Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
This set feels like battle as far as sealed goes. Probably a lot better in draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sickening posted:

This set feels like battle as far as sealed goes. Probably a lot better in draft.
Yep. I mean it felt a little better than battle to me. But it should be way more interesting in draft where you can influence your synergies instead of ending up with a weird mishmash of delirium cards that never turn on and madness cards you frown at in your pool.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Best thing I pulled were two of the new RB land. Was able to go 1-3 on the strength of Clues.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Yep. I mean it felt a little better than battle to me. But it should be way more interesting in draft where you can influence your synergies instead of ending up with a weird mishmash of delirium cards that never turn on and madness cards you frown at in your pool.

This is making me feel less bad about missing the prerelease today cause of an interview.

Think it would be better tomorrow, with the larger pool?

Handshake Drugs
Oct 21, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

My sealed pool was very much this. Ended up going 1-2-1 with a janky jund deck. One person had a sweet deck that blew me out by playing Devil's Playground, next turn play Westvale Abbey and transform it, swing for 9. They also had Arlinn and Olivia and a bunch of others fliers too.

Also, someone a couple tables down from me opened their prerelease packs and only two of them had rares. The store owners ended up taking all those cards and replacing it with a new prerelease kit. Very strange.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
3-1 at prerelease with this. I got some great pulls and had enough removal, fliers, and zombie synergy to get there. Biting Rain was great, I used it in multiple games and got 2-3-4 for 1's. My best game was my opponent had me enchanted with that curse that you get when you flip the 4/2 witch, so I'd lose 1 he'd gain one on my upkeep. I was at 14, he play Triskadephaphobia. It was going to kill me, but I had Westvale Abbey so I responded to the trigger to go to 12 life. I ended up flipping the Abbey at 5 life and came back from there. That card is awesome. Also the Geralf's Masterpiece is a huge bomb. One other fun interaction is the blue dude that gives you an extra clue when you investigate the 1st time in a turn. I ended up with a game that I drew 8 extra cards from clues.

2 Crow of Dark Tidings
1 Biting Rain
2 Muderous Compulsion
1 Rancid Rats
1 Rottenheart Ghoul
1 Relentless Dead (pack foil)
1 Stallion of Ashmouth
1 Dead Weight
1 To the Slaughter
1 Geralf's Masterpiece (pre-release foil)
1 Drownyard Explorers
1 Furtive Homunculus
1 Stitched Mangler
1 Gone Missing
1 Drunau Corpse Trawler
1 Compelling Deterrence
1 Erdwal Iluminator
1 Univited Geist
1 Press For Answers
1 Forgotten Creation
1 Aberrant Researcher
1 Westvale Abbey
8 Swamp
8 Island

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 2, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Handshake Drugs posted:

My sealed pool was very much this. Ended up going 1-2-1 with a janky jund deck. One person had a sweet deck that blew me out by playing Devil's Playground, next turn play Westvale Abbey and transform it, swing for 9. They also had Arlinn and Olivia and a bunch of others fliers too.

Also, someone a couple tables down from me opened their prerelease packs and only two of them had rares. The store owners ended up taking all those cards and replacing it with a new prerelease kit. Very strange.

Wierd stuff sometimes happens with product. At least you know your store will probably replace poo poo like that.

A guy at my store opened his kit to find 2 Promos inside. :toot:

I got Promo Epiphany at the Drownyard, Cryptolith Rites, Tangible Virtue (whose actual name I will never remember), and a Jace in my pool.

Built a meh U/B control deck and dropped the first round because of it. Went back to the pool and realized my R/W was insane aggro stuff. Got blown out by a better R/W Aggro deck though. :sigh:

Meanwhile my brother was durdling around with :frog: and loving it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

won a game off a mull to 4 thanks avacyn

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Tireless tracker is pretty insane in sealed.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
3-0-1'd to 1st place out of 18 at midnight, won with W/B Accursed Witch 2 Ever After's 1 anguished unmaking and a couple other removal spells.

no planeswalkers or legendary creatures in either my pool or 6 prize packs :(

Getting up in 4.5 hours to get ready for Saturday Noon prerelease, looking to keep the train going!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Didn't drop a game or even come close at my prerelease. I don't feel like I learned a lot as nahiri, abbey, odric, the 4/4 angel that pings, a grip of removal, and mvp slayer's plate tore through everything.

One of the dumbest sealed pools I've ever had. Never got to live the odric abbey dream though.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Currently 2-1 going into final round. All of my opponents so far have been playing 2color decks with 5 on-color rares.

I have two confirm suspicions (1 promo, 1 regular)
:(

Edit: 3-1

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 2, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
1-0 drpo because its loving 3 am (gave the dude the win, but I did kill him with both Ormendahl and Mindwrack Demon + Gitrog Toad)

I did get a promo Westvale and a regular Westvale so there's that :dance:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Woo, Avacyn was my promo. Makes up for the rest of my packs being mediocre even if they were cards I wanted.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Will this be worth including in most 2 color decks? In a Delirium-heavy deck probably, but otherwise I'm not convinced. Whereas I would always play Evolving Wilds regardless of set.

e:obviously, talking about limited

If you don't care about delirium, no way. You don't want to be taking turn 3 off just to be able to cast the spells in your hand.

I don't even think you play it when you're splashing if you don't want delirium. Just play a basic of your splash color and save yourself three mana.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
0-1 drop and went to sleep. Feeling pretty good about that choice. I'm old.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

A guy at my store opened his kit to find 2 Promos inside. :toot:

My little packet had two promos in it and I immediately clarified it with the guy in charge, and made a point of stating I had two stamped cards in the deck before every match and I felt like everyone still thought I was somehow cheating but I really needed both because they were both good and extremely usable and my overall pool was hot garbage. :(

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

mcmagic posted:

0-1 drop and went to sleep. Feeling pretty good about that choice. I'm old.

I love limited, I love prereleases, but I just don't think I'd want to do a midnight prel.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I thought the prerelease was a ton of fun. My two buddies and I took the top 3, I didn't see their decks but I opened Avacyn, Devil's Playground, two Drogskol Cavalry (one was my promo), and a Sin Prodder. I'm not sure I've ever had that many on-color rares before. My best play came when a dude tried to play Clip Wings against my board of Avacyn, Moorland Drifter (3/4 to Delirium) and Mad Prophet. I popped a clue token, drew a land, discarded to Mad Prophet, turned on Delirium, and then flipped Avacyn because of the Drifter dying. Really fun set. :feelsgood:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I have never done a midnight prerelease because I feel like I wouldn't make it past 3AM.

It's fine, I'm going to one in a few hours anyway.

So, did nothing come of that "Echoes Of Innistrad" thing now that the set is being opened?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 2, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I think that was entirely snide rumours and wishful thinking

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Basically as soon as I said I'd sell the land packs, I turned into a lawn sprinkler at both ends, so I'm taking that as a sign and not selling them. Nothing personal, guys.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've read up on the cards, Paulo's read on the format etc. What's the gist of the first-hand experience/pointers going on?

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
With a RW deck I went 3-0 (shop just gave +1 pack for undefeated) against clunky, durdly decks with higher powered rares than mine. I was lucky the players weren't so good and had mediocre cards in their deck like the red vessel. I even managed to beat someone with two startled awake :wtc:.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I opened 2 brain in a jar and a second harvest. :bravo:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I played all the way 'til freaking five A.M. It was fun, but I didn't do very well. Played green/red Werewolves because I got the rare one that lets you bring in your others flipped. My promo was Sin Prodder, and I wanted to play him, too. My first match was blue black control and the guy was pretty drunk. We had a great time and I won both games no problem because I got one of my werewolves up to 8/6 with the heirloom flip artifact and the censer. He was 8/6 first strike vigilance :getin:. He even tried tapping me down with sleep paralysis and attacking, but I aim high'd him and that was that. Next round was black red aggro insanity and he got the angel that deals damage to the opponent when it is dealt damage. That thing is a blowout. He raced me and got it both games. I was pretty damned tired at that point.

Last game was against green black gitrog frog bro with the enchantment that lets you tap dudes for mana and the werewolf builder guy that lets you get back lands. Another insane synergy there. It will eat all of your land but who loving cares because you have like 8 dudes on the board in no time and it's ridiculous. First game he wrecked me. Second game, I came out strong and whittled him down. I was at 20 and he was at 1 but he didn't scoop. I kept trying to get through but he had the black enchantment that lets you pay 1 and discard a card to make a 1/1 lifelink guy and I just couldn't get goddamn through. He kept chumping and gaining life and I couldn't get enough guys out. Eventually he brought out the toad and got me on turns. It was pretty fuckin' crushing to lose when I was at 20 and he was at 1, but those are the breaks.

The prize support was great. They gave away binders, some older event decks (I got the Theros one), deck boxes and sleeves, and a ton of Force of Will (the anime card game, not the magic card) starter sets and other poo poo for it. It was a great time with good people and I can't wait for the Eldritch Moon one there.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

My report that no one wants to read but I'll still post it: opened Avacyn, promo Avacyn, and Nahiri, pretty hard to lose with that. went UWR and got 5-1, we split the top 8 and ate pizza yayy

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've read up on the cards, Paulo's read on the format etc. What's the gist of the first-hand experience/pointers going on?

Are you at wizards chest?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Equipment is very, very, very good. I ran Shard of Broken Glass, True-Faith Censer and Neglected Heirloom and never regretted any of them. The creature power/toughness curve is very flat and anything that pushes you above that curve lets you dominate. I was in WG Humans which is one of the best archetypes for this, but I had two Militant Inquisitors and they were all-stars. Neglected Heirloom is one of the most insane cards you can have if you can flip it early; my last game of the night I went T1 Heirloom, T2 Hinterland Logger, T3 equip it and pass with Strength of Arms up and that was all she wrote. A 7/5 Trample First Striker swinging on turn 4 is not really beatable.

True-Faith Censer lets your mans dodge Kibler's Compulsion which is a premium removal piece. If you have a 3 toughness human wearing it suddenly the only pieces of common removal that trade one for one with it are bad cards like Throttle and that red one.

Delirium is very, very hard to get unless you deliberately include stuff to trigger it like Vessels and Apparatus. My only sop to it was Shard, and I only achieved it at a time when that was meaningful once, but it won me the game by letting my Reaper grow for lethal.

I ran this:
Hinterland Logger
Neglected Heirloom
Shard of Broken Glass
2x Militant Inquisitor
Strength of Arms
Apothecary Geist
Puncturing Light
Intrepid Provisioner (this is one of the best green commons)
Stoic Builder
Archangel Avacyn (again, not even remotely a real card)
Topplegeist
Emissary of the Sleepless
True-Faith Censer
2x Rabid Bite
Byway Courier
Reaper of Flight Moonsilver
Dauntless Cathar
Cult of the Waxing Moon
Moorland Drifter
Duskwatch Recruiter
Nearheath Chaplain
Westvale Abbey (my promo)
8x Plains
8x Forest

5-0'd, only dropping ~3 games all night.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Went 2-0 and split winnings with my friend (who had also gone 2-0); pulled a Westvale Abbey, Under the Floorboards, and Flameblade Angel in my packs along with Avacyn as my promo along with some sac outlets and Madness enablers in Mardu, so I rolled with three colors. Felt good to have multiple bombs after so many prereleases where I'd have to MacGuyver my way to victory.

Awesome plays:

-Dropping Avacyn and my opponent using up a ton of resources to kill it, only for me to follow it up with Flameblade Angel and he scooped; Avacyn was a great baiter as she often freaked people out into killing her right away, even if it cost them multiple cards. I never did get to transform her, however... :smith:

-Casting Under the Floorboards Madness for 4 with the hasty red guy that discards to draw cards; too bad I almost always forgot to draw my card afterwards. :sweatdrop:

-Transformed Westvale Abbey with a transformed Pious Evangel out. :getin:

Won 5 packs for my trouble and pulled a Declaration in Stone and second copy of Westvale Abbey, among with some other cards. Once I saw the promo Avacyn I was already satisfied with my prerelease, but I got a few cherries on top to go with it.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 2, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bonus posted:

My report that no one wants to read but I'll still post it: opened Avacyn, promo Avacyn, and Nahiri, pretty hard to lose with that. went UWR and got 5-1, we split the top 8 and ate pizza yayy

Six rounds top eight at midnight?

I went 3-0-1, splitting that last round to get ten packs each. My deck was WG Humans, and Tireless Tracker was my MVP. I also had the clue mole and a lot of clue synergy. I'm also finding it hard to imagine picking almost anything over the new Prison Term, that card was insane. Messed up my opponents' combat math, and I could play it early and get value out of it later.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

black potus posted:

Are you at wizards chest?

Yoooo. Fat beardo. Oh wait that eliminates like two people. Hoodie. Black t shirt of the band Sleep.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yoooo. Fat beardo. Oh wait that eliminates like two people. Hoodie. Black t shirt of the band Sleep.

Only person of color!

(This might not be true but as far as I can see)

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Def the only beardy Indian dude though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

:wtc:

Getting 8 people for a top 8 must have been a miracle.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Welp, let's see if I can fit this pre-release in before work.

Also, anything I need to know about these prerelease before I get my poo poo kicked in? Other than three rounds in sealed format.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
This was actually a hosed up pool

The deck was kinda jank bc my creature pool wasn't great. I probably would have made T8 based on most games going long enuogh to pull at least 2 rly hosed up cards, but instead

BJPaskoff posted:

also the olivia was foil

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hell yeah, one of my prize packs had Jace in the rare slot, and Arlinn Kord in the flip card slot.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Went 1-3 out of 11 people at my prerelease, with an utterly mediocre black-red aggro deck. Had a lot of fun though - the cards are sweet, the decks are sweet, everything is so goddamn sweet! I generally detest Sealed, since it's just such a lovely and random format, but this was just tons of fun. Can't wait to draft this!

Sadly, the only thing worth any money I opened was Sin Prodder and a promo G/R dual land - there goes my dream of opening some overpriced standard nonsense and then immediately trading it for any sweet (read - not standard) cards. Well, them's the breaks I guess.

Overall impression from the prerelease was that everyone had fun, even people with lovely decks. It just felt good to play the format, which is not something I can say for a lot of the previous prereleases that I've been at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I got to lose round one to a friend with Avacyn, Arlinn Kord, Sin Prodder, Goldnight Castigator, Tireless Tracker, Always Watching, removal, etc. so I thought my deck was really lovely but then I won all my other rounds, it just turns out Avacyn is a bullshit card and probably the best overall card in the entire set. I got to play against another one in round 4 but I I lived the dream and stole it with a madnessed Welcome to the Fold. I did not get to use it as my opponent scooped.

My deck was pretty decent, had 4 Insolent Neonates to go with Slayer's Plate, Jace, Welcome to the Fold, and Flameblade Angel. I opened a Nephalia Drakes and didn't play it because it was too slow, even discarding and activating it seemed bad. The 1/1 Menace was amazing, always wanted to see one on turns 1-3, it was great with Madness cards, hilariously good with Slayer's Plate, and comboes with Flameblade Angel (if they double block it they take 2 damage). Mad Prophet was MVP, it's text says "cast a card with Madness from your hand: Draw a card." Geistblast was decent, there are a lot of targets and I got to double up on a madness Just the Wind. Even the madness Enchantment that gives +2/+2 was pretty good, literally anything with Madness is good if you have rummaging/looting effects.

• Locked thread