Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Starshark posted:

Option three is he's someone who thinks the Aborigines were an inferior civilization - check that, he doesn't think they were a civilization at all - and his opinion doesn't belong here any more than someone from Stormfront. You might give the time of day to unabashed racists but don't expect me to.

You know what I'm trying to say and you disagree, but you're choosing to insult me and my choice of friends.

All I'm saying is that you win more with honey than vinegar - because right now the unbridled hate I'm seeing makes me not want to be here anymore.

You can have conversations without ad hominems :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Skellybones posted:

The Maya didn't have wheels either.

Good point, my apologies. Reading up on the history of the wheel it makes sense ("only useful if there are strong animals capable of pulling wheeled vehicles").

I guess my personal view is as

wikipedia posted:

Civilizations have distinctly different settlement patterns from other societies. The word civilization is sometimes simply defined as "'living in cities'".[27] Non-farmers tend to gather in cities to work and to trade.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Was the colonisation of Maya lands less just than the colonisation of indigenous Australian lands?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LibertyCat posted:

OK quoting from Simple aka "Wikipeda for Retards" is getting desperate.

It's appropriate for your comprehension level, OP.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Would nomadic steppe and tundra people, with or without wheels, count as civilisations?

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
I don't think taking anyone's lands are "just". Unprovoked Invasions are Bad. We're just arguing over the meaning of a word, not that Aboriginals are terrible people, sheesh.

edit: I would vote that no cities = no civilization.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

tithin posted:

You know what I'm trying to say and you disagree, but you're choosing to insult me and my choice of friends.

All I'm saying is that you win more with honey than vinegar - because right now the unbridled hate I'm seeing makes me not want to be here anymore.

You can have conversations without ad hominems :smith:

:smith:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Would a nomadic horde suddenly become civilised if they murdered everyone in a city, built a pyramid out of their skulls, and then lived in the city?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

tithin posted:

I don't know what the hell you just read, but it sure wasn't my post.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Skellybones posted:

Would a nomadic horde suddenly become civilised if they murdered everyone in a city, built a pyramid out of their skulls, and then lived in the city?

What colour are they and do I want their land

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
oh no wont somebody please care about pisscat's feelings

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
hang on - I am talking about the term "Civilization", not "being civilized".

If the murderous horde took over a city and adopted a market economy, specialized roles for its citizens, a system of law, kept track of debts on sheets of human skin etc then yes they have a Civilization.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
But you can have all those things without a city.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
what is the most advanced "Civilization" you can think of that did not actually build cities? It seems to me that historically cities go hand in hand with the rest.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Skellybones posted:

Yes, Ancient Assyria was a civilisation! Ten points.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

LibertyCat posted:

what is the most advanced "Civilization" you can think of that did not actually build cities? It seems to me that historically cities go hand in hand with the rest.

The Huns or Ghengis Khan's Golden Horde?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I look forward to the pedantic debate about what counts as a city.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I look forward to the pedantic debate about what counts as a city.

anywhere the bishop lives?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

LibertyCat posted:

I don't think taking anyone's lands are "just". Unprovoked Invasions are Bad. We're just arguing over the meaning of a word, not that Aboriginals are terrible people, sheesh.

edit: I would vote that no cities = no civilization.
They're not terrible people they're just an 'illiterate stone age tribe'. I don't know why people keep misunderstanding me.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
*develops sharing economy hundreds thousands of years before it became fashionable*

*isn't a civilisation*

*is pisscat*

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How do you define 'advanced'? The Americas had huge cities and burgeoning empires without having wheels, metal tools or domesticated livestock beyond llamas. Steppe nomads invented the stirrup and routinely dominated their city dwelling neighbours despite having nothing more permanent than large tents. Arctic tribes invented a thousand and one uses for seals and whales that nobody else figured out. Polynesians colonised the whole Pacific. The richest man in all of history was from Mali. The inhabitants of Easter Island built so many large stone monuments they destroyed their ability to live there, they dominated the environment to an extent far beyond the bounds of almost any other group in history.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
homer wasn't civilised because he didn't write

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Be honest, how many of you knew the difference between Atilla the Hun and Genghis Khan?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Does a giant pyramid of skulls count as an urban construction? The Mongols were really good at making those.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Be honest, how many of you knew the difference between Atilla the Hun and Genghis Khan?

Well duh they had separate campaigns in AoE2.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

LibertyCat posted:

Pretty sure Aboriginal tribes don't qualify. Social/political/technical development seems to have stagnated for a few thousand years.

and Cartoon, the answer is to fix that poo poo by disciplining the offenders.

Actually Aboriginals had highly complex social structures.

What a surprise that the guy who is a racist doesn't know what the gently caress he is talking about.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

[Libcat Looks at literally the oldest traceable civilization in existance]

Hmm, no good

Endman
May 18, 2010

Skellybones posted:

Well duh they had separate campaigns in AoE2.

Monk, I need a monk!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Endman posted:

Monk, I need a monk!

WOLOLOOOO

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Skellybones posted:

How do you define 'advanced'? The Americas had huge cities and burgeoning empires without having wheels, metal tools or domesticated livestock beyond llamas. Steppe nomads invented the stirrup and routinely dominated their city dwelling neighbours despite having nothing more permanent than large tents. Arctic tribes invented a thousand and one uses for seals and whales that nobody else figured out. Polynesians colonised the whole Pacific. The richest man in all of history was from Mali. The inhabitants of Easter Island built so many large stone monuments they destroyed their ability to live there, they dominated the environment to an extent far beyond the bounds of almost any other group in history.

All good points! Guess I'll have to shift the ol' goalposts here...

Aborigines weren't civilized because they didn't have numismatic currency.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't even know what numinastic means!

Endman
May 18, 2010

Skellybones posted:

I don't even know what numinastic means!

Coins and poo poo, basically. One step up from a barter economy.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Money is evil and distracts society from the communist ideal.

Endman
May 18, 2010

One cool thing we do know about pre-colonial Australia is that there were continent-spanning trade routes; archaeologists found shells and other miscellany that can only come from Australia's southern coast in the top parts of WA and the Northern Territory.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm skimming too much to weigh in in depth on the poop-touching tone argument. But I just wanna say that LibertyCat, you made a decent effort to respond to a fair few posts but Mithranderp's effortpost with scientific backing was not one of them. You need to fix that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Endman posted:

Coins and poo poo, basically. One step up from a barter economy.

Barter economies didn't exist, we just think they did because Adam Smith said so :goonsay:

Endman
May 18, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Barter economies didn't exist, we just think they did because Adam Smith said so :goonsay:

What

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Starshark posted:

See where engaging meaningfully with people like this has gotten us, tithin? Do you still think we should adjust our tone for the sake of filth like this?

Politeness is not the reason everyone got sucked into a dumb semantics argument.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Mithranderp posted:

This exactly. Women and people of colour are passed over for positions for which they're qualified all the time. And this isn't just anecdotal; it's backed up by peer reviewed research.

This study was specifically for a STEM field, but I imagine that it occurs across most fields, excepting the typically female-dominated ones, e.g. nursing (where I imagine that men are automatically seen as less competent, and where quotas would benefit men as well).

I don't disagree. Without going into specifics, I do my best to prevent such things from happening, and let people be judged on their qualifications and experience without ethnic background and gender coming into play.

quote:

And it's not really even something most employers do on purpose; it could possibly be solved with a "blind" application process, but that's something that a lot of small-medium businesses don't even know about. And even then you're always going to have an interview so it's impossible to eliminate bias even with an application process that is as fair as possible. and THIS is where quotas come in.

We agree there is a problem, we disagree on what the solution is.

What is a fair quota? Should this quota apply to rubbish collectors? What happens if there are nowhere near enough qualified applications? Should we give scholarships and bonuses to male preschool teachers to encourage them to enter the profession? Men are over-represented in prison, should they be treated with more leniency to correct this?

As a partial solution we should eliminate some of the more useless subjects in school and have a mandatory "life skills" class. It would include things like conflict resolution, role-playing how to negotiate a pay rise, how to do taxes etc. If nothing else maybe it would help with the "women being less willing to negotiate salary" problem.

Many of the people I know who are really good in their field have been interested in it since primary school. If we're going to change attitudes (and get more great women Scientists/Engineers/Doctors/Mathematicians) I'd start there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

As a partial solution we should eliminate some of the more useless subjects in school and have a mandatory "life skills" class. It would include things like conflict resolution, role-playing how to negotiate a pay rise, how to do taxes etc. If nothing else maybe it would help with the "women being less willing to negotiate salary" problem.

Why do you think that the problem here is that women don't know how to negotiate a salary?

• Locked thread