Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BraveUlysses posted:

I want one so drat bad, any chance of setting up another group buy?

Seconding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

tonedef131 posted:

I don't know very much about the fatigue cycles of these stones, but I've been down that road and they ALWAYS crack after a few years. I finally went the steel route. For the price of a purpose made baking stone you should be able to get a plate from your local Metal Supermarkets or the like. They can usually plasma cut up to 1/2" on the spot and the beauty is you can select the dimensions to suit your needs. When I made mine I went 18x15 because that was small enough to fit in my oven but big enough to straddle all 4 of my burners when using it as a griddle.

BraveUlysses posted:

I want one so drat bad, any chance of setting up another group buy?

Holy poo poo that is beautiful. How much did it end up costing for each one?

Regardless, I am also in for a group buy. Do you have to preheat it for a while or is it good to go after 5-10 mins like a cast iron griddle?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

dead lettuce posted:

Holy poo poo that is beautiful. How much did it end up costing for each one?

Regardless, I am also in for a group buy. Do you have to preheat it for a while or is it good to go after 5-10 mins like a cast iron griddle?

It is almost 40lbs of high carbon steel, so yeah it takes a while to heat up. I seasoned mine on my gas grill, which normally tops out at 550 degrees, and it took an hour or so to reach equilibrium.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
I'd also be interested in a group buy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

To join sauce chat, I use canned crushed tomatoes. Dump them into a mesh strainer and stir until a good amount of liquid had drained off and the thickness is where I want it. Then I add seasonings (oregano, crushed red pepper, S&P, basil) and microwave it for a couple minutes just to infuse the flavors throughout the sauce. I also sauce my pizzas very lightly. That seems to be where most people go wrong, they put way too much sauce on.

You'd be amazed how good pizza is without any sauce. My mother is allergic to tomatoes so that's how I got used to it. Cut through the illusion, admit you're eating fancy cheese on toast and learn to love the sauceless pizza.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I made a batch of those because I wanted one and figured while I was set up a few friends might want one at cost as well. I don't plan on doing another run because it's too time consuming to do unless I'm profiting, and I feel weird about that because I pretty obviously stole the idea from Baking Steel. They also weight over 36lbs which would probably make non-local sales prohibitively expensive due to shipping. That said if anyone has access to a Haas, I'm happy to send you the program.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I would gladly pay enough for it and ok if you profit from it, but I understand if you're not up for doing it again.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I would gladly pay enough for it and ok if you profit from it, but I understand if you're not up for doing it again.

I would also be interested if this happens again.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

You'd be amazed how good pizza is without any sauce. My mother is allergic to tomatoes so that's how I got used to it. Cut through the illusion, admit you're eating fancy cheese on toast and learn to love the sauceless pizza.

This sounds like a nightmare. For a lot of my favorite pizza places, the sauce is the best part.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
roasted or confit garlic blended/emulsifed with olive oil makes a really good base if you dont want red sauce

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
double decker pie

cheesy garlic bread pizza topped with a pepperoni pizza

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

blacquethoven posted:

double decker pie

cheesy garlic bread pizza topped with a pepperoni pizza

I feel like I should be disgusted by how much I want to eat that, but I still really want to eat that.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Bear with me, trial posting a pizza pic:

bartlebee fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 2, 2016

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
If that breaks tables or doesn't show up, somebody embarrass me and tell me what I did wrong with the tagging. I've never posted pics to GWS before, but I've got two years worth of pizzas I've never shared.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Add .jpg to the link

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks, Brother in Pizza.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

bartlebee posted:

If that breaks tables or doesn't show up, somebody embarrass me and tell me what I did wrong with the tagging. I've never posted pics to GWS before, but I've got two years worth of pizzas I've never shared.

use [timg] as opposed to [img]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thai pizza, used leftover peanut sauce and leftover pork satay meat. Kenji's NY dough. Fuckin awesome.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
tonights feature
roasted garlic emulsion, fresh mozz, spanish chorizo, sausage, spinach, manchego, chile infused honey

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How did you get your pizza so nicely shaped with the outer crust so consistent and well sized?

Mine tend to puff up and take up like a third of the drat slice

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
i just take my middle 3 fingers and make a well about 1/2 inch in from the outer crust all the way around, then put my palm in the middle of the dough with my fingers in the well and extend my fingers to stretch it out a bit more. sorry if thats a confusing explanation ill try to take a video tomorrow maybe. heres what they look like after being stretched though

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress that's so perfect looking!!!

!!!!!

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Goddamn it, my dough has never looked so perfectly formed. Still good eatin', though.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
well i didnt make a video but heres a crappy pictorial on starting a dough.
not pictured is the part where i actually stretch it, but you pretty much just put the crust over your knuckles on both hands and move your hands outward, then rotate the dough 1/3 of the way and repeat until you have a pizza

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

blacquethoven posted:

tonights feature
roasted garlic emulsion, fresh mozz, spanish chorizo, sausage, spinach, manchego, chile infused honey

gonna tell us how2make that bake? looks good

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Anyone want to help me reverse engineer this guy?

This is the local "best pizza in the world" joint around me (Suburb of Pittsburgh). It has been my favorite plain cheese pizza joint since I was a child except now I live an hour away and have been trying my hand at getting something close. The place is an old school Italian family run pizzeria. I hope this isn't too vague but I want to learn more about simplistic pizza making.

1) The sauce - This stuff is smooth as silk and pretty drat watery (but i actually like that kind of stuff). It may just be plum tomatoes and salt but if it is they have to be running it through a food mill or blending it for a week because there isn't a seed, speck of seasoning or square millimeter of skin to be found. Cretans have said it tastes like tomato soup.

2) The cheese - This is the big one for me, I know its mozzarella but I can't find anything close to it, its salty as all hell and puts down an Exxon Valdez level of oil but hot drat is it amazing.

3) The crust - I am pretty sure its just some family recipe Italian bread dough.

I found this picture on google but the next time I go i am going to take better pictures. The guys at this place know me by name and I should just ask them for bags of raw ingredients but I think they know they have something special and may not be keen on that idea.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

as bad as it is for #1 it may just be watered down paste with salt or crushed tomatoes with seasoning

2) Nothing special, garlic salt sprinkled on top (i swear thats the secret to my childhood fav pizza spot) but a good bit of it (cheese).

3) generic dough with EVOO i.e. kenji's NY dough.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Doesn't provolone get some use on pizza out that way?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Veritek83 posted:

Doesn't provolone get some use on pizza out that way?

That's Provel, and further west IIRC.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

toplitzin posted:

That's CENSORED, and further west IIRC.

We do not name that abomination here, from henceforth that is "The cheese like object that shall not be named".

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

blacquethoven posted:

well i didnt make a video but heres a crappy pictorial on starting a dough.
not pictured is the part where i actually stretch it, but you pretty much just put the crust over your knuckles on both hands and move your hands outward, then rotate the dough 1/3 of the way and repeat until you have a pizza

That looks like tons of flour, doesn't the bottom just get like covered in flour and then not crisp up or whatever?

Maybe I'll take a video of me trying to do a dough sometime and upload it and maybe someone can tell me how I'm loving up

I'm gonna try to do one today where I don't refrigerate it overnight, I know you're supposed to but I feel like letting it get that cold is a big part of why I can never get them to stretch properly or whatever

My problem is like I feel like whenever I eat pizza from restaurants the like inside of the dough always seems a lot like lighter and sort of softer than mine, but if I increase the hydration in mine it's too sticky to stretch without sticking to my hands or the counter or whatever without tons of flour and that creates its own problems

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 27, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm gonna try to do one today where I don't refrigerate it overnight, I know you're supposed to but I feel like letting it get that cold is a big part of why I can never get them to stretch properly or whatever

Refrigerate overnight, then take it out 30 minutes before you want to stretch it to let it warm up. It makes a huge difference in my experience, based on the times I forget to take it out of the fridge ahead of time.

Also, re: flour on the bottom: the superior anti-sticking agent is semolina flour, in my experience at least. I'm hardly an expert, but it works a drat sight better than normal flour or nothing at all.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I actually did one today where I didn't refrigerate at all (just let it rise for 2 hours, punched down, 1 more hour rise then use) and it was great and a lot easier to stretch although it stretched a little TOO much in the middle and I basically gave up and used a rolling pin again, but it came out great!

I think maybe I wasn't taking it out of the fridge early enough before. I usually take it out an hour or two before I want to use it but it's usually still cold for some reason, so maybe I need to take it out even earlier or something.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I actually did one today where I didn't refrigerate at all (just let it rise for 2 hours, punched down, 1 more hour rise then use) and it was great and a lot easier to stretch although it stretched a little TOO much in the middle and I basically gave up and used a rolling pin again, but it came out great!

I think maybe I wasn't taking it out of the fridge early enough before. I usually take it out an hour or two before I want to use it but it's usually still cold for some reason, so maybe I need to take it out even earlier or something.

Keeping it near the oven while it pre-heats helps. I usually get mine out of the fridge when I turn the oven on- preheat to 550 and then let it sit for an hour.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That's a good idea although I got one of those Sur La Table thingies so I don't really have to preheat much anymore, since it has heating elements on the top and bottom it gets pretty super hot in like 10 mins

Really happy with gettin that based on this thread's rec, it made a pizza today in like 3 mins compared to the 8-10 from my 500 degree oven

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

cr0y posted:

Anyone want to help me reverse engineer this guy?

This is the local "best pizza in the world" joint around me (Suburb of Pittsburgh)...

Looks like Fiori's.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Pizza in the desert!

Sourdough margherita with buffalo mozz. Had a small amount of toppings to try out - prosciutto, pancetta, sun-dried tomatoes (homemade by a friend), pesto, balsamic reduction glaze.
Cranked out about a dozen pizzas and the group went through a couple cases of beer and a half dozen bottles of wine.
Good party.

You better believe I wear the sunhat out there.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
:eyepop: That's some good looking pizza and looks like a good time

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That looks so good!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I think I've dialed in the broiler game with our electric oven. Salami, mushrooms, basil and green onion on a 5 cheese blend.