Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DrSunshine posted:

Also: Denmark too. Why, Denmark? Aren't you proud of making LEGO? :(

They've learned to lego of nationalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I'm under the impression that Danes are actually quite smugly nationalist as hell.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Orange Devil posted:

I'm under the impression that Danes are actually quite smugly nationalist as hell.

This statement has no lego to stand on.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Orange Devil posted:

In Denmark every day is National Day.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

This statement has no lego to stand on.

:ughh:

Are you pulling my lego with these puns

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress puns.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
puck funs

Ice Hockey World Championships winners

Purple is 25 times or more. Nobody else has won more than 10 times except the Czech Republic. Politically loaded because of how Czechoslovakian wins are counted.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 2, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Orange Devil posted:

That map clearly proves that we've ridden ourselves of the sin of nationalism.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Australia is completely wrong. Unification would be celebrated on January 1, the anniversary of federation.

Instead our national day, Australia Day on January 26, marks the beginning of the invasion of Eora land and genocide of indigenous peoples by British settlers.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

The average goon gets withdrawal symptoms if he doesn't smirkingly type 'white people' at least once a day, even when it makes no sense.

I fail to see what makes no sense about using "white people" to pithily describe the habit of three or four countries, all of which are majority-white and majority-English speaking, being the only countries to regurarly be split into sub-national divisions on world maps when so many other larger (both geographically and population-wise) countries which also have federal structures are rarely if ever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Australia is completely wrong.
:agreed:

Picking a national day in the middle of summer is a good idea though. I'd hope that the UK national day would be in June or July. And maybe not based on killing a bunch of people, but that'd put it in the minority.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I fail to see what makes no sense about using "white people" to pithily describe the habit of three or four countries, all of which are majority-white and majority-English speaking, being the only countries to regurarly be split into sub-national divisions on world maps when so many other larger (both geographically and population-wise) countries which also have federal structures are rarely if ever.

If you are indignant about american-made maps for American readers having focus on America, start sourcing your maps from Indian websites, I presume it wouldn't a problem for you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It makes no sense because subdivisions in other 'white' federal countries, such as the German Länder or Spanish autonomous communities, are virtually never shown on these maps either. The actual common denominator is the English language.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

If you are indignant about american-made maps for American readers having focus on America, start sourcing your maps from Indian websites, I presume it wouldn't a problem for you.

Sure, and that would make sense as a smug response if we were only talking about US-made maps and the only sub-national divisions on those maps were US states.

But then why do US-made maps feature Australian and UK sub-national divisions, but not say Mexican?

Why do Australian-made maps feature US and Canadian divisions, but not say Chinese?

Why do even most Indian-made world maps feature divisions of the aforementioned countries, but not Indian ones?

Why if not the cultural dominance of mostly-white nations?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sure, and that would make sense as a smug response if we were only talking about US-made maps and the only sub-national divisions on those maps were US states.

But then why do US-made maps feature Australian and UK sub-national divisions, but not say Mexican?

Why do Australian-made maps feature US and Canadian divisions, but not say Chinese?

Why do even most Indian-made world maps feature divisions of the aforementioned countries, but not Indian ones?

At the very least three of these four statements are patently false as a general rule. As for the cases when it does happen, it's because people are lazy and download map templates from English wikipedia and other English sites that have US subdivisions baked in. Nobody in the non-English speaking world bothers with painting 50 American states with their local values.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

please stop

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

clear_boundries_of_Austria_Hungary.jpg

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

We need to go deeper, where's my county level divisions?!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

wow, way to not take into account the 2008 structural reform of greenlander administrative divisions and municipalities

reported.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It wouldn't be politically loaded if there wasn't something wrong.

khwarezm posted:

We need to go deeper, where's my county level divisions?!
Ireland took them.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Although, speaking of administrative divisions that I could never get a handle on, here's a map of median per capita income per mainland commune (no idea of the scale other than blue is highest, red is lowest)

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Unified Sudan, 0/10

Oh wait i guess the red line follows the actual border, all right 1/10

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Was the author of this map in favor of re-integrating La Rioja into Castilla y León but leaving out Cantabria?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Politically loaded, shows Greenland has a national day while Denmark doesn't.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

vyelkin posted:

Not really, looks like annual ridership on the London Underground is about 1.3 billion whereas annual ridership on the NYC subway is around 1.75 billion. There's a difference but not an overwhelming one.

That's a little over 1.2 million fewer trips a day, that's a pretty big deal. There's also simply less people in easy use distance of the stops, because London's much less dense than NYC (Greater London and NYC proper are about the same population - 8.5 million - but Greater London's about double the land area).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

fade5 posted:

Politically loaded, shows Greenland has a national day while Denmark doesn't.
Greenlanders are a nation unto themselves, so if they want to have a national day that's perfectly fine, and since Greenland is semi-autonomous no one's stopping them.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Ireland took them.

The NUTS-2 level for Ireland are the Regional Assemblies :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kustomkarkommando posted:

The NUTS-2 level for Ireland are the Regional Assemblies :colbert:

Which are not called Leinster, Munster, and Connacht with a bit of Ulster for very politically loaded reasons.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Overlap of historical borders and claims

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Huh, I did not know that Ecuador used to be that big

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Mr. Nemo posted:

http://www.mytravelmap.tk/?1

British Malvinas/Falklands.
The Falklands are still politically loaded? I mean, outside of Argentina?

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Redczar posted:

Overlap of historical borders and claims

So there's part of modern Peru that they don't claim? Just got stuck with that dip in the northwest?

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Geshtal posted:

So there's part of modern Peru that they don't claim? Just got stuck with that dip in the northwest?

No idea why it isn't included. As far as I can find, Peru's claimed it since its independence.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tree Goat posted:

Although, speaking of administrative divisions that I could never get a handle on, here's a map of median per capita income per mainland commune (no idea of the scale other than blue is highest, red is lowest)

what is hard to get about this? A commune is a city, a town or a village.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Huh, I did not know that Ecuador used to be that big

A lot of these claims are based on creative interpretations of administrative divisions that existed during the colonial era. Most are no longer or have never been actively pursued.

Still, Bolívar has been rolling over in his grave since 1831.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 2, 2016

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Well I know that Ecuador has been pursuing its claims against Peru but I didn't realise the extent of their Portugal não é um país pequeno -ism

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Albino Squirrel posted:

The Falklands are still politically loaded? I mean, outside of Argentina?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/29/falklands-islands-argentina-celebrates-un-decision-to-expand-its/

So, no, not really. But it's still an active subject between the UK and Argentina.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
France is the proper owner of the Falklands. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Red/orange is prohibited, yellow is frowned upon, grey is indifferent/unspecified.