Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So having only limited experience with the game system in a PbP format, I've got a question: what makes EotE/AoR/FaD not lend itself particularly well to play-by-post? I know I've heard multiple GM's say that they really don't care for running it as a forums game but never really enumerated reasons why. If there are concrete reasons, is there any way to "fix" them?

Or is it the nature of Star Wars roleplaying in general? I dont recall really ever seeing any Saga or D6 play-by-posts before the current series either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Drone posted:

So having only limited experience with the game system in a PbP format, I've got a question: what makes EotE/AoR/FaD not lend itself particularly well to play-by-post? I know I've heard multiple GM's say that they really don't care for running it as a forums game but never really enumerated reasons why. If there are concrete reasons, is there any way to "fix" them?

Or is it the nature of Star Wars roleplaying in general? I dont recall really ever seeing any Saga or D6 play-by-posts before the current series either.

Reasons why I wouldn't:

1) Initiative is "which player would like this initiative slot this round?" so there is discussion every round, sometimes more than once per round, about who's doing what when. You could give fixed initiative slots.
2) interpretation of the dice is somewhat a group activity. The GM could do it for all Team Bad Guy rolls and the individual players could of their own, unless somebody posts an idea that sounds better to the roller before they interpret.
3) there's no grid for combat, which is an upside for some people and some aspects of PbP because there's no image to update, but it also means (even IRL) confusion about where people are in relation to each other. You could have a Twiddla or update an approximate image
4) there's a lot of negotiation in general on die rolls. In other games, that means + and -, but in this game it means more and/or different dice. "More dice" isn't a problem, since you can let people roll after the initial roll and just re-compute the net result, but "different" dice means a reroll and then #2 again.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The narrative dice enable some back and forth other systems don't and encourage the gm to ask players for outcomes when the dice get complex.

So in dnd

"I'll attack the goblins with my axe"
Rolls 18

"OK, that's 12 points of damage. Two goblins fall in half."

In star wars

"I'll attack the troopers with my axe"
Rolls 3 successes, and 2 threat.

"That's 12 damage which means two troopers dead and one wounded, but tell me what happened and what the threat is"

"OK, so I charge in and go to town on the troopers, but one of them jumps on my back and tries to hold me down. The troopers get advantage on me while I wrestle him off"

The important difference is you rarely just do a thing. You do a thing with a wrinkle.

You miss but you start a fire that blocks the enemy advance.
You balance over the rickety bridge but it collapses behind you.
You bribe the guard but his colleague gets suspicious.
You make the impossible turn but your stabiliser breaks loose.

And every one of these twists involves a little narrative discussion with gm and player. It world just be unweildy on pbp.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Someone over on the FFG forums got her copy of Special Modifications a day early (plus I'll be picking mine up tomorrow after work), so post info requests and I'll see what I can find.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 23, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

jivjov posted:

Someone over on the FFG forums got her copy of Special Modifications a day early (plus all be picking mine up tomorrow after work), so post info requests and I'll see what I can find.

Asmodee :mad::arghfist:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Zodack posted:

Yeah, I know. Deep down I keep hoping my players have it in them to be better, and for every two steps back there is a step forward and people are making an effort, which is an improvement over how it used to be. I think they just need to acclimate to playing more and figure out how not to be brainless.

If it gets progressively worse yes, I will drop it.

Please run away to a GM Shelter, we won't tell the party where you've gone. You deserve to be happy playing too

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

jivjov posted:

Someone over on the FFG forums got her copy of Special Modifications a day early (plus I'll be picking mine up tomorrow after work), so post info requests and I'll see what I can find.

What was the release date supposed to be? today?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Finster Dexter posted:

What was the release date supposed to be? today?

Yup; I got the phone call from my FLGS about 20 minutes ago, and will be headed to pick it up shortly.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Picked mine up. There are LOTS of new rules for crafting :swoon:

I can't see my player switching to any of the new specs without bad motivator.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

jivjov posted:

Yup; I got the phone call from my FLGS about 20 minutes ago, and will be headed to pick it up shortly.

I just called one of mine, and it's supposed to be in tomorrow.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Finster Dexter posted:

I just called one of mine, and it's supposed to be in tomorrow.

Man...one would think that now that FFG is street dating their books, they would get them to stores on time..

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Do any of the splatbooks get into salvage/scrap? One of my players is a tinkerer who wants to salvage everything in sight but there's nothing in the core that really gives details on how it might work

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Do any of the splatbooks get into salvage/scrap? One of my players is a tinkerer who wants to salvage everything in sight but there's nothing in the core that really gives details on how it might work

Special Modifications brings up the idea of savaging parts and components for crafting purposes, but doesn't seem to give a whole lot of crunchy system bits for doing it. I would suggest just organically role playing out the hunt for specific components.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

So is the Bounty Hunter the only class in EotE we're missing a splatbook for, now?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Finster Dexter posted:

So is the Bounty Hunter the only class in EotE we're missing a splatbook for, now?

Correct, we're at 5/6 with EotE, 3/6 with AoR, and 1/6 (with a 2nd in known production) for F&D

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Question: our group is setting up a smuggling hideout on Myrkr (and I'm playing a force-sensitive, welp) and we spent probably excessive time discussing logistics in our last session. I know that the colonist book has colonial homestead rules or something like that; would that be useful to pick up, under the circumstance?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Corbeau posted:

Question: our group is setting up a smuggling hideout on Myrkr (and I'm playing a force-sensitive, welp) and we spent probably excessive time discussing logistics in our last session. I know that the colonist book has colonial homestead rules or something like that; would that be useful to pick up, under the circumstance?

If you're planning on making the operation and upgrading of that hideout a central focus of the campaign, as well as surviving and taming your little corner of the planet, I'd say so.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Regarding the Morality talk, then I've also run into frequent issues with this system in a mixed EotE/F&D group I'm playing in. The design of the system seems to incentivize people into playing min/max and causes frequent arguments when they get Morality points, as mentioned. These are good, sane players who are not crazy minmaxers, but something about this system is making a lot of problems that Obligation just doesn't do. It also doesn't give them good character depth as a game mechanic, except to just be good/bad, which is really lacklustre compared to all the stuff the EotE characters have happening for them. I don't really see it adding anything valuable to the game and wish the GM/players would just drop it altogether.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Special Modifications is out. I can't wait to get my hands on it! Here are the new specializations and some custom rules for installing cybernetics:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Wanna make a Droid Tech/Cyber Tech Droid Technician now. Machines are the future, and I shall build the machines that lead to the conquest of Man, and improve Man to survive in this new world of machinery.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I've not played this campaign or anything but is Amazon.de trying to tell me something about the quality of this one? :v:

Also goddamn almost everything Star Wars RPG-related is out of stock on Amazon in this country and has been since like October. I don't have a pressing need for these splatbooks at all but I'm tempted to order the ones that actually are available just so I don't have to worry about them being ungettable whenever I finally do get around to needing them. Probably a bad justification to crack open the wallet, though.

Drone fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 25, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Seriously, I've been trying to track down the loving dice for 5 months.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ShineDog posted:

Seriously, I've been trying to track down the loving dice for 5 months.

How brutal would international shipping be? Maybe a US goon could pick up sets off Amazon to ship overseas?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

jivjov posted:

How brutal would international shipping be? Maybe a US goon could pick up sets off Amazon to ship overseas?

From experience, pretty prohibitive. However I have had luck ordering from other European versions of Amazon... If the local Amazon.de doesn't have it, there's a decent chance that Amazon.co.uk does. And, for the moment anyway, shipping from Britain to elsewhere in the EU is cheap and easy.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Does Special Modifications have the Cybernetics skill that showed up in one EotE adventure, or not? Going by the Cyber Tech screenshot I'm guessing no, but...

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

What would be some fun locations for a short adventure on a "derelict" Separatist frigate the PCs are exploring? Droid manufacturing, computer rooms, ?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

What would be some fun locations for a short adventure on a "derelict" Separatist frigate the PCs are exploring? Droid manufacturing, computer rooms, ?

Droid bays, for one thing - just racks of B1s waiting for the remote signal to activate. Storage areas with no-longer stable fuel cells just waiting for a stray blaster bolt. Sections where someone clearly dissected a number of droids, looking for something either in their design or in their memories. Vast swatches of the ship infested with spaceborne creatures like mynocks or tibidees.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If I wanted to run a game about the Je'daii Order in a Legends game about the birth of the Jedi and the Sith, how exactly was the galaxy at that point in Legends history? Like, outside the order.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

An unsettled, unexplored mess. The early jedi were actually some of the greatest explorers, some had force powers that let them reliably find new hyperspace routes. The hutts had a pretty huge empire at this point, and were one of the largest unified forces outside of the early Republic. Other than that, just do whatever. There's very little written about that era.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Chronische posted:

An unsettled, unexplored mess. The early jedi were actually some of the greatest explorers, some had force powers that let them reliably find new hyperspace routes. The hutts had a pretty huge empire at this point, and were one of the largest unified forces outside of the early Republic. Other than that, just do whatever. There's very little written about that era.

In other words, a gigantic sandbox with which I don't risk stepping on the feet of any star wars legends/canon content? Sold!

Though, it would be set during the end of the Force Wars and splitting of the Je'daii order. It'd both give the characters a much weirder view on the Jedi -- religious extremists who are purging dark side users of their old faith -- as well as give them a view on the Force never really explored and a whole galaxy to discover and explore.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Pre-Republic Era? There's a map(TM) for that!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Atlas_pre-republic.jpg

Enough empty space indeed.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I don't know about locations but I've got a sort of horror movie take on this idea with buzz droids waiting on an appropriate moment

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

ShineDog posted:

I don't know about locations but I've got a sort of horror movie take on this idea with buzz droids waiting on an appropriate moment

That, and the gravity generator might fail on a Despair or something, causing the entire orientation to shift, possibly causing people to fall all over the place. Maybe have threats cause lights to flicker on and off, or make dangerous machines activate. Turrets, defense droids, or even droid production.

Depending on whether it's crashed on a planet or in space, could have unpleasant critters on it. Mynocks or nexu, perhaps.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

PantsOptional posted:

Droid bays, for one thing - just racks of B1s waiting for the remote signal to activate. Storage areas with no-longer stable fuel cells just waiting for a stray blaster bolt. Sections where someone clearly dissected a number of droids, looking for something either in their design or in their memories. Vast swatches of the ship infested with spaceborne creatures like mynocks or tibidees.

The ship was evacuating from Geonosis, and there are brainworm eggs aboard.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Test Pattern posted:

The ship was evacuating from Geonosis, and there are brainworm eggs aboard.

:hellyeah:

Covok
May 27, 2013

What is the best way to run this as a PBP?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Chronische posted:

That, and the gravity generator might fail on a Despair or something, causing the entire orientation to shift, possibly causing people to fall all over the place. Maybe have threats cause lights to flicker on and off, or make dangerous machines activate. Turrets, defense droids, or even droid production.

Depending on whether it's crashed on a planet or in space, could have unpleasant critters on it. Mynocks or nexu, perhaps.

Love all these ideas! Thinking of having a big droid like a mini spider droid activate as the "final boss". I should probably play republic commando again.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Covok posted:

What is the best way to run this as a PBP?

As mentioned a page or so back, it's not very well suited to this.

It's great for roll20 though.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
If you want a derelict ship adventure, the GM screen kit for Age of Rebellion has a surprisingly good premade scenario involving a hosed up ship, Dead in the Water. I'm not gonna drop any details to avoid spoiling it for anyone, but if handled with some care by a GM, it can be creepy as hell. Like, System Shock creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man; I'm actually taking my time and reading through all the Motivations and Backgrounds and whatnot in Special Modifications...FFG has some great writers on staff. They do good fluff text. All too often I just burn through the spec books looking for species and talent options or new gear...but they make surprisingly interesting reads.