Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

Allllllll that smug oval office CEO needs to do is to get enough a: investor cash to live large and b: get enough distance between his name and the eventual failure of the business that he can say he "founded a startup, oh but its rude to talk about a startup's failure". Then he'll go on to the next, bigger thing.

That's all he cares about. They don't think this poo poo's going to work. They think that some liberal piece of trash Bay/Front Range millionaires that think people change their own tires because there isn't yet an app for it are gonna adjust their lesbian glasses and clasp their hands together and throw them a bunch of money.

thats all startups tho???

but yeah keurig blender is a dumb idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Citizen Tayne posted:

Someone said that they raised $200m so I guess it worked.
from such reputable brands as google ventures and campbell soup

also from that article: "Mr. Evans created a miniaturized version of the industrial juice presses he had used at Organic Avenue, a juice chain he developed that ultimately failed."

actually god drat that nyt article has a ton of choice quotes

quote:

Nearly as unlikely as Juicero itself is the man behind it. Mr. Evans trained as an Army paratrooper before joining a graphic design firm. His love affair with juice began in 1999, when he met Denise Mari, a vegan, at a nightclub. Soon he was dating Ms. Mari and converted to veganism, too.

Hoping to create an eatery compatible with their strict dietary regimen, Mr. Evans and Ms. Mari bought some industrial-strength juicers and developed Organic Avenue, which sold $10 bottles of cold-pressed, unpasteurized juice and other vegan snacks.

“It was a vision of a restaurant someone could go to where no animals were harmed, and no humans were harmed,” he said. “It was so magical to be able to have that. I was drinking several glasses of juice a day as my primary form of hydration.”

After the first store opened in 2006, the business grew quickly. But margins were persistently thin. New York real estate is expensive, and the inventory was perishable.

“We were on the brink of insolvency,” Mr. Evans said.

In 2012, Mr. Evans and Ms. Mari, who are separated but remain friends, sold a majority interest in Organic Avenue to a private equity firm. Shortly after that, both were ousted. (The company was eventually sold to another private equity firm, which shuttered all the stores.)

Upon being fired, Mr. Evans said, he had a problem. “For me, I was just wondering: How am I going to get my juice?” he said.

He bought every juicer he could find, but he was never satisfied. “It didn’t have the magic that I was accustomed to.”

So he resolved to create a miniaturized version of the industrial presses he had used at Organic Avenue. Working with freelance welders and machinists, he built prototypes in his Brooklyn kitchen. By 2013, he had a working model, albeit one that occasionally blew apart, sending pieces of metal and food scraps flying across the room.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 3, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a more subtle angle on the weird tech bubble is that some nerds are now passing through food service, not realizing that the entirety of food service problems are social problems, and providing technical solutions because they're the baby genius
its incredibly textbook

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's incredible how easy it is to take money from the Smartest People in the Room.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

this is beyond trash. this is the worst of every aspect of "internet of things" that we've been crowing like cassandra about. And I say that being a former smoker that quit with, and continues to use, an e-cig with DRM.

lol switching to an ecig is not quitting smoking

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ahmeni posted:

lol switching to an ecig is not quitting smoking

you can say whatever you want, and i'll know how much better i feel

also, gently caress you for being the dick that actually pipes up with this.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

you can say whatever you want, and i'll know how much better i feel

also, gently caress you for being the dick that actually pipes up with this.

it's def a million steps in the right direction and gently caress yeah for you but nicotine is still nicotine and I come as a dude who occasionally considers abandoning his family to start a new life where he can smoke again

Apr 7, 2003

ahmeni posted:

it's def a million steps in the right direction and gently caress yeah for you but nicotine is still nicotine and I come as a dude who occasionally considers abandoning his family to start a new life where he can smoke again

I quit smoking cold turkey and I do not give a gently caress or think about ever smoking again, and I smoked for 16 years. Evidently I'm in the minority.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i never started smoking because i realized early on that everybody i knew who smoked hated it

Apr 7, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

i never started smoking because i realized early on that everybody i knew who smoked hated it

I absolutely loved smoking and I still love the idea of it

I hate the idea of smelling bad and looking like a white trash piece of poo poo

that's why I quit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

I quit smoking cold turkey and I do not give a gently caress or think about ever smoking again, and I smoked for 16 years. Evidently I'm in the minority.

i quit in 1997 and i still want a cigarette at least a couple of times a week

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

half of all cigarettes are sold to people with mental disorders and something dumb like 95% of people with bipolar smoke

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

kickstarter project blynk actually succeeded and released a working product that does what its supposed to. but since they had no income model, they decided to add micro transactions which are mandatory if you actually want to use their apps, including for people who backed them

the server code is GPL and hosted on github

https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-server/search?utf8=✓&q=energy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BiohazrD posted:

kickstarter project blynk actually succeeded and released a working product that does what its supposed to. but since they had no income model, they decided to add micro transactions which are mandatory if you actually want to use their apps, including for people who backed them

blyn KKK

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

BiohazrD posted:

This was so dumb I went and looked at everything to try to prove you wrong and that it was an April Fool's joke but it is not. One of the iOS App Store reviews called this "the FarmVille upgrade" and, welp, yeah. WTF?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bisty Q. posted:

This was so dumb I went and looked at everything to try to prove you wrong and that it was an April Fool's joke but it is not. One of the iOS App Store reviews called this "the FarmVille upgrade" and, welp, yeah. WTF?

lol

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

I hate the idea of smelling bad and looking like a white trash piece of poo poo

Lol I got some bad news then

Apr 7, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

Lol I got some bad news then

Turn your monitor on lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Bisty Q. posted:

yeah, I'm in the process of rewriting the server to have unlimited energy, then ill post it on github. looking forward to the tears

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol never mind, the local server has a web admin panel

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most people here in berlin smoke in bars and clubs, and I like it (yes you are allowed to smoke in bars and clubs).

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
lol http://www.oregonlive.com/window-shop/index.ssf/2016/03/coolest_cooler_15_million.html
this is all gold but there are some choiiiiice bits

quote:

Coolest wasn't able to manufacture the exact cooler in the promo videos.

"The Coolest Cooler in that video was a one-of a kind prototype," Grepper said. "Ultimately it's not a scalable design – it's an industrial design."

The proof-of-concept prototype cost him $15,000 to make, he said.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
eh prototypes like that are notoriously expensive

Apr 7, 2003

pushing it as a finished product is pretty hosed up.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
we pre-sold a bunch of product for way less than it costs to make them and all we need to fulfill those orders is another $15 million, and that's why we need vc money

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Citizen Tayne posted:

pushing it as a finished product is pretty hosed up.

kickstarter.txt

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

anthonypants posted:

we pre-sold a bunch of product for way less than it costs to make them and all we need to fulfill those orders is another $15 million, and that's why we need vc money

hehehehe enjoy ur model 3 preorders fellas :wink:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Triton update!

quote:

Triton: Startup Behind 'Artificial Gills' Refunds Indiegogo Backers and Relaunches Campaign
The startup, which had previously raised more than $800,000 on the crowdfunding site, said it would restart its campaign with more information about how its underwater breathing system works.

they'll probably get even more money the second time

Apr 7, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Triton update!

they'll probably get even more money the second time

Nerds are incapable of not throwing all of their money at anything that promises to make their mundane lovely life less boring, no matter how implausible it is.

Apr 7, 2003

A space ship video game with space pirate rape? Take my money please. A cooler that plays music and has a blender built in? Sign me up. A provably impossible pair of mechanical gills? All my $5s

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

Triton's since responded by somewhat clarifying how its diving tech works, saying only that it relies on a combination of the microporous hollow fiber filters in its "gills" and replaceable liquid oxygen cylinders to deliver breathable oxygen. The start-up's holding back any further specifics of how its tech works due to intellectual property concerns. And while that certainly doesn't clear up any of the confusion or skepticism surrounding the project, it definitely hasn't slowed enthusiasm from backers. To date, the relaunched campaign has raised just under $250,000, blowing past its modest $50,000 goal. The "gills," which are priced at $299 for backers and are set to hit retail at $399, are currently slated to ship this December. Just don't hold your breath.

lmaooooooooooo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

idt I've ever been in a place with a cooler and said "man I wish I had a blender for some fresh margs"

Apr 7, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

idt I've ever been in a place with a cooler and said "man I wish I had a blender for some fresh margs"

It was always ever Homer Car for alcohol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol I bet a failure state for that totally not made up lo2 canister is cryogenically preserving your lungs

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

you could get the king ranch crew cab 250 of coolers (a yeti) and then just run the blender with an inverter and stereo from your actual pickup for under five bills

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Citizen Tayne posted:

gotta wonder what the battery life on that thing is

Apr 7, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why do you hate innovation?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Improbable Lobster posted:

they added a built-in Batterizer™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Sweevo posted:

they added a built-in Batterizer™

take your old cooler batteries and throw them in the blender for a refreshing energy drink

• Locked thread