Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Went 4-0-1 with a GB deck that was just Girtog Monster, Slayer's Plate and all cheap creatures.

Turns out when people are making clues and dirdling around that it's cool to smash their faces in with zombies and wolves.

Did have one opponent living the dream with Prized Amalgam, Stitchwing Skaab and a Sanitarium Skeleton. Managed to deck himself because I had absolutely no way to punch through those three things recurring themselves over and over and over again, but he self milled a few cards and I was able to draw that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

4-1-1 with BGu. The mana was a little awkward but not backbreaking and the smoothness I would have got for going BG would have not been as good as the raw power of running some really sweet blue cards so I just had to take awkward mana and roll with it. Wolves, Gitrog Monster, dudes, flyers, removal, the clone, etc. Finals against LSV. His deck felt like it had less raw power but it was very steady and consistent and Sigarda is still a stone-cold bomb. We had two really good games and on game three I stumbled on mana and he curved 1, clue, 3, 4, Sigarda. Rip me.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

You lived the dream.

Night Danger Moose posted:

Twenty-nine clues.

I had to durdle hard because of life-gain. It was fun otherwise. :shobon:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Went 2-1 split last round.

Beat two BR Madness decks, lost to a WB deck that played everything bigger than I played and then just closed out the game with Sorin and Westvale Abbey.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Deckit posted:

Didn't look at the set before hand. Made a sweet Investigate deck and killed people with the 1-mana cost spell that buffs a dude for how many clues you have. 10/10 for this set, would clue again.

can.... can i be your friend?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Went 2-1-1 with GW soldiers because while I had blue and red rares (red rare didn't count as it was Harness the Storm and worthless) and the blue rare was (Epiphany at the Drownyard and Forgotten Creation) but I only had 3 other blue creatures. Black did not have any of the removal or good creatures but had Triskaidekaphobia as the promo and To the slaughter from packs, I had Game Trail as 5th rare and Eerie Interlude with a Hanweir Militia Captain in the flip slot in 6th pack. Angelic Purge was one of the MVPs for taking out the land after it turned into a demon and for making the other player sad.

Ulvenwald Mysteries and Graf Mole let me stabilize in a game while making the Militia captain larger and the Hope against Hope better. True-Faith Censer on a spirit also were destroying opponents 2-3 damage a turn. The game I had the draw on I would have won but I needed one more turn than I had from the count to finish it as the other guy was at 1 and I was at 18 and we had gone 1-1 for the first two games and he did not want to roll. It was his 2nd draw of the day and he succeeded in preventing multiple people from getting prize support so I think he was happy. Fork in the Road was also wonderful for thinning the deck and preventing later game land draws.

Also there is nothing much to do with the opponent Sigarda, Heron’s Grace and ARCHANGEL AVACYN from the same pack along with a Wolf of Devils Reach and Avacynths judgement. I wish I had his pool I watched it open and it was nuts.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I'm not suuuper sure this set is "great" for sealed non-draft play.

I didn't think about it too hard before hand but when I got my pity pack for going 0-4 (learning is the important thing, right?) I got 3 mythics. In one loving pack. I think the pack packer was drunk, but I got a Gitrog, Foil whatever the Hydra is (oh well) and Startled Awake in the same pack.

I also don't understand the sorting because I got an uncommon flip after the first mythic for a grand total of 8 common, 4 uncommon, 3 mythic in one pack. They're all garbage mythics I suppose but it's kinda weird how the magic sorting machine gets to throw that second flip card in there which can really unbalance your stuff. It explains how a guy I played against seemed to have hit a LOT of bombs if he had a pack that maybe gave him a 3 rare whammy.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Telex posted:

I didn't think about it too hard before hand but when I got my pity pack for going 0-4 (learning is the important thing, right?) I got 3 mythics. In one loving pack. I think the pack packer was drunk, but I got a Gitrog, Foil whatever the Hydra is (oh well) and Startled Awake in the same pack.

I also don't understand the sorting because I got an uncommon flip after the first mythic for a grand total of 8 common, 4 uncommon, 3 mythic in one pack. They're all garbage mythics I suppose but it's kinda weird how the magic sorting machine gets to throw that second flip card in there which can really unbalance your stuff. It explains how a guy I played against seemed to have hit a LOT of bombs if he had a pack that maybe gave him a 3 rare whammy.

Its because the Foil can be any rarity if you get one, the flip card 9/33 of them are rare or mythic.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Fallorn posted:

Its because the Foil can be any rarity if you get one, the flip card 9/33 of them are rare or mythic.

I know that.

I think it's fairly loving unbalancing in sealed if it happens too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Telex posted:

This is incredibly lucky (the Hydra will probably at least be an EDH thing) but actually a "normal" pack. You had a mythic in your rare slot (Toad), your foil slot (hydra) and your DFC slot (Startled Awake).

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Went undefeated with a pool that included x Fiery temper, 2x Mad Prophet, 2x Uncaged Fury, 2x Geistblast, and 2x Niblis of Dusk, along with various other junky commons/uncommons, the blue tapping zombie, the +2/+2 madness enchant creature, and Avacyn's judgement as the only rare I ended up drawing ( I had the X burn spell and the guy who lets you discard your hand and redraw, but never ended up getting them out.) Geistblast in particular helped me blow a few matches wide open in the late game- doubling up on Uncaged Fury, Fiery temper, or one time a Tormenting Voice- is really really useful.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Telex posted:

Startled awake is anything but garbage in sealed. It is usually I win the game card. GIGAtoad is also a beast.
But seriously gently caress startled awake in limited.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Went 3-1 playing no rares in one flight and 2-2 in the other. Also apparently stamped Avacyn's-which would have been nice to draw just once out of 10 games-are going for $70+ :waycool:

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Turns out red and black are pretty cool when you pull a Devil's Playground, a Flameblade angel, and three Dead Weights. Went 2-1-1 that was almost a 3-1 but we went over time.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Death Bot posted:

This was actually a hosed up pool

The deck was kinda jank bc my creature pool wasn't great. I probably would have made T8 based on most games going long enuogh to pull at least 2 rly hosed up cards, but instead

also the olivia was foil

nice pulls u sack

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Everyone had a Westvale Abbey, it seemed like.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

BJPaskoff posted:

Everyone had a Westvale Abbey, it seemed like.

This-but I only saw one activated and it was on turns of some ridiculous stalemate with an Odric on the other side.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I ended up playing Bant Clues, it was a pretty fun deck, but I got steamrolled by this nutty werewolf deck with a coupla Kessig Forgemasters, that one drop hasty werewolf and Neglected Heirloom... My other games were at least more competitive but I went 1-2 in matches and 3-6 in games before dropping. My best play was slamming a second harvest after having 6 clues and two spirit tokens on the battlefield. My opponent conceded that game before I could pop one of them. :(

Don't have the entire decklist but Angelic Purge was my key removal piece, and I had the Blue Cluemaking enchantment on combat damage, and the green cluemaking enchantment on creature death. Hanweir Militia Captain and Nephalia Moondrakes would be my bombs, but I think my most useful creatures were the Quilled Wolf (Grizzly Bear that buffs +4/+4 for 5G) and two Byway Couriers.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

I played two prereleases. One was normal Magic, I got a promo R/G dual and was thoroughly unimpressed with it. I played RG aggro splashing white off a GW dual and a Plains in order to activate the double-strike-for-human bear and to cast Bound by Moonsilver. I went undefeated and split top 8 prizes.

The second, however, was Two-Headed Giant with a prerelease pack each (aka twelve-pack sealed for two decks). I played BW Control with two VIndicates and Sorin plus some removal and fliers, and my partner played UG Clues with Graf Mole and Ongoing Investigation. We only lost one round, due to some quite bizarre draws on both sides.

This set seems like a great draft format from what I've seen so far.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The SituAsian posted:

This-but I only saw one activated and it was on turns of some ridiculous stalemate with an Odric on the other side.

I actually went against a guy that had traded some $5 dual land. He got Odric and another expensive card that was like $6? But said guy made me realize Odric can add gross value to your deck, especially with Neglected Heirloom and Haunted Cloak.

Side note, one of my rares was Rattlechains. I now want to run a Spectre-based deck.

igota75
Feb 9, 2006
hopeless in honolulu
I went 4-0 at my prerelease on U/G clues. My sole win condition was Startled Awake and I successfully gummed up the combat with all stars like the 1/5 flying blue common and the vanilla 1/3 blue zombies.

I was super fortunate to get a pool with a lot of synergy. There were a bunch of tap and it doesn't Untap next turn cards (sorcery and creature), I used quite a few "draw a card then discard" effects, and played the green 2/3 that returns land from grave to hand. I also had two great rares in Tireless Tracker and Engulf the Shore(insane in tandem). All of this was designed to stall combat to give me time to cycle through clues and reach Startled, although I won a few games through damage myself. I didn't get any of the blue 3/3 flash fliers, but I wish I had because it will be a more reliable and available win condition.

However, I credit Graf Mole as my MVP that kept me out of range every game. I felt like the deck worked and did what I wanted every game and never had trouble finding cards to get me more cards and get to cards I needed. I was never in any real danger, other than the one game I decked myself in round one due to learning the deck.

It'll be neat to see how things shake out, but more than ever I think the clue deck has legs in limited settings. I got lucky for sure in the Sealed environment to manage the synergies, but it's draftable.

Side note:
One game Tireless Tracker reached 13/12 which means I used 10 clues after he reached the board. I remember using a couple before he came out, too. I wouldn't have believed anyone if they had come in claiming to have used 10+ clues in one game, but here we are.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

My first booster had foil avacyn, arlinn, and jace :stare:. I went 4-0 doing straight rg midrange.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Startled awake is an incredibly lame card and I stole like 3 matches today with it for a 4-0.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

TheAbortionator posted:

Startled awake is an incredibly lame card and I stole like 3 matches today with it for a 4-0.

Had at least 3 players I met yesterday that did badly and I went through their pools and saw a still sealed promo startled awake. They all had the same issue with playing this ridiculous card- "Oh but it would enable my opponent's delirium!" There isn't a :psyduck: emote big enough.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Samael posted:

Had at least 3 players I met yesterday that did badly and I went through their pools and saw a still sealed promo startled awake. They all had the same issue with playing this ridiculous card- "Oh but it would enable my opponent's delirium!" There isn't a :psyduck: emote big enough.

My midnight release stories:

The delirium:
Opponent has out the new delver (flips to 5/4 if you reveal instant/sorcery). He misses the first flip (hits land).
Opponent: OK, second flip. Huh, a check card.
Me: Ok, doesnt flip, its a creature.
Opponent: Hmm. No, wait, it's Startled Awake. Delver flips.
Me: ...
Opponent: Oh, and I'll reanimate it.
Me: <dies in two turns>

The good:
Did a last draft of Oath of Zendikar at FNM. Never opened an Expedition, figured I'd give it one more shot. So of course, P1P1 Eye of Ugin (which helped me 3-0 my pod, doing such things as letting me drop 7 and 8 mana eldrazi early, and being cool when I awakened it for value).

Then decided to do the midnight release. Got a promo Sorin, which only showed up in the last round (which were very close games, until Sorin showed up). Was able to go 3-1 and get some packs. A good night.

The notable:
Delirium was hard to pull off in my sealed pool, especially since I went with G/W. However, my only round I lost was to my opponent hitting delirium on like turn 3 in consecutive games due to playing Vessel of Nascency on turn 1 then flipping all the card types. Which really matters when you play turn 4 Soul Swallower as your follow up...Vessel outperformed more than I would have thought.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

This format is great and I have seen amazing things happen already.

Last night I saw a game in which the board was approximately:
-1 player w/Ormendahl equipped with a +1/+1 vigilance equipment, nothing else. He ends up at about 45- 50 life.
other player had:
-Gitrog Toad, Call the Bloodline, Duskwatch Recruiter, a bunch of ground dorks, ends up at like 2 life.
2nd player is digging through his library with Recruiter trying to get to the Hope Against Hope that he had to bottom with the Recruiter earlier in the game. He finally draws and casts it, play Odrich, gives his while team deathtouch, first strike and lifelink, swings to gain a LOT of life. The first player just scooped rather than do all the math, but the game could have gone on for a little while longer at least.

I sat next to a game at the 3-0 table in which both players were playing Triskedekaphobia, and they drew game 2 to both being at 13 life at the same time.

I beat somebody who had 2 Avacyns, Goldnight Castigator, and Devil's Playground, and cast 4 Avacyns against me in 3 games. :byewhore:

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 3, 2016

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Six rounds top eight at midnight?
It was the morning prerelease, but yeah, it was six rounds and then no one wanted to play top 8 so we just split it so that each person got 12 packs.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

logis posted:

My midnight release stories:

The delirium:
Opponent has out the new delver (flips to 5/4 if you reveal instant/sorcery). He misses the first flip (hits land).
Opponent: OK, second flip. Huh, a check card.
Me: Ok, doesnt flip, its a creature.
Opponent: Hmm. No, wait, it's Startled Awake. Delver flips.
Me: ...
Opponent: Oh, and I'll reanimate it.
Me: <dies in two turns>

Wait so he showed his Check Card that was representing his Startled Awake, flipped Bigger Delver then reanimated the flipped side of Startled Awake?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Gridlocked posted:

Wait so he showed his Check Card that was representing his Startled Awake, flipped Bigger Delver then reanimated the flipped side of Startled Awake?

The self-reanimation ability is on the front side. I mean, how else would it work?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The self-reanimation ability is on the front side. I mean, how else would it work?

Oh right. Sorry I was like "Are you telling us your oppoent did some weird lying bullshit with his check card?"

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

The SituAsian posted:

Were you next to me? Went 1-1-1 yesterday with a GW humans deck with one removal spell and pump spells. The G2 of the draw I was barely hanging on with tokens from the Uvenwald enchantment that made soldiers from clues. Massively misplayed activating the Abbey and didn't get a chance to gain 9 life, and lost to Odric.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The SituAsian posted:

The only time I activated mine was in a UB mirror where he was trying to kill me with triskadephobia and the curse. We had a total board stall, so I flipped my Abbey and that ended the game real quick.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I went 3-1 with a UB zombie tempo deck. Diregraf Colossus made me about 5 zombies per game I drew him, even though he never once came into play with a +1/+1 counter on him. The 2/3 zombie that locks something down for a turn is amazing, and I had two of him.

I also opened the 3/3 Flying vampire that you can discard to give him +2/+2 with counters, he was also awesome. Late game just turns into "leave 6 mana open and discard two cards in response to anything/eot" then swing with a huge flyer.

The game I lost was against THE U/G Clue deck. He had the enchantment that turns everything into BoP so he could tap his creatures to activate clues, he had Tireless Tracker, the enchantment that mills someone, everything. Because he had so many things gumming up the board and I couldn't attack favorably, he got to like 40 life off that stupid loving Mole, then milled me and then we went to time.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Yeah, Tireless Tracker is annoying. I've only had time to play one Pre-Release and all of my losses so far (two in six rounds) have involved staring one of those things down.

Played my first three rounds with UWb splashing Sorin and some removal, deck seemed quite slow. Ended up going 1-2. After that I switched to RG beats splashing black for the same removal, also two Olivias, because the mana was really good.

Anyway yeah, it's been a while since I had such a sweet pool:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh, and just in case it wasn't brought up in thread, apologies if it was. The LRR Pre-Pre Release of SoI was pretty fun to watch. It was 4 of the main cast there (Graham, Kathleen, James and Cameron) and 4 guests (Marshal, Jimmy, Kenji and Athena) and they have their judge-friend there to keep things going.

It's a good watch for me if only because I really like their card reader, you get to see Marshal going over building a sealed deck visually, Jimmy and Kenji get locked in a long as gently caress tense game, and Graham utterly stealing one game to the point everyone from then on is now playing in preparation for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVn_GC8XUQE

Archive there, the specific Graham moment is here. https://youtu.be/RVn_GC8XUQE?t=12048

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Elusive Tormentor is a HOUSE. It might even be constructed level good. Almost impossible to interact with. There are also just some busted Madness draws that basically end the game on T3 and are kind of a Origins-level limited experience.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I am definitely going to try drafting Uncaged Fury combos.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Made my girlfriend a sweet maya sealed deck that included Arlinn, Nahiri, Sigarda, Always watching, and Thalia's lieutenant.

Her first prize pack had Jace and a Thing in the Ice.

Okay then.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Elusive Tormentor is a HOUSE. It might even be constructed level good. Almost impossible to interact with. There are also just some busted Madness draws that basically end the game on T3 and are kind of a Origins-level limited experience.

It is without a doubt a limited bomb. The ability activations might be a little too much mana to make it busted in standard, but I haven't really playtested with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mezzanon posted:

Made my girlfriend a sweet maya sealed deck that included Arlinn, Nahiri, Sigarda, Always watching, and Thalia's lieutenant.

Her first prize pack had Jace and a Thing in the Ice.

Okay then.
Always Watching is an absolute rear end in a top hat to deal with in limited. So many times I wanted to do something but then oh poo poo, +1 toughness nevermind I can't kill it or block productively drat. And vigilance just means they can swing with their fat-butt guys every turn, why not?

Eventually I got around it because BW has a pile of removal that cares only slightly at best about toughness but it stretched out games I saw it by a half dozen turns easily.

• Locked thread