Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Brevity is the soul of wit.
Needless complexity is the soul of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Groovelord Neato posted:

uh yes? it's a lot worse when something is both dumb and convoluted.

No but you're saying dumbness and complexity are two distinct qualities now? Because you initially said everything post 2 is dumb, but what you really meant was that everything post 2 is complex?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

IShallRiseAgain confirmed for fishman

We prefer the term Deep Ones. Please don't use that racial slur.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

porfiria posted:

So your metric for dumbness is complexity?

Essentially the Warcraft mandala is very convoluted and yet more evidence of the never-ending retcons. When you first look at their mandala it doesn't even appear to make sense. We had a very long period where magic was evil and ultimately the province of Sargeras/demons. Well, now that doesn't matter anymore, either.

In their effort to make every race "belong" in the game and be in some way nuanced, whatever the cost, Blizzard has consistently set fire to whatever happened in the past of the game world, often immediately before their retcon. As a consequence we have no idea what is happening in the movie because depending upon when the movie was written and whether or not the script writers cared to pay close attention, it could be one or several things.

I remember when Grom Hellscream was a psychopathic 70's rock joke. Everything was simple, made sense, and was good. There wasn't a new demigod coming in every two years to tell us everything we knew was wrong and no it didn't happen like it just happened. Warcraft II ended on Ner'zhul escaping into the multiverse while being chased by Khadgar. Everything else since has been significantly less interesting, despite its vastly increased complexity. It wasn't that orcs were necromancer mongols, you see, it's that the Alliance is racist!

Of course, every video game series between the mid-90's and the early 2000's became vastly more complicated in scope, given the increased technical capabilities of the games, leading to more and more storytelling. And if they had made this movie back when Burning Crusade/Wrath of the Lich King came out, generally the last time Warcraft was considered at all compelling by most people, maybe that would have worked. But those expansions were a long-rear end time ago.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Essentially the Warcraft mandala is very convoluted and yet more evidence of the never-ending retcons. When you first look at their mandala it doesn't even appear to make sense. We had a very long period where magic was evil and ultimately the province of Sargeras/demons. Well, now that doesn't matter anymore, either.

In their effort to make every race "belong" in the game and be in some way nuanced, whatever the cost, Blizzard has consistently set fire to whatever happened in the past of the game world, often immediately before their retcon. As a consequence we have no idea what is happening in the movie because depending upon when the movie was written and whether or not the script writers cared to pay close attention, it could be one or several things.

I remember when Grom Hellscream was a psychopathic 70's rock joke. Everything was simple, made sense, and was good. There wasn't a new demigod coming in every two years to tell us everything we knew was wrong and no it didn't happen like it just happened. Warcraft II ended on Ner'zhul escaping into the multiverse while being chased by Khadgar. Everything else since has been significantly less interesting, despite its vastly increased complexity. It wasn't that orcs were necromancer mongols, you see, it's that the Alliance is racist!

Of course, every video game series between the mid-90's and the early 2000's became vastly more complicated in scope, given the increased technical capabilities of the games, leading to more and more storytelling. And if they had made this movie back when Burning Crusade/Wrath of the Lich King came out, generally the last time Warcraft was considered at all compelling by most people, maybe that would have worked. But those expansions were a long-rear end time ago.

It's an MMO so stuff has to keep happening. The plots and characters have never been the point though, it's all about funny vocal responses and wacky designs. Which the games continue to have, pretty much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

504 posted:

Warcraft lore sounds like the comic Spawn when I stopped reading.

In this issue.. GOD!!

In this issue... GODS BOSS!!!!!

In this issue GODS BOSSES BOSS!!!!

Next week in Spawn.. Who is the mysterious person Gods bosses boss is taking orders from?

That's Blizzard writing in general.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

porfiria posted:

It's an MMO so stuff has to keep happening. The plots and characters have never been the point though, it's all about funny vocal responses and wacky designs. Which the games continue to have, pretty much.

Soap Operas and Pro Wrestling manage to do it by evolving storylines forward and changing characters in the now rather than continuously rewriting up the past and negating the symbolism and relationships come before. A big heel turn is more potent because it tears something down and creates loss, whereas a retcon says it never was.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Paolomania posted:

Soap Operas and Pro Wrestling manage to do it by evolving storylines forward and changing characters in the now rather than continuously rewriting up the past and negating the symbolism and relationships come before. A big heel turn is more potent because it tears something down and creates loss, whereas a retcon says it never was.

That's because Soap Operas and Wrestling are character-driven linear scripted visual narratives, whereas MMOs are player-driven persistent virtual worlds.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

WoW is a 100% NPC-driven narrative with players acting as supporting cast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

porfiria posted:

That's because Soap Operas and Wrestling are character-driven linear scripted visual narratives, whereas MMOs are player-driven persistent virtual worlds.

WoW's storytelling is not player-driven in the least.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

EVE has player driven story in that events like war, betrayal and alliances are not controlled by the devs but by the players themselves. There isn't really a story per se and for most players the game is just flying around and looking at spreadsheets but at least CCP know to just sit back and allow the players to control things as much as possible.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Lurdiak posted:

WoW's storytelling is not player-driven in the least.

Right, it's an occasion for players to murder stuff.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I guess I fundamentally disagree: the mandala takes the problem of a series with a lot of mere length-based complexity (we're a long way from Demonic Orcs and Virtuous Humans) and makes a working diagram of everything that passes the Eye Test without drastically changing what we've been dealing with for a while now. When I look at the mandala, I'm not thinking about the supposed danger of using arcane magic (since practically everyone is using arcane magic in the setting and the Legion only seems to come around every once in a while), I'm thinking that, ok, the Titan Magic is diagonal to the Burning Legion Magic.

Like, I can understand it being annoying if you liked the Red-Vs-Blue aspect of older Warcraft and seeing that modern Warcraft is WGRUB from Magic, but it's not that terrible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's bad and it's been bad in all their current sequels.

i do wish i could have bad taste though and enjoy what they put out but alas it is not to be.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As far as I remember the stuff in this book is meant to be the last retcon. Basically if it's in the book it is going to be true, not that I believe they'll stop making retcons but this is what they've said about the book I'm pretty sure.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 3, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lord_Magmar posted:

As far as I remember the stuff in this book is meant to be the last retcon. Basically if it's in the book it is going to be true, not that I believe they'll stop making retcons but this is what they've said about the book I'm pretty sure.

There's gonna loving be more retcons now I'm absolutely sure of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

porfiria posted:

You keep shifting goalposts and now you've basically gotten to the point of saying the story doesn't even matter. Is it so hard for you to admit that it's just a really bad story and everyone is right to feel it's bad?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Titans one tick away from the Old Gods and the Naaru one tick away from the Burning Legion? This crap won't stand.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The book is there so when they finally do the "kill sargeras" expansion, which might very well be this upcoming one, they can launch the next one with Void Gods and when people say "wait what the gently caress is this, how is this a follow up to the main bad guys since the very first RTS game?" blizzard will get bailed out by nerds who say "ACTually if you read Chronicles you'd know that void lords are the real bad guys and are badder than the Legion".

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

porfiria posted:

No but you're saying dumbness and complexity are two distinct qualities now? Because you initially said everything post 2 is dumb, but what you really meant was that everything post 2 is complex?

:qq: warcraft fan tears detected :qq:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Killing The Lich King was the end of the WoW story.

No one has been 10% as interesting or generated 1% of the player enthusiasm to see/beat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

504 posted:

No one has been 10% as interesting or generated 1% of the player enthusiasm to see/beat.

I liked Deathwing a lot but I apparently was the only person. I guess most WoW players' first game was WC3 and not WC2. I already thought 3 was self-important, full of needless retcons and kinda dumb, not to mention it seemed to recycle plot points from the Star Wars prequels of all things, but I had no idea how dumb things would get.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

I liked Deathwing a lot but I apparently was the only person. I guess most WoW players' first game was WC3 and not WC2. I already thought 3 was self-important, full of needless retcons and kinda dumb, not to mention it seemed to recycle plot points from the Star Wars prequels of all things, but I had no idea how dumb things would get.

I remember downing NW and being all "What? really?" there was just nothing in it for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Who is NW?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

porfiria posted:

Kinda? I stopped playing when people stopped asking me to murder birds and bring them their feathers. gently caress crystals and magic swords, I just wanted to kill birds. Or maybe some hogs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Grendels Dad posted:

Kinda? I stopped playing when people stopped asking me to murder birds and bring them their feathers. gently caress crystals and magic swords, I just wanted to kill birds. Or maybe some hogs.

There's a whole zone of birdmen in the latest expansion.

It's also got some of the better storytelling of the expac, because it's largely divorced from the main plot.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like "plot relevance" alone is the sole thing defining how much people get into the story. If WotLK had better core gameplay, and sold the story of Arthas better than did Cataclysm Deathwing, and the fight against Arthas was better designed than the one(s) against Deathwing (all of which seem to be the consensus from what I've seen), then no manner of "plot relevance" is going to make people like him near as much. I don't doubt that Arthas had more momentum behind him, being a more recent villain which also had a real presence in WoW right from the start, but Cataclysm's setup probably didn't do Deathwing any favors.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

:confused: What does that stand for?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Games Discusso is better than the actual Games subforum now.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Corek posted:

Games Discusso is better than the actual Games subforum now.

Low bar

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

504 posted:

If Thrall did a heel turn vast swaths of players would resub just to get a chance to kill him. (If Metzen had any talent this would have happened in the latest expansion. Heck he would even have been able to recycle his favorite corruption storyline.)

Paolomania fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 3, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Paolomania posted:

If Thrall did a heel turn vast swaths of players would resub just to get a chance to kill him. (If Metzen had any talent this would have happened in the latest expansion. Heck he would even have been able to recycle his favorite corruption storyline.)

Why? Normal not crazies like Thrall and don't really want to kill him.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best Orc leaders in gaming:

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
I just cant get over how much Khadgar looks like some nerdy high-schooler's lovely cosplay.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I guess most WoW players' first game was WC3 and not WC2.

I don't know for certain, but I recall reading that this was the case. WC2 was a game very popular within the niche market of gaming at the time (winnowed down even further by it being in its own niche genre, the RTS), whereas WC3 was the first mainstream introduction for a growing market.

Picklepuss posted:

:confused: What does that stand for?

White - Green - Red - BlUe - Black.

Basically I was saying that I can understand it if someone who liked WC 1/2 liked the Red-Is-Against-Blue-Is-Against-Red style of things, when the new codified lore defines things as multiple different groups allied/opposed to each other. Personally, I like the latter more. Prolly because of my time spent in Magic, where even dual (and tri) color combos have their own internal flavor.

Steve2911 posted:

Why? Normal not crazies like Thrall and don't really want to kill him.

One of the base-level underpinnings from WoW's lore thread is the assumption that Thrall-hate is the standard.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Bobfromsales posted:

I just cant get over how much Khadgar looks like some nerdy high-schooler's lovely cosplay.
Which one?

MisterBibs posted:

White - Green - Red - BlUe - Black.

Basically I was saying that I can understand it if someone who liked WC 1/2 liked the Red-Is-Against-Blue-Is-Against-Red style of things, when the new codified lore defines things as multiple different groups allied/opposed to each other. Personally, I like the latter more. Prolly because of my time spent in Magic, where even dual (and tri) color combos have their own internal flavor.
Ah, thanks! I've never played Magic, but I think I follow you.

MisterBibs posted:

One of the base-level underpinnings from WoW's lore thread is the assumption that Thrall-hate is the standard.
As much as I hate Thrall, I think Med'an is worth mentioning as the worst "Mary Sue" I have ever seen in Warcraft and this is coming from someone who doesn't even like that term... but there's just no other way to describe the Poochie of Azeroth.

Picklepuss fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 3, 2016

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Med'an is virtually unknown. Anyone angry about him is close to being a red shirt guy.
Thrall is overused and annoying but thrall-hate is internet retardation.
Khadgar was a teenager in the first war.
The "mandala" is just book art and should be given liberty to interpret the wow universe. It doesn't serve a purpose than other to look pretty.

The wow movie might do well if there is no competition. Otherwise, it is kind of bland. IDK blizzard has the luck of the gods with marketing average products. The first war story imo revolves around Gul'dan and Medivh, not irrelevant human king and irrelevant orc chief. Human and orc good guys are only significant in their deaths but the wizards drive the action. If they were were to set up Ner'zhul and Khadgar in addition to the guys that opened the portal, some of the most important characters would be developed for future movies. This makes too much sense and the movie will probably be a retcon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's not marketing luck, they made really good games up until sc2 and have been able to continue off the bad taste of game players or "gamers".

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

temple posted:

Med'an is virtually unknown. Anyone angry about him is close to being a red shirt guy.
Is anyone genuinely angry about Med'an? I mostly remember people as finding him cringeworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

Who is NW?

Hehe, mean DW (Deathwing)

NW was Nightwing, Batmans lil boy toy all grown up.

• Locked thread