Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
We Hate Movies updated its episodes page, and I'm pretty sure they loaded all the episodes that had been locked behind some defunct subscription service on it. I've listened to all their episodes but the locked ones, and a lot of those WHM On-Screen and Animation Damnation episodes look new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
WHM is really bad at monetizing their poo poo, I would've gladly paid them like 3 bucks a month to just give me a password-protected RSS instead of that weird app they were on.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I thought their old eps were just "locked" because they used to use intro and outro songs that they didn't have the rights to. I thought you could always get them all on the website, just not the itunes/RSS feeds.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The WHM episodes were always available on that page, I've been listening to old ones a lot recently; the Animation Damnations and Side Orders of Sleaze and On-Screen things are new to the web site, previously available via a real lovely app called the Podcast Box or something for a one-time $3. They mentioned a few months ago that they hadn't updated any content behind the paywall for a while because they were planning to do something like maybe a Patreon.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Patreon's the way to go. They take their ten percent and stay the gently caress out of the way. Plus no one asks you technical questions when they can't figure out how to download from it or whatever.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

theironjef posted:

Patreon's the way to go. They take their ten percent and stay the gently caress out of the way. Plus no one asks you technical questions when they can't figure out how to download from it or whatever.

Yeah. Here, I'll plan it for them: lock mailbags and/or Animation Damnnation behind $5/month. Have some kind of listener participation events, like live streaming of riffing on a movie, for $10/month. Give patreon subscribers free access to all the commentaries at some level.

Done! I'd gladly pay $5/month for Animation Damnation alone.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've gotten the impression that the WHM guys really aren't interested in monetizing the podcast that much. Like, they have a store, but they never mention it, and they don't seem interested in doing a paywall or subscription thing.

e: That's not to say I wouldn't adverse to supporting them if they got a Patreon or something, but that doesn't seem to be the road they want to go down.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The main problem with the app was that it kept crashing and losing my place in episodes I was listening to, so I'm glad it's gone forever now.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think Andrew said a few eps ago that they are setting up a patreon later this year

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
lol you guys THE OLD EPISODES DIDN'T SHOW UP IN MY FEED SO THEY MUST HAVE BEEN LOCKED AWAY

they mention that their older eps are available on the site all the loving time too

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

lol you guys THE OLD EPISODES DIDN'T SHOW UP IN MY FEED SO THEY MUST HAVE BEEN LOCKED AWAY

they mention that their older eps are available on the site all the loving time too
Except no-one's actually saying that and they're talking about the Animation Damnations and Side Orders of Sleaze that were previously only on either PodcastBox (or whatever it is/was called) or Bandcamp.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Illinois Smith posted:

Look how dumb you are.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Andrew's inability to handle this Bee Movie thing is great

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rodyle posted:

Andrew's inability to handle this Bee Movie thing is great

Can you believe that rear end in a top hat brought a wasp?!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Gary is the loving worst.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
gently caress you Gary.

Also I really hope the Bee Movie Podcast comes back as a joke whenever they do Bee Movie.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Despite, or maybe because of there being nothing to the movie that was there best WHM in a long time IMO.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Yeah, I was like "is this a really great episode or am I just in a good mood or something?"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Any time they do a cyberthriller it's a home run. I'd go so far as to say cyberthrillers are their third best genre, behind "white guy karate movies" in second and "anything that's supposed to be charming or funny but is actually reprehensible" in first.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DoombatINC posted:

...and "anything that's supposed to be charming or funny but is actually reprehensible" in first.

So basically any of their Belushi episodes then?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Tracula posted:

The entire James Belushi oeuvre qualifies, as does One Magic Christmas, Babycakes, Addicted to Love, Jack Frost, Mrs Doubtfire, Eight Crazy Nights, Pippi Longstocking, Blame it on Rio...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tracula posted:

Or anything that's a "romantic comedy", like Babycakes or Addicted to Love.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm completely obsessed with the Bee Movie Podcast.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

The entire James Belushi oeuvre qualifies, as does One Magic Christmas, Babycakes, Addicted to Love, Jack Frost, Mrs Doubtfire, Eight Crazy Nights, Pippi Longstocking, Blame it on Rio...

The Mating Habits of the Earth Bound Human should be in there too. I re-listened to that the other day and holy poo poo that movie is just the worst.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HoAssHo posted:

The Mating Habits of the Earth Bound Human should be in there too. I re-listened to that the other day and holy poo poo that movie is just the worst.

It also gave us Racist Luke Skywalker

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It also gave us Racist Luke Skywalker

He learned a lot from his grandfather Cliegg and his shaved ewok bride.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
While it's wildly hit or miss, the fact that it fills in gap weeks on Flop House by also being biweekly means I dig Movie Fighters, especially given that their theme-based choices of films means they tend to hit things a lot of the others won't. I only wish that some of their first "season" of pay-only episodes were available now that they're Patreon backed, because stuff like "we're going to go through all the awful asian near-bootleg adaptations of fighting games" were pretty drat good.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
WHM interrupted Listener Request Month for an emergency show on BvS

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What's weird is that Movie Mastery did the exact same thing on the same day.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
WHM explained it well IMO, the movie was fresh in their minds, they knew it would be nominated to high heaven as a "Worst of 2016" pick, and they didn't want to watch it again in 9~ months. So they squeezed it in this week.

Plus, it makes more sense to strike while the iron's hot on a movie this hotly debated, something released months from now will just feel entirely regurgitated even it is isn't.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
oh my god you guys, i am watching worst movie on tcm for whm and have to write it down somewhere the next time listener request month rolls around. it's called wanda nevada, and it makes blame it on rio look like harold and maude

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What's weird is that Movie Mastery did the exact same thing on the same day.

We literally had someone offer us twenty bucks to go watch it and review it. It's low-rent, but so are we. I love how the WHM one is almost completely different (and yet still dead on) complaints than ours.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

theironjef posted:

We literally had someone offer us twenty bucks to go watch it and review it. It's low-rent, but so are we. I love how the WHM one is almost completely different (and yet still dead on) complaints than ours.

Some movies you need an Ocean's Eleven-esque team to dissect everything terrible about them.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Goddamn that WHM was great. Two really good ones in a row (I've never not liked any WHM episode though, to be fair). The ones where they're just laughing their asses off the whole time are the best. You really feel like you're listening in on some good friends telling another friend about this lovely movie they saw.

Steve leaning away from the mic to yell "it's so...loving STUPID!" killed me.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

HoAssHo posted:

Goddamn that WHM was great. Two really good ones in a row (I've never not liked any WHM episode though, to be fair). The ones where they're just laughing their asses off the whole time are the best. You really feel like you're listening in on some good friends telling another friend about this lovely movie they saw.

Steve leaning away from the mic to yell "it's so...loving STUPID!" killed me.

I listened to the Ford Fairlane episode the other day and the part when they're all cracking up to the point of tears by trying to one-up each other about how to torture and kill a koala was one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my life. And yeah like you said, it's just like a group of friends shittalking with each other. Probably because it is, heh

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I listened to the Ford Fairlane episode the other day and the part when they're all cracking up to the point of tears by trying to one-up each other about how to torture and kill a koala was one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my life. And yeah like you said, it's just like a group of friends shittalking with each other. Probably because it is, heh

Which episode was this? I couldn't find it on my RSS feed.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

chaos rhames posted:

Which episode was this? I couldn't find it on my RSS feed.

39. My feed starts at 109.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I hate how they do that. Found it online.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

chaos rhames posted:

I hate how they do that. Found it online.

They had no say in it, it was an iTunes or rss who forced the change on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Yeah sorry, should have mentioned it's only on the website. I've been catching up from episode 2 and I'm impressed with how quickly they found their groove. Other than the use of copyrighted music and the occasional snippet of movie dialogue there's not much difference between episode 20-ish and the newest ones