Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Troposphere posted:

good to see we've resorted to personal insults because of differences in opinion on sci-fi television shows

Actually it's because of different views on whether stalking and personal harassment is a legitimate form of criticism.

E: If you can't take the criticism in this thread, maybe you should give up on your work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Troposphere posted:

good to see we've resorted to personal insults because of differences in opinion on sci-fi television shows

I just mean it's weird that every single traditional standard on dramatic quality, narrative, character, tone, plot, everything seems to take a back seat to whether your personal politics are being served perfectly and totally. You must not like very much stuff.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Troposphere posted:

just because you disagree with me doesn't mean my profession magically changes
I have no idea what you do aside from post about reading twitter all day, but the phrase "IM A CREATIVE!" is pretty loving weird here regardless if youre a trash collector or Salvadore Dali.

Twitter is bad for your brain.

1: Go outside
2: Do whatever your art is

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

FRINGE posted:

I have no idea what you do aside from post about reading twitter all day, but the phrase "IM A CREATIVE!" is pretty loving weird here regardless if youre a trash collector or Salvadore Dali.

Twitter is bad for your brain.

1: Go outside
2: Do whatever your art is

I used the word creative because it was being used in the post I was referencing. I don't refer to myself as that in every day life.

I post plenty of places other than here and don't even post much compared to other people itt so chill. the personal attacks are ridiculous. we're all posting on a comedy forum about a television show no need to do that poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Troposphere posted:

I used the word creative because it was being used in the post I was referencing. I don't refer to myself as that in every day life.

I post plenty of places other than here and don't even post much compared to other people itt so chill. the personal attacks are ridiculous. we're all posting on a comedy forum about a television show no need to do that poo poo

If you can't handle the attacks, it's a sign you should retire from the public, per your own views expressed itt.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

steinrokkan posted:

If you can't handle the attacks, it's a sign you should retire from the public, per your own views expressed itt.

I can handle it, it's just kind of dumb to bring up my validity as an artist in a thread about post apocalyptic teens.
the only reason I brought up the fact that I am one is because people were talking about censoring creatives, when learning how to handle critique and people not liking what you're producing is one of the most important things to have a grasp on when you make things and put them out into the world

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Troposphere posted:

I'd imagine Jason Rothenburg would agree with you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Troposphere posted:

I can handle it, it's just kind of dumb to bring up my validity as an artist in a thread about post apocalyptic teens.
the only reason I brought up the fact that I am one is because people were talking about censoring creatives, when learning how to handle critique and people not liking what you're producing is one of the most important things to have a grasp on when you make things and put them out into the world

Well, I guess I should mobilize hundreds of posters to prove to you that you are wrong and that you shouldn't be able to handle it because you suck. It's the democratic, Twitter way.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

steinrokkan posted:

Well, I guess I should mobilize hundreds of posters to prove to you that you are wrong and that you shouldn't be able to handle it because you suck. It's the democratic, Twitter way.

if you were able to do that I would be impressed and not even mad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Troposphere posted:

if you were able to do that I would be impressed and not even mad

Sadly I'm not a fascist, unlike you.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Guys please stop bullying creatives.

Oh.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
it is me, the evil lesbian fascist, here to kill all your straight white male characters and bestow immortality to the minorities

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Troposphere posted:

sick burn bro

Troposphere posted:

And he made it under 140 characters no less. Something you should be able to appreciate.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Troposphere posted:

it is me, the evil lesbian fascist, here to kill all your straight white male characters and bestow immortality to the minorities

Everybody in this thread hates you regardless

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hey, so, who is Luna? Have we met her before?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Pike's an rear end in a top hat but he sincerely believes he's doing the right thing. He spent his entire life on the Ark learning a ruthless way of doing things, than he crashed to Earth and spent months being attacked by grounders and fighting for his life and the lives of his people. The idea of peaceful Grounders or another way is just completely foreign to him and way too much of an act of faith for him to take. His actions are wrong but he truly thinks he's doing evil for a good reason.

Which is the entire point of the show. Lexa thought she was doing the right thing when she sent the Grounders after The 100, or when she abandoned them at the Mountain. Clarke thought she was doing the right thing when she killed the Grounders or the Mountain Men (and Women and Children). Kane and Jaha thought they were doing the right thing when they sent the 100 to Earth or killed those 300 people on the Ark. Abby thought she was doing the right thing when she turned her husband in to Jaha. Bellamy thought he was doing the right thing when he shot Jaha to try and help his sister. This show is all about people doing evil things for what they think are good reasons at that time. And then they wrestle with the guilt of it, especially when things turn out to show it wasn't as necessary as they thought it was, but even when it probably was the necessary action like with Clarke and the Mountain Men.

Pike is doing evil poo poo but he definitely seems to know that and be carrying some guilt for it. His final words to Lincoln were part of that where on some basic level he clearly respected Lincoln but felt he had to execute him to maintain order. Pike also showed some reason when Kane talked him out of killing all the Grounders. Sure, from our perspective killing Kane, Lincoln, and Sinclair is decidedly awful but if Pike were a madman he would have just killed them all and wouldn't be using resources on the Grounder prisoners.

This should all be common knowledge by now since every main character says "I DID WHAT HAD TO BE DONE. FOR MY PEOPLE." like 26 times an episode.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

enraged_camel posted:

Hey, so, who is Luna? Have we met her before?

I believe Luna is the leader of the Floukru/Boat People. In season 1 Lincoln was teaching Octavia trigedasleng so she could try to pass as Trikru and go with him there where they could be safe.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, I looked up Luna to see if she'd been shown before. I think her name was dropped, but she's never been seen. At first I thought she was Murphy/Jaha's friend with the boat, but looking at the show's wiki she has only been mentioned so far. Should be a pretty important character.

The one thing that confuses me though is if all the black bloods are part of a "class" together, and kill each other, how is the Ice Nation Nu Commander the same age as Lexa? If Luna was the only survivor of that "class" besides Lexa, and the next group were the Younglings that just got killed, how does the new Commander fit in all that? Was she just a black blood that lived way up north in Ice Nation and never came down for the Commander Deathmatch?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

One thing I disliked about the last few episodes is that major characters didn't make any appearance despite being in the same plot setting. Abby was absent during the entirety of Kane's attempted kidnap of Pike, and this episode we never saw Jasper, Jaha or Raven. And the writers haven't come up with any sort of plausible explanation.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Raven's supposedly laying low right now so the crazy ai cult doesn't find her, and Jaha and the Allie are kind of reeling in shock that one of their own had enough willpower to break free from their control. Their agendas aren't really crossing with Pike and the rebels yet, and there's really only so much screen time they have so they went with giving Lincoln at least a noble send-off.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

The one thing that confuses me though is if all the black bloods are part of a "class" together, and kill each other, how is the Ice Nation Nu Commander the same age as Lexa? If Luna was the only survivor of that "class" besides Lexa, and the next group were the Younglings that just got killed, how does the new Commander fit in all that? Was she just a black blood that lived way up north in Ice Nation and never came down for the Commander Deathmatch?
Its probably a sign of nanite blood contamination and someone shot up the ice nation girl at some point.

More lore will probably come when Clarke reads the old quickstart slave-yourself-to-the-AI manual or gives it to Raven or something.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

enraged_camel posted:

One thing I disliked about the last few episodes is that major characters didn't make any appearance despite being in the same plot setting. Abby was absent during the entirety of Kane's attempted kidnap of Pike, and this episode we never saw Jasper, Jaha or Raven. And the writers haven't come up with any sort of plausible explanation.

I understand what you mean by this, but I don't think they need to give an explanation. Not every characters need to be involved in everything.
But yeah, it is kind of annoying because it leaves us wondering what the hell is happening with these people. And it kind confuses the timeline. When we next see Raven/Jah/Alie for example, will it be after the plot of this episode? At the same time?

On another note, I really warmed up to Murphy. "He happens to like his head."
This guy will never die. He's way too much of a survivor for that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Murphy is great. The highlight of every episode, easily.

Richard Harmon really deserves a lead role, or even the lead role in an upcoming show.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
So had lincoln not turned himself over, would pike have actually killed the prisoners? We talk about how he's doing what he thinks is best for his people - but how would he even rationalize that?

enraged_camel posted:

Murphy is great. The highlight of every episode, easily.

This. The whole "she's here" as he was knocked down the stairs was great.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Murphy is a great foil/sidekick but Im not sure if that presence would necessarily make a good lead.

Like he was good in Continuum too, but again he was a good foil for other types of characters.

Depends on the actors ability to change to a more lead presence I guess.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Astroman posted:

Yeah, I looked up Luna to see if she'd been shown before. I think her name was dropped, but she's never been seen. At first I thought she was Murphy/Jaha's friend with the boat, but looking at the show's wiki she has only been mentioned so far. Should be a pretty important character.

I think Ice nation just hid her, it's not like they absolutely had to tell the rest that they had a potential commander. Every other grounder probably thinks it's an honor to be even in the class, so they wouldn't think anyone would ever hide from it. And obviously it worked, now they basically have the next commander.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Murphy's become my favourite character. gently caress yeah go chill with the Azgeda queen, why the gently caress not?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're boning before she dies horribly... take that to the bank.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Troposphere posted:

every one of your goddamned posts

I'm just curious, are you incapable of ending your posts with a period?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

O m g you can't just ask a woman about her period like that

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So uh just to talk about the actual episode instead of posting about posters posting about posts for a second...

Lincoln's execution honestly just confused me. Why bother bringing them outside if you're just going to shoot them in the head in front of six guards? Why couldn't they do that in that hallway? I mean, there's cleanup either way. I did think that outside of the overall downturn of the show and social media controversies, Lincoln's final lines were pretty classy and I genuinely felt for Octavia, before he made his inevitable sacrifice and after.

Also: Titus's death was pretty fuckin' rad.

But I think the show is in a bit of a nosedive right now. Despite the deaths, it feels like there are too many people in the cast and they're way too disparate. This feels like the first time we've seen Abby in months, and I have no idea where Raven, Jaha and Jasper are at. Then you've got Bellamy's characterisation being ALL OVER THE PLACE.

My other issue is that it just feels like the show drags in a lot of parts. It's really hard to put this into words, or explain quite why, that's the nature of the intangible "watchability" of a show. But it's unengaging and not...easy to watch I guess? Maybe it's because I've been bingewatching the show Banshee which for all it's problems you can just fly through episode after episode - there's a great pace and scenes lead into scenes, and it keeps you on the couch.

Whereas in The 100, there's just something about the way when Murphy and Clarke trundle into the "hole that leads out of Polis" set only to have Charles Vane turn up and deliver his "next time i see you we won't be friends" line with all the conviction and passion of a man ordering takeout, and Murphy visibly sags with the inevitability of their plotline and spells out "we're not leaving, are we?" - I'm just very aware that I'm sitting (bored) through a TV show, not looking through a window into another world.

sorry that was complete rambling nonsense, please resume complaining about twitter or whatever

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 3, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

VagueRant posted:

So uh just to talk about the actual episode instead of posting about posters posting about posts for a second...

Lincoln's execution honestly just confused me. Why bother bringing them outside if you're just going to shoot them in the head in front of six guards? Why couldn't they do that in that hallway? I mean, there's cleanup either way. I did think that outside of the overall downturn of the show and social media controversies, Lincoln's final lines were pretty classy and I genuinely felt for Octavia, before he made his inevitable sacrifice and after.

Also: Titus's death was pretty fuckin' rad.

But I think the show is in a bit of a nosedive right now. Despite the deaths, it feels like there are too many people in the cast and they're way too disparate. This feels like the first time we've seen Abby in months, and I have no idea where Raven, Jaha and Jasper are at. Then you've got Bellamy's characterisation being ALL OVER THE PLACE.

My other issue is that it just feels like the show drags in a lot of parts. It's really hard to put this into words, or explain quite why, that's the nature of the intangible "watchability" of a show. But it's unengaging and not...easy to watch I guess? Maybe it's because I've been bingewatching the show Banshee which for all it's problems you can just fly through episode after episode - there's a great pace and scenes lead into scenes, and it keeps you on the couch.

Whereas in The 100, there's just something about the way when Murphy and Clarke trundle into the "hole that leads out of Polis" set only to have Charles Vane turn up and deliver his "next time i see you we won't be friends" line with all the conviction and passion of a man ordering takeout, and Murphy visibly sags with the inevitability of their plotline and spells out "we're not leaving, are we?" - I'm just very aware that I'm sitting (bored) through a TV show, not looking through a window into another world.

sorry that was complete rambling nonsense, please resume complaining about twitter or whatever

I think the point was to execute Lincoln ( and yeah, he would have killed Kane too) in front of everyone. It was supposed to be a public execution to make a point.

You're right about the disparate elements. There are a lot of moving parts and the writers can't seem to manage them all. There's the plot of the Pike vs Kane in Arcadia, Clarke and Murphy's court intrigues in Bartertown (including Lexa, Ice Nation, etc and all the politics), Arcadia vs Grounders, the Team Octavia plot to act as go betweens, Jaha's City of Light Cult, and the whole overarching plot of AI vs AI from 80 years ago. As a result, whole episodes go by where we don't even see major characters and they don't touch on certain plotlines. Contrast this to a heavily serialized show like BSG, where there were sometimes A, B, and C plots but everything flowed much better.

If there's any criticism of Rothenberg to be made it's probably this. The writers need an editor. Or perhaps someone to manage them. Or, say, Run the Show...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
A lot of the threads are potentially converging.

Bellamy is the thing that bothered me the most, but at this point I just see him as a sadbrain PTSD kid who fell in with a comfortable authority figure and is trying to dig his way back out again.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Agreed. Although there's two fewer characters now, with Titus and Lincoln gone (and Aiden too, although he appeared in only a few scenes).

Astroman posted:

I think the point was to execute Lincoln ( and yeah, he would have killed Kane too) in front of everyone. It was supposed to be a public execution to make a point.

In front of everyone... you mean the six or so guards that were there? Because no one else in Arcadia saw it. They did it outside the gates, rather than in the public square (which is where you'd expect an execution like this to take place).

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rhyno posted:

I'm just curious, are you incapable of ending your posts with a period?

who cares

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Well I can't speak for the rest of the thread but when people post on these forums without a care for proper punctuation or sentence structure it makes it incredibly hard to take anything they say seriously. If you want us to be sympathetic to the things that this show is doing that upset you, try structuring your posts a little better. This isn't Tumblr.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rhyno posted:

Well I can't speak for the rest of the thread but when people post on these forums without a care for proper punctuation or sentence structure it makes it incredibly hard to take anything they say seriously. If you want us to be sympathetic to the things that this show is doing that upset you, try structuring your posts a little better. This isn't Tumblr.

who cares

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

The people you are trying to communicate with.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

BabyFur Denny posted:

I'm talking about television not writing my doctorate thesis, BabyFur Denny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BabyFur Denny posted:

Exactly. I'm sure she has plenty of valid things to add to the discussion but I'm pretty much blowing her off as a tumblr warrior because of her inability to post like an adult.

• Locked thread