Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I like this episode overall

I don't like how the music is just the part 3 "jotaro is owning someone" music remixed a couple times, both the action scene music and the chill talking scene music both had the exact same guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Let Jotaro have his leitmotif. There were a lot more songs in the episode, too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
yeah man that's the jotaro theme what did you expect.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be fair, Jotaro did own someone, so the music wasn't out of place.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

the music track with the vaguely rap lyrics also has almost the exact same same guitar, is that also jotaros theme?

is the music that plays when jotaro and josuke are talking after he beats up some thugs that has again, almost the exact same guitiar playing in the background, also jotaro's theme?

it's just lame to have three parts with wildly different music styles and then everything from part 4 sofar has been more of part 3. I get its the same composer but cmon

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Effective use of leit motif is actually the hypest poo poo so please, continue to do that david production.

The rap track from the previews is clearly Josuke's theme, and Josuke and Jotaro are family so even thematically, similarities make sense.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Jeez Joseph is lazy. If he kept up with his ripple training, wouldn't he live to 150 or so? There'd be need to deal with inheritance issues so soon. Well, there would be since he's a super rich dude, but it's being framed as "he could drop any minute!" when he could be busting heads for another half century at least.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Shakugan posted:

Jeez Joseph is lazy.

To be fair, that was established in Part 2.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 2, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

darealkooky posted:

the music track with the vaguely rap lyrics also has almost the exact same same guitar, is that also jotaros theme?

is the music that plays when jotaro and josuke are talking after he beats up some thugs that has again, almost the exact same guitiar playing in the background, also jotaro's theme?

it's just lame to have three parts with wildly different music styles and then everything from part 4 sofar has been more of part 3. I get its the same composer but cmon

It references Stardust Crusaders, but it's distinct enough to be its own thing. Also Jotaro is talking to someone, it's Jotaro's theme playing, rearranged for Part 4.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, Joseph did kinda die at the end of Stardust. He came back to life, yes, but it's a big enough deal that maybe we'd wanna get the affairs in order.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He wanted to grow old together with his wife.

The one he cheated on, specifically.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Shakugan posted:

Jeez Joseph is lazy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
My favorite music was that little five second stinger before the title card comes in. Also all the dumb record scratches for Koichi's inner narration or to fast forward between scenes is the best

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like that the stands make gunshot sounds when they punch each other now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like how that weird, watery stand of angelo's (name withheld for spoiler reasons, also people should stop namedropping things from later arcs this is the official anime thread for the love of god) was given the creepy-rear end movement when it slid into the drain after popping out of the guy it possessed. it was a small detail but it made me and the people i was with kinda do a little 'aaaa what the hell' when that happened

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The stand card in the middle of the episode actually revealed Josuke's stand name quite a bit in advance of where it actually happens in the manga too. I was surprised they decided to do that, even though it's a minor thing in the grand scheme.

Stardust Crusader's didn't reveal Star Platinum's name on its card between episode chunks until it was officially revealed fwiw

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i was actually surprised that crazy d's name was shown so soon, but it's definitely not a big deal or anything. or even a small deal. we all need more crazy d, to be honest. i loved the valentine color scheme like everyone else, and the color palettes so far have been amazing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like that it was a colour shift on top of a colour shift. I don't recall that happening in any previous episodes. Raging Ruby :allears:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so far all of the general aesthetics like the colors and music and soundwork have worked really well and are different enough to be distinct from the previous parts while still being really recognizable as a part of the whole, which is a sign of good things to come. all we need now is the opening and ending.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The season's gonna be split in two right? David can't possibly do 39 episodes in a row right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It'll probably take a break but not even the 39 number is confirmed so it's all guesswork.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I thought Josuke's stand was Crazy Diamond, but the episode card went with Shining Diamond. Different translation? Rights issue?

It's still a reference to the same song either way though.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Part 4 has quite a few stands named after popular bands so there are going to be a lot more changes.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

jivjov posted:

So I thought Josuke's stand was Crazy Diamond, but the episode card went with Shining Diamond. Different translation? Rights issue?

Yeah, it's Crazy Diamond. Stands at this point are all going to be music references and sadly for JoJo to gain traction in the west, names are gonna have to be changed to avoid copyright. We saw this a little bit at the end of Part 3 with Vanilla Ice becoming Cool Ice, Steely Dan becoming Dan Of Steel, Kenny G becoming Billie Jean. I can't remember if there was just a rumor or it actually almost happened, but I remember hearing that Prince in particular has been ready to lawyer up, so it's not like this is a fake threat and no American bands are gonna care about this at all.

It's a lil lame but ah well.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 2, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's at least 2 more stands in this part that will likely get name changes, one soon, one distant.

Crazy D is the best stand though, and the best Stand name, and the cutest stand, and the toughest stand, and the greatest stand and the stand with the most punching a hole through a person like it ain't no thing to date.

The World: 1
Star Platinum: 1
Crazy D: 2

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crazy Diamond is pretty great, yeah.

Moltrey posted:

I assumed they'd be using ASB's name changes, which if so is gonna be like every Stand except like one or two will be name changed.

Looking at the ASB name changes makes me sad.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 2, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Crazy Diamond is cooler than every Stand in Part 3 and the only Stand in all of JoJo's I have a figure of. It's Very Good.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's at least 2 more stands in this part that will likely get name changes, one soon, one distant.

Crazy D is the best stand though, and the best Stand name, and the cutest stand, and the toughest stand, and the greatest stand and the stand with the most punching a hole through a person like it ain't no thing to date.

The World: 1
Star Platinum: 1
Crazy D: 2
I assumed they'd be using ASB's name changes, which if so is gonna be like every Stand except like one or two will be name changed.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 2, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It wasn't until I watched this episode that I realized what a dick Josuke is. Koichi's freaking out, the hostage is freaking out, the cops are freaking out, and Josuke's reaction is just "Meh. ...Wait, did you just talk poo poo about my hair?!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Crazy Diamond is cooler than every Stand in Part 3 and the only Stand in all of JoJo's I have a figure of. It's Very Good.

Crazy Diamond owners unite.

Buy your favourite JoJo characters and stands so that you can make them be bros who watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable with you

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Crazy Diamond owners unite.

Buy your favourite JoJo characters and stands so that you can make them be bros who watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable with you

Crazy Diamond is like a dog that saw another dog on TV and is really confused

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vengarr posted:

It wasn't until I watched this episode that I realized what a dick Josuke is. Koichi's freaking out, the hostage is freaking out, the cops are freaking out, and Josuke's reaction is just "Meh. ...Wait, did you just talk poo poo about my hair?!"

To be fair, Josuke has a hair trigger temper normally kind personality and wouldn't have done anything like that had it not been for that one comment.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Crazy Diamond is pretty great, yeah.

Looking at the ASB name changes makes me sad.

The ASB name changes for part 5 peeve me off a huge amount, especially Six Bullets

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

no they will not posted:

The ASB name changes for part 5 peeve me off a huge amount, especially Six Bullets

Six Pistols] would have been much better.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, Josuke has a hair trigger temper normally kind personality and wouldn't have done anything like that had it not been for that one comment.

Yeah, it's sort of interesting that Araki makes a point early on of establishing the personality thing when aside from his hair sensitivity, he's not nearly as mercurial as he's made out to be early on; he's generally pretty easygoing but can get a bit excited if he has others around to egg him on and anger's more of a last resort/thing he gets into when people go after his friends. He doesn't get unreasonably angry all that often.

But the first part of DIU does a really good job of establishing the range of Josuke so you can get him down pretty quickly.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

jivjov posted:

I could've sworn that "shining diamond" is either what araki has recently decided to call it or at the very least he specifically came up with that name for the english versions

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

darealkooky posted:

I could've sworn that "shining diamond" is either what araki has recently decided to call it or at the very least he specifically came up with that name for the english versions

Araki didn't come up with any of the name changes. The localizers just consulted with him regarding them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's always been Crazy Diamond. Shining Diamond's a pretty good effort at a change though because of it still being based on the same song.

There are a couple of stands that have had retroactive name changes done by Araki for legal reasons or just because he felt like renaming them, but I don't believe that happened to any Part 3 or 4 ones.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Edit 3: Unnecessary spoiler talk

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 2, 2016

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Araki didn't come up with any of the name changes. The localizers just consulted with him regarding them.
And he signed off on this!? What a sellout.

Seriously that's kind of annoying that I can't just blame it on CR being dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

even in the most recent part there's been at least one instance where something was originally listed with one name which was later changed, but yeah, crazy diamond has always been known as crazy diamond. as said, shining diamond is actually a really good replacement that happens to be a reference in the same vein and isn't as liable to bother copyright people since 'shining diamond' is more general than 'crazy diamond' which, really, can only be applied to that specific song.

• Locked thread