Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wow, that Bronco is incredible. More pictures, please!

There's a ton I have in a million different folders, but quick highlights:

When he first bought it - paint was still pretty good but it had some Texas rust. The red Bronco was his first, and I grew up wheeling and camping in it (all over death valley/the sierras/illegal roads into military bases). I almost lost an eye when we hit a hidden rut when I was about 5; took me many years to feel comfortable on a dirt road again and even more to start offroading myself:

Stripped down:

Engine pulled out for rebuild:

Fresh outta Compton the shop:

With his matched-trim Teardrop trailer:

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How does that crazy rear end tilted brake booster work?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

That thing is absolutely beautiful!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I suspect my midlife crisis will end up looking a lot like that. Beautiful ride.

I particularly like the black rack, think it provides excellent contrast.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Enourmo posted:

mine doesn't even have redtext like come on anonymous benefactor

where's your A game?

I think goons are too picky about the red text... For me the chuckle all comes down to creativity. I didn't buy yours, but I chucked :)

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I am not sure I have the words to really convey everything that is happening, nor is it my place to since I am merely the messenger. Submitted without comment...for now.

Our hero is now resting. His true test begins tomorrow.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 2, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator posted:

That is one beautiful Bronco.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

With his matched-trim Teardrop trailer:

Awesome Bronco! A friend of mine had one exactly like that but maybe a different hue of green and no trailer/cargo rack on top. We took that thing absolute everywhere on road and off. Good times, thanks for the trip down memory lane. :allears:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
This morning, the adventure continues!

Our hero receives a lesson in blowing trannies, parts hoarding and automotive divinity (the point at which the horizon becomes one with your immediate surrounding, or excessively speeding and not being aware of it).

Edit: One more snagged from an alternate source. I don't think you guys realize just how amazing this thing is...

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 2, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Friggin rain. Can't clean the car or the yard. Might as well clean the house.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's not often you have your decisions confirmed.

"In a few years we'll replace the Mazda with a model 3."

She gave me a pensive look.

"Don't they have automatic transmissions since they're electric?"

"They don't really have a transmission."

"Oh." She was clearly disappointed.

"We can take turns driving +future manual wagon project+"

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

It's not a true Subaru until it has an equality sticker. You done good. :perfect:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ssjonizuka posted:

This morning, the adventure continues!

He has not blown a transmission as of a few minutes ago in the Detroit area. Carry on, sweet gorester. :allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

keykey posted:

It's not a true Subaru until it has an equality sticker. You done good. :perfect:

I have a stack of those stickers if he needs more. :v:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

some texas redneck posted:

Wrap on the cheap?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think I saw a unicorn yesterday. At first I thought someone had thrown new emblems on it after an accident, but Google tells me this thing is real.

A VW V10 TDI.

After seeing an engine bay shot, I'm pretty sure I'd never want to own one after the warranty ran out. But a SUV that runs low 15s while burning waste product? :stare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I think I saw a unicorn yesterday. At first I thought someone had thrown new emblems on it after an accident, but Google tells me this thing is real.

A VW V10 TDI.

After seeing an engine bay shot, I'm pretty sure I'd never want to own one after the warranty ran out. But a SUV that runs low 15s while burning waste product? :stare:

Yes, its a real thing. Likely a Toureg, and only available from 2006-2007.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Do you have flannel to go with that? :haw:

A VW V10 TDI.

Time to get yo rocks off: https://youtu.be/WmM-635RR6o

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 2, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Whatever they're putting on the undertrays of F1 cars to make spark showers look ridiculous and would only impress a six-year-old. Christ FIA is lost.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

A VW V10 TDI.

One of my friends has one and it is amazing. The torque is brutal and unrelenting. It has adjustable ride height and hi/lo range. Sweet truck but its also a VW with literally 36 computers in it so theyre better when other people own them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A 2010 GMC work van has 12 computers in it, according to that famous Imgur post where one got hit by lightning and the mechanic went through and replaced them one by one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

Whatever they're putting on the undertrays of F1 cars to make spark showers look ridiculous and would only impress a six-year-old. Christ FIA is lost.
Is this still a thing for bikers' knee sliders, too?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

meatpimp posted:

That's...not why it's there.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Edit:^^^yes it is. "FIA technical director Charlie Whiting says making the blocks out of titanium makes the cars safer, stops teams from gaining an advantage and creates more sparks, "which some people think will look a little more spectacular"."

Edit dos, just to add even more:" Formula 1 cars are producing sparks this year because of a conscious effort by teams to improve the show. The idea was proposed by Mercedes last year as a simple fix as part of wider concerns about television audience figures, which were falling in some markets."

Tldr F1 loving sucks and sparks haven't made it better.

InitialDave posted:

Is this still a thing for bikers' knee sliders, too?

Yep.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...llLgaAsRY8P8HAQ

I've never seen anyone actually wearing them though.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 2, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

E:f,b

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 2, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah, because the planks that they used since the '90s were dangerous. :rolleyes:

Edit:

iwentdoodie posted:

Edit dos, just to add even more:" Formula 1 cars are producing sparks this year because of a conscious effort by teams to improve the show. The idea was proposed by Mercedes last year as a simple fix as part of wider concerns about television audience figures, which were falling in some markets."

Tldr F1 loving sucks and sparks haven't made it better.

Edit dos was best edit. Just add a couple bullshit sparks and people won't notice that there are two different classes of cars racing on the same track while masquerading as a premier sporting event.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 2, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Oh that is pretty stupid, had no idea they added more on purpose.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

In other news, I put an old 32" flat screen in my garage today so I can Netflix and wrench out there.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I mean, I used to be a die-hard F1 fan up until pretty much last year, and fell off the bandwagon halfway through the season. I fell asleep halfway through the first race this year and never bothered to finish it.

But the sparks are fuckin' cool man. :radcat:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yep, I stopped watching F1 when Mercedes started dominating. MotoGP is all the racing I watch because it's usually a decent show.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Fart Pipe posted:

One of my friends has one and it is amazing. The torque is brutal and unrelenting. It has adjustable ride height and hi/lo range. Sweet truck but its also a VW with literally 36 computers in it so theyre better when other people own them.

The aston Rapide has something approaching 60 modules and if you leave the ignition on for more than 30mins the battery won't have enough juice left to start the engine

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

bronco chat- your dads not going to hurt anything running the locking hubs in full time- we do that when we get fleet vehicles for our fire units, they get locked in the day we get them and returned 5 years and 60K kms later with them still in. Our two little Mitsi trucks have had the hubs locked in since day 1 and theyre 10yrs old and 100K kms old of offroad use.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

More pictures of the teardrop trailer please.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

christ did someone really send cops to 14 inch's house? he posted as much on facebook

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Edit: ^ cops at a meth addicted persons house who makes notoriously bad decisions? That could honestly go either way. Especially since this forum has basically just existed to push him further into it for the lulz under a guise of giving a poo poo.

Larrymer posted:

Yep, I stopped watching F1 when Mercedes started dominating. MotoGP is all the racing I watch because it's usually a decent show.

WSBK is loving awesome too. Race 1 from Spain this weekend had some goddamned insane moments.

Heading to the dirt track tonight for Night of Destruction, and buddy is gonna run his 14 WRX in the spectator races. Wife got a job and worked her first day today. Shits cool man.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 2, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

iwentdoodie posted:

Edit: ^ cops at a meth addicted persons house who makes notoriously bad decisions? That could honestly go either way. Especially since this forum has basically just existed to push him further into it for the lulz under a guise of giving a poo poo.

:drat:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Edit dos was best edit. Just add a couple bullshit sparks and people won't notice that there are two different classes of cars racing on the same track while masquerading as a premier sporting event.

I don't follow F1 because it's probably the most boring thing in existence but can someone explain this to me? I've seen a lot of remarks to the same effect and a bunch of bitching about rule changes and poo poo but I don't actually know what's happening or why.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Used to be, you qualified in order, and the bottom six teams were eliminated every qualification round.
Now, it's a rolling time qualification, where the bottom person not at X laps is eliminated every 60/90 seconds (can't remember which). Totally changed the entire dynamic of the race, because you have to remember that you only have a limited number of sets of tires to use. Some courses have laps that are so long that otherwise excellent drivers that didn't have forward or pole position literally can't make the laps in time, even with good driving. They're being eliminated literally a second away from the lap point.

I may not be totally accurate because I don't follow it, really. But my partner at work does.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 3, 2016

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

A VW V10 TDI.

If that's not scary enough for you, you could always step up to the Audi stablemate:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That picture doesn't show you the best part.

On the firewall end naturally.

Geirskogul posted:

Used to be, you qualified in order, and the bottom six teams were eliminated every qualification round.
Now, it's a rolling time qualification, where the bottom person not at X laps is eliminated every 60/90 seconds (can't remember which). Totally changed the entire dynamic of the race, because you have to remember that you only have a limited number of sets of tires to use. Some courses have laps that are so long that otherwise excellent drivers that didn't have forward or pole position literally can't make the laps in time, even with good driving. They're being eliminated literally a second away from the lap point.

I may not be totally accurate because I don't follow it, really. But my partner at work does.

That seems kind of poorly thought through but I don't see why it affects the actual race. Like, yes all the fastest cars end up at the front (which usually happens anyway AFAIK) but it's still a race and you're expected to overtake and stuff right?

• Locked thread