Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I speak feline. Meow meow meow meow meow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
GUESS WHO HAD A BIRTHDAY?

It's this rear end in a top hat!

Judah is now 11 years old :toot:

Happy birthday little dude.

(Every time I tried to get a good picture he just started bitching that I wasn't preening his head so enjoy the potatophoto)

EDIT: NEVERMIND PICTURES AHOY

The way to get your neck scratched is to smash your face into the nearest hand until petting happens :derptiel:

And a bonus whistlebirb video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y__YxTVlmcM

Tendai fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 2, 2016

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Happy birthday Judah! :toot:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Happy hatchday!!

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Wow I didn't know judah was so old! So distinguished.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Distinguished, right, that's the ticket.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Happy birdthday Judah!

Also condolences to everyone whose lost a little friend lately; I'm sure it's been a tough week for you all :(

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He even decided that he was brave enough to go through the hallway where the Big Terrifying Mirror is without flipping the gently caress out like usual, so we could do dishes together like when he was a baby and I lived in a studio apartment :unsmith: Good birb.

(Then he realized that I'd put millet and a bunch of cut up crunchy vegetables and poo poo in his cage and I became way less interesting :saddowns: )

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

He was falling asleep on my hand so I had to wake him up

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Look how fluffy he is :kimchi:

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Galileo.

Gali.

What are you doing, you have a perfectly good cuttlebone that you barely use but you'll gnaw on the swinging perch.

...Okay. :saddowns:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

GUESS WHO HAD A BIRTHDAY?

It's this rear end in a top hat!

Judah is now 11 years old :toot:

Happy birthday little dude.

(Every time I tried to get a good picture he just started bitching that I wasn't preening his head so enjoy the potatophoto)

EDIT: NEVERMIND PICTURES AHOY

The way to get your neck scratched is to smash your face into the nearest hand until petting happens :derptiel:

May you have another 11 years or more, little potato!

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Such a nice looking photo/subject :3:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Like the t-rex touching every part of the electric fence, probing for weakness, my bird has bit every part of my hand and found the skin right above the nail bed is thin and clearly the best way to get attention.

Webbing between thumb and forefinger is just fun to chew the hell out of, poo poo is like meat flavored bubblegum. long time favorite to just chew the hell outta that webbing. Never get yelled at doing that but when he's mad...

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw4Cp-qChos

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, we did it, we got another budgie. This is Yoshi, when we were picking him up and before he became utterly terrified of both of us. He's two months old and he was hand-trained already, but of course, the new environment and being taken from his siblings was very overwhelming

He's in his cage with the choice of a few toys (we stuck with three - trying not to overwhelm him yet), currently standing perfectly still on one perch toward the front of the cage, refusing to move and staring at us with a glare of utter betrayal. I walk over periodically and put my hand in and just talk to him softly for a bit, and he blinks his eyes a little, so we're making progress. He's been so quiet! I think he's chirped once. He hasn't had any water yet, which is the only thing that worries me, but I think when we're not looking at him, he'll maybe hop over and have a few sips.

It'll be a long road to earning his trust, but I'm very happy to have a birb around again.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lookit that boodge :3: Welcome home Yoshi.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We are attempting, now, to win him over with half a vegetable cube with some corn. So far he has made the "I will bite you! Go away!" face, and we rejoiced in the fact that he communicated, and in a way that we understand.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

My boyfriend was worried about both me and Fuji mourning Hara, so today I was suddenly given a small baby booge.

It's so young that I don't know if it's a boy or a girl, but it's really helped Fuji. He's stopped frantically flock calling, at least, which I think is a good sign.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, because I don't think I would have gotten another bird for myself so soon after losing Hara, but I'll love the little thing as best I can.

I'm thinking I'm gonna name it Echo, because it only ever peeps if Fuji does.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Coming out of retirement just to say: :dogbutton:

Who sees that and says "You know what? Picture time!" Australians have apparently lost their sense of self preservation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

H110Hawk posted:

Coming out of retirement just to say: :dogbutton:

Who sees that and says "You know what? Picture time!" Australians have apparently lost their sense of self preservation.

"This is how I died. AVENGE ME!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I should point out that we do not technically know if Yoshi is a boy or a girl budgie as well, although we're pretty sure he is a boy.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
apparently shes the dinosaur whisperer and they just chilled for a bit and left w/o needing a sacrifice

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Bicyclops posted:

I should point out that we do not technically know if Yoshi is a boy or a girl budgie as well, although we're pretty sure he is a boy.

I had a parakeet when i was 12, he was the sweetest thing. Loved to chase his bell. Chase a little jingle bell all across the floor. And I lost my footing and stepped on him. Just a little. Oh god I was so scared. Didn't make a sound for three days. Just wobbled on his perch like the world was suddenly a dark, cruel place. He was never sweet again and only wanted to rub his dirt button on stuffed animals and bully the other bird. My advice for a, what do you call it, budgie? Is to not step on it and break its trust in humanity.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Yoshi is the best name for a budgie.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

My advice for a, what do you call it, budgie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budgerigar

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

Yoshi is the best name for a budgie.

We weren't sure about it, but while we were going over possible names in the car, I said "YO-shiiiiii!" and suddenly, for the first time since we had met him, he looked excited about something other than millet, so he sort of chose his own name. I am definitely going to teach him to say that.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Bicyclops posted:

We weren't sure about it, but while we were going over possible names in the car, I said "YO-shiiiiii!" and suddenly, for the first time since we had met him, he looked excited about something other than millet, so he sort of chose his own name. I am definitely going to teach him to say that.

I wish Taco would learn to say something other than indecipherable splerks and [UNFATHOMABLE NOISE]

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

If I turn Teeka upside down he says peekaboo

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Chuck (who just passed) would say her name and warble pretty bird up until my old room mate taught her a super loud, distinct whistle.

The horse whistle in Red Dead Redemption would trigger hours of listening to this drat whistle.

Thankfully Chuck got to see my old room mate a week ago. Instant loud whistles. :)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eejit posted:

If I turn Teeka upside down he says peekaboo
I need video of this I NEED IT.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tendai posted:

I need video of this I NEED IT.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Of course, the moment I step away to upload the photo they start fighting over the food.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I think that's Putni on left, Pion on right? They've been fun to watch, especially at night when you can see what they're up to and where/how they sleep

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

mikerock posted:

The MGs that these Australian bogans were trying and failing to use would have most likely have been Vickers MGs which were used into the 1960s.

So in conclusion of this lame autistic effort post I was saying that MGs were not "short ranged" but rather that the guys trying to kill those birds were incompetent and probably not trained on how to use an MG in the first place, and as they were also Australians, drunk as hell.

They were actually Lewis guns, though I'm sure Vickers would have been a more sensible choice. Also at the time, the use of machine guns was kind of a military art, so the fact that they put a non-gunner to task speaks to the low success they had.

Anyways back to birds.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

dragonstalking posted:

Anyways back to birds.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Of course, the moment I step away to upload the photo they start fighting over the food.
Look at those handsome birbs :3:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Chuck (who just passed) would say her name and warble pretty bird up until my old room mate taught her a super loud, distinct whistle.

The horse whistle in Red Dead Redemption would trigger hours of listening to this drat whistle.

Thankfully Chuck got to see my old room mate a week ago. Instant loud whistles. :)

It's funny how long they remember. Loki would say an annoyed "Mo-oooom!" when my wife's mother came over, years later (guess how he learned it). The first apartment he lived in had a broken radiator, which he later decided was the language of water, and would make it at the sink whenever we gave him a bath. I'm trying to not to get my hopes up for Yoshi, actually, because Loki was a huge talker with an enormous vocabulary. If we can get this little guy to eat while we're looking at him or step up without being terrified, I'll be happy if he never learns to do anything but chirp.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Happy ringneck

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDgsCu8ODCX/

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

That is adorable....especially the "yeah yeah yeah" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Hahaha it's finally happened I got Boo doing cute stuff on video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSL8nM7uQm0

So we have finally set up the new cage for Boo and Skillet and moved Griddle into their old cage. We got a really great deal on natural wood perches at the bird fair (5 for 12) so setting up the cages was pretty cheap. They lost a little height on this but gained a whole lot of width and depth. There is a lot more room to move around, Boo can really flit around the cage.

The cardboard barrier at the bottom is to create a visual barrier to the delicious full buffet on constant display to our four cats. It worked!

Griddle's cage is taped down to an end table with gorilla tape. Gorilla tape is the best tape on planet earth. Go buy a roll of Gorilla tape right now. They sell it at dollar general. Go do it. We keep all the bird's seed, treats, and finger traps in the top drawer.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 3, 2016