Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Re: shipping, Anakin is the only Star Wars character who ever had sex, and we all know how that turned out for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Cnut the Great posted:

No. He marked some storyboard art--which was made into copies and pasted up on a board in a room for that specific purpose--while some of his collaborators calmly paid attention. There was nothing weird about it. What is wrong with your brain.

Yeah, those are the faces artists make during stand-ups no matter what's happening.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Toilet Mouth posted:

Re: shipping, Anakin is the only Star Wars character who ever had sex, and we all know how that turned out for him.

So did Han and Leia!

(And probably Luke!)

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Haledjian posted:

Yeah, those are the faces artists make during stand-ups no matter what's happening.

Hell, for all I know they really could have all been thinking, "Wow, this guy Lucas is a total moron." The point is you can't actually tell anything of the sort from videos like that unless you're a mind reader. People are basically looking at people with mostly neutral to calm expressions and reading all kinds of extreme emotions into them, like boredom or disdain or confused bewilderment. It's exacerbated by the fact that so much of this behind-the-scenes footage on the Internet now tends to have suggestive Plinkett narrations overlaid on top of them. It's a bit like the Kuleshov effect in that way.

It's one of the most bizarre and revealing aspects of the whole prequel criticism subculture.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Zoran posted:

So did Han and Leia!

(And probably Luke!)

Well we know how it turned out for Han and Leia too. Luke likely has doll parts.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Toilet Mouth posted:

wtf? Are women not people?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Just watched TFA again. My opinion of it is pretty much unchanged. It was fun and exciting, and I thought the first act was sublime. Daisy Ridley was a treasure, and John Boyega did a lot with a character who unfortunately was written pretty thinly. The writing faltered later in the film, when Abrams and Kasdan apparently lost faith that the intrigue around finding Luke was sufficient to carry the conflict.

I do think it's a bit cynical to make such an overt homage to the classic films that goes out of its way to destroy everything that the original heroes ever accomplished, but I'm trying to withhold judgment on that because the next few films might help make sense of it. On that score, I'm hoping TFA turns out somewhat like TPM: everyone was a bit shocked to see Darth Vader as a sweet and innocent little boy, but the subsequent movies did something useful with that choice.

Overall, a solid entry. I'd rate it the fifth best Star War.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Toilet Mouth posted:

Chewie has a wife and kid too.
Holiday special is canon. :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cnut the Great posted:

Hell, for all I know they really could have all been thinking, "Wow, this guy Lucas is a total moron." The point is you can't actually tell anything of the sort from videos like that unless you're a mind reader. People are basically looking at people with mostly neutral to calm expressions and reading all kinds of extreme emotions into them, like boredom or disdain or confused bewilderment. It's exacerbated by the fact that so much of this behind-the-scenes footage on the Internet now tends to have suggestive Plinkett narrations overlaid on top of them. It's a bit like the Kuleshov effect in that way.

It's one of the most bizarre and revealing aspects of the whole prequel criticism subculture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KseqzmcqQBQ&t=82s

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I've never understood how anyone can listen to that awful voice Plinkett does in these videos, for more than a few seconds

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's very easy.

lfield
May 10, 2008

MrMojok posted:

I've never understood how anyone can listen to that awful voice Plinkett does in these videos, for more than a few seconds

It's often funny & he makes a lot of interesting points about the movies.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

His purpose would have been much better served without the moronic voice.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pops Mgee posted:

Chewie has a wife and kid too.
Holiday special is canon. :colbert:

Yes but is it G-Canon?

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I first encountered the phrase in this article, and I can't say I agree with many of their conclusions (especially point 3). The money quote is right at the end:

You see people on the internet move from fandom to fandom, jumping into obsessions based on image alone, projecting their own desires into the media (hence the shipping, the fan fiction, the obsession with crossovers and mash-ups). They don't like the thing for the thing itself, they like it for the culture that surrounds it, the derivative images that are created, the version of the show/movie/comic/whatever that exists in their heads, and then dropping it when it stops conforming to that version and move onto something else.

Isn't this sorta how Aum Shinrikyo came about? The Buddhist death cult that was using Battleship Yomatto as part of its apocalyptic imagery and targeted shut in computer nerds as its primary members.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

MrMojok posted:

His purpose would have been much better served without the moronic voice.

Thus MrMojok missed the point of the videos

:banjo:

Cant wait to watch my copy on Weds yay

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

His purpose was to bash the PT and Lucas, which is why the videos are so popular all over the Internet with people endlessly parroting his points.

If you're saying he intends his videos to be a parody of Internet/fan culture, no. Just no. He's playing a character all right, but his aims are clear.

Like everything else we discuss in here, humor is a subjective thing. But I think the character is bad, the humor is bad, and the serial-killer or whatever he's supposed to be aspect is extremely bad. There are some valid criticisms there but presentation is awful. It's worse than CinemaSins because of the presentation, in my opinion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mike just wanted to make the videos stand out and interesting.

If you can accept Lucas' vision, you should accept Mike Stoklasa's.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Plinkett character can be read in two basic ways: the creators wished to create a veneer of ironic distance under which they could hide from criticism, or the point is that nerds are stupid.

Of course, the answer is C: all of the above.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I wound't say it's wrong.

But it is weird to me. Another example: I like Bob Dylan. I have no interest in Dylan's latest album of Sinatra covers. It'd be weird if, upon its release, I started ranting about how much Dylan sucks now, and how he's awful and I'm never listening to him again. The latest album doesn't make Blonde on Blonde any less good. I'd be extra weird if I got rid of all my carefully collected Dylan albums and swore off him forever, because this latest album is a betrayal of everything he stood for. I just didn't buy it, and listened to some bootlegs from the era I'm interested in instead.

At the same time, I really liked the first two Weezer albums and saw them in concert twice when they released the Green and Maladroit albums. I only somewhat liked Green and Maladroit, and even then don't really care for the albums as a whole. But at the time, they were in total batting around .66 or so: pretty darn good. Then they kept releasing albums that were worse and worse and I pretty much dont like any of thei stuff at all in the past 13 years. Now I never listen to Weezer. I still like the early stuff though, but I only occasionally will listen to them and prefer to avoid anything new Weezer related.

This example isn't going to extremes like in your hyperbole, but I think it more or less illustrates the point better of what people actually do with Star Wars and the prequels.

Am I still a fan?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

MrMojok posted:

His purpose was to bash the PT and Lucas, which is why the videos are so popular all over the Internet with people endlessly parroting his points.

If you're saying he intends his videos to be a parody of Internet/fan culture, no. Just no. He's playing a character all right, but his aims are clear.

Like everything else we discuss in here, humor is a subjective thing. But I think the character is bad, the humor is bad, and the serial-killer or whatever he's supposed to be aspect is extremely bad. There are some valid criticisms there but presentation is awful. It's worse than CinemaSins because of the presentation, in my opinion.

I'm sorry I upset you

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

At the same time, I really liked the first two Weezer albums and saw them in concert twice when they released the Green and Maladroit albums. I only somewhat liked Green and Maladroit, and even then don't really care for the albums as a whole. But at the time, they were in total batting around .66 or so: pretty darn good. Then they kept releasing albums that were worse and worse and I pretty much dont like any of thei stuff at all in the past 13 years. Now I never listen to Weezer. I still like the early stuff though, but I only occasionally will listen to them and prefer to avoid anything new Weezer related.

This example isn't going to extremes like in your hyperbole, but I think it more or less illustrates the point better of what people actually do with Star Wars and the prequels.

Am I still a fan?

I think he was more saying that for some fans, they appreciate a work more for how they engage with it more than they appreciate the text itself. It's one thing to stop listening to Weezer because you don't like their new albums, it's another to stop listening because a new album contains lyrics that contradict an elaborate Weezer fictional universe you've constructed.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

MrMojok posted:

He makes a lot of valid criticisms but yes, the humour is atrocious. By the third review I was just skipping all of his stupid side story bullshit.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

He makes a lot of valid criticisms but yes, the humour is atrocious. By the third review I was just skipping all of his stupid side story bullshit.

some of it hasn't aged well, but Monster Mash will live forever.

Also I got a chuckle out of the videogame UI version of the AOTC Dooku fight.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

Am I still a fan?

Sure, if you feel like calling yourself one.

That's a very healthy attitude to have towards anything. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying "I'm a big fan of this era of David Bowie" or "I only liked the first Matrix movie, and those animated shorts they did" or "I used to like this show, but I fell off once Jon Pertwee left and I couldn't get back into it."

Compare and contrast with, say, a very strange statement a friend of mine made back in high school, shortly before The Phantom Menace came out: "It's already my favorite Star Wars movie and it isn't even out yet." He'd fallen in love with the commercials, the action figures, the promotional materials... And it was fun, trying to figure out what the movie was going to be about, who Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul were, what the young Anakin and Obi-Wan were going to be like, and in those primitive internet days, magazines were just as helpful as online rumors when it came to glossy photos and "secret" details. We enjoyed it a lot opening night, but the enthusiasm didn't hold up with repeated viewings. Sixteen years later, he's a park ranger, and mostly talks about bird conservation. He posted on Facebook about taking his son to see The Force Awakens. They both enjoyed it.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Neurolimal posted:

some of it hasn't aged well, but Monster Mash will live forever.

Also I got a chuckle out of the videogame UI version of the AOTC Dooku fight.

The only serial killer side story scene I liked was the first one. It was well conceived, with him looking through his basement for the toys. Pan to toy under pile of human bones, pan to lady chained to wall. It was funny. Everything related to that after the first one was brutal.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MrMojok posted:

How many of you thread hooligans have Star Wars toys? And are they on display prominently or in boxes in the attic?

I have one. It's a droideka about 3" tall; I got it as a gift because a friend knew I thought (and still do think) they are pretty much the coolest robots ever. It's on my nightstand.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Friendly Factory posted:

The only serial killer side story scene I liked was the first one. It was well conceived, with him looking through his basement for the toys. Pan to toy under pile of human bones, pan to lady chained to wall. It was funny. Everything related to that after the first one was brutal.

Yeah, fortunately they realized that the serial killer schtick was only funny once, and found other ways to make Plinkett terrible.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I get mad about four characters:

- Poe Dameron. Why does he do nothing in this movie? Why are his lines universally bad? Feels like a character they should have added in the sequel.

- General Hux. Who the hell cast boring Irish man as Nazi spaceboss?

- Captain Phasma. Cast the most badass woman on TV, put her in a suit and make her do nothing.

- Finn. Boyega got no acting skills. Funny man with no dramatic gravitas.

I liked the movie enough but I don't think they thought the screenplay/casting through enough.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They cut out all of the Poe-Finn makeout scenes, which really harmed his characterization and the film overall (especially the scene where they tear off each others clothes on the floor of the Republic senate council)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I thought (and still do think) they are pretty much the coolest robots ever.

CONCUR! I wish I had one of those. A much smaller version is the only Star Wars toy I still have. It sits on my bookshelf.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Poe was barely in the movie in the first place, was supposed to die, until JJ called him up during the production break and said "nvm i figured it out you are gonna live through the end"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

They cut out all of the Poe-Finn makeout scenes, which really harmed his characterization and the film overall (especially the scene where they tear off each others clothes on the floor of the Republic senate council)
Unironically a better Star Wars movie

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

These will be available on the DVD, confirm/deny?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Phasma should 100% have been the shock baton trooper boss fight for finn.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Zoran posted:

Just watched TFA again. My opinion of it is pretty much unchanged. It was fun and exciting, and I thought the first act was sublime. Daisy Ridley was a treasure, and John Boyega did a lot with a character who unfortunately was written pretty thinly. The writing faltered later in the film, when Abrams and Kasdan apparently lost faith that the intrigue around finding Luke was sufficient to carry the conflict.

I think they mentioned R2's half was also stored in the Imperial Archives. How sick would it have been if they pulled a heist instead of Starkiller?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Filthy Casual posted:

I think they mentioned R2's half was also stored in the Imperial Archives. How sick would it have been if they pulled a heist instead of Starkiller?

Yes. This would have been so much better.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It probably would have been, but isn't that the idea of the Rogue Squadron film? They are trying to steal the Death Star plans?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

It probably would have been, but isn't that the idea of the Rogue Squadron film? They are trying to steal the Death Star plans?

Well yeah; Rogue Squadron's always been set to be the actually-good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Rogue Squadron, featuring Dark Darth Vader.

• Locked thread