Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

I said come in! posted:

Someone is free to correct me if I am way off base here, I very well could be, but I personally cannot recall the last time I heard about mega lines for the release of an Apple mobile product. It just doesn't seem to happen anymore. Does it still for iPhone and i'm just out of the loop? I like to think I keep close tabs on this stuff and would know if it were still happening, but I can't remember the last time I read about it.

iPhone 6 wasn't great at the store I worked at.

(500+ people, reseller getting into punch ups, police being called etc)

These days, yeah you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

A few pages back, someone mentioned that 9.3 fixed the invisible volume controls bug when you wake your ipad with the sleep cover.
I'm on 9.3.1 on an iPad Air and the bug is still there. Really, Apple?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeast posted:

iPhone 6 wasn't great at the store I worked at.

(500+ people, reseller getting into punch ups, police being called etc)

These days, yeah you'll be fine.

Depends on where he lives. The Apple Store in downtown Philly had a huge line for the 6 and 6S.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is it worth it to upgrade from an air 1 to a pro 9.7? Super tempted.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Calaveron posted:

So is it worth it to upgrade from an air 1 to a pro 9.7? Super tempted.

If the extra juice, nicer cameras, and Pencil support are worth it to you.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Posting from my shiny new iPad Pro, no problem at all at the Apple Store. Freaking love split view because I HAVE to have Twitter snapped all all times because I'm a special sort of :spergin:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

mediaphage posted:

The lower-clocked chip has zero noticeable effect on use.

A fair point, which is why I dedicated 5 words to the fact that the chip is lower clocked, and the whole rest of the post to the fact that it has 4GB of RAM, which is actually a huge deal in terms of not only the current experience, but also keeping the tablet relevant and non-bottlenecked for years to come.

It's the first portable device that Apple has put enough RAM into, where you can actually do robust multitasking on it without dropping apps and browser windows.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 1, 2016

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Good thing he's asking about the 13" one which doesn't have a True Tone screen.

I wasn't referring to whatever post you think I was referring to. Just posting an observation.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

I said come in! posted:

Someone is free to correct me if I am way off base here, I very well could be, but I personally cannot recall the last time I heard about mega lines for the release of an Apple mobile product. It just doesn't seem to happen anymore. Does it still for iPhone and i'm just out of the loop? I like to think I keep close tabs on this stuff and would know if it were still happening, but I can't remember the last time I read about it.

If I recall correctly, Apple didn't do online preorders until the iPhone 5, so if you wanted one on launch day you had to queue. These days it's just the turbonerds who line up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

It depends a bit on the cycle, the S product launch isn't as demanding as the regular iPhone cycle (revamped). The iPhone 6 and 6 plus was absolutely insane from launch day to January, most pent up demand for Apple I've ever seen. As a result, I would say a lot of people are on the 6 two year upgrade cycle, so unless the 7 is a dud that'll be a big demand.

The 6S still was pretty busy, but def not as busy. It was weird because Popegate killed the morning lines, so it was just kind of people suddenly all showed up later in the day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Creature posted:

If I recall correctly, Apple didn't do online preorders until the iPhone 5, so if you wanted one on launch day you had to queue. These days it's just the turbonerds who line up.

One of my favorite memories of the 5 launch was taking delivery of my new phone at like 10 AM, setting it up over a late breakfast, and then using it to call my friend who was still camped out in line.

Online preordering done changed the game.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I wasn't referring to whatever post you think I was referring to. Just posting an observation.

And I wanted to clarify in case that poster interpreted it as being about him. Sorry if it came off pointed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/02/t...lumn%2Ftech-tip

quote:

Q. I have many CDs that I purchased from various retail stores (not Apple iTunes) and loaded into my iTunes library on my computer. Is it possible to download these albums to my iPhone and iPad? If so, how?

The gently caress? People don't know you can transfer CD music to your iPad through iTunes? And why would you ask the New York Times instead of just looking up an FAQ online. It's so weird that many people never even touch iTunes now when it used to be required.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

iTunes is the worst thing Apple has ever made. :(

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Kinda bullshit 9.7 smart keyboards are impossible to find

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/02/t...lumn%2Ftech-tip

The gently caress? People don't know you can transfer CD music to your iPad through iTunes? And why would you ask the New York Times instead of just looking up an FAQ online. It's so weird that many people never even touch iTunes now when it used to be required.

Nobody actually sends questions to advice columns, the author writes both the question and answer. That's why they're so stupid.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Kinda bullshit 9.7 smart keyboards are impossible to find

Nobody wants them why would you care? Get the Microsoft one that people like.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm waiting for a case that will hold the iPad like a laptop because it is hard to hold a Bluetooth keyboard and an iPad on my lap at the same time

Possible but hard

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Do you mean first party keyboards only? There's plenty of third parties that make that sort of thing.

I was heavily considering buying this one until I realized I don't type more than 10 sentences a day when I'm not at work.

http://www.brydgekeyboards.com/collections/ipad-air-air-2

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mattavist posted:

Do you mean first party keyboards only? There's plenty of third parties that make that sort of thing.

I was heavily considering buying this one until I realized I don't type more than 10 sentences a day when I'm not at work.

http://www.brydgekeyboards.com/collections/ipad-air-air-2

I don't think there are any out yet for the 9.7" iPad Pro--maybe some of the iPad Air ones would fit?

[Edit: oh, apparently they're pretty much the same size.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 3, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Android tablets just never caught up to the iPad saleswise so there's been consistently way more fragmentation and incompatibility issues

I'm sure Android tablets vastly outsell the iPad.

It's just the stupid tech media and their tunnel vision with iPad's dwindling marketshare aka "Apple is doomed" that they don't see the obvious fact that just because crappy $50 1024x600 tablets sell by the truckloads doesn't mean they are more successful than what iPad does.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, Apple is still the biggest brand but their market share slipped to about 30% now.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/276635/market-share-held-by-tablet-vendors/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if I do or should care about this though. Like, the company I've bought all my cars from, and probably always will, only has like 5% market share but they still make the best hatchback in the 20-30k range in my opinion so I'm totally happy. I don't need to have the biggest car bandwagon dick and as long as iPads and iPhones are good and cool I'll keep buying them for the same reasons. I don't really care about the market or The Fate of Apple.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

tuyop posted:

I'm not sure if I do or should care about this though. Like, the company I've bought all my cars from, and probably always will, only has like 5% market share but they still make the best hatchback in the 20-30k range in my opinion so I'm totally happy. I don't need to have the biggest car bandwagon dick and as long as iPads and iPhones are good and cool I'll keep buying them for the same reasons. I don't really care about the market or The Fate of Apple.

Subaru?

And one company holding 30% of a market is not bad

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

App13 posted:

Subaru?

Nah, Mazda.

Maybe people are upset because Apple kind of invented the market in this case, but it's still a strange thing to worry about.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

App13 posted:

Subaru?

I'm not sure if it's applicable, but if the tablet space is *anything* like smart-phones, Apple may not have the majority of the market-share, but they make up for it with a lion's share of the profitability of that space.

By being less concerned with market-share and the race to the bottom, Apple is seen as a "premium" brand which is why they consistently generate more revenue (and consequently profit) per unit moved. The change in focus when Jobs returned --focusing on a smaller set of products, exploiting the cachet of Apple with creatives, and top of class customer service --is what turned Apple around from ailing to one of the healthiest companies in the world. I don't see them changing course soon.

I'm concerned they're starting to exhibit problems in truly massively scaled production, to the point that same model devices can have wildly different real-world operating specs like that battery issue in the 6S. I'd complain about how they address bugs in the OS (iOS, OS X), but that's not necessarily a new thing with them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Consensus on screen protectors on ipad pro?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Consensus on screen protectors on ipad pro?

I have to ask why?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I have to ask why?

Why not? Serious question. Is touch screen resistance so good now that scratches and nicks aren't a thing?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Calaveron posted:

Why not? Serious question. Is touch screen resistance so good now that scratches and nicks aren't a thing?
Pretty much, yeah.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I had my iPad 3 for years without incident. I've had my pro for since launch without incident. The glass is really strong and you don't tend to carry them in your pocket. Just get a cover and don't be stupid with it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Doctor Zero posted:

I had my iPad 3 for years without incident. I've had my pro for since launch without incident. The glass is really strong and you don't tend to carry them in your pocket. Just get a cover and don't be stupid with it.

Yep. Cases run the gamut from cheap as hell:

http://www.amazon.com/INVELLOP-Black-Cover-Apple-release/dp/B018YLLUQ4

To not cheap (I have this one and love it):

http://www.senacases.com/vettra-ipad-pro

One thing I'd recommend is if you have a Pencil, get one with an integrated loop/holder.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

flosofl posted:

One thing I'd recommend is if you have a Pencil, get one with an integrated loop/holder.

Inspired by a post elsewhere I got a Surface Loop and attached that to my Smart Cover, works pretty well.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 3, 2016

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Doctor Zero posted:

Even on devices you do carry in your pocket screen protectors are dumb. My iPhone 5s survived two years caseless in my pocket without a scratch, my iPad 3 still looks flawless. Unless you carry your tablet around in a bag of diamonds and chainsaws you should be just fine.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy crap the multitasking is awesome, I'm posting on the Something Awful Internet forums with a Twitter live stream pinned to the side and the Toronto/Tampa Bay game in the corner, this is the most I've ever done with a tablet.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

lelandjs posted:

Holy crap the multitasking is awesome, I'm posting on the Something Awful Internet forums with a Twitter live stream pinned to the side and the Toronto/Tampa Bay game in the corner, this is the most I've ever done with a tablet.

I know pretty much any apps can be placed side by side, but which apps allow the corner placement? All apps that use video?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Funso Banjo posted:

I know pretty much any apps can be placed side by side, but which apps allow the corner placement? All apps that use video?

Some apps that play video, like MLB At Bat, allow you to shrink down the video window and put it in a corner over other apps. From what I can tell the app has to not only use the standard video player but they also have to specifically allow it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lelandjs posted:

Some apps that play video, like MLB At Bat, allow you to shrink down the video window and put it in a corner over other apps. From what I can tell the app has to not only use the standard video player but they also have to specifically allow it.

ESPN does for sure. It's how I kept up poo poo-posting in TFF during all the Bowl Games. Flipping between two games on TV and one in the corner on the iPad while in the forums. It's surprisingly good.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Is Facebook supposed to work in the split view thing? It doesn't pop up when I scroll through programs even though the messenger does.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Verisimilidude posted:

Is Facebook supposed to work in the split view thing? It doesn't pop up when I scroll through programs even though the messenger does.

Only apps that support split-view will show up in that (frankly awful) scrolling list.

I can't believe Google Hangouts doesn't support it, yet Google Drive does. Which of those is more likely to be used in a multitasking setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a good review of the iPad Pro out there showing off the pdf reading and Pencil annotation features?