Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I want a speedo that isn't a hard to see LCD display perpetually lagging behind what I'm actually doing is what I want.

I too monitor and adjust my speed multiple times per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Yeah that's what I was going to say. I hardly ever even look at my cluster unless I see a cop or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you buy an S1000XR the speedo updates so quickly you can watch it change when you spin up the rear wheel on a slick spot.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The angular relationship between the tach and speedo needles are my gear position indicator :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

The angular relationship between the tach and speedo needles are my gear position indicator :colbert:

I've actually gotten to that point on some bikes with analog attach and speedo, it's kinda nice

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In 4th my tach reads exactly one tenth my speed in mph, or close enough.

I was thinking it'd be a nifty (if functionally flawed) design feature to have a single needle on a large dial with fixed rpm readings around the outside and speed readings on an lcd display* around the inside that shifted depending what gear you were in.

Obviously doesn't work when the clutch is in, but it'd look cool so who cares :coolfish: (legislators, probably)

e/ also it would almost certainly be a bitch to actually read. Cool though!

*led backlit, none of that unreadably dim beige 80s crap

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 23, 2016

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Renaissance Robot posted:

In 4th my tach reads exactly one tenth my speed in mph, or close enough.

I was thinking it'd be a nifty (if functionally flawed) design feature to have a single needle on a large dial with fixed rpm readings around the outside and speed readings on an lcd display* around the inside that shifted depending what gear you were in.

Obviously doesn't work when the clutch is in, but it'd look cool so who cares :coolfish: (legislators, probably)

e/ also it would almost certainly be a bitch to actually read. Cool though!

*led backlit, none of that unreadably dim beige 80s crap

I saw something like this on an old bike that just had a speedometer, but would indicate the RPM you'd be at in various gears. It was an easy way for them to show approximate engine speed and also physical speed with a single sensor/gauge I guess.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

I see that you too have a 5 speed.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I installed the Cyclops LED headlight, 3800 lumen version. With my DOT H4 headlight it's actually pretty damned close to halogen when it comes to the shape of the light projection and it looks like I won't have any problems with dazzling other drivers on the road. Solid. :mmmhmm:

The hi-beam mode is loving hilariously bright and I love it for the sheer fact that I can see far enough down the road not to feel weirded out while on a back road at night. Absolutely awesome for doing some further-into-night riding on the Monster. Also bonus points because the dude at Cyclops was super cool and friendly when I called to ask him some questions about fitment, he basically told me "haha you can't hurt this thing, puny man" and he's pretty much right. Little light's built like a tank.

That said the 4000k color temperature color is weird and brings to mind "Piss-O-Vision" but it's not the 6000k "rear end in a top hat Blue" bullshit that gets cops' attention and it's quasi-legal enough when combined with the DOT headlight that I don't imagine it will cause anyone any misery. Overall great choice and thank you for the suggestion, you leathery hog straddlers!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I too monitor and adjust my speed multiple times per second.

Must be nice not riding in a country covered in speed traps and cops with boners for ticketing people for going 5 over. Over here 'speed kills' and the police are 100% convinced that doing 60km/h in a 50 zone leads to death. People staring at their speedos instead of the road is a subject much brought up in the media, no joke.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Those blue or purple bulbs are more like 7000k+. There has been a "color temperature number" deflation the past few years. Yellowish is more from 2700-3500k, white peaks at 5200-5500k, and only barely starts to turn blueish a bit higher. This is to counteract the "11000k!!!" marketing of 10-12 years ago. They simply relabeled the purple bulbs as 7000k.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I can't remember if I've posted this already so forgive me if I'm repeating myself, but Cyclops now have a retrofit shield for 3800 lumen bulbs which will apparently provide correct low beam cut off for people not able to get that result using spacers.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Installed a permanent bar end mirror. It is now one with the clipon. Don't wrench while drunk.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Crossthreaded? :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

No, the bar end shim was too big and I strongarmed it in anyway. RIP

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Half the bar end mirrors I see appear to be permanent. I dunno if that's user error or manufacture error.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Picked up a spare set of carbs that had a jet kit in them, so I swapped them into my clean set. Also included were UNI pods and a new set of carb boots to replace my 30 year old rock hard ones.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Replaced my broken brake lever and bent the brake pedal back to a usable configuration. Rode it! Still havin' a blast every time I get on the bike.

I really think it needs a valve adjustment and a carb balance, though. Not gonna mess with the valves until I pick up a manometer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Beach Bum posted:

Replaced my broken brake lever and bent the brake pedal back to a usable configuration. Rode it! Still havin' a blast every time I get on the bike.

I really think it needs a valve adjustment and a carb balance, though. Not gonna mess with the valves until I pick up a manometer.

Don't limit yourself to a manometer. If you can find a good pair of inexpensive vacuum gauges, go that route.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Dumped the bike in a new more technical offroad playground.

1) Painstakingly installed expensive 2inch shock isolating risers.

2) Took short ride on highway.

3) Quickly removed said risers because they ruin the ergos and vibrate more than stock. Ugh.

In the process I found a much more sturdy and unobtrusive way to mount the spitfire windshield, and am very happy with the results, so I guess it's ok.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Dumped the bike in a new more technical offroad playground.

1) Painstakingly installed expensive 2inch shock isolating risers.

2) Took short ride on highway.

3) Quickly removed said risers because they ruin the ergos and vibrate more than stock. Ugh.

In the process I found a much more sturdy and unobtrusive way to mount the spitfire windshield, and am very happy with the results, so I guess it's ok.

Have you considered filling the bars with sand or something?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Sold it to another goon. Farewell sweet FZR, it was too brief.

I actually bought the bike to resell to the new owner since he needed some time to get cash together

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
HCC- You have good self control. Every vehicle I've bought with the intention to resell I've ended up keeping for longer than I should.

Slavvy posted:

Have you considered filling the bars with sand or something?

Nah, the vibes are fine, and the wrx is pretty smooth anyway. The risers just magnified any vibes, which was counterproductive. My real problem with them was that they made the bike uncomfortable to use, also counterproductive.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

HCC- You have good self control. Every vehicle I've bought with the intention to resell I've ended up keeping for longer than I should.

Nah, the vibes are fine, and the wrx is pretty smooth anyway. The risers just magnified any vibes, which was counterproductive. My real problem with them was that they made the bike uncomfortable to use, also counterproductive.

You could try finding some rubber mounts for your bar clamps, that would help too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Billet rear rack installed. Will be nice to actually use this bike for utility.

Cyclops LED 3800 lum headlight bulb installed. Wires and ballast tucked LIKE A BOSS.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hi5 cyclops buddy!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I put new fork springs in today and now my rear shock feels like an old banana.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I put new fork springs in today and now my rear shock feels like an old banana.

I've been sitting on a set of springs and emulators for my 650 for... two years now. The rear shocks I put on, are very nice. 66 degrees tomorrow... oil change and ride day.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sold it for three magic beans £950, only a hundred quid down from what I paid for it a year ago. I'd have liked a bit more, but eh, it's not really worth waiting for.

See you, partner.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

M42 posted:

Hi5 cyclops buddy!

:D ! Your endorsement of it was a large part of why it kept bugging me enough to finally pull the trigger. After a night with it, I think I'll keep it. I feel like it should be twice as bright as it is, but I'm probably asking a lot of my pathetic dirtbike reflector setup. During the day it's absurdly visible to other cars. The cold white output makes it seem weak, but I cannot deny that it puts a substantial amount of light out, especially on pitch black country roads. It's very confidence inspiring.

I'll just get a yellow vinyl cover for the headlight if the cold white keeps bothering me, but I gotta say the bulb is pretty great for what it is. The useable light is way wider than the stock bulb, which helps a ton, too. Clearly I just need to add a set of these for the handlebars and I'll be good. :getin:
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/-Long-Range-Optimus-LED-Auxiliary-light-Round_p_10.html

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The first thing I did when I got my bike was remove the front fairing and replace it with a bucket headlight. Today I put the fairing back on.

It has grown on me. Partly because the aftermarket bucket headlight was a pot metal piece of poo poo that gave me tons of trouble, partly because the fairing has been sitting indoors and is in very good condition while the rest of the bike has been deteriorating outside.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like that fairing, it's just enough 80's without being obnoxious

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Today, I finished the job I started last night: replacing my bitchin' drag bars with a set of stock SV650 bars I got for $shipping.

Before:

After:

Next up, when I find the time...

e: i also swept the floor as you may have noticed

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 8, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And though it's a part of the lone star state,
Nipples don't seem to care.
They just keep on looking to SV...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That blinker situation is hilarious. My setup is a Clear Alternatives integrated turn signal and a hotbodies undertail (also has turn signals) all together, works well - and in your case, will help you avoid clearance problems with the high mount exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugsEqEjnaZA

I don't know what the inspection situation is in texas wrt blinker distance, but this passes easily in VA.

(the first part of the video is the mess PO left behind)

M42 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 9, 2016

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

M42 posted:

That blinker situation is hilarious. My setup is a Clear Alternatives integrated turn signal and a hotbodies undertail (also has turn signals) all together, works well - and in your case, will help you avoid clearance problems with the high mount exhaust.
Oh, no, I have something much worse in store for that poor bike. :getin:

Slavvy posted:

And though it's a part of the lone star state,
Nipples don't seem to care.
They just keep on looking to SV...
I listened to the whole track to get the tune to read this post right and I certainly don't regret it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

For some reason I can really easily picture ILM turning this into some kind of star wars robot head.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

M42 posted:

I don't know what the inspection situation is in texas wrt blinker distance, but this passes easily in VA.

Texas doesn't have a turn signal requirement, at all.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Clitch posted:

Texas doesn't have a turn signal requirement, at all.

I'm not going to let that stop me from bolting this shovel onto my bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012