Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

I wasn't posting that list for a critique, just to illustrate how that RoW's restrictions would work in practice. It's a lovely example I tossed together just to hit 1850 and abide by the RoW's restrictions while showcasing units that would benefit from it.

The real strengths are BS5 squadrons and tank hunter with acid shot on your dreadnaughts. When it comes to tanks, I think the best one to take advantage of the BS5 are vindicators with laser destroyers. A squadron of those at BS5 with machine spirits will own the poo poo out of armour. BS5 predators or medusas are nice, but I don't think they get as much from the BS5. As for dreadnaughts, they get a real big buff with tank hunter and fear. A dodo dread's missile system now has a really good chance to take down a rhino chassis each turn. A leviathan with a melta lance is basically a hard counter to any armour. Even the humble mortis dread gets perks out of it. I think the key here is to spend most of your points on dreadnaughts to take advantage of their perks and bring a tank squadron to fill a specific role like anti armour or artillery:

Troops:
-Tacticool Squad, Rhino, x2 Combi Weapons, AA, Extra Combat Weapons, Power Weapon- 245
-Tacticool Squad, Rhino, x2 Combi Weapons, AA, Extra Combat Weapons, Power Weapon- 245

Elites:
-Mortis Dreadnaught, x2 Twin Heavy Bolters, Acid Shot- 135

Heavy Support:
-Two Vindicators, Laser Destroyer, Machine Spirit- 310
-Dodo, Missile Launcher, Acid Shot- 225

That's 1295 on the nose. You need an HQ and maybe another scoring unit, but you have 555 points to get there. At around 2000 points I'd go with three vindicators and maybe a leviathan in a pod. Veterans with acid bolters in a rhino is a good troops option, but its gonna cost a lot. You probably want your HQ's bodyguard to be your third troops choice (or terminators), but it's not really necessary. Scoring is less important in 30k I think, but thats up to you to decide. If you have extra points upgreydd your mortis dreads into contemptors.

It's a pretty solid core for an army. You have lots of interceptor with a really good chance to murder anyone caught in the open. The dodo does the same thing, and gives you anti air support. The vindicators will probably kill a spartan each turn too.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

actually no game using the wh40k rules is good at sub 2k points, unless you mortgage your home and buy the million dollar barbie zone mortalis battle crunch antechamber, in which case zone mortalis is cool

Must be hard, being so wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

god damnit stanyer

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I think the broken knife really captures the image.
Also why not use the loving terminator assault cannons or even the rotor guns.
Stupid blood Angels.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Jesus the Power Glaive the White Scars get is good.

I mean it's great that the Emperor's Children got a boost but it really like we pay sliiiightly more for the Phoenix Spear which is only AP2 on the charge. Also only characters can get it, whereas even the Sergeants can get the Power Glaive.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

BULBASAUR posted:

god damnit stanyer

Hey! My phosphex is up here!

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Recoome posted:

Jesus the Power Glaive the White Scars get is good.

I mean it's great that the Emperor's Children got a boost but it really like we pay sliiiightly more for the Phoenix Spear which is only AP2 on the charge. Also only characters can get it, whereas even the Sergeants can get the Power Glaive.

loyalist bias.

Does anyone know where to get a little metal version of the traitor and loyalist icons they use in the books? I've settled on what im going to do for a league im running and for the winning side's voted in MVP (the Warmaster, as it were) I want to surprise them with a little icon for whichever side they are on. A quick ebay search got me nothing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Try etsy. Some people do 40k brass etch on there

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Build a metalsmithing station and do it yourself. You'll literally be forging your own narrative!!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

BuffaloChicken posted:

Very nice Dread paintjob, so I want to make sure you get the name right - the correct rattlesnake genus name is Crotalus, so "Cro Talus" for your guy.

(Did my undergrad in zoology.)

Thanks. I didn't put the first name on the sarcophagus so nothing to fix there, but I will make sure to refer to him as Cro.

Finished The First Heretic, liked it a bunch. Now I'm reading Deliverance Lost. It has Alpharius in it. Apparently he's the shortest primarch.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

The real strengths are BS5 squadrons and tank hunter with acid shot on your dreadnaughts. When it comes to tanks, I think the best one to take advantage of the BS5 are vindicators with laser destroyers. A squadron of those at BS5 with machine spirits will own the poo poo out of armour. BS5 predators or medusas are nice, but I don't think they get as much from the BS5. As for dreadnaughts, they get a real big buff with tank hunter and fear. A dodo dread's missile system now has a really good chance to take down a rhino chassis each turn. A leviathan with a melta lance is basically a hard counter to any armour. Even the humble mortis dread gets perks out of it. I think the key here is to spend most of your points on dreadnaughts to take advantage of their perks and bring a tank squadron to fill a specific role like anti armour or artillery:

Troops:

Elites:

Heavy Support:
-Two Vindicators, Laser Destroyer, Machine Spirit- 310
-Dodo, Missile Launcher, Acid Shot- 225

That's 1295 on the nose. You need an HQ and maybe another scoring unit, but you have 555 points to get there. At around 2000 points I'd go with three vindicators and maybe a leviathan in a pod. Veterans with acid bolters in a rhino is a good troops option, but its gonna cost a lot. You probably want your HQ's bodyguard to be your third troops choice (or terminators), but it's not really necessary. Scoring is less important in 30k I think, but thats up to you to decide. If you have extra points upgreydd your mortis dreads into contemptors.

It's a pretty solid core for an army. You have lots of interceptor with a really good chance to murder anyone caught in the open. The dodo does the same thing, and gives you anti air support. The vindicators will probably kill a spartan each turn too.
All this is well and good and I think you mean well, but this just won't work with that Rite of War. Half of the units have to be tanks. That's what I was trying to illustrate with that dumb "tank points" bullshit earlier. The two mortis dreadnoughts, deredeo, and the required HQ would need four "pure" non-transport tank units to compensate for them. Only three are possible and require all of the heavy support slots. One of them has to go to the HQ, leaving two. Taking a deredeo or leviathan would take up a heavy slot that would unlock another non-tank unit and require a tank themselves, leaving no other possible options. Mortis dreadnoughts are an inefficient use of a slot as they don't come in talons though I would definitely be tempted to take a kheres mortis contemptor with tank hunter. That just sounds legit. Acid shells are awesome, but I don't think they're worth focusing on in this case. The Ravenwing Rite of War, however...

This is not a tank Rite of War. This thing is really meant for mechanized infantry. There are neat tank and dreadnought bonuses, but I think it's clear they are not the focus and are only meant as support. Sniper vets and seekers are the way to go.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

panascope posted:

Build a metalsmithing station and do it yourself. You'll literally be forging your own narrative!!

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

panascope posted:

Damnit man, I'm a carpenter not a blacksmith!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

All this is well and good and I think you mean well, but this just won't work with that Rite of War.

I was just giving you hope so I could rub salt into how bad you've got it.

That's what you DA players get for betraying the emperor- badly designed mechanics and a super powerful fear causing relic.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Could use the onslaught FoC. Get those 4 heavy support slots.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
can't use rites with the optional focs iirc

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I was just giving you hope so I could rub salt into how bad you've got it.

That's what you DA players get for betraying the emperor- badly designed mechanics and a super powerful fear causing relic.
:negative:

At least Iron Warriors* have a legion to look down upon now.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
iron warriors are only bad if you're playing an officially licensed Bulbasaur Balanced Campaign where there aren't shooting casualties and his iron hands have bolters that are strength 9 or something

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Real talk for a second, has anyone played either as or against a 30k Knight Questoris army? Fun/not fun/"please kill me"?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it'd probably depend a lot on how much AT your opponent is willing to bring. it could be fun to have an AT-centric list play against one but for the most part any time i ran my knights in 30k it felt, a lot like it did in 40k, that i'm more like playing a game AT someone and not really 'with' them

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Knight Questoris is up there with adlance thanks to the buffs you give all your knights. Questoris and the super friends FOC are probs the 2 most beardy army lists for 30k

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Super friends FoC? The Leviathan one?

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 4, 2016

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm putting together Calth marines, was going for White Scars but gently caress painting white and I don't have an airbrush. Sticking with Thousand Sons.

Without any book I have no idea how I want these Calth guys put together. I know they'll probably like the reapers and be more shooty, butt what should I equip the sergeant with? That among other questions.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm putting together Calth marines, was going for White Scars but gently caress painting white and I don't have an airbrush. Sticking with Thousand Sons.

Without any book I have no idea how I want these Calth guys put together. I know they'll probably like the reapers and be more shooty, butt what should I equip the sergeant with? That among other questions.

Battlescribe will let you put together lists fairly easily without the books.

30k tacticals come with a bolter and a bolt pistol. You can choose to swap their bolters for chainswords for free or you can pay a bit extra to give them chainswords in addition to bolters.

For sarge, a power fist, artificer armor, and a vexilla is a good start. I usually put the vexilla on the sergeant. I don't think there are nuncio-vox bits in Calth, but you could model one of your guys with a comms antenna if you wanted. A melta-bomb is a possible cheap add-on for sarge at 5 points.

I think it's lame from a fluff and modeling perspective to always equip sarge with a powerfist, so you can choose from: combi-weapon, heavy chainsword, lightning claw, plasma pistol, and power weapon. But you can't take a plasma pistol and a melee upgrade, only one from the list.

Did any of you enter the "Win a Titan" contest? Here was my entry.

Titan Name: "Lacrimis Taranis", Tears of Taranis
Legion: Legio Ignatum

Prior to the onset of the Horus Heresy it was not uncommon for scions of the noble Knightly Houses to meet in diplomatic consultation on conveniently located forge worlds. These conclaves enabled the knights to share tactical knowledge and swap tales and boasts of epic conquest, strengthening their bonds should two or more houses serve together in battle.

So it was that one such meet was held on Mars at the great citadel of Legio Ignatum shortly before that fell event now known as the Death of Innocence. To mark the day, the honorable hosts Legio Ignatum unveiled a newly fabricated Reaver class titan, her hull unblemished by combat, gleaming with the great hope of the crusade's coming end. The gathered nobility held their breath in awed silence, few having seen a Reaver newly forged. The only sound to be heard in that moment, it is said, was the gentle sobbing of the House Taranis Forge Master Grathan. That such a stern and severe warrior could be moved to tears at the sight of the god machine was noted by the Princeps Majoris and the name "Tears of Taranis" or "Lacrimis Taranis" in High Gothic was bestowed upon that glorious and mighty engine of war. Never before had a knightly house earned such an honor.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 4, 2016

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Creeping towards finishing my Zone Mortalis force. I've been informed I should try to lighten up the tassels on the Cataphractii, but white shading is so tough.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Edit: Those Ultramarines look very nice.

Speaking of Zone Mortalis, I've got my test tile mostly done after much fuckery and I'm happy with it. I originally had the walls done in olive drab with the metallic floors but It wasn't working for me. I tried something simpler and I'm happy with Dark metallics and dusty bone panels. It is fast and looks effective (to me at least). I will do additional weathering with a sack of FW powders and a few tubs of Typhus once all the tiles are done.

I'll need to find time to paint my Phalanx Warders now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

krursk fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 4, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Hm guess I'll need to be careful with the Knights then. I love the Household Ranks system and their unique list is the only way to use it.

And that ZM board looks fantastic, good work. Looking forward to the battle reports.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 4, 2016

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

DeadGame posted:

Did any of you enter the "Win a Titan" contest? Here was my entry.

Titan Name: "Lacrimis Taranis", Tears of Taranis
Legion: Legio Ignatum

Prior to the onset of the Horus Heresy it was not uncommon for scions of the noble Knightly Houses to meet in diplomatic consultation on conveniently located forge worlds. These conclaves enabled the knights to share tactical knowledge and swap tales and boasts of epic conquest, strengthening their bonds should two or more houses serve together in battle.

So it was that one such meet was held on Mars at the great citadel of Legio Ignatum shortly before that fell event now known as the Death of Innocence. To mark the day, the honorable hosts Legio Ignatum unveiled a newly fabricated Reaver class titan, her hull unblemished by combat, gleaming with the great hope of the crusade's coming end. The gathered nobility held their breath in awed silence, few having seen a Reaver newly forged. The only sound to be heard in that moment, it is said, was the gentle sobbing of the House Taranis Forge Master Grathan. That such a stern and severe warrior could be moved to tears at the sight of the god machine was noted by the Princeps Majoris and the name "Tears of Taranis" or "Lacrimis Taranis" in High Gothic was bestowed upon that glorious and mighty engine of war. Never before had a knightly house earned such an honor.

Great name, great story! I really liked my entry when I sent it but I've five-stages'd on it since then. I still like my name though.:

Günahkâr (“Sinner”)

Though christened Magnum Opus in late M30, the feral engine now called Günahkâr was truly born when Legio Audax and the World Eaters brought hellfire to Nuceria.

From Mars, Magnum Opus strode across two centuries and thousands of light-years to the Five Hundred Worlds. In 007.M31, critical capacitor failure during routine service caused her starboard weapon system to detonate, killing dozens—including her hard-plugged moderati. The need for full repair diverted her from the ill-fated muster at Calth, toward Armatura and an even darker future.

The Shadow Crusade reached Armatura only months after Magnum Opus did. There, XII Legion patrols, having murdered their way through a Mechanicum strongpoint, found the slumbering god-machine hunched in a huge, partially collapsed shed. The titan was intact but for the blackened metal stump sagging from her torn shoulder. The Astartes alerted the Legio Audax of an engine ripe for the taking, and Audax lifted her to the Conqueror. She was subordinated to the Traitor cause, assigned a seasoned crew, and hastily refitted with an Ursus Claw.

Weeks later, Audax unleashed their prize on Nuceria, alongside dozens of her adoptive sisters, against the Imperator Corinthian. When Corinthian’s coffin-ship landed, Magnum Opus was mere kilometers away. Though not as nimble as the Audax Warhounds, she charged Corinthian at full stride, her horns drowning out the screaming World Eaters clinging to her carapace. Her cannon seared away the Imperator’s voids, and her harpoon pierced the giant’s side. But, Corinthian’s unfathomable strength overwhelmed her Claw’s haphazard fittings and wrenched the new limb from its socket. Magnum Opus stumbled, but, to her Princeps’ great credit, remained mobile, finally throwing her bulk against Corinthian’s leg-bastions to help immobilize it.

Afterward, several Astartes in scarred red armor allegedly approached Magnum Opus’ crew and mocked that her name “was too fine for such a disappointing wreck,” since she was “as broken as the sinners who rode her.” Generations of her crew still debate the apocryphal Astartes’ identity. The preferred explanation remains that the remark was in fact affectionate approval from the gore-caked World Eaters she had carried into battle. What is certain is that both Audax and the XII Legion were genuinely delighted by their reckless new pet. They renamed her “Günahkâr” (“Sinner”), repainted her carapace white and crimson, and henceforth tallied not only her successes, but her more spectacular errors as well.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Awesome story Sulecrist. I like the lores quite a lot.

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

Not only are your breasts flat, but you're also boring.
Hi all,

I'm working on a Word Bearers legion and have a 750pt ZM game coming up. I'm looking for some feedback on two routes I could go.

I have a bunch of Gal Vorbak, Zardu and a Mhara Gal. My plan is to make either a list that revolves around the Mhara Gal or the Gal Vorbak since they're both pretty expensive.

The word bearers are kind of at a weird disadvantage in ZM because of the double HQ thing but i made a list that is just

two centurions

a squad of breachers

a mhara gal

I can change the breachers into two tac squads but idk if thats better or not.

The other option is to take Zardu a centurion, a tactical squad and a bunch of Gal Vorbak

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Mhara Gal list, no question, it's something you should try at least once.

Pay attention to your opponent's face once they find out that the Mhara Gal can walk through the ZM walls. In fact, ZM is exactly where the Mhara Gal is at peak power.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Wait the mhara gal can walk through ZM walls?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it ignores terrain that's less than an inch across or some poo poo

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

:staredog:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Is Exodus worth a drat for Alpha Legion? He looks fun, and I wanna use that 30th anniversary Marine for something.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Exactly. It's positively terrifying in ZM because of that.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

Is Exodus worth a drat for Alpha Legion? He looks fun, and I wanna use that 30th anniversary Marine for something.

In terms of minmaxing? No. Not really.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
If you minmax 30k you're doing it wrong. Take the assassin dude, take a bunch of recon squads and teleport homer in some of their special terminators. Pew pew

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The Age of Darkness Legions book is some serious :effort: poo poo. The "appendix" numbers for each Legion entry aren't even numbered right. The book starts with the Emperor's Children, Appendix III, and goes downhill from there.

I mean stuff like that has no impact on the actual playability but Jesus Forge World.

On the other hand I also got the Retribution book and dear Lord it's huge

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Probably because it goes in order of legion numbers. Dark Angels would be first if they had real rules, next is the lost legion, then EC at 3rd legion, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hencoe posted:

Probably because it goes in order of legion numbers. Dark Angels would be first if they had real rules, next is the lost legion, then EC at 3rd legion, etc

No, it's not. It appears to be just copy-pasted from the book each legion's appendix first appeared in. For example, EC is the third appendix in Book 1, so it was copied from that. The Death Guard is the fourth appendix in Book 1 and was copied from that, so it's "Appendix IV" in the AoD book despite not being the actual fourth in order in the AoD book.

The appendix headers are literally just copy-pasted from elsewhere and not edited to reflect their actual position in the AoD book.