Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bigass Moth posted:

Is the mcsa server 2012 practical knowledge or all insane minutia that I will never use outside of a server admin role?

I haven't taken the 2012 tests yet, but I took a bunch of 2003 and 2008 exams.

Microsoft tests trick people up in 3 ways:

1: They want answers the Microsoft way of doing things, not necessarily the industry standard or best practice way of doing things. They want the Microsoft way.

2: The questions are crafted to mislead the test taker. 70% of a Microsoft exam is test taking skills. Being able to identify the question actually being asked and then selecting the most correct answer.

3: They really love to focus on newer Microsoft technologies regardless if anyone actually uses that stuff in the real world. I failed the 2008R2 Networking exam twice because NO ONE USES THAT poo poo IN THE REAL WORLD *that poo poo being their NPS and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Yeah, I think a fair chunk of the MCSA is more system architect stuff as opposed to system administrator stuff.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Docjowles posted:

Congrats :cheers: You've come a long way from a year ago.

:hfive: You were a big part of getting me off my rear end two years ago and getting my resume together to gtfo of Target.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm going to start going completely in for CCNP, I plan to use GNS3 and a mix of CBT Nuggets and INE.

I'd like to have this separate from my home PC, something light but also not crazy expensive. I looked into the Surface and while its around what I'd like its a bit too pricey.

What do people here use to run labs? I really don't want to buy a stack of routers and switches.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
VMware workstation and the GNS3VM they offer worked really well for me, especially if you wanna keep all your hardware in one box

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm going to start going completely in for CCNP, I plan to use GNS3 and a mix of CBT Nuggets and INE.

I'd like to have this separate from my home PC, something light but also not crazy expensive. I looked into the Surface and while its around what I'd like its a bit too pricey.

What do people here use to run labs? I really don't want to buy a stack of routers and switches.

GNS but now I just use VIRL:

http://virl.cisco.com/

Also here:
https://learninglabs.cisco.com/

might have some stuff (I think even a hosted version of VIRL)

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Is there a VCP equivalent Hyper-V cert?

What are some other certs that are geared towards the Microsoft virtualization ideology? My work is offering to pay for something that'll help improve our Hyper-V environment.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

rafikki posted:

:hfive: You were a big part of getting me off my rear end two years ago and getting my resume together to gtfo of Target.

Oh. You are that Rafikki. Congrats man. :)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

My company wants me to get RHCSA certified. I'm not sure if it's that useful for me but more certs are never bad.

How difficult is the exam?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

supersteve posted:

What are some other certs that are geared towards the Microsoft virtualization ideology? My work is offering to pay for something that'll help improve our Hyper-V environment.

You could start off with 74-409 Server Virtualization with Windows Server Hyper-V and System Center. If you're also running System Center in-house, 70-246 Monitoring and Operating a Private Cloud with System Center 2012 and 70-247 Configuring and Deploying a Private Cloud with System Center 2012 are logical next steps.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Jeoh posted:

You could start off with 74-409 Server Virtualization with Windows Server Hyper-V and System Center. If you're also running System Center in-house, 70-246 Monitoring and Operating a Private Cloud with System Center 2012 and 70-247 Configuring and Deploying a Private Cloud with System Center 2012 are logical next steps.

Those sound perfect, I'll take a look at each. Thanks!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

MJP posted:

Get your VCP and you'll be invincible. A VCP and MCSA cover the two big server virtualization platforms in enough detail to fill in the gaps or to understand where to go to fill 'em in.

I decided earlier this week to go for the MCSA 2012 as a companion to my VCP5-DCV. I was sort of torn between doing something with Linux or VMware-related, but I've got 13 months until my VCP expires and I wanted something that would make me somewhat desirable by employers, especially since it seems the current contract I'm on looks to be ending August 2nd. Once I heard that news, getting the MCSA seemed like a no-brainer.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I decided earlier this week to go for the MCSA 2012 as a companion to my VCP5-DCV. I was sort of torn between doing something with Linux or VMware-related, but I've got 13 months until my VCP expires and I wanted something that would make me somewhat desirable by employers, especially since it seems the current contract I'm on looks to be ending August 2nd. Once I heard that news, getting the MCSA seemed like a no-brainer.

Just be careful with the timing because the MCSA is very time-intensive since it's three exams versus one and a half for the VCP. I recently got both my MCSA Server 2012 and VCP6-DCV and the MCSA by far took way more time to study for.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Are the virtualization certs worth having if you're going into security?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

supersteve posted:

The 2012 MCSE is so Hyper-V focused to the point of bastardizing what I understand the MCSE used to stand for. Someone mentioned the Private Cloud MCSE - that's pretty much the one you'd want.

Keep us posted about it, I'm torn between going for it now or upgrading my MCSA to 2016 when that drops, then going for the 2016 MCSE when it solidifies.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

When is 2016 dropping anyway? Do they generally have the release and MCSA pretty close together?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SaltLick posted:

When is 2016 dropping anyway? Do they generally have the release and MCSA pretty close together?

You don't want to take a MS test right after it comes out. Give them a few months to get them sorted out.

One advantage though is the test bank is usually way smaller when the test is first released, the bad part is the test may have a bunch of terrible questions on it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

skipdogg posted:

You don't want to take a MS test right after it comes out. Give them a few months to get them sorted out.

One advantage though is the test bank is usually way smaller when the test is first released, the bad part is the test may have a bunch of terrible questions on it.

I'd put Cisco in with this group now because of their CCNA Security debacle. It took them 5 months to say "Hey, poo poo, we screwed up and are working with the test vendor to fix this!"

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Weird question, but does anyone here use or have used Adderall/Ritalin and suffer from Learning Disabilities? Have they found it somewhat helps for studying for Certs?

I'll immediately remove this if this is an inappropriate question to ask.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Race Realists posted:

Weird question, but does anyone here use or have used Adderall/Ritalin and suffer from Learning Disabilities? Have they found it somewhat helps for studying for Certs?

Are you actually trying to ask if you should take psychostimulant drugs to help you study for certs?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Race Realists posted:

If you've been prescribed these drugs, take them as directed. If you haven't been prescribed them, don't take them. Hope this bit of common sense helps!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you've been prescribed these drugs, take them as directed. If you haven't been prescribed them, don't take them. Hope this bit of common sense helps!

Also, there's an entire subforum devoted to those questions.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you actually trying to ask if you should take psychostimulant drugs to help you study for certs?

NOOO, I'm WELL aware of the dangers of abusing this poo poo can do unprescribed. I was asking if anyone knows anyone with a LD whos in the IT field. That is all. Wont ask again, promise.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Race Realists posted:

Just get a bunch of cocaine.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So I'm about 75% through the content for the sec+ and hardly any of it is anything new. Is this exam like..significantly easier than the Net+?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Kashuno posted:

So I'm about 75% through the content for the sec+ and hardly any of it is anything new. Is this exam like..significantly easier than the Net+?

Sec+ was pretty much an exam on knowing buzzwords when I took it, and I don't think it has changed much since.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Race Realists posted:

I have ADD managed by a Psychiatrist and take 30MG of Focalin XR everyday. I don't have a LD of any sort, just focus issues.

Unlike people that don't need meds though, my meds just help me be normal, and if I want to focus on a task I can. Off the meds I couldn't finish this post without checking 4 different websites and staring at the ceiling for a few minutes. It doesn't make me a lean mean cert studying machine for 8 hours or anything.

Studying for certs is boring, the best thing you can do is apply good study habits and break things up into chunks. I learn best by doing, so for example I would fire up my NPS VM and a client and make changes and learn about all the NPS stuff when I was studying the 2008 MS networking exam. Break things up into short chunks (don't try to stare at an IT book for 3 hours), and do things the way you learn best. Some people learn by doing, others by reading, others by hearing.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Race Realists posted:

NOOO, I'm WELL aware of the dangers of abusing this poo poo can do unprescribed. I was asking if anyone knows anyone with a LD whos in the IT field. That is all. Wont ask again, promise.

If you want to post your email address I'm happy to discuss this offline, mostly because I don't want to poo poo up a cert exam thread with my personal situation. Or get PMs. Either or.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hooooly poo poo, my Jang RHCE 7 book shows as being delivered. I never thought I'd see the day!

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Race Realists posted:

I don't think there is anything inappropriate about this question. Just to confirm, obviously I agree that precription drugs should only be taken as prescribed and as directed by a doctor. Taking those drugs just because studying is hard seems to lead to very very bad things but that doesn't seem to be what you are considering.

Personally I have ADD and take precription meds for it, Concerta. Yes I would say that studying is the kind of task where I notice the impact the most. The medication is very helpful compared to life without it. Before I started meds, or if I take a day off, I notice the difference in all sorts of tasks that involve concentration. If studying is the only time you find yourself wishing you had medication then medication might not be the right choice for you, there are things like side effects to consider. So if you are kinda borderline - as in sometimes you feel like you need meds but sometimes you do fine without them - then it's a judgement call whether you should be on meds or not. If you think you would benefit from meds discuss it with your doctor.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 4, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Put up the $599 to take the CISSP next month. Reading through the new study materials, it seemed like they did streamline it quite a bit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

psydude posted:

Put up the $599 to take the CISSP next month. Reading through the new study materials, it seemed like they did streamline it quite a bit.

I'm doing mine in September. Feel like that might actually give me enough time to go through everything :v:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Has Packet Tracer always been available for free? I seem to remember needing to pay for NetAcad courses before it was provided. Now it looks you can get it by signing up for the free Packet Tracer 101 walkthrough.

https://www.netacad.com/about-networking-academy/packet-tracer/

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Ozu posted:

Has Packet Tracer always been available for free? I seem to remember needing to pay for NetAcad courses before it was provided. Now it looks you can get it by signing up for the free Packet Tracer 101 walkthrough.

https://www.netacad.com/about-networking-academy/packet-tracer/

I definitely don't remember it being free before, but I might've missed the walkthrough thing. Signing up now, thanks!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
What version is the "Free" version? I still have my old Netacad login and it is up to 6.3. It is no longer a standalone .exe file where you can just run it anywhere, as it forces you to login now.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The one I just downloaded is 6.3 and it asks you to log into your NetAcad account or use Guest.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Ozu posted:

The one I just downloaded is 6.3 and it asks you to log into your NetAcad account or use Guest.

I dont remember the guest option I guess.

Anyway, it is a pretty good tool, you really dont need anything past this to study for CCNA R&S in lab equipment terms.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Has anyone here done the Certified Wireless Network Adminstrator certification? I have the textbook for it from a wireless class and don't know whether it's worth studying further for the cert.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

Has anyone here done the Certified Wireless Network Adminstrator certification? I have the textbook for it from a wireless class and don't know whether it's worth studying further for the cert.

Have never heard of it; Googled it to make sure you didn't mean CCNA Wireless. I'm assuming that's a bad thing as far as its marketability goes.

That said, I'm about as far from an authority on networking certifications as you can get. Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The wireless market has always been geared towards user-level simplicity. I have never seen a demand for "Wireless Engineer" because, honestly, it's just not that complex. Yes there are channels and coverage issues and interference and security, but compared to other networking technologies they are switches with less wires. CCNA Routing and Switching is way more valuable because it goes over the same switching aspects APs use as well as routing, which there definitely is a demand for.