Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Woolie Wool posted:

If you made Minsc a half-orc, he should have 19 STR.

I think my original plan was to give him a tome for it but i think i ended up changing my mind. i dunno, i'm not hardcore on the rules.

bongwizzard posted:

Edit: Strongly feel that Minsc should not have a goatee. I don't even like him much but come the gently caress on dude.

:shrug: I like to think it makes Edwin jealous.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I mean a half-orc doesn't have to have 19 STR, but he can and if you're modding companions, why not?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

:shrug: I like to think it makes Edwin jealous.

Ok, that is a legit RP reason.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vikar Jerome posted:

I think my original plan was to give him a tome for it but i think i ended up changing my mind. i dunno, i'm not hardcore on the rules.

A half orc can have 9 strength, the main benefit of them is that they can have 19.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Edit: Strongly feel that Minsc should not have a goatee. I don't even like him much but come the gently caress on dude.

Swarthier Minsc with hair is supposed to be more lore-consistent, apparently. It's the Thayvians who shave and tattoo their heads, so the Rasheman would shy away from that.
:goonsay:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

My memory of realms stuff is so faded at this point that I really only know the stuff touched on in the BG games and really only BG1 as my chronic restarting has meant that my bg1/bg2 time played ratio is like 80/20. If you had to pick the three or four best FR novels, what would they be?

Read the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy by Ed Greenwood. Ed wrote them to be a good introduction to the Realms, and they're a lot of fun. If you specifically want to read about Drizzt Do'Urden, start at the beginning with The Crystal Shard.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

rakovsky maybe posted:

Swarthier Minsc with hair is supposed to be more lore-consistent, apparently. It's the Thayvians who shave and tattoo their heads, so the Rasheman would shy away from that.
:goonsay:

I don't know enough to argue that point, but the breakdown of goatee wearers is like 5% Handsome and dashing/rakish dudes whom girls/boys swoon over and 95% idiots who think they are part of the 5%. So very much Edwin but not at at all Minsc.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Read the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy by Ed Greenwood. Ed wrote them to be a good introduction to the Realms, and they're a lot of fun. If you specifically want to read about Drizzt Do'Urden, start at the beginning with The Crystal Shard.

I lived/gamed through the 90's, Drizzt is forever tainted by the fanboys. I also found most of the other parts of the realms more interesting in any case. I recently found and reread The Wyvern's Spur, and got a huge kick out of it. I believe I read the rest of that series but only because I remember fighting with my friend the coolness of those dragon men guys.

They are not cool!

In any case I will check that series out. I am finding that pulpy novels are great at relaxing me before bedtime so I am looking for stuff to stock up on.

Actually game chat: I am in the middle of three consecutive SCS playthroughts of BG1 with an eye to playing them all through at least SoA over the next year or so. Is it the 2.0 patch that is killing mods or the new xpac? I was hoping to add it to these runs but it took weeks to get the game modded to my liking and to re-class all the NCPs the same, and I do not have the willpower to do it all again.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Woolie Wool posted:

I mean a half-orc doesn't have to have 19 STR, but he can and if you're modding companions, why not?

Wait til you find out i made Khalid a multiclass fighter/mage and left his INT at 15. :shrug:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Saurials are totally cool, sorry. *exudes smell of burnt bread*

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Saurials are totally cool, sorry. *exudes smell of burnt bread*

Shut up Justin, just because your mom buys you more books doesn't mean that you are right!

And then his mom went into some weird Christian phase and he had to give them all to me! So I won in the end!

Edit: In looking up what emotion brunt bread was, I was shocked to discover Azure Bonds was the first novel in the trilogy. I guess I read Wyvern's Spur first and just assumed AB was like a flashback or something? Maybe I was just hip to nontraditional narrative structure at an early age and just rolled with it. Life before the Internet was so full of mystery.

Also what do Saurial farts smell like, you must know? I know we discussed this at length back in the day.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 2, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Hey Kirk, your game is great.

Can you ask Beamdog to make it so stuff actually sticks though? I've turned subtitles off 4-5 times now and they keep happening. Also I've turned off "Lower difficulty when you load a save" 4-5 times now, and it hasn't stuck.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That honestly sounds like some config files somewhere are in read-only mode.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

bongwizzard posted:

Actually game chat: I am in the middle of three consecutive SCS playthroughts of BG1 with an eye to playing them all through at least SoA over the next year or so. Is it the 2.0 patch that is killing mods or the new xpac? I was hoping to add it to these runs but it took weeks to get the game modded to my liking and to re-class all the NCPs the same, and I do not have the willpower to do it all again.

For the life of me I cannot get BG Tweeks to work, though a full reinstall into a different directory of BG and some of the other mods seem to be working now. Mods that don't work give an error when installing, as opposed to just breaking and stopping the text from showing anything except "Invalid" or the language option not working and breaking the game from loading completely.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

For the life of me I cannot get BG Tweeks to work, though a full reinstall into a different directory of BG and some of the other mods seem to be working now. Mods that don't work give an error when installing, as opposed to just breaking and stopping the text from showing anything except "Invalid" or the language option not working and breaking the game from loading completely.

But is it the patch or the xpac? Like, do I need to make sure to not update my current versions or just not buy and install the xpac?

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Gearing up for my first run through the Enhanced Editions; plan to take the same character through BG1 and then the new expansion and then BG2. I've played the originals all the way through twice before, once as a Sorcerer and once as an Inquisitor. Looking for a really interesting class to play this time that would be different enough from those last two, especially for taking through the whole saga. Right now I'm torn on either trying a Ranger/Cleric multiclass or trying a Blade (I do plan on taking Haer'Dalis with me for most of BG2 though, so two Blades might be redundant). Suggestions?

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

But is it the patch or the xpac? Like, do I need to make sure to not update my current versions or just not buy and install the xpac?

The expansion is causing mods to break on Steam/GOG versions. The Beamdog version is apparently fine.

It's explained in this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49877/bgee-sod-directory-structure/p1.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Karmalaa70 posted:

The expansion is causing mods to break on Steam/GOG versions. The Beamdog version is apparently fine.

It's explained in this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49877/bgee-sod-directory-structure/p1.

Balls. At least it isn't just the 2.0 patch. I am still months away from beating BG1 with any of these runs.

I have found that consecutive runs are the way to go for dense RGPs. I don't feel the urge to 100% everything and have a more relax and fun time. I have huge issues with endlessly restarting games but this way I tend to naturally favor one group over the others, but can still switch back when my attention wanes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cirosan posted:

Gearing up for my first run through the Enhanced Editions; plan to take the same character through BG1 and then the new expansion and then BG2. I've played the originals all the way through twice before, once as a Sorcerer and once as an Inquisitor. Looking for a really interesting class to play this time that would be different enough from those last two, especially for taking through the whole saga. Right now I'm torn on either trying a Ranger/Cleric multiclass or trying a Blade (I do plan on taking Haer'Dalis with me for most of BG2 though, so two Blades might be redundant). Suggestions?

Avengers are fun, if a little squishy to start. If there's a mod that adds the IWD druid spells to BG and BG2 I'd throw that in.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well this is horrible news, I'm going to have to wait a while before I play Siege of Dragonspear.

In other news, I just finished the Dragon's Eye dungeon. I'm guessing Icewind Dale is not about to let up on kicking my rear end anytime soon.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Woolie Wool posted:

Well this is horrible news, I'm going to have to wait a while before I play Siege of Dragonspear.

Right? I was all set to try a solo ironman run :v:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Cirosan posted:

Ranger/cleric is just a fighter/cleric with level 1,2,3 druid spells, they fixed the bug where you get access to all druid spells. But you get to use maces and scimitars instead of just maces, there are shitloads of good blunt weapons in BG1 and BG2 so it would work out fine. Kensai-fighter-berserker/mage dual at 9 is pretty great if you never played one as a front line tank before, but the buffing is a little monotonous.

I'd suggest you try a solo run if you have never done one before, maybe a cleric/mage, cleric/thief, or illusionist/thief. If you don't mind removing the level cap then fighter/mage/thief solo is super fun too. Or you could compromise and do a 2 person run with any of the above and one other NPC for covering your blank spots that might be a pain in the butt, like a cleric/thief and fighter/mage/thief duo. A fun 2 man party that I've yet to try would be fighter/thief and cleric/mage, that would be pretty interesting imo.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No XP cap FMT is the ultimate power trip.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

cheesetriangles posted:

No XP cap FMT is the ultimate power trip.

No, for that you need to mod the thief to be a Shadowdancer. I have a three quarters completed run with a mage/Shadowdancer and it is a hoot. I'm trying to only kill the plot important characters, sort of a stabby-private detective thing. The Dagger of Venom is really an insanely powerful weapon.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

In other news, I just finished the Dragon's Eye dungeon. I'm guessing Icewind Dale is not about to let up on kicking my rear end anytime soon.

To be honest, I think the boss of the Dragon's Eye dungeon is the nastiest in game. Past this, you'll have enough levels to have serious options for dispatching what's up ahead. Mind, the game isn't gonna be a cake walk but the Dragon's Eye boss is a real doozy.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Metal Meltdown posted:

To be honest, I think the boss of the Dragon's Eye dungeon is the nastiest in game. Past this, you'll have enough levels to have serious options for dispatching what's up ahead. Mind, the game isn't gonna be a cake walk but the Dragon's Eye boss is a real doozy.

Yeah even with kits on hard that guy is really difficult to take down, you have to cheese the hell out of it. There are a few others that are just as hard tho.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Cirosan posted:

Jester. Bounty Hunter. Dark moon monk. There's some neat options in all three. Jester is just a normal bard except for the always-available confusion song. BH traps are cheesy but fun. Monk goes from poo poo-tier to godly through the trilogy.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Washout posted:

Ranger/cleric is just a fighter/cleric with level 1,2,3 druid spells, they fixed the bug where you get access to all druid spells.

They moved it to an ini setting that defaults off. It's on in my games. :)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Whoa, Baldur's Gate 2 EE has been updated too (I assume that it's similar to the BG1EE/SoD changes.) Thankfully, my save games weren't corrupted.

Observations:
* I see why people were upset about the character sheet changes, because it's kind of messy and cluttered with some redundant stuff (why do I need a list of my inventory items?).
* I noticed that instead of the typical little scroll that unrolls when you hit TAB over an item, it's now a simple box. There's also no sound effect when you click to look at items in you inventory.
*A little popup box appears whenever you move to the next stage of a quest.
*The feedback window no longer has buttons to adjust the height; now you just grab the top of the box and slide it up or down to the appropriate height. *Spells are now listed alphabetically, and are much easier to parse through.
*The map screen now zooms out and fills the entire screen, which looks much nicer, in my opinion.

I had the auto-Story Mode setting issue too (I got an achievement for it, since it raised my strength to 25). I wonder if it happens if you load from quick-saves, because I haven't died since it updated.

bongwizzard posted:

I lived/gamed through the 90's, Drizzt is forever tainted by the fanboys. I also found most of the other parts of the realms more interesting in any case. I recently found and reread The Wyvern's Spur, and got a huge kick out of it. I believe I read the rest of that series but only because I remember fighting with my friend the coolness of those dragon men guys.

They are not cool!

In any case I will check that series out. I am finding that pulpy novels are great at relaxing me before bedtime so I am looking for stuff to stock up on.

Is there a thread for D&D novels? I've picked up a couple of the novels like The Crystal Shard, and Autumn Twilight (which I know is Dragonlance book), but I haven't really gotten around to reading them yet. I was hoping to find a thread over in The Book Barn where I could find some recommendations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not sure I get all the complaints about this feeling like fan fiction. I'm loving it so far. It's the same cheesy/hammy fantasy adventure it's always been and I love the interface changes. I'm a huge fan of this expansion so far!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wow. I got the steam key for Dragonspear and it has completely broken the conversations...well ah...it's insane.

That's all said by everyone in a high pitched Gnomes voice. And that Hill Giant is the guy next to the sunken house south of Berghost. Who is not a hill giant. He IS mad though, but, err...what?

The update for the full DLC (as opposed to 2.0 patch) has swapped every single conversation around that anyone says with what looks like a random line from the expansion instead. I think it's because the Steam version dosn't work with any mods at all, because Beamdog never tested it with the Steam or GOG version.

This says to not install Steam or GOG version of SOD until you finish BG:EE. Looks like I need to uninstall SOD, delete local game content, redownload BG:EE, reinstall mods (the ones that work), finish BG:EE (ha!) and then install SOD.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

ritorix posted:

Jester. Bounty Hunter. Dark moon monk. There's some neat options in all three. Jester is just a normal bard except for the always-available confusion song. BH traps are cheesy but fun. Monk goes from poo poo-tier to godly through the trilogy.

Been playing BGEE with a Bounty Hunter and can confirm they're fun as hell. The traps are amazing and backstabbing is a hoot.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Max Wilco posted:

Is there a thread for D&D novels? I've picked up a couple of the novels like The Crystal Shard, and Autumn Twilight (which I know is Dragonlance book), but I haven't really gotten around to reading them yet. I was hoping to find a thread over in The Book Barn where I could find some recommendations.

If there is, I would like to know as well. If I can throw in a suggestion, Ed Greenwood wrote a novel called "Spellfire" that was quite good. Elminster is of course the benevolent father figure self-insert who the ladies adore (this is the novel where he first ends up romantically involved with the Simbul), but there is a lot of adventure with genuinely good characterisation and real human motivations. This was the first book in an eventual trilogy where, sadly, the second book was not nearly as good and the third was outright horrible.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Not sure I get all the complaints about this feeling like fan fiction. I'm loving it so far. It's the same cheesy/hammy fantasy adventure it's always been and I love the interface changes. I'm a huge fan of this expansion so far!

Yeah i'm changing my opinion on it. I think it was all the forced foreshadowing early that was bugging me. I'm digging it now.

Also Pwnstar is right, Jim Cummings is bringing his loving A game.

Found something interesting with modding potential, i ended up starting a fresh new game in SoD but i imported my character via save rather than character file, like in BG2. Before, it used to be just your main dude who got imported over and everything else reset but it seems like with patch 2.0 most of the bgt characters i had picked up, modded included, somehow managed to survive in out of party, they kept everything, stats and their local variables. all except the default starting party of SoD.
This meant when i found viconia in SoD it was her BGT version of her bg2 character which had her voice set all hosed up and invailded but she was still a cleric/mage that i had modded her to and she had all her loving items i had left her with after a raid through Durlag's. I had to edit my save file to reset her due to the gently caress ups though, edwin too since it's more a problem of the way bgt used the bg2 characters for the bg1 part of the game.

I haven't tested fully but it's making me wonder if the SoD/bg2 import is similar now, making consistent character transfers possible without having to use BGT or EEkeeper, that would be cool.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 3, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The main annoyance I have with SoD writing/story-wise is how heavily it pushes Irenicus. At first I disliked it just because it was unnecessary and kinda makes the PC not recognize him in BG2 seem dumb. But then he just kept showing up in dreams and everything to the point where it also becomes veeeeery conspicuous that he suddenly goes from nowhere to be seen to CHARNAME's biggest stalker over the course of a couple nights or whatever. Since there's not much of a time-skip between beating Sarevok and the SoD content at all, it just comes off as really weird that you never met him before. With BG1 -> BG2 I just figured that he was somewhere else but got his attention caught by CHARNAME beating Sarevok, and spent months moving and plotting to capture you before putting his plans into action instead.

Also, while Corwin is great and goblin-lady is okay, the other two companions are pretty annoying. But I won't hold that against it since the originals had Tiax and Garrick and Xan and Jan and...

Other than that I've enjoyed it a lot so far. Story's fine, characters are at least BG2 quality so far I'd say and there's a lot more personality and stuff going on than in BG1. I suppose if you were the kinda person who preferred 1 to 2, the lack of exploration and wilderness areas to explore won't satisfy though. But the few dungeons I've seen have been great quality. It IS a bit weird to run into IWD creatures everywhere though.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
So Khalid just asked for some spider silk...the problem is, I've already cleared out a cave full of spiders/beetles, where I assume you would have to go for that.

I guess I should just move on anyway, see if there's some silk to get in the next few areas? These companion quests seem a bit strange that way, like I'm never really sure if I should try to power through the main plot to get them and then do their side stuff, or just do whatever.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm really getting fed up with Icewind Dale. It throws ludicrous numbers of enemies at me and refuses to hand out any good CC spells. I can't keep enemies contained by my tanks, they just spill around into my backline and there's nothing I can do, and the enemies in the Severed Hand cheat by appearing out of nowhere. And of course they're ghosts so they're immune to confusion.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 3, 2016

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm really getting fed up with Icewind Dale. It throws ludicrous numbers of enemies at me and refuses to hand out any good CC spells. I can't keep enemies contained by my tanks, they just spill around into my backline and there's nothing I can do, and the enemies in the Severed Hand cheat by appearing out of nowhere. And of course they're ghosts so they're immune to confusion.

Turn undead, laugh heartily as the ghosts explode or run away

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

PurplieNurplie posted:

So Khalid just asked for some spider silk...the problem is, I've already cleared out a cave full of spiders/beetles, where I assume you would have to go for that.

I guess I should just move on anyway, see if there's some silk to get in the next few areas? These companion quests seem a bit strange that way, like I'm never really sure if I should try to power through the main plot to get them and then do their side stuff, or just do whatever.

Theres another place to find Spider Silk later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

kujeger posted:

Turn undead, laugh heartily as the ghosts explode or run away

I guess I'll try that, I've never had a lot of luck with Turn Undead.

Meanwhile I've gone back to Throne of Bhaal and here it feels like I have no options either, because every option boils down to some variety of "all my enemies instantly die". Holy poo poo is my party OP.