Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Asylum Visitor is an insane card. Ignore all its text and its a fine card, include one line and its a decent card, all of it together is goddamn insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

LGS owner sick so no prerelease. :(

I should just switch to online probably. I barely get to play paper as it is.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

A big flaming stink posted:

Asylum Visitor is an insane card. Ignore all its text and its a fine card, include one line and its a decent card, all of it together is goddamn insane.

One might say it's...

Madness.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A big flaming stink posted:

Its a shame that this card didn't playtest as well as I hoped. If the card had flying it would genuinely insane, as is though it doesn't seem to be any better than just good. It often sits on the board and does nothing since it has no evasion. It often doesn't draw you cards until turns 5-8. There was plenty of times I would have preferred another draw spell instead of this card like read the bones or something. As it stands its kind of outclassed by heir of falkenrath pretty hard.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Played startled awake and opponent reveals 7 of his 8 mountains. No mountain in or on the board. :laffo:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

After noon prerelease, we're doing a Farewell to Khans draft. With cake!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Built RW beat down.

Rares were deathcap cultivator, ulvenwald hydra, ever after, drown yard temple, sin prodder, and Gitrog monster. Promo was eerie interlude.

I think a GB Deck was there but I was running outta time

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Promo was Sage of Ancient Lore.

Also, Haunted Cloak seems like a good idea to have.

Somehow I'm running RGU.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Won a game with triskaidekaphobia, even if I lose every other game, I still feel like I won something.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Opened promo Olivia and a Anguished Unmaking, and that Janky Mythic Hydra.

My red green and blue were all bonkers good except it was all so thin I couldn't make good decks with any of it, BW was okay with said Unmaking, [b]three[/b] Gisa's Biddings, a bunch of cheap humans and two of those 5/3 Delirium Menace Hounds.

Got run over by BR Vampires + Werewolves with Endless Removal and a better version of my BW deck.

0-2 drop, and I'll probably be going to another event tomorrow so oh well.

I just want to make an Olivia EDH deck and just call it A Horrible Knight to Have a Curse.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I just got Arlin in my prerelease pack but not a whole lot of good low cost cards so I think I'm going to get smoked against faster decks. Got a lot of flip cards though so at least it'll be interesting.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I had to choose in my pool between a G/W Slayer's Plate deck with win conditions, and a do-nothing Grixis deck with a ton of removal and Tamiyo's Journal. Obviously I went with the latter.

Best cards for me were Mad Prophet, the Journal, and Accursed Witch.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Cactrot posted:

Won a game with triskaidekaphobia, even if I lose every other game, I still feel like I won something.

They should give you packs for that alone. You at CK?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Worked 'til 8 am. Woke up at 5 PM. Best prerelease experience I've ever had.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I traded a promo relentless dead for a new w Sorin. How horrible of an idea was this

Owithey
Aug 16, 2009
Just got back from a pre-release and went 4-1 (my best ever) with this pile. Lost the final match 2-1 when the drat crows milled my direct damage spell when he was at 3 life, still had a great time. Heir of Falkenrath into madness card can just sometimes win the game on the spot and Arlinn is a serious bomb. I got lucky opening a good BR deck, I saw lots of people going to time with Gx or Ux decks in the room. At the top tables everyone seemed to be BR or WR.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do people really think Relentless Dead is going to be a huge thing in Standard? I opened a foil one and I feel like I should try to ditch it now while I can.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Do people really think Relentless Dead is going to be a huge thing in Standard? I opened a foil one and I feel like I should try to ditch it now while I can.

As a general proposition you should sell everything at Prerelease. But Relentless Dead goes in a deck that is bad.

I think the most underrated card is Thalia's Lieutenant, though. Human Tribal doesn't have to do very much to be good because Human is a default creature type. That doesn't mean the card is going to get expensive. It's not flashy like Westvale Abbey. But Thalia's Lieutenant, Hanweir Miltia Captain and Westvale Abbey are really fun together.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 2, 2016

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

I did. Sold my pack foil for $35 on ebay

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

They should give you packs for that alone. You at CK?

Yep, ended up going 2-1-1 with WB "all the removal"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went 3-0-1 today with BW humans. Got that +4/+2 equipment, Thalia's Lieutenant, Sorin, and Ever After (which is a bomb in limited) alongside a giant pile of removal. Opened up my 6 packs and got yet more WB goodstuff so it looks like I'm going for BW control now! :buddy:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Went 3-1 today with BR Vamps/Wolves playing Olivia, Sin Prodder and a lot of madness enablers/discard removal. Opened a Thing in the Ice with my prize packs and traded into some westvale abbeys because that card is bonkers. Not sure an exact place where it's going to go, even in some kind of thopter/hangarback based strategy or some kind of WG Humans shell.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

My RUG deck got me all the way to a 0-3. But ah well, sealed is usually fickle anyways.

That and a huge lack of removal.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I'm thinking of going to a paper prerelease for the first time in forever tomorrow. Is there a good guide to this sealed format written?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sharzak posted:

I traded a promo relentless dead for a new w Sorin. How horrible of an idea was this

Sorin is almost certainly a much better and more valuable card than Relentless Dead

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So, opposing werewolves magnify the problems of early mana screw? If you're unable to cast a spell, you're going to be bashed all the harder.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Highlights of the pre-release was beating a guy 2-0 who had 2 Startled awakes. Second game I was down to 1 card in my library. Luckily I never saw two of them.

Went 4-0 and we split the pot.
Played a red blue heavy aggro deck with two nephalia Moondrakes for late game.

All of the blue draw has you discard a card, which just allowed me to play madness. This set is a blast in limited.

Edit: Also never saw an opponent once flip a werewolf.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

clamiam45 posted:

I'm thinking of going to a paper prerelease for the first time in forever tomorrow. Is there a good guide to this sealed format written?

http://www.channelfireball.com/home/the-shadows-over-innistrad-prerelease-primer/

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rinkles posted:

So, opposing werewolves magnify the problems of early mana screw? If you're unable to cast a spell, you're going to be bashed all the harder.

Yeah, any time I played against early werewolf drops it was just pain.

Opened Mindrack Demon, Westvale Abbey, To the Slaughter, Burn From Within, Accursed Witch, Kindly Stranger, and a bunch of vamps, so I went BR. Made some bad plays and ended up 1-2, but Delirium is a much better mechanic than it seems at first glance (easy to turn on) and syncs pretty well with all the madness Vamp guys.

Might do another one tomorrow, this sealed environment was super fun to play in, although a bit faster than I expected.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Nice, thanks for the info.

Anybody else planning on going to Channel Fireball Game Center?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Had a really good match with LSV y'all. Lost.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Went 3-1 in my first prerelease ever. Played RG human/werewolves, and only lost to my mirror match. My last two opponents played UG clues and some 5 colour mess with like 5 one drops though, and neither went anywhere and stalled horribly.

Got five prize packs, opened Gitrog and foil Jace (and Geralf's Masterpiece but whatever.) I'm thinking I should quit while I'm ahead and never do a prerelease again.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Didn't look at the set before hand. Made a sweet Investigate deck and killed people with the 1-mana cost spell that buffs a dude for how many clues you have. 10/10 for this set, would clue again.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deckit posted:

Didn't look at the set before hand. Made a sweet Investigate deck and killed people with the 1-mana cost spell that buffs a dude for how many clues you have. 10/10 for this set, would clue again.

You lived the dream.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This set is rad and rattlechains flashing in uninvited geist is the most fun I've had in limited since drafting the UG morph deck in 3xktk. I had some weird goddamn UG flash deck, basically, featuring 2 pack guardians, 2 storm spirits, a geist, a rattlechains, and various spirits.

Went 3-1, lost to a grixis madness deck with all three of the x-cost madness spells, beat BW control, RG werewolves, WG humans

Jen X fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 3, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Played UWb control first, black was a splash just get get some discard outlets like Call the Bloodlines. Didn't do fantastically, but got a mill win off Startled Awake.

Second prerelease I went with BW synergistic agro. I will echo that Asylum Visitor is crazy good, and I had Odric, Militia Captain and From Under the Floorboards too. I think won a match swinging with Odric and a bunch of flying, skulking, deathtouching lifelinkers.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Went 2-1 in an event capped at 3 rounds. Promo was the werewolf that, when flipped, flips other werewolves automatically. Then I pulled a SECOND copy of it in packs.

Unfortunately I had no good green werewolves so I went RW humans with 2 Lightning Axe and 3 Fiery Tempers. Lost in the final round to BG "All the removal" who managed to pull 2 Gitrog Monsters.

The only mythic I pulled from packs was the lovely Hydra so I traded it away for a dozen playable commons/uncommons (3x Heir of the Night, 1x Fiery temper for the playset, the full cycle of uncommon delirium guys for my cube, and one rare - Forgotten Creation - again for the cube).

Looking forward to tomorrow's 2HG pre release - the format is actually a little more nuanced that I figured since it gives you a lot of things to do that ISN'T casting spells (to allow werewolves to flip). 2HG will potentially make the RG werewolf archetype unplayable, however.

e: The best creatures for me were the 1/1 haste werewolf for R and the haste wolf that pumps. Both single-handedly won me games.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Deckit posted:

DangerDongs posted:

You lived the dream.
Twenty-nine clues.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Night Danger Moose posted:

Twenty-nine clues.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

vandalism posted:

I kept trying to get through but he had the black enchantment that lets you pay 1 and discard a card to make a 1/1 lifelink guy and I just couldn't get goddamn through.

That card was amazing - singlehandedly let me stabilize in the low single digits in two separate games today that I ultimately won. I think with madness and graveyard recursion stuff that could be a constructed card.

• Locked thread