Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Booblord Zagats posted:

WW2 seems like the best case scenario for a complete breakdown of the CoC

Didn't that one LT in band of brothers execute a squad leader for cowardice at one point? If I remember correctly the guy reported his actions up but everyone in his chain of command ended up dying and nothing ever came of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mustang posted:

Didn't that one LT in band of brothers execute a squad leader for cowardice at one point? If I remember correctly the guy reported his actions up but everyone in his chain of command ended up dying and nothing ever came of it.

Sobel?

also goddamn dude had a rough life

quote:

Sobel returned to the United States after the war, and worked as an accountant before being recalled to active duty during the Korean War.[7] He remained in the Army National Guard, eventually retiring at the rank of lieutenant colonel. He later married, and had three children.[8]

In the late 1960s, Sobel shot himself in the head with a small-caliber pistol.[9] The bullet entered his left temple, passed behind his eyes, and exited out the other side of his head. This severed his optic nerves and left him blind.[9] He was later moved to a VA assisted living facility in Waukegan, Illinois. Sobel resided there for his last seventeen years until his death due to malnutrition on September 30, 1987.[9] No services were held for Sobel after his death.[9]

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

No, Speirs. According to legend shot a sergeant for being drunk and disobeying an order.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
^^^^ yeah, that

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Sobel?

also goddamn dude had a rough life

The E Company guys later said that he was a supreme dickhead but that his strict training ended up keeping them alive during the war. He didn't get over their mutiny though, and never went to a reunion.

Mustang posted:

Didn't that one LT in band of brothers execute a squad leader for cowardice at one point?

There was a rumor (in the show anyway) about Ronald Speirs shooting one of his own but it never resolved whether or not it was true or just something he let spread to bolster his hardass image and I haven't read anything conclusive either way. There's also the replacement at the very beginning of the postwar occupation who got drunk and shot some guys in a jeep; there's a scene where the E Company guys are beating the dogshit out of him and Speirs threatens him with his pistol but doesn't shoot him. Speirs is also shown racking out a German neurosurgeon to save one of the victims. I've never been able to find any record of who this guy was or what actually happened.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I got to spend an evening and bunk house with the non famous E company medic years ago during a reenactment event. I was top bunk and he was bottom and he told me stories until I passed out.

It was magical.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

I got to spend an evening and bunk house with the non famous E company medic years ago during a reenactment event. I was top bunk and he was bottom and he told me stories until I passed out.

It was magical.

Start a thread

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I told the stories back in the reenactment thread. It was back in 2006 or so. The highlight of my time doing that stuff was riding on a Sherman tearing up Fort Ord and getting to talk to a German submariner and Russian marine who served at Stalingrad. Also met an D (or F it's been a while) company who managed to be in every day of combat the company was in and never recieved so much as a scratch.

https://imgur.com/U1Nel4v

https://imgur.com/1bYQ8YA

Ed. The medics first name was Ed and I got a picture of him with a medic from the 82nd who won a DC from taking a squad of Germans prisoner with a pair of scissors and giant balls.

Ed is on the left.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 31, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
At the annual WWII airshow in reading I got to talk with one of the German POWs who was held at the POW camp on the outskirts of Phoenix. The Phoenix alt-paper had a really great article on these guys, it was a total shitshow of Marx(brothers)ian proportions. Nobody really gave a poo poo because even if they broke out they weren't getting far. A bunch of them did break out and...didn't get very far. One of them would repeatedly break back *in* to pick up on camp gossip about where they were searching, and he'd break out again to relay the info. One turned himself in when he found out what the camp Christmas menu was like. Some of them brought along planks so they could build rafts to float down the Salt River, and were dismayed to find that the Salt River is often not really a river, just a dry bed.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/flight-from-phoenix-6418278

quote:

Three feet high and only half as wide, the 178-foot tunnel burrowed beneath a pair of camp fences and exited on the banks of the Arizona Crosscut Canal. It was illuminated by an electric light and was filled in places with muddy water. Although U.S. Army archival drawings made after the tunnel's discovery show a neatly dug underground trench, Moore writes that these sketches are far too flattering. "Nobody had the slightest idea how to dig a tunnel," he quotes one of the fugitives as saying. "It was our first, you understand."

Hoza says that most of the deserters knew a successful escape was a long shot. "They didn't think they'd make it back to Germany," he said. "They treated it like a big prank. They were bored."

Palmer recalls being more hopeful. "I thought if I could get to Mexico, I could make it home," he says. "My plan was to try to go to Guaymas, then stow away on a ship to South America. From there, I could return to Germany and the war."

Lammersdorf stayed behind. "It was useless to go into the desert without a clear plan. Mexico was far away, and most of us had no desire to expose ourselves to real hardships. We had a good life. We were well fed, we spent many hours reading and relaxing, with no trouble from our friends, the guards."

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 31, 2016

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

And this is why I'm never opening the surprisingly heavy scrotum shaped leather bag we found in pop-pops war chest.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Ask me what is in my Grandad's war nutsack

Spacman fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 31, 2016

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Phanatic posted:

At the annual WWII airshow in reading I got to talk with one of the German POWs who was held at the POW camp on the outskirts of Phoenix. The Phoenix alt-paper had a really great article on these guys, it was a total shitshow of Marx(brothers)ian proportions. Nobody really gave a poo poo because even if they broke out they weren't getting far. A bunch of them did break out and...didn't get very far. One of them would repeatedly break back *in* to pick up on camp gossip about where they were searching, and he'd break out again to relay the info. One turned himself in when he found out what the camp Christmas menu was like. Some of them brought along planks so they could build rafts to float down the Salt River, and were dismayed to find that the Salt River is often not really a river, just a dry bed.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/flight-from-phoenix-6418278

quote:

"Most of them were 4F, the lowest military rating, and couldn't qualify for combat. They became military policemen and prison guards."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://jezebel.com/woman-who-commissioned-ghost-photos-with-dead-daughte-1768422467

Mom: toughest job in the Army :angel:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
what the loving gently caress

:smith:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

At least she can do all the prison photoshop tasks, probably beats kitchen duty.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

MurderBot posted:

At least she can do all the prison photoshop tasks, probably beats kitchen duty.

She paid someone else to do the photoshopping.

Edit: was going to pay but he did it for free because he thought a mother was actually grieving and not a murderous bitch.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mike-o posted:

Edit: was going to pay but he did it for free because he thought a mother was actually grieving and not a murderous bitch.

I guess it's kitchen duty for her then.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mike-o posted:

quote:

In between, Ditty sought out the services of Sunny Jo, a Pennsylvania-based photographer who specializes in photoshopped portraits with deceased family members. Ditty told Jo that her daughter had choked to death on a banana.

“I felt so bad for the grieving mother that I decided to do $500 worth of work for free because of the situation,” Jo told WNCN-TV.

lol what a maroon

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Oh my god.

Also choking on a banana? That's pretty obscure

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Soulex posted:

Oh my god.

Also choking on a banana? That's pretty obscure

Naw, the mom probably had gag reflex issues and thought it would fly.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Mike-o posted:

How many cigarettes does a job like that pay? I'm a bit of a wiz with GIMP, I bet I could get a carton a month out of her.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
sentence her to life in the army as a permanent e1, and permanent extra duty every night and weekend

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Oh yea, posts go on
Long after the trial, for murder is gone

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Would

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Knock her up? No problem, she'll take care of it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/albuquerque-police-release-video-showing-officer-shooting-undercover-cop-n549461

quote:

Jarring videos showing the moments when an Albuquerque police officer was shot several times by his own lieutenant during an undercover operation were released Thursday, following the settlement of a lawsuit that awarded the wounded officer $6.5 million.

"I didn't know it was you!" says Albuquerque Police Department Lt. Greg Brachle moments after putting at least eight bullets into APD Officer Jacob Grant in January 2015.

Video from Brachle's lapel shows him running up to a vehicle that Grant was sitting in with suspects and yelling "gun," then promptly firing his weapon.

"Oh s---, that was Jacob! F--- me!" Brachle is heard saying. "Are you OK?" Brachle asks Grant. "No," Grant answers.

An officer is heard yelling "Jacob hang in there man!" after the accident. The lawsuit later filed by Grant said the officer lost 80 percent of the blood in his body.

A suspect asks why they were being shot at. The charges against the two suspects in the undercover drug operation were eventually dropped, according to NBC affiliate KOB.

:laugh:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
When you've just been shot eight goddamn times by a buddy and he asks you if you're okay, I think a simple "No." is a commendable display of tact. As opposed to "No you goddamn retard you just loving shot me like all the times."

FWIW it's New Mexico so both of them probably got promoted anyway.

I want to send this to every rear end-kissing, soldier-sniffing sycophant motherfucker who someone determined that a uniform equals a higher standard. Yeah, I did some time, leave me alone and stop talking. By the way, here's a mom who exploited your sentient to get extremely poorly made photoshops done for the kid her and her beau just beat to death.

Fay Ett loving Nam. I need to go drink beer now.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 2, 2016

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Probably hard to get all that out when you're busy "breathing" through a few new holes in your chest.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So basically that louie just went in looking to kill a guy just to see what it felt like?

What a winner.

Wild T posted:

I want to send this to every rear end-kissing, soldier-sniffing sycophant motherfucker who someone determined that a uniform equals a higher standard. Yeah, I did some time, leave me alone and stop talking. By the way, here's a mom who exploited your sentient to get extremely poorly made photoshops done for the kid her and her beau just beat to death.

Fay Ett loving Nam. I need to go drink beer now.

When I was still in I had some interactions with the family advocate people. Nothing to do with me personally so I was just shooting the poo poo with them, and they said that it was something like every 2 weeks just on Benning that some soldier and his slag kills a baby.

I think it was actually on here that someone said no way, so I looked up the figures and it turns out the military is just a big ol' baby killing machine.

Huh, irony.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Isn't Abq the police department with the Feds in their rear end for shooting people all the god drat time, too? Hahaha I'm pretty sure that came about from that sick gopro video from the end of an M4 clone lighting up some homeless dude.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

DownByTheWooter posted:

Isn't Abq the police department with the Feds in their rear end for shooting people all the god drat time, too? Hahaha I'm pretty sure that came about from that sick gopro video from the end of an M4 clone lighting up some homeless dude.

Bingo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DownByTheWooter posted:

Backwards on the escalation of force pyramid: shoot with rifle, send dog to chew on him, taser while on ground.
I'm not a cop but they shouldn't be either.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Most times that I've walked into the UNM E.R in Albuquerque there's always some dude who is in the trauma bay with gunshot wounds. I'm guessing 80% of them were done by cops.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mother fuckers saw breaking bad and got all hyphy.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

They had a thing for shooting people long before Breaking Bad. Like the suicidal veteran they killed a few years ago.

Ok you know what, gently caress finding it with google. "APD kills vet" gives me a dozen results, all different incidents. I hate this city.

Edit: This one. http://www.koat.com/Veteran-Shot-By-Police-During-Suicide-Negotiation/6143944 city had to pay out for that one. There's video floating around somewhere where you hear the guy who fired wondering if he's the one who made the shot.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 3, 2016

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
yeah, but this might not even be on the cops

maybe Albuquerque is just a city full of shitheads who we're all better off shooting, I dunno I've never been

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
They've got GoPro video of cops lighting up a homeless guy with a knife while the shooter yells "'booyah" followed by sending in a dog and consummated by a fat cop with a shotgun waddling up and blasting the bleeding out dude several times with beanbags because he didn't get to play. Like Canyoneer said they had the tools but decided the force pyramid is more fun upside down.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Deescalation of force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Dont forget the part where they flashbang him then he gets shot when he doesn't comply with orders he probably can't hear. They later handcuff a corpse.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=58e_1405616139

There are people in albuquerque that deserve to be shot but not that way.

Anyway I knew a guy who hosed T-Rat mashed potatoe's once. Still miss the ham slice MRE as that could be folded in half for a field expedient pussy. Unless you overused the heater and burned your dick.