Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

atastypie posted:

* Qazlal is a lot of fun, except every level gets played like the last floor of vaults. Stair dance :v
* The invoke elemental items (lamp of fire, fan, etc.) are super powerful/useful/fun
* Reflect on a shield is awesome and picked me up a ton of kills
* Webtiles is really high quality

agreed with all of these. evocation items are turbo rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Isn't the main point of xomscumming the occasional benemuts he throws at you? Those ain't gonna stick to a mummy or a bloodless vampire.

For mummies the point is to get as much random crap from Xom as possible while surviving his stat drain and other summons. As for vampires: unless it was changed recently they can mutate even when bloodless, and Xom mutation roulette sets your HP back up to 50% if your health is low, so it's a way to heal when you can't regen anymore.

Xom gifts are mostly going to be garbage btw, but he actually does drop acquirement level stuff occasionally (mostly at teddy bear/max piety)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The traditional holy grail of mummy xomscumming is a rod; it takes little skill to use effectively, can kill nearly everything in the early game, and as a mummy you can just stand still for 100000 turns to make it recharge between every battle.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Thanks for answering my questions :)

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

atastypie posted:

* rCorr seems pretty unnecessary now, right?

Considering rCorr used to be useless pre-corrosion reform and now corrosion is a massive pain for non-casters, I'd say the opposite is true.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

'Sniper' can never miss. Can't wait to try and get it on linesprint with penetration bolts :getin:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Zaodai posted:

It should give you a bonus, but only for Bite attacks.

Do this, make "constantly starving vine stalker" a viable playstyle.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

'Sniper' can never miss. Can't wait to try and get it on linesprint with penetration bolts :getin:
it appears to me that it can't miss even when swung. Which is funny, but not very useful.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

kaschei posted:

it appears to me that it can't miss even when swung. Which is funny, but not very useful.

"Jorybane"

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Hell hogs shoot loud fireballs now.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ZeeToo posted:

Hell hogs shoot loud fireballs now.

That's an interesting change. Can't they show up in Abyss? I could see that making them a lot more troublesome for characters trying to keep a low profile until they can find an exit.

Because, I mean, the Hells have constantly screaming rear end in a top hat skulls that sometimes spawn right next to you, and Pan is where you go voluntarily when you just don't give a gently caress about most threats anymore, but Abyss is prime "oh god oh gently caress don't notice me don't notice me gently caress," territory.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 1, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Add hell hog cavalry too. Spriggan hell knights riding on top of them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Add hell hog cavalry too. Spriggan hell knights riding on top of them.

Okay but actual Hell Knights riding War Hellephants and slinging Bolts of Fire while they charge into polearm range actually sounds super loving badass and would be an awesome royal guard for Asmodeus

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Angry Diplomat posted:

Okay but actual Hell Knights riding War Hellephants and slinging Bolts of Fire while they charge into polearm range actually sounds super loving badass and would be an awesome royal guard for Asmodeus

replace tormentinging 1s with various flavours of mounted, armoured knights like this

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Confused and hibernated enemies still sleepwalk, I see.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Playing a demigod fighter because it's been a while. I've never actually gotten Shatter up and running so I figured why the gently caress not. I started training Earth right after my first branch, and it was finally up and running (w/ FDR) at 11% after Zot:4.

Literally the first time I used shatter was Vaults:5 afterwards, and after two casts everything was dead. O_O

E: to be fair I did use a brilliance potion

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

megane posted:

The traditional holy grail of mummy xomscumming is a rod; it takes little skill to use effectively, can kill nearly everything in the early game, and as a mummy you can just stand still for 100000 turns to make it recharge between every battle.

Yeah this is why pakellas turns mummies into extremely easy ascends. Any sort of scumming that nets a mummy a rod is basically gg as long as you don't do anything extraordinarily stupid

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is agony really an anti-hydra option? I haven't really played necromancy guys but I know from playing En that they have pretty high MR for lair.

Also this is a real old post but agony gets a huge spellpower multiplier and is just great at softening hydras for a wand zap or two. Saves you a ton of charges on average since you can use it at max range.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 2, 2016

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Playing 0.10 Crawl so I can get a Sludge Elf win and fill in my table as much as possible.

Good God is this how we used to live?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mitztronic posted:

Playing a demigod fighter because it's been a while. I've never actually gotten Shatter up and running so I figured why the gently caress not. I started training Earth right after my first branch, and it was finally up and running (w/ FDR) at 11% after Zot:4.

Literally the first time I used shatter was Vaults:5 afterwards, and after two casts everything was dead. O_O

E: to be fair I did use a brilliance potion

You did V:5 after Zot?

Where'd you get your third rune? Abyss?

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I feel like slime is easier than V5 too as long as you're prepared or used to it.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I did slime, very slowly.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Not only am I phone posting but I don't really know how to use the irc bot. Can you see the most common place people die after collecting at least 2 runes? I feel like V5 would beat out zot or extended even.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

BeyondRad posted:

I feel like slime is easier than V5 too as long as you're prepared or used to it.

:agreed:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BeyondRad posted:

Not only am I phone posting but I don't really know how to use the irc bot. Can you see the most common place people die after collecting at least 2 runes? I feel like V5 would beat out zot or extended even.

!lg * !won !boring urune>1 s=place% posted:

(9:59:42 PM) Sequell: 48775 games for * (!won !boring urune>1): 5447x Vaults:5 (11.17%), 4092x Zot:5 (8.39%), 2853x Pan (5.85%), 2222x Slime:6 (4.56%), 2103x Elf:3 (4.31%), 1668x Vaults:4 (3.42%), 1519x Depths:2 (3.11%), 1288x Vaults:2 (2.64%), 1251x Abyss:1 (2.56%), 1239x Depths:3 (2.54%), 1170x Vaults:3 (2.40%), 1134x Depths:1 (2.32%), 1050x Vaults:1 (2.15%), 961x Depths:4 (1.97%), 920x Tomb:1 (1.89%), 860x Dis:7
(9:59:42 PM) Sequell: (1.76%), 735x Zot:1 (1.51%), 651x Slime:5 (1.33%), 649x Geh:7 (1.33%), 643x Coc:7 (1.32%), 639x Abyss:3 (1.31%), 611x Depths:5 (1.25%), 588x Zot:2 (1.21%), 515x Zot:4 (1.06%), 492x Vaults:8 (1.01%), 468x Zot:3 (0.96%), 457x Crypt:3 (0.94%), 454x Tomb:2 (0.93%), 405x Tomb:3 (0.83%), 389x Abyss (0.80%), 382x Hell (0.78%), 355x Abyss:4 (0.73%), 341x Abyss:5 (0.70%), 311x Crypt:1 (0.64%), 303x

plus a whole lot more poo poo with fewer deaths

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Vaults:8 being on that list tells me some of those V:5 deaths shouldn't count...but might tip the ratio even more.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Vaults:5 is probably the area I never have a good plan for the most. Too much poo poo can go wrong there for anything to be reliable on the average character. My best results come from reading a teleport scroll right away until you land in or near one of the corridors. You know when teleport RNG is what you're relying on things are hosed.

I still do Vaults:5 before slime or even depths most of the time though since I'm stubborn and refuse to change old habits.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Best vaults strategy is shatter. Second best is chain lightning tornado. Third best is vampiric executioners axe.

After that you start having to actually try, where randomly teleporting to get out of the center is a lot better than it sounds. I've had a pretty good success rate with it, I don't think I've died in V:5 since the change from V:8. I do save it until after depths though, I learned to give vaults a decent amount of respect after getting killed my first time there.

e: Really, crawl for me is just a long progression of getting murdered by things and then learning to pay attention to them.
Satyrs are another enemy I thought nothing about until I got brutalised by 40 damage arrows.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Single best strategy for V5 without a doubt is Qazlal, an amulet of Faith, and 27 Invocations. Wearing the shield of the Gong or having the Powered by Death mutation or other source of increased regeneration is recommended as well. Go down the stairs, apply disaster area until everything is dead. Step off of stairs.

Other fun strategies I've engaged in: go downstairs, recall Yred army / use Corrupt and take the Vaults for the Black Torch / Fury of the Abyss. Quaff brilliance, read immo, cast discord, casually walk away with an absurd stealth score like you had nothing to do with it. Triple Crossbow with Penetration bolts will wipe out several enemies at once, Formicids can use them with a large shield and act as armored artillery. Shatter also works extremely well... Ru's Apocalypse or Chei Slouch might do in a pinch.

Basically, the best way to handle V5 in my experience has been to completely disregard controlling your engagements and just duke it out in the center with as much firepower on as beefy a character as you can.

This might be part of why my winrate is 1.5% though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I suck at this game so much. :negative:

I was playing a tanky minotaur fighter. Cleared out down to the door to the depths, most of lair, was clearing Spider. Got to what I assume is the final vault, and was totally not prepared for that. I figure that's okay, I blink away and teleport to the rest of the level I was pretty sure I cleared. Oh wait, it turns out Mara was there all along! I actually made it to the up-stairs to bail, and died on the way up. :saddowns:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

For V:5 my favourite is scroll of immolation followed by shatter. I posted a screenshot of that a while ago, it's just this beautiful picture of my GrEE standing in the middle of enemies all blowing up from the inside.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
code:
     0 | D:1      | worldfamousw the Ogre Berserker began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 24/24 MP: 1/1
   208 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 29/32 MP: 2/2
   780 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 37/39 MP: 3/3
   786 | D:1      | Reached ** piety under Trog
   814 | D:1      | Noticed an ogre
   818 | D:1      | Killed an ogre
   818 | D:1      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 17/48 MP: 4/4
Already got me a giant club before end of D:1. Going to be a good game.

EDIT:
code:
K - a gold dragon armour.

Base armour rating: 12       Encumbrance rating: 23
Wearing mundane armour of this type will give the following: 12 AC

It can be maximally enchanted to +12.

You found it on level 6 of the Dungeon.
Something horrible is going to happen to me.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 2, 2016

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

World Famous W posted:

Something horrible is going to happen to me.

My money is that it's by the hand of Erlocha. Possibly with a randart GSC for maximum pain.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I'm not too sure how much damage claws adds to unarmed. Is a +1 pair of gloves (so +2 AC) worth losing the bonus damage from claws on my ghoul monk? I currently have 13 AC and 11 EV.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Claws are definitely better than gloves unless you have some crazy artefact gloves and even than I'd personally still go with claws. Its like only 2 base damage per rank of claws I think, but still, its base damage. I think.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

BeyondRad posted:

Claws are definitely better than gloves unless you have some crazy artefact gloves and even than I'd personally still go with claws. Its like only 2 base damage per rank of claws I think, but still, its base damage. I think.

Unarmed is weird. If you find gloves of strength though, they might be about the same, or at least worth considering depending on how much the AC / statboost helps you.

Really, melee damage is an arcane witchcraft that was never meant to be grasped by mortal minds. I hear speech on occasion of a mystical 'fsim' by which you can see your expected damage output versus yaks and stone giants, but how to obtain this information it a mystery.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The claws vs gloves debate is pretty situational. Like, if you could wear gloves on a Troll, you wouldn't, because holy poo poo claws 3 unarmed damage is bananas, but for other characters it's often a little less clear-cut.

Ghouls do hit harder unarmed without gloves, but a Ghoul with good ranged options might want the extra AC in some parts of the game since they could use unarmed mainly to mop up anything that survived their ranged attacks. I had a fistfighting Ghoul of Pakellas who wore gloves and a shield for a good part of the game; he was still pretty drat tough in melee, and his elevated defences often bought him the time he needed to use his Batman utility belt of gadgets to bullshit his way out of some really nasty situations. An extra few points of AC was more valuable to me than being able to kill stuff faster in melee on a character who could reliably kill a lot of stuff without closing to melee.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Personally, I only hold claws in high regards early in the game, when in unarmed is naturally inferior to a weapon. I've taken great maces through the endgame and beyond, and unarmed gets even better, so I'm not so concerned about optimizing damage- but don't tell any octopode transmitters of cheibriados that. Instead, I rather appreciate claws when they're closer to 66% more damage and the added accuracy helps too.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
What version finally scrapped weight? I played as a spriggan in 0,11 and noped right the hell out when I couldn't carry more than about 2 wands.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Discord frenzy doesn't stop a ironbrand convoker's recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

pathetic little tramp posted:

What version finally scrapped weight? I played as a spriggan in 0,11 and noped right the hell out when I couldn't carry more than about 2 wands.

0.15, I want to say. It wasn't that long ago as Crawl's versions go.

• Locked thread