Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Vulpes posted:

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

You keep using that phrase, I do not think you realise it makes you sound like a dickhead ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Infotainment! posted:

Ivor Biggun posted:

Unrelated but I wonder what Mike Sabin is doing these days
The unwilling, I believe

:vince:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Couple of questions not really in the vein of the thread, but where else can I find a bunch of Kiwis all slumming together.

Can anyone in Christchurch suggest somewhere I can get a good pair of shoes for work? Ill be on my feet 12 hours and they have to look half way respectable, I used to wear John Bull boots but they have been out of production a long time. I'm returning to work after being away for a year so price is a thing too.

The second question reveals my ignorance.. I'm moving to a house that has NO internet at all, this has never happened to me before.. I roam the net and stream movies, what is the best way to do this? I probably don't use a lot of net compared to the average internet goon but I'm sure watching TV and movies will go thru a chunk.

Come to think of it I have a router I can use already, but im not sure if I have a phone connection in the sleepout ill be using.

Please educate me so I don't get rodgered by some salesman!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
http://www.lastseason.co.nz Is great for really good quality shoes for cheap

I got a pair of etnies in my size (massive) for $40, ordered them at 2pm and they were at my door by 9am the next day

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

504 posted:

Couple of questions not really in the vein of the thread, but where else can I find a bunch of Kiwis all slumming together.

Can anyone in Christchurch suggest somewhere I can get a good pair of shoes for work? Ill be on my feet 12 hours and they have to look half way respectable, I used to wear John Bull boots but they have been out of production a long time. I'm returning to work after being away for a year so price is a thing too.

The second question reveals my ignorance.. I'm moving to a house that has NO internet at all, this has never happened to me before.. I roam the net and stream movies, what is the best way to do this? I probably don't use a lot of net compared to the average internet goon but I'm sure watching TV and movies will go thru a chunk.

Come to think of it I have a router I can use already, but im not sure if I have a phone connection in the sleepout ill be using.

Please educate me so I don't get rodgered by some salesman!

In my experience as a wageslave, work boots are kind of like motorbike helmets & should be judged based on comfort first. Save fifty bucks, or gently caress your feet? The choice is yours :haw:! Regardless they still make and sell JB, and they're cheap.

Cheaper then your internet bill anyway.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Oh I very much agree!

Price is absolutely irrelevant to me when it comes to shoes normally, I managed to wreck two of my ligaments at the same time, but I'm caught in a bad situation where I need all the money I can get my hands on RIGHT NOW!! but am a good three weeks out from getting paid. I'm really trying to avoid borrowing money or jamming it all on my Q card. Got a drat dentist appointment tomorrow as well I have to pay for up front (broken tooth) and I have $400 to my name.

Thanks for that link however, it never occurred to me to see if JB made other boots.. So used to wearing my old make.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Have you looked at skinny internet? It uses mobile networks but is $55 for 60 gig so not too bad

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

504 posted:

Oh I very much agree!

Price is absolutely irrelevant to me when it comes to shoes normally, I managed to wreck two of my ligaments at the same time, but I'm caught in a bad situation where I need all the money I can get my hands on RIGHT NOW!! but am a good three weeks out from getting paid. I'm really trying to avoid borrowing money or jamming it all on my Q card. Got a drat dentist appointment tomorrow as well I have to pay for up front (broken tooth) and I have $400 to my name.

Thanks for that link however, it never occurred to me to see if JB made other boots.. So used to wearing my old make.

Also you can get some pretty mean shoes at the op shop in a pinch.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Slavvy posted:

Also you can get some pretty mean shoes at the op shop in a pinch.

Life being the hilarious dick it is has handed me a $250 gift voucher for shoes...

I guess I cant complain, but why do these easy solutions always come up after I'm done with the worries and have been given decent ideas/advice?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

504 posted:

Life being the hilarious dick it is has handed me a $250 gift voucher for shoes...

I guess I cant complain, but why do these easy solutions always come up after I'm done with the worries and have been given decent ideas/advice?

Also my dental bill today was "only" $200 so I still have $200 to live on, also the tooth I broke is very very dead and can drat well wait till ive been working a few weeks before getting jacked out.

All in all it could be much worse. Thanks for all the advice and links guys.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

http://i.stuff.co.nz/business/bette...nternet-dilemma

Looks like Spark is paying to have content disguised as news put on to Stuff etc. The whole thing reads like it was written by a marketing copy writer.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Varkk posted:

http://i.stuff.co.nz/business/bette...nternet-dilemma

Looks like Spark is paying to have content disguised as news put on to Stuff etc. The whole thing reads like it was written by a marketing copy writer.

My brother-in-law used to write copy for Telecom. Frequently things he wrote would be put into newspapers verbatim.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's more pronounced in the Sunday Herald, but basically every news piece about a corporation that is a positive human interest piece is a paid advertisement and has been for decades.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I don't think I've ever had a CSR who knew what they were doing except once when a CSR at Telstra transferred me to some grumpy gruff tech who was probably not expecting to talk to a customer. That convo was over really quickly, and to my satisfaction.

The article almost goes out of its way to point out that Fenwick has a degree in computer science, implying csrs generally do....

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So my missus works for samsung and currently she's involved with warranty claims on gadgets and stuff, this involves very frequently going out to retail outlets and collecting the massive stacks of broken rich man's baubles. On friday she got accused of theft by a certain noel leeming's and very nearly lost her job. Why? Because some random guy stole some poo poo and instead of looking at security camera footage to see who it was, or calling the cops, a certain noel leeming staff member decided to call the samsung boss directly to 'complain'. Later it turned out that the caller was a person who got knocked back after trying to hit on her and the whole thing was revenge for being rejected. hosed her whole day (naturally) and threw us off completely for stuff we were supposed to do friday night relating to our business.

Not sure why I'm typing this here but sometimes I just get so loving infuriated by people's dumb retarded petty bullshit and it just drives me to despair. Who actually has the time and energy and inclination to gently caress with someone else's livelihood for no good reason like that? Like, I'm trying to achieve something with my life and devote my energies to productive, useful stuff that will improve our situation yet so many people don't think this way and just seem intent on swimming up storms inside their little teacups like little hamsters in their loving wheels sprinting furiously toward nothing. I swear most people actually enjoy drama and bullshit like this and do it for kicks or something and my brain is actually broken because I don't enjoy it at all and just want to tell everyone to gently caress off so I can do my own thing. Argh.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Does anyone want a free dominoes pizza code?

1 Free Trad pizza, delivery only, $20 minimum order, expires tonight.

PM me for the code

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slavvy posted:

So my missus works for samsung and currently she's involved with warranty claims on gadgets and stuff, this involves very frequently going out to retail outlets and collecting the massive stacks of broken rich man's baubles. On friday she got accused of theft by a certain noel leeming's and very nearly lost her job. Why? Because some random guy stole some poo poo and instead of looking at security camera footage to see who it was, or calling the cops, a certain noel leeming staff member decided to call the samsung boss directly to 'complain'. Later it turned out that the caller was a person who got knocked back after trying to hit on her and the whole thing was revenge for being rejected. hosed her whole day (naturally) and threw us off completely for stuff we were supposed to do friday night relating to our business.

Not sure why I'm typing this here but sometimes I just get so loving infuriated by people's dumb retarded petty bullshit and it just drives me to despair. Who actually has the time and energy and inclination to gently caress with someone else's livelihood for no good reason like that? Like, I'm trying to achieve something with my life and devote my energies to productive, useful stuff that will improve our situation yet so many people don't think this way and just seem intent on swimming up storms inside their little teacups like little hamsters in their loving wheels sprinting furiously toward nothing. I swear most people actually enjoy drama and bullshit like this and do it for kicks or something and my brain is actually broken because I don't enjoy it at all and just want to tell everyone to gently caress off so I can do my own thing. Argh.

Because some people don't emotionally develop beyond year 8 and spend the rest of their lives being angry, pathetic fucks.

I hope your SO got a grovelling apology from the person at Noel Leeming.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, sounds like your garden-variety shithead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

I hope your SO got a grovelling apology from the person at Noel Leeming.

Hahahaha yeah right.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

klen dool posted:

I don't think I've ever had a CSR who knew what they were doing except once when a CSR at Telstra transferred me to some grumpy gruff tech who was probably not expecting to talk to a customer. That convo was over really quickly, and to my satisfaction.

The article almost goes out of its way to point out that Fenwick has a degree in computer science, implying csrs generally do....

CSRs are for the most part human firewalls. They literally risk their job if they diverge from the script / workflow laid out on the screen in front of them. As frustrating as it is, it is rarely the fault of the Muppet you're talking to and they are likely unable to actually resolve your issue, nor put you through to someone who can without first doing 25 bullshit things designed to get you to hang up the phone.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Hahahaha yeah right.

Isn't this the point where you hit them with a personal grievance for sexual harassment.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Get her to send her story in to stuff and the herald and get a free tv

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Varkk posted:

Isn't this the point where you hit them with a personal grievance for sexual harassment.

It's the point where we shrug and get on with our lives and a miniscule part of us deadens slightly more.

I'm starting to understand why old people are so often perpetually hosed off and don't give a gently caress what you think.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Dude

Free TV

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't watch tv :smugdog:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I don't watch tv :smugdog:

But with the free one you could!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Slavvy posted:

I don't watch tv

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Fucken hipster bastard too good to watch the bachelor

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I don't know what to say when my female coworkers all gather around to discuss the Bachelor.

Mostly because I watch Archer, so I'm not really in a position to condemn mindless entertainment.

edit: gently caress I was all geared up to sleep and then I spot my laptop clock. DLSsssssss :argh:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

Mostly because I watch Archer, so I'm not really in a position to condemn mindless entertainment.

Anything written by Adam Reed and Matt Thomson is not mindless entertainment. :colbert:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

WarpedNaba posted:

I don't know what to say when my female coworkers all gather around to discuss the Bachelor.

edit: gently caress I was all geared up to sleep and then I spot my laptop clock. DLSsssssss :argh:

Don't work for a goverment department do you? I'm not even allowed in the room when my gaggle of woman friends watch that show.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It amazes me that so many women love that show when it's literally a televised gold-digging contest with a knob as the prize.

Also the noel leeming's employee evidently got fired so all's well that ends well or whatever.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
ha, serves the oval office right

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/78514533/prominent-new-zealander-on-trial

quote:

A prominent New Zealand man has gone on trial accused of committing indecent acts on two women.

Broad suppression orders prevent the publication of his identity, and the identity and relationship he has to his two alleged victims.

The 12 charges relate to incidents where the two complainants allege the man indecently touched their breasts, thighs, and buttocks.

The accused denies all the charges.

Does this sound like the Sabin thing, or someone else?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think there is an actor facing some charges as well. I think the other prominent NZer trial is scheduled for June.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
I knew it wouldn't stop at ponytail pulling

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

His name suppression is lifted in about 12 days, so we might find out then.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I thought Sabin's victims were underage but maybe not. I wouldn't be surprised if he got permanent name suppression tho

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

CSRs are for the most part human firewalls. They literally risk their job if they diverge from the script / workflow laid out on the screen in front of them. As frustrating as it is, it is rarely the fault of the Muppet you're talking to and they are likely unable to actually resolve your issue, nor put you through to someone who can without first doing 25 bullshit things designed to get you to hang up the phone.

This plus the fact that like 95% of the time their script will solve the problem because it could be fixed by restarting the modem or making sure it is plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Yeah I know and it's really annoying, especially since the article makes them out to be more qualified.

I am okay with it because 99% of issues can be solved by them and Telco's don't need to hire expensive highly qualified people to man the phones, but I still find it frustrating because when I ring it's always something on their end. Always. Most of the time it's absolutely fine, because I either know exactly what I want and they give it to me, or they will skip the script and give me to sonewho can help.

But every now and then, I get some idiot (and there are idiots in all industrys) who is a pain in the arse - I had one who insisted that I need to reboot my "router" (he meant the cable modem) because it hadn't been rebooted in months. When I told him that I rebooted it moments before ringing he informed me that he was looking at the router status page and I was incorrect. When I told him I was looking at the same page and he must be looking in the wrong location he got really lovely and insisted that it was my wifi.... After a bit more back and forth, the internet started working mysteriously after no changes on my end. I suspect DNS issues, since I could ping the local loop Telstra gateway the whole time....

• Locked thread