Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Kraken: King of Dinosaurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Maybe it was real. We'll see.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

JT Jag posted:

They put so much additives into things these days

Men like their Sugar white and Glass transparent

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

'Glass being orange as a natural state and only being transparent because of chemicals' is probably one of my favorite lines in this game bar none.

Basically like Crystal Pepsi back in the day.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
too tired to find and link it but the krakenasaurus dialog reminded me of a venture bros henchmen conversation, namely thr one about nessie vs oggopoggo

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Acne Rain posted:

too tired to find and link it but the krakenasaurus dialog reminded me of a venture bros henchmen conversation, namely thr one about nessie vs oggopoggo

I went to find it myself and wow this is incredible. :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Speedball posted:

"What the hell are you talking about? You're making him dumber!" Yeah, this is pretty amazing banter.

I think this DLC has the best banter in any of the games so far.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
I can confirm that the line launcher segment is not possible without the line launcher. It certainly looks like you can make the jump without it, and I tried for a good half hour, but it's just not possible. It's fairly irritating that they put that gadget in the game, use it so rarely, and don't do a great job of always making it clear when it is needed.

I will echo the comments though that this DLC is a real high point of the whole game.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Get her outta here!
____________________\
Police commissioner :smugdon:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Speedball posted:

Harley looks a lot classier in her, er, classic outfit.

Skin tight vinyl: totally classy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They're both horrible, honestly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I appreciate the look of it, but it would've been better and probably less sexualized in cloth, yeah.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But then it wouldn't have looked ~next gen~

Last gen was brown and bloom, this gen is shiny and wet.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I appreciate the look of it, but it would've been better and probably less sexualized in cloth, yeah.

Reminds me of the pointers for Batgirl's costume redesign:

NOT SPANDEX.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
One day, designers will learn that badassery >>> sex.
But it is not this day.

For now, we only have some outliers.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair about Harley she would absolutely choose to wear sexualised or just plain sexy clothes because she wants the Joker to find her sexy. Doesn't excuse the other characters but Harley wearing intentionally sexy/form-fitting clothing makes sense.

I haven't seen that batgirl redesign before and it's really good. It's the costume used in the Current comics right?

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair about Harley she would absolutely choose to wear sexualised or just plain sexy clothes because she wants the Joker to find her sexy. Doesn't excuse the other characters but Harley wearing intentionally sexy/form-fitting clothing makes sense.

I haven't seen that batgirl redesign before and it's really good. It's the costume used in the Current comics right?

Eh, that logic doesn't really hold up because she's perfectly okay with the 'less sexy' spandex original in BTAS, and honestly the shiny suit in Arkham Knight looks plain weird. We're getting better at rendering shiny things, but we're not there yet, so personally I think it hits the Uncanny Valley pretty hard. Part of that may be that the Arkham series has a bad habit of over-detailing costumes that are designed to be very simple for cartoon rendering. The Batman Beyond costume is the headliner for that, but it's pretty clear for Harley's jester outfit too.

Still, way better than some of her previous costumes in this series.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Edmond Dantes posted:

NOT SPANDEX.
The pants are still spandex. Baby steps, I guess.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Anime Reference posted:

At least (in that particular design sheet) you can't see the individual buttcheeks in the back view. But yeah, baby steps.

I actually really like Batgirl's look in this game, but the high heels are just dumb.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Anime Reference posted:

I think they're supposed to be leather but yeah. Same difference, really.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

KozmoNaut posted:

Skin tight vinyl: totally classy.

Comparatively classy. Kind of like tuxedo t-shirt vs sweat stained wife beater. No one would ever say the former is "classy", but compared to the latter?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Trogdos! posted:

Get her outta here!
____________________\
Police commissioner :smugdon:

That's one hell of a new emote. :dogbutton:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Reminds me of the pointers for Batgirl's costume redesign:

I can commend them on that, but that mask shows off WAY too much of her face.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is the universe where a pair of glasses is an impenetrable disguise. A lot of suspension of disbelief is already needed to ignore that by all rights the police/FBI/CIA/letter soup agency of your choice should find the identity of any given vigilante within an year.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Omobono posted:

This is the universe where a pair of glasses is an impenetrable disguise.

Touché.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Omobono posted:

This is the universe where a pair of glasses is an impenetrable disguise. A lot of suspension of disbelief is already needed to ignore that by all rights the police/FBI/CIA/letter soup agency of your choice should find the identity of any given vigilante within an year.
don't forget the teeny masks all the Robins tend to wear

Edit:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Omobono posted:

I remember the original Flash TV series where a reporter came within a hair's breadth of discovering his true identity simply by deducing that the Flash had to have some kind of emergency services/law enforcement background due to a number of things he had done and simply made a list of every cop/paramedic/etc male of the right age and build and then stalking them and checking them off one at a time when she was sure they weren't the Flash.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"Barbara, I'm your father. You think I wouldn't recognize you just because I can't see your unibrow?"

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of masks, I really love Batwoman's, it looks like a cross between Batman's and Wolverine's:

I love her whole design actually, but that may be because she looks like a Batman Beyond femme fatale. Which I'm completely ok with.

Rocksteady make Arkham Beyond already. :argh:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

RocksteadyPlatinum make Arkham Beyond already. :argh:

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of masks, I really love Batwoman's, it looks like a cross between Batman's and Wolverine's:

I love her whole design actually, but that may be because she looks like a Batman Beyond femme fatale. Which I'm completely ok with.

Rocksteady make Arkham Beyond already. :argh:

The mask is pretty cool but I cannot work out how it works with all that hair.

Does the mask have a wig? Is it open at the top between the ears and she carefully teases her hair through the hole when she puts it on?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

GirlCalledBob posted:

The mask is pretty cool but I cannot work out how it works with all that hair.

Does the mask have a wig? Is it open at the top between the ears and she carefully teases her hair through the hole when she puts it on?

It is a wig, actually; Kane has short-ish hair:

How the mask stays on depends on the artist, some draw it like Robin's/Nightwing's only with the long ears, and some as a (half?) helmet:

Captain Swiss
Jul 9, 2008

This thread needs to be about twenty percent cooler.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Except Harley isnt a real person. She isnt choosing to wear anything. Its all at the whim of the writer.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Captain Swiss posted:

Except Harley isnt a real person. She isnt choosing to wear anything. Its all at the whim of the writer modeler.

FTFY.

And then there's the whole question of how free you can be with established costume designs (though if you really wanted someone to be mad at you could still then draw the line back to the original comic artists, I guess). Was Arkham City Harley's outfit a new thing they made up for the game, or did that get pulled from somewhere too? If the former, it would provide precedent for the "you can always choose to make something else" argument.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Felinoid posted:

FTFY.

And then there's the whole question of how free you can be with established costume designs (though if you really wanted someone to be mad at you could still then draw the line back to the original comic artists, I guess). Was Arkham City Harley's outfit a new thing they made up for the game, or did that get pulled from somewhere too? If the former, it would provide precedent for the "you can always choose to make something else" argument.

Let's not have the Quiet argument all over again

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I have to wonder if an episodic Batman Arkham game could, or could have, worked. Rather than the huge campaign, make a season's worth of distinct episodes, each one of which gives you a specific area to run around in and has the kind of focus that this DLC and Cold Cold Heart did.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

IMJack posted:

I have to wonder if an episodic Batman Arkham game could, or could have, worked. Rather than the huge campaign, make a season's worth of distinct episodes, each one of which gives you a specific area to run around in and has the kind of focus that this DLC and Cold Cold Heart did.

Yeah, we were talking about that a few pages ago. IMO it's a good idea; you get a tighter focus, you can do more gimmicks, and the piles of collectibles get a lot smaller.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
And less plot creep and villain scheme escalation. If every game is Batman's Worst Night, then the writers have to go further and further to make it even worse and more complicated than the last game was.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Waffleman_ posted:

But then it wouldn't have looked ~next gen~

Last gen was brown and bloom, this gen is shiny and wet.

I have to say that on the whole, I really like the graphics in this game. The camera effects with lighting etc. look really good, as does Batman's cape when you're gliding around Gotham.

It may just be this gen's gimmick, but they've done a great job making the rain effects etc. look realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh yeah, the game looks amazing. I'm always a bit floored when Batman glides and you see his wet cape rustle in the wind.

• Locked thread