Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Bobby Digital posted:

I had a student a few years ago who never managed to get my name right. For the entire seven-week class, every time she emailed me, she called me the wrong name. My email address contains my first name.

I'm in a few classes with this kid who insists on calling every professor "Teacher". It drives me up the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

I'm in a few classes with this kid who insists on calling every professor "Teacher". It drives me up the wall.

Oof. I hope that's a freshman making an adjustment. I spent my entire pre-college education at a school where we called teachers by first names, so I had to check myself all the time before addressing my profs. Then it became weird when I started having professors who preferred to be addressed by their first name.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Coolspaz posted:

people trying to sound smart saying "from time x eastern standard time to time y eastern standard time" for the love of god and all that is holy, it's not stardard time anymore, it's mother loving cock gobbling day light savings time, drives me loving insane to see EST all year regardless of time of year to sound smart, it makes you sound loving pants on head retarded :fuckoff:

This drives me goddamn nuts and i thought I was the only one bothered by it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oof. I hope that's a freshman making an adjustment. I spent my entire pre-college education at a school where we called teachers by first names, so I had to check myself all the time before addressing my profs. Then it became weird when I started having professors who preferred to be addressed by their first name.

No, we're both in our third year. Most profs at my school are pretty casual, and I'm sure a lot of them think I'm a dink because I insist on calling everyone "Doctor [Last Name]" even in scenarios where I was pretty sure they were trying to get me to loving stop that. :) I lose all ability to be casual when I'm nervous.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bobby Digital posted:

I had a student a few years ago who never managed to get my name right. For the entire seven-week class, every time she emailed me, she called me the wrong name. My email address contains my first name.

I get this exact same thing because my name is spelled "Mathew" instead of "Matthew". I find it kind of weird, because if I'm typing someone's name (in any context) I always double-check the spelling, but apparently that's just a strange quirk of mine because no one else seems to do it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Coolspaz posted:

people trying to sound smart saying "from time x eastern standard time to time y eastern standard time" for the love of god and all that is holy, it's not stardard time anymore, it's mother loving cock gobbling day light savings time, drives me loving insane to see EST all year regardless of time of year to sound smart, it makes you sound loving pants on head retarded :fuckoff:

Personally I'd be initially confused what you're even talking about - I've never seen it as anything but EST and it seems kind of pedantic to want it EDT when everyone understands it means "the time it is in the eastern time zone right now". I've also never seen it used to try to sound smart, it's a necessary thing to include if you're trying to coordinate a meeting/telecon with people throughout the country/world.

Also my pet peeve is students who keep calling me Dr. after I ask them not to, sorry cash crab. With first interactions it's fine, but some people just don't like it either because it makes them feel old, or if they're working together it makes collaborating with them more awkward where the student feels less comfortable sharing their ideas and just waits for orders etc.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I get this exact same thing because my name is spelled "Mathew" instead of "Matthew". I find it kind of weird, because if I'm typing someone's name (in any context) I always double-check the spelling, but apparently that's just a strange quirk of mine because no one else seems to do it.

This reminds me of something. Using first names as Surnames.

I'm working in Switzerland and often correspond with people from Britain, so I'm not really familiar with the surnames that the Brits have. So we have a guy called Matthew Harris easy enough I guess, but watch out there is another guys who is called Remex Matthew because some twat some time ago thought that Matthew would be a great surname (also what kind of name is Remex).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

In fairness by college most kids have gone through over a decade of Mr and Ms Lastname. It took me a while to refer to professors by their first, and even now I sometimes slip back into the Mr Lastname territory.

I hate the idea of April Fools day. Today at work, answering any call, is going to be so loving fun with everyone calling out sick ("HUIRRRRR APRIL FOOLS OMG!") or people wanting stupid poo poo made up into an order just to call it a joke, and cancel it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Murphy Brownback posted:

Personally I'd be initially confused what you're even talking about - I've never seen it as anything but EST and it seems kind of pedantic to want it EDT when everyone understands it means "the time it is in the eastern time zone right now". I've also never seen it used to try to sound smart, it's a necessary thing to include if you're trying to coordinate a meeting/telecon with people throughout the country/world.

Until someone ends up using the time for EST when they should use EDT, which I've seen happen more than once.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
The only thing I like about April fools is that when I do something stupid, I just follow it up with saying, "April Fools!"

Surely, I fooled everyone.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
"EST" looks like an abbreviation for "Eastern", which is confusing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Until someone ends up using the time for EST when they should use EDT, which I've seen happen more than once.

I think that's more a case of someone forgetting daylight savings started/ended than anything to do with the abbreviation used.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Tiggum posted:

If I'm typing someone's name (in any context) I always double-check the spelling, but apparently that's just a strange quirk of mine because no one else seems to do it.

I think this is a habit of people with frequently misspelled names. I accidentally spelled someone's name wrong in an email the other day and spent the rest of the day feeling bad about it.

I know most people don't do it intentionally but it makes me feel lovely when I'm not worth 2 seconds of someone's time to double check they spelled my name right.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My seventh grade algebra teacher pronounced my name wrong for an entire two semesters, because I was too shy to correct her. It took a parent/teacher conference to set her straight, with confusion all around.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Murphy Brownback posted:

Also my pet peeve is students who keep calling me Dr. after I ask them not to, sorry cash crab. With first interactions it's fine, but some people just don't like it either because it makes them feel old, or if they're working together it makes collaborating with them more awkward where the student feels less comfortable sharing their ideas and just waits for orders etc.

:ohdear: I know, it's an awful habit. I've only felt once or twice that it would be appropriate, and as I mentioned, I tend to come off as really cold and formal when I'm nervous (which is most of the time). I managed to break the habit once this semester, just because my brain broke when I realized I would be calling this woman Dr. Power and it was so absurd to me that I just used her first name instead.

On a different topic: When you mention something tough you're going through, or something annoying that happened, and someone else goes, "That's okay, I..." or "You think that's bad..." and then tries to one up you about your day. It's not a contest!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Coolspaz posted:

it's mother loving cock gobbling day light savings time,
Actually it's Daylight Saving Time. :eng101:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

SLOSifl posted:

Actually it's Daylight Saving Time. :eng101:

No. It's mother loving cock gobbling day light Saving time.

:eng101:

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Bobby Digital posted:

My gym teacher in grade school (1-6) used to think my name was Sean. He would start shouting at me across the gym and it would get to the point where he was red faced, angry, and the whole room had stopped what they were doing before he would realize that wasn't my loving name.

Every single time for years.
That guy was a huge jerkoff.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
When people are giving a presentation that has sound/music or put on a movie and BLAST THE VOLUME ON MAX!!!!!!

e: whoever bought me the tomato avatar, I love you :swoon:

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

BuddyChrist posted:

My gym teacher in grade school (1-6) used to think my name was Sean. He would start shouting at me across the gym and it would get to the point where he was red faced, angry, and the whole room had stopped what they were doing before he would realize that wasn't my loving name.

Every single time for years.
That guy was a huge jerkoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Screenshots from Tumblr. Always too many comments included. Always kills whatever little humour the post had or juet 'i f9und this funny' type posts.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Screaming Idiot posted:

When one side is literally promising to enact Nazi-era policies regarding minorities, I think it's safe to say that they're objectively worse than the other side regardless of what the other side is.

Oh I agree, Trump's right up there. Still, I'm so loving fed up with our political system. It's never been democracy and never has been. You choose your leaders and that's the extent of your power. They can make up whatever bullshit they want to get votes and then pull a complete 180 once elected.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Those filmed-from-above sped up gifs of "recipes" that almost always boil down to "combine a bunch of prepackaged poo poo with bacon, cheese, and/or brown sugar" that have been spreading a lot the past several months on facebook. It's almost always either some bland, messy looking gimmicky garbage, or an extremely basic thing like "here's how to make buffalo wings". Why does it have to be in that format? I appreciate the efficiency and lack of terrible filler that are in other youtube versions of recipes where you have to hear their whole family backstory before they start cooking, but I have never seen a single one where I thought "I should make this".

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

My friend "Mat" has this happen a lot as well.

My surname is a common surname with a "t" in it and gently caress me if people keep forgetting the "t". It actually drives me up the wall when I see it happen.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Murphy Brownback posted:

Those filmed-from-above sped up gifs of "recipes" that almost always boil down to "combine a bunch of prepackaged poo poo with bacon, cheese, and/or brown sugar" that have been spreading a lot the past several months on facebook. It's almost always either some bland, messy looking gimmicky garbage, or an extremely basic thing like "here's how to make buffalo wings". Why does it have to be in that format? I appreciate the efficiency and lack of terrible filler that are in other youtube versions of recipes where you have to hear their whole family backstory before they start cooking, but I have never seen a single one where I thought "I should make this".
God almighty, yes. People who I think have sense keep posting that poo poo on Facebook, and it's all foul poo poo that involves pre-mixed biscuits and too much sugar.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Tendai posted:

God almighty, yes. People who I think have sense keep posting that poo poo on Facebook, and it's all foul poo poo that involves pre-mixed biscuits and too much sugar.
It's always biscuits, you're right! Who the hell always has those bitter-rear end instant biscuits on hand anyway?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
This weather is chapping my hide. What the gently caress season are we even in? It was 70 yesterday, and it's 50 and raining like a hurricane now, and it's supposed to turn to snow tomorrow morning, and then 70s again next week. A week or so ago, i checked the five-day forecast, and the highs were 10 degrees apart each consecutive day -- 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

This weather is chapping my hide. What the gently caress season are we even in? It was 70 yesterday, and it's 50 and raining like a hurricane now, and it's supposed to turn to snow tomorrow morning, and then 70s again next week. A week or so ago, i checked the five-day forecast, and the highs were 10 degrees apart each consecutive day -- 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s.

It snowed in Chicago today. Tomorrow it's going to be in the 60s, drop back down to 30s on Monday, get up to the high 50s again by Wednesday and then drop back to the mid-40s. Why did I stay in the midwest?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Rabbit Hill posted:

It snowed in Toronto today and my loving dad, who lives in BC, called me to brag about the weather, which is 20. :mad: loving BC.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
The weather here in the GTA loving sucks this weekend, and of course, it's supposed to be the worst Sunday night and Monday morning with freezing rain right in time for the work commute. What the hell, Spring? You've gotten my hopes up so many times this year. My poor flowers in the front yard all started to bloom, somehow made it through last week's impromptu mini ice storm, and are now again covered in like >5 cm of snow.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

genetic_knockout posted:

The weather here in the GTA loving sucks this weekend, and of course, it's supposed to be the worst Sunday night and Monday morning with freezing rain right in time for the work commute. What the hell, Spring? You've gotten my hopes up so many times this year. My poor flowers in the front yard all started to bloom, somehow made it through last week's impromptu mini ice storm, and are now again covered in like >5 cm of snow.

Counterpoint: Nice mild summer. If there's one thing you can count on in this region, it's that lovely winter = nice mild summer. Unless you're really bothered by bugs, in which case you're hosed. But that nice 21-average weather is mm-mm-good to me.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
The townhouse I live in now gets buried in snow because of a massive drift that piles up to my garage/front door, if we get 5 CM on the ground I get 20 CM. Last year in Feburary we got 30 CM and I had 9 feet of snow piled up against my front door and could not get out, took me and my wife 6 hours to tunnel our way out. Drifting Snow!! :argh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mister Speaker posted:

People misspelling my name when it's _right the gently caress there in plain text_. My name is Zack. With a 'K' at the end. It's right there in my Facebook profile - not 'Zachary', just Zack. Yet every few days, some stupid rear end in a top hat types out 'Zach' in a message or post. What the gently caress?

My name is Ursula, and I've had people misspell my name in emails to me when my entire first name is in the address. :psyduck:

Intoluene posted:

My friend "Mat" has this happen a lot as well.

My surname is a common surname with a "t" in it and gently caress me if people keep forgetting the "t". It actually drives me up the wall when I see it happen.

My surname is a commonly pluralized surname, but without the S on the end. People add the S all the time, to the point that one of my semi-distant relatives changed her name to add the S. I choose to fight the good fight. :colbert:

Since we're weatherchatting, I would like to add "people who assume that every loving body likes summer" to my big list of pet peeves. I'm not ready for lost sleep/appetite and sundress catcallers.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

YeahTubaMike posted:

My name is Ursula, and I've had people misspell my name in emails to me when my entire first name is in the address. :psyduck:

My surname is a commonly pluralized surname, but without the S on the end. People add the S all the time, to the point that one of my semi-distant relatives changed her name to add the S. I choose to fight the good fight. :colbert:

Since we're weatherchatting, I would like to add "people who assume that every loving body likes summer" to my big list of pet peeves. I'm not ready for lost sleep/appetite and sundress catcallers.

Same! And I live in sunny California where the slightest breeze or dip below 70F is met with "OMG IT'S SO COOOOLD."

I get that winter can be inconvenient (though not really out here, since we don't get any kind of bad or dangerous weather), but you can at least wear a scarf and gloves. There's no way to dress comfortably for 100-degree days.

Worse, places that crank up the AC in hotter weather. Great, now I can either roast or freeze. Why is there no in-between? You can't dress comfortably for that, either. I shouldn't need to bring a jacket to go inside, not when I'm dripping sweat on the outside.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I live in a place that turns into a swampy hell in the summer, and air conditioning wreaks havoc on my sinuses so I usually just grumpily make do with fans at home. Plus I have curly hair that is now long enough that it will probably be wider than my shoulders from the humidity, and will basically not look right ever for the next five months. I loving hate summer.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I feel you there. I grew up in a place that was 100+ degrees all dang summer long, but at least it was "dry heat." Then I moved to the northeast, where it doesn't get as hot, but the humidity. Ugh. But on the plus side it's not muggy and nasty every day in the summer, but on the days it is I just want to loving die. The heat makes me physically ill and it's terrible. gently caress summer.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

You could always define your name as The Evil Witch from the Little Mermaid. People remember that poo poo.

Peeve: I am set to be transferred at work. But they need to fill my spot still. So another guy who already works with me wants my shift, so he applied for it, and is approved for the transfer. But now they need to fill HIS spot before either of us can move. And since someone already working wants his spot as well, this poo poo continues until they finally loving hire a new person and train them. It'll be loving June before I get my transfer done!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cowslips Warren posted:

You could always define your name as The Evil Witch from the Little Mermaid. People remember that poo poo.

I absolutely loving refuse.

I met some Swiss people who brought up Ursula Andress when I introduced myself, and I nearly wept with joy.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
gently caress spring, gently caress summer, gently caress winter. Give me that damp, clammy fall weather all year, thanks -- that's easy to dress for and it's easy on the bills. And the best part is that it's gloomy, which means people are unhappy, and that is a good thing because happiness is loving terrible.

The perfect state of being is mild despair tinged with utter contempt and self-loathing to taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Haven't encountered this in a while but TV shows with really quiet talking and loud action scenes and/or music especially if you're watching late at night. Examples: Daredevil, Babylon 5(?), some episodes of Stargate SG1. Also, Drop the Dead Donkey (not that that's been on TV for about a decade) had some seriously loud title music.