Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
When do I get to vote for solar plebeian on green light

edit: my childhood cat

Nancy fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

Go outside everybody

I did earlier.

It hurt.

So shut up! YOU GO OUTSIDE!

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

eXXon posted:

Didn't you have your own room much like that in X-Wing Alliance?

Yep just it didn't have a ton of frivolous animations as you navigated around.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well I am pretty tall.

Where are we at on the spare eye front?

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Derek Smart buddy whatever happens I want to thank you for making the internet fuckin' fun/dumb again

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Grinning Goblin posted:

Quoting this from a while ago because I finally told my friend's friend that Star Citizen is likely to not be released in any timely fashion if at all, and if it does eventually get released, it is going to be a giant trainwreck of poorly implemented half features and a ton of cut content. Which apparently he took well when I told him that. Then I found out the next day he went crazy or something because he found out that I was one of those "SA Goons", and the only reason why Star Citizen might fail is because it is being undermined by people who are working for Derek Smart and are trying to sabotage the game from within. This is all coming from our mutual friend, and I haven't asked him about it. Also our mutual friend is really confused as to why Derek Smart is working with SA and I had to tell him that this is only happening because of how dumb Star Citizen is.

You've got to be a bit of an idiot if you think people shitposting on a message board can undermine the development of a big software project. If a bunch of nerds shopping funny images and stirring up the fanbase can demoralise and derail development, then the project was already doomed to begin with. croberts only has himself to blame for this poo poo show.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tippis posted:

Sounds like a Hellraiser 2 rewrite.

Only if I get to test the tortures out on Schilling first...

Yeah, I REALLY liled most of the stuff Big Huge put out, and not only did Schilling kill them, but did so leaving their memory tainted with infamy... gently caress YOU, CURT SCHILLING, YOU YOU YOU loving ROBERTSIAN SCAM ARTIST!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

My favorite thing about the espresso machine is that it exists. My second favorite thing is that literally anybody who has ever worked in a coffee shop can give you a thousand reasons not to buy one.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Samizdata posted:

GAAAAAAAAAAAAH! gently caress CURT SCHILLING FOR KILLING BIG HUGE GAMES! gently caress HIM ALL TO THE lovely PART OF HELL! gently caress HIM UNTIL THE loving TRIPLES EVERY SECONDS AND IT IS THE WORST KIND OF loving!

gently caress him more for continuing to advocate for republican politicians, tax cuts, and "free market knows best" bullshit after defrauding a tiny and relatively poor state of $75 million dollars and then cratering it into the ground. Yeah Curt, laissez fare economics really did the people of RI a solid there. And I'm sure they'll get right on a lower tax plan just as soon as they figure out how to repay their state pension fund all that money you lost.

The guy is literally a ron paul Internet Libertarian rear end who probably would have spent the last decade playing WoW 24/7 in a basement somewhere, except he somehow had the ability to throw a ball really fast.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Or, I suppose the thread would say "the type that needs a chariot"?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tippis posted:

It's the one true way to play Elite, so yes.

I like you and all, so I won't point out how wrong you are. But I will say COMMODORE 4EVA!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

My favorite thing about the espresso machine is that it exists. My second favorite thing is that literally anybody who has ever worked in a coffee shop can give you a thousand reasons not to buy one.

In many ways, the $20K espresso machine represents Cry Engine. Yeah, you can use it, but expect shitastic results.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

But you don't understaaaaaand. CRobber saw that they had one at [fancy company] and Sandi thinks she saw one at [production studio] once, so obviously they have to have one too. What do you mean those companies leased it along with serving staff, what does that have to do with anything and what does it even mean?

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. But as I got older, I got the hang of it. Meditation also helps.

My latest thing is battling my teenager on stacking the dishwasher. Now I don't even go in there. It's harrowing. I don't know why she thinks they put a special section for GLASSES.

The biggest problem I have atm, is cleaning my glasses. I don't even what to talk about that. I go through a box of 200 Zeiss cleaners in a week.

I can see it now.

"Why are you putting the glasses *there*? That's now how dishwashers work. Pay attention".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Everything I know about Espresso Machines I learned from Jordan Schlansky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A8W77m-ZTw

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Clicked expecting a Queen song.

Wasn't disappointed.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tippis posted:

But you don't understaaaaaand. CRobber saw that they had one at [fancy company] and Sandi thinks she saw one at [production studio] once, so obviously they have to have one too. What do you mean those companies leased it along with serving staff, what does that have to do with anything and what does it even mean?

So, you can lease serving staff? MY DATING WOES ARE OVER! And I get GOOD coffee!

Also...

:pgabz: says PAAAAAAAAAARP!

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

grimcreaper posted:

Wow. I just lost all respect for mr. Smart.

That's the kind of poo poo attitude that hurts modding as a whole and gently caress the idiots who think mods are bad.

I think a healthy mod community is a great thing for a game to have as long as no one is trying to monetize anything. Were the people Derek was pissed at trying to make money off the IP somehow? If not, sans further information I don't see the point of going after them.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

In many ways, the $20K espresso machine represents Cry Engine. Yeah, you can use it, but expect shitastic results.

You're not far off. Yeah that thing will make a bitchin looking latte, but any sustained use of it and the loving wheels are gonna fall off.

Only in the case of the espresso machine, the wheels falling off means everyone loving gets sick.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Samizdata posted:

GAAAAAAAAAAAAH! gently caress CURT SCHILLING FOR KILLING BIG HUGE GAMES! gently caress HIM ALL TO THE lovely PART OF HELL! gently caress HIM UNTIL THE loving TRIPLES EVERY SECONDS AND IT IS THE WORST KIND OF loving!

Big Huge Games was already in financial trouble before Curt bought it. He kept the lights on and paid staff for one more project than THQ would have. Rise of Nations was not a money maker, and they were on the chopping block as THQ was losing money hand over fist.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Haskell9 posted:

I think a healthy mod community is a great thing for a game to have as long as no one is trying to monetize anything. Were the people Derek was pissed at trying to make money off the IP somehow? If not, sans further information I don't see the point of going after them.

Nope. FS2 modding has a history of rigorously ensuring that no one is making any money, even turning down fundraisers and donations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
also, i think i know what i need to decrypt that thing but i've got no idea how to actually do it

RIP

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Nah, just kidding around. I used be on Paxil for awhile, over 10 years ago, though. I quit cold turkey because I simply do not like taking any meds except if my life depends on it. As I got older, my anxiety disorder is in check. Some days are better than others. It's the mild OCD that's a lot harder to control.

Posting from the past but, I imagine that sucked. I dated a girl who did that. She ended up with hallucinations and auditory glamours from the withdrawal. For a few days after she quit, Satan would routinely come in and sit on the edge of her bed and ask if they could discuss current events.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

D_Smart posted:

I'm guessing a bunch of CIG engineers are running this through computers all weekend.

They can't even run an FPS engine through their computers and make a playable FPS, so I think they're going to have problems.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

You're not far off. Yeah that thing will make a bitchin looking latte, but any sustained use of it and the loving wheels are gonna fall off.

Only in the case of the espresso machine, the wheels falling off means everyone loving gets sick.

Well, given the level of detail and effort they place in patching the game I imagine the espresso machine is beyond reproach in regards to its condition.

Obviously, you know nothing of how espresso machines work.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

I still remember when a bunch of random people in the thread who didn't know poo poo about coffee tried to defend it as a reasonable business expenditure.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

also, i think i know what i need to decrypt that thing but i've got no idea how to actually do it

RIP

Milky getting milked

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Rookersh posted:

e: Also it's a loving espresso machine for an office? Who the gently caress makes espresso at work. Unless they also all got taught how to steam milk, which HAHAHAHA that's a workplace liability just waiting to happen. EightAce, how many people have tried to steam milk only to burn their hands? How many people have poured the most foul loving shots imagine from that machine? Who even uses that espresso machine. I need to know now. Most workplaces just offer brewed coffee because it's easier then having to train everyone at your office how to be a ( bad ) barista.

People have gotten really goddamned serious about coffee. In 2008 I worked in a place where there was a manual espresso machine, and the coffee nerds obsessed over improving their technique hardcore. I remember one coworker being elated at mastering foaming soy milk. Since then I've worked at places where multiple people hand-roast their own beans every morning, and refuse to drink anything else.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I still remember when a bunch of random people in the thread who didn't know poo poo about coffee tried to defend it as a reasonable business expenditure.

I loving legit refused to believe they had bought one. Honestly. I was a barista for like three years and I couldn't even imagine why someone would do that.

I was 110% sure that they had bought some kind of high end consumer model, which in my mind was a marginally defensible expenditure.

I was 110% loving wrong.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Obviously, you know nothing of how espresso machines work.

They're the ones you put bread in to get toast, right?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

…kind of like bad VR, making the simile even more fitting.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Stardew Valley is really fun and also exists, unlike Star Citizen.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Milky Moor posted:

Nope. FS2 modding has a history of rigorously ensuring that no one is making any money, even turning down fundraisers and donations.

Huh. Maybe it's a spectrum thing then, I dunno.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I loving legit refused to believe they had bought one. Honestly. I was a barista for like three years and I couldn't even imagine why someone would do that.

I was 110% sure that they had bought some kind of high end consumer model, which in my mind was a marginally defensible expenditure.

I was 110% loving wrong.

They're the ones you put bread in to get toast, right?

Perhaps. If I stepped up to the counter and ordered a double latte and you handed me a single. When I'd complain, you would talk to management and then explain menu items are subject to change due to the pipeline. We'd both laugh after I spent $5 on a $3 neutered drink and I'd walk away thinking it was awesome.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Thanks for the refresh :buddy: Just go to tindeck.com/users/ewe2 and all the parp can be yours. If anyone has a parody idea, I'm up for it. Trying to find a Bob Dylan one that isn't too specific, wordy or long right now.

Dusty Lens posted:

I haven't tried to crack the code but I'm going to be rather deflated if it's not goon deyadda.

:same:

I don't care about the "code". A keylength of 4 seems laughable in cryptographic terms, and I'll enjoy the reveal more than farting about with it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mdxi posted:

People have gotten really goddamned serious about coffee. In 2008 I worked in a place where there was a manual espresso machine, and the coffee nerds obsessed over improving their technique hardcore. I remember one coworker being elated at mastering foaming soy milk. Since then I've worked at places where multiple people hand-roast their own beans every morning, and refuse to drink anything else.

holy poo poo people caffeine's caffeine

i drink my coffee like i drink my booze-- as fast as possible for effect, preferably tasting it as little as possible

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
anything happen in the last 500 pages? Did Dereks cryptic hints ever come to fruitation??

Is this probation related to star citizen I can't remember and Dr.Smart has not given me high level clearance for plat access

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=422105379

dogsupremacy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 3, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Perhaps. If I stepped up to the counter and ordered a double latte and you handed me a single. When I'd complain, you would talk to management and then explain menu items are subject to change due to the pipeline. We'd both laugh after I spent $5 on a $3 neutered drink and I'd walk away thinking it was awesome.

Starbucks Citizen: No Refunds

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

holy poo poo people caffeine's caffeine

i drink my coffee like i drink my booze-- as fast as possible for effect, preferably tasting it as little as possible

I was a barista for 3 years, and the best "bar" guy in my store. I could tell you the ins and outs of all the different drinks.

I prefer Chock Full O' Nuts made in an ancient Mr. Coffee to any espresso drink I've ever had haha.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
r/dereksmart deleted the decription thread :)

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

If the CIG peon who reads this thread could take a picture of the $25 coffee machine that people are actually using to ensure they can survive the workday I'd appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

r/dereksmart deleted the decription thread :)

If paranoia could be harvested and sold as pills, reddit would be a wholly owned Bayer subsidiary.

• Locked thread