him, he abandoned his professional "live again to fight another day" mentality to fistfight me in an exploding museum. With tears of rage in his eyes. Too bad the game is broken and I chain-headshot him 12 times before he could move, like I do to every boss in the game.

You can pun his eulogy and bone his daughter. I didn't bone her though because she was so offput by my relentless pun-nyness that she fled the safe room when I announced her fathers death with a pun and I never saw her again.

I don't think you bone Conrad's daughter. Conrad is probably gay, judging by some completely optional commentary when you infiltrate his mansion. That chick is someone else's daughter and if Conrad causes something bad to happen to her you can tell her father and he goes apeshit on Conrad, which leads to one of the few times Conrad's unflappable demeanor shatters. The other time being, of course, your example.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

poptart_fairy posted:

This works in reverse too! If you're cool and level-headed, with a reputation as such, but get angry at him during the museum level he will be insufferably smug and taunt you for getting under your skin. Jim Cummings did an incredible job with the voice acting on that guy.

Likewise, if you're a professional most of the time with others and just exclusively act like an rear end in a top hat clowning him, he gets incredibly annoyed with you rightly acting like he's some nobody mid-boss.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The reason Alpha Protocol is so fun is because you get to you play as Sterling Archer before the show was even around.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Polaron posted:

I don't think you bone Conrad's daughter. Conrad is probably gay, judging by some completely optional commentary when you infiltrate his mansion. That chick is someone else's daughter and if Conrad causes something bad to happen to her you can tell her father and he goes apeshit on Conrad, which leads to one of the few times Conrad's unflappable demeanor shatters. The other time being, of course, your example.

No I'm pretty sure it was conrads daughter because I am the best spy in the whole world. *swamphat and beard clip through motorcycle helmet*

Also conrads house is multiple stories of nude athletic Greek men wrestling. Like it's also a videogame level but he owns about a chiseled cubic acre of homoerotic two story rippling muscle men that you at one point run through the legs of.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 08:49 on Apr 2, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Steve Shultz posted:

The first time I played I turned off the (ingame) TV that was giving me my first mission briefing the instant my boss started talking to me and went '....ok gently caress what do I do?'

The dialogue you get if you do this is great though. Your character says something arrogantly about how he can handle things himself and your boss essentially goes "wait, what" before being cut off.

Polaron posted:

It's the daughter of the intel guy at Alpha Protocol.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The first time I beat AP I was so professional Conrad got super impressed and actually joined me for the final segment out of pure respect.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tevery Best posted:

The first time I beat AP I was so professional Conrad got super impressed and actually joined me for the final segment out of pure respect.

playin it wrong

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

playin it wrong

The only way to play Alpha Protocol wrong is to only play it once though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

The reason Alpha Protocol is so fun is because you get to you play as Sterling Archer before the show was even around.

I'll have you know Archer started in 2009.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'll have you know Archer started in 2009.

Huh, I thought the game was much older.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

playin it wrong

Definitely

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Inzombiac posted:

Huh, I thought the game was much older.

I think you're just thinking that because it plays like a game from 1997.

Alpha Protocol is tough because I love the writing and dialogue and reactivity as much as I actively hate the game part, and while I ended up deciding that it is not a good *game*, I've also put about 100 hours into it.

timp posted:

Oh, how perfect, I just beat Mass Effect for the first time ever last night. :)

The first time I got to Saren I didn't quite realize it was time for the Final Boss Fight, so after the token evil mastermind reveals his plan speech and the combat started, I turned the game off in order to fully enjoy the experience when I had more time. Last night I picked up where I left off, but this time I must have chosen some pretty different dialogue choices, which eventually led to me using my maxed out Intimidation skill to force Saren into shooting himself right in the head. God I love when there's an option to resolve issues in video games through dialogue.

While we're on the subject, this leads me to a question I've been wanting to ask on SA. Now that ME1 is in the books (a bit annoyed I can't cruise around space after the end game but whatevs) ME2 is next. I played ME1 on my ancient Xbox 360 that loads textures at a "Whenever I Get Around To It" speed, but since buying ME1 I've purchased a nice, high end PC and would much rather play ME2 on Steam. I've heard that your choices from ME1 carry over to ME2, so my question is: Would it be worth it to continue through the series on Xbox 360 to preserve my Renegade Blonde Shep and his choices, or is there some way to trick the PC version of ME2 into thinking I've made my ME1 choices from the Xbox 360 file on startup? Or is the continuity not even worth all this trouble in the first place?

Not sure if someone already answered you, but I know there are tools out there to create a save for the import.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
If you played the super sociopath "aggressive" Alpha Protocol spy you could say/do some genuinely scary poo poo, one of my favorite lines of the game was one of the female characters saying "I'm starting to think you're as bad as Conrad is." To which your spy would stare her down and snarl out, "Well you're wrong, I'm worse." Which was objectively true by that point if you stopped and thought about it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Steve Shultz posted:

You can kick open any door dramatically, and it seems to have no mechanical use.

The F.E.A.R. 1 expansion packs let you open doors by kicking them, which is cool but pointless, or punching them, which is a bit silly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You can also slide-kick people, which is pretty hilarious for a game where everyone has guns and you can go into bullet time on command.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

You can also slide-kick people, which is pretty hilarious for a game where everyone has guns and you can go into bullet time on command.

Don't forget the gun that literally nails people to the wall, and the one that just vaporizes soldiers in one shot, leaving a charred skeleton behind (my personal favourite :allears:)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tonight I reinstalled natural selection 2 on a whim because a streamer I follow was playing it, which was surprising because I thought it had died out. Sure enough there were about 150 people online, including a surprising number of rookies, and the game is still the best. The game somehow went on for two hours and even though it was exhausting by the end, people were only leaving because they had to go to goddamn sleep. No matter how many times we thought "this is it, this has to be the turning point" the game somehow turned around again because the teams were communicating so well and countering each other's plans.

I guess I'm just surprised at how much the game made that match actually fun when it should have been a two-hour stalemate and an utter slog. Even the matches where neither team can really break through for awhile can end up feeling really dynamic due to how differently the aliens and marines play.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
In Bloodborne, if you look into the gun's barrel you can see the quicksilver bullet in the chamber.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

In Rimworld, animals can get names when they nuzzle a colonist, and colonists get a mood boost when nuzzled. :3:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I only started watching Archer because someone said it was a show where the main character was like the rear end in a top hat in Alpha Protocol.

Had no idea Conrad would mock you if you were cool and break during his fight either. That's loving incredible.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ChogsEnhour posted:

I only started watching Archer because someone said it was a show where the main character was like the rear end in a top hat in Alpha Protocol.

Had no idea Conrad would mock you if you were cool and break during his fight either. That's loving incredible.

Honestly devs should just hire out Obsidian to make stories.
Or just give obsidian a super competent dev and art team.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Are there any AP references in Archer? One of the characters is also named Conrad :shrug:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Swedish Horror posted:

In Rimworld, animals can get names when they nuzzle a colonist, and colonists get a mood boost when nuzzled. :3:

Is this a new feature? I don't remember this happening in the colony where I bred Cobras.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Honestly devs should just hire out Obsidian to make stories.
Or just give obsidian a super competent dev and art team.

Or just give them the time needed to make games, because Pillars of Eternity is exceptional?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Is this a new feature? I don't remember this happening in the colony where I bred Cobras.

I'm pretty sure it's been in since Alpha 12, but I only just started playing again since then.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mister Adequate posted:

Or just give them the time needed to make games, because Pillars of Eternity is exceptional?

Isn't that the game that was so buggy that double clicking on an item would permanently lower your stats?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Guy Mann posted:

Isn't that the game that was so buggy that double clicking on an item would permanently lower your stats?

Large, intricate RPGs are always going to be buggy no matter who develops them, that bug in particular was so subtle that that not even players noticed it until after some time had passed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

it's also entirely mediocre in every conceivable way

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guy Mann posted:

I'm not trying to say they were perfect or anything. There were some bugs in it, yes. They were not worse or more numerous than bugs in other games of equivalent scope. Obsidian gets treated like they make games of such impossible bugginess that 80% of players can't even reach the title screen, that's what bugs (:haw:) me.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's also entirely mediocre in every conceivable way

This ain't the unpopular opinion thread buddy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

This ain't the unpopular opinion thread buddy.
Joke's on you, I don't see a popular opinion thread so you're not allowed to share yours anywhere :mrgw:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
In Dark Souls 2, when you get to the dragon aerie, you can find sleeping dragons with items under their wings. The first one you run across has the soul of a brave warrior under its wing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Joke's on you, I don't see a popular opinion thread so you're not allowed to share yours anywhere :mrgw:

I am undone :negative: