Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nm posted:

That's how you are supposed to use bike lanes though.
You are supposed to merge into a bike lane before making the turn. This elimnates the right hook issue.

https://www.sfbike.org/news/bike-lanes-and-right-turns/

Please do this. If the woman who hit me had done this, it would have saved me months of physical therapy.

In Australia you can drive for up to 50m in a bike lane if you're turning.

It works great because, unless there are bikes in the lane, it gets slow moving cars out of the flow of traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah, moving right so not-turning cars can pass you is a totally acceptable use of a bike lane.

PARKING in the loving thing should be handled by summary executions. Not only are they blocking the entire bike lane but usually a big chunk of the regular lane too since bike lanes are almost always whatever piddly 18 inches of asphalt was left over when they blocked out whatever other lanes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

Yeah, moving right so not-turning cars can pass you is a totally acceptable use of a bike lane.

PARKING in the loving thing should be handled by summary executions. Not only are they blocking the entire bike lane but usually a big chunk of the regular lane too since bike lanes are almost always whatever piddly 18 inches of asphalt was left over when they blocked out whatever other lanes.

So should putting garbage cans in the bike lane. I'm gonna start emptying them on people's front stoops.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There's a school here that loves dropping those stupid neon running child signs across the lanes. Those I kick over whenever possible.

Really, whoever decided to put the middle school and its cafeteria on opposite sides of an arterial road should be euthanized.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
We expect your cars to stop on a dime and not make a noise when one of our mass produced iPad-raised children blindly dashes across the road from behind a bush-signs

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Javid posted:

There's a school here that loves dropping those stupid neon running child signs across the lanes. Those I kick over whenever possible.
They have concrete bollards shaped and painted to look like children outside some schools around here. They're a bit creepy.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

That is loving weird. What happened to just having flashing lights attached to signs?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sleepy.eyes posted:

That is loving weird. What happened to just having flashing lights attached to signs?

Some 75 year old fucker was probably worried about the small town aesthetic of his childhood home and got all his fellow geriatrics to storm city hall and put an end to uglying up the city with more lights.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Some 75 year old fucker was probably worried about the small town aesthetic of his childhood home and got all his fellow geriatrics to storm city hall and put an end to uglying up the city with more lights.

Give teenagers access to 1) a car and 2) baseball/cricket bats and watch the problem solve itself!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

Nah, they think it'll make people realise it's specifically a school area, plus the at a glance "is that a kid about to run into the road?" factor.

Ripoff posted:

Give teenagers access to 1) a car and 2) baseball/cricket bats and watch the problem solve itself!
They're pretty solid. You can probably uproot one that hasn't been set in very well, but anything you hit them with has a decent chance of coming off worse.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

InitialDave posted:

They have concrete bollards shaped and painted to look like children outside some schools around here. They're a bit creepy.

Someone needs to put a hat ad sunglasses on that kid.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

sleepy.eyes posted:

They should have integrated the two. Flashing lights for eyes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jeherrin posted:

They should have integrated the two. Flashing lights for eyes.
Yeah, because having grown up on Doctor Who, I really want them seeming more like some kind of new model of Auton.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Yay, I got to have my first motorcycle accident when a truck cut across multiple lanes to make a right into a shopping center right in front of me.

"Sorry man, I didn't even see you!" i swear, I thought it was a joke, but he actually loving said that.

I'm absolutely fine (atgatt baby) but the bike needed a tow.

If you're going to make douchey traffic moves, please look first.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had a woman come to a complete stop behind me when I was on my bike, then accelerate right into me. Her excuse was "I thought you went." I was right in front of her!

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Uthor posted:

I had a woman come to a complete stop behind me when I was on my bike, then accelerate right into me. Her excuse was "I thought you went." I was right in front of her!

I've been rear-ended in my car twice while at complete stops (with brake-lights engaged). Apparently rear-ending is a common accident here. I've seen it happen to others several times. Apparently people here just hit the gas pedal and go when they want to with no heed paid to anything actually being in their way or not, including other cars. And the stuff they do around motorcycles here scares the poo poo out of me.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You haven't lived until you've had to pick your dad up at the ER multiple times from old women rear ending him in one of his old POS Chevys.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of people you share the road with..

Get ready for some heart racing, cringeworthy driving, that looks like something out of a modern day version of the movie Bullitt (1968).. with sirens.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a9e_1459608103

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

nitrogen posted:

Yay, I got to have my first motorcycle accident when a truck cut across multiple lanes to make a right into a shopping center right in front of me.

"Sorry man, I didn't even see you!" i swear, I thought it was a joke, but he actually loving said that.

I'm absolutely fine (atgatt baby) but the bike needed a tow.

If you're going to make douchey traffic moves, please look first.

This is what the woman who hit me on my bike in a bike lane said. Who would have thought a bike in a bike lane? What's next?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

B4Ctom1 posted:

Get ready for some heart racing, cringeworthy driving, that looks like something out of a modern day version of the movie Bullitt (1968).. with sirens.
What's protocol on something like that? I guess the government pays out on a claim for that? Was she doing anything objectively wrong? I don't really know much about collisions with emergency vehicles.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

um excuse me posted:

What's protocol on something like that? I guess the government pays out on a claim for that? Was she doing anything objectively wrong? I don't really know much about collisions with emergency vehicles.

For civil liability, it is basically treated as if they didn't have lights and sirens. Dude was going too fast for conditions and he will share some, if not most of the fault.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nitrogen posted:

Why do you think that SMIDSY has become a loving verb (As in "I got SMIDSY'd", "Some SMIDSYing oval office") in UK biker circles?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have a hard time believing that call was that important to drive that far and fast. There's a station like 5 blocks from the incident.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

For civil liability, it is basically treated as if they didn't have lights and sirens. Dude was going too fast for conditions and he will share some, if not most of the fault.

I have seen the opposite. Ticketing or even arresting the person they hit, even while they are in the hospital for everything from failure to yield to emergency vehicles to interfering with a peace officer in the performance of duties.

It is all hyperbolic of course, but they use it like coupons for "25% off" during the responsibility phase of a civil trial where they million dollar settlement suddenly becomes 750,000.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

B4Ctom1 posted:

I have seen the opposite. Ticketing or even arresting the person they hit, even while they are in the hospital for everything from failure to yield to emergency vehicles to interfering with a peace officer in the performance of duties.

It is all hyperbolic of course, but they use it like coupons for "25% off" during the responsibility phase of a civil trial where they million dollar settlement suddenly becomes 750,000.

They can do all the poo poo they want, but civil court doesn't really care if they hire a decent attorney.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
What's the deal with the "right turn" she made through the gas station on the left? I can't imagine that saved any time versus staying on the road, plus adding a whole bunch more obstacles while tearing through there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

B4Ctom1 posted:

quote:

Tags: dashcam, seattle police, collision, crash, cops, female driver

Liveleak :sigh:

Procedure here is that the emergency vehicle has full responsibility, as it is disrupting normal traffic flow.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 3, 2016

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

B4Ctom1 posted:

That's some lovely driving, even by American police dashcam standards. So fast and what's up with the unnessecary jerky movements? But what's almost worse is how drat clueless people are. They hardly notice even with the sires blaring 5m behind them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

That's some lovely driving, even by American police dashcam standards. So fast and what's up with the unnessecary jerky movements? But what's almost worse is how drat clueless people are. They hardly notice even with the sires blaring 5m behind them.

On the way to the airport nobody moved out of the way of two ambulances going full tilt. Cars in all 3 lanes and they had to make a right turn from the middle lane and almost got t boned because the guy in the right lane didn't stop until the last second, despite the ambulances passing him prior.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM75ulDRkhI

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
americans dont give a gently caress about emergency vehicles unless they are in the way or they can slipstream in their wake. I am indeed a huge prick. apparently.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SneakyFrog posted:

americans dont give a gently caress about emergency vehicles unless they are in the way or they can slipstream in their wake. I am indeed a huge prick. apparently.

I saw a car with its hazard lights on yesterday slipstreaming an ambulance through traffic. I can hardly think of a bigger dick move, honestly.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

KozmoNaut posted:

I saw a car with its hazard lights on yesterday slipstreaming an ambulance through traffic. I can hardly think of a bigger dick move, honestly.

Might not have been a dick move. Friend of mine was driving when his wife called to say their house was ablaze. He put his hazards on and was speeding (this was a rural area so I don't blame him). Cop pulled him over, buddy explained, cop confirmed and had my friend follow him to the house.

So maybe the car with the hazards was with whomever was in the back of the ambulance. Or just a dick.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PenisMonkey posted:

Might not have been a dick move. Friend of mine was driving when his wife called to say their house was ablaze. He put his hazards on and was speeding (this was a rural area so I don't blame him). Cop pulled him over, buddy explained, cop confirmed and had my friend follow him to the house.

So maybe the car with the hazards was with whomever was in the back of the ambulance. Or just a dick.

Doesn't work that way here, it's never legal. Not even for the family of an expectant mother or something. Proper emergency vehicles only*.

Also, I saw the same car sitting at a red light 2 minutes later, with the ambulance nowhere to be seen.

E: *Actually that's not strictly true. You can do an emergency transport using a civilian vehicle, in the case of things like severely injured persons or women in labor, where an ambulance would take too long to respond, and only if it's a life or death situation.

You have to call and advise the police before setting off or immediately after getting to the hospital, you must affix a white cloth of some kind as high up on your vehicle as possible, and you should drive with your hazards on. This does allow you to break the speed limit, but you still have to take other traffic into account. I have never actually seen anyone do this in real life, it's extremely rare.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 3, 2016

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Well this was east Texas about 16 years ago. Cop told him to follow him so maybe it was legal but we all know how much of the law cops know.

But yeah, dick.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

PenisMonkey posted:

Yea, I thought someone closely following an ambulance with hazards on was indeed following it to the hospital. I thought that was an actual thing, like maybe not a written traffic law, but commonly known. Have I been bamboozled into sympathetic feelings all these years by traffic dicks? :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Karma Monkey posted:

Yea, I thought someone closely following an ambulance with hazards on was indeed following it to the hospital. I thought that was an actual thing, like maybe not a written traffic law, but commonly known. Have I been bamboozled into sympathetic feelings all these years by traffic dicks? :(

Yeah, pretty much. EMTs hate it.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-advisable-or-legal-to-go-behind-an-Ambulance-during-Traffic
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1518793

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If somebody I love is injured enough to need to be riding in an ambulance with its lights on, I don't give a gently caress about traffic laws and I'm following it right to the hospital.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
DON'T FOLLOW THE loving AMBULANCE.

We have had fire captains stop, get out, and yell at the driver of a car that was following us. I don't care if you're the husband and we have your dying wife, you DON'T loving FOLLOW.

We will meet you at the hospital later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geirskogul posted:

DON'T FOLLOW THE loving AMBULANCE.

We have had fire captains stop, get out, and yell at the driver of a car that was following us. I don't care if you're the husband and we have your dying wife, you DON'T loving FOLLOW.

We will meet you at the hospital later.

Actually if my wife is dying in your ambulance, and I'm not in it with her, I'll probably be beating you there, breaking every traffic law, and a bunch they didn't even think of.