Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Last time SF talked about a border poll the DUP said "Sure thing let's do it" and it was Villiers who shot it down - the GFA does have mechanism for a unification poll but the power to call it is given to the secretary of state who can call it if they think there will be a positive outcome.

Polling last time around showed the majority supported the idea of a border poll even with less than a third saying they would vote for unification, the idea gets support from some Unionists as a way to decisively show popular support for the maintenance of the union (and undercut nationalist politics).

Its hard not see the recent call as anything but a bit of canny electioneering though, SF are looking to take more votes from SDLP who are split on the issue - the new leader Colum Eastwood supports the idea of a border poll now but much of the old guard (including former leader Alasdair McDonnell) opposed it on the grounds it would be a distraction from the real bread and butter issues. With Martin running in Derry against Eastwood (in the SDLPs heartland) to me this smacks of forcing Eastwood into the open on the issue - either he comes out and shows his nationalist credentials (and he is considered considerably more nationalist than other sections of the party in say South Belfast) or backs away to maintain party unity, either way it could drive possible SDLP voters to SF or Alliance depending on his stance

These are really great points and get to what I meant a lot better than how I put it. I lived in the North for about seven years from 07 to 14 at uni first and then just living there, the majority of my best mates were lads from a Republican background from Omagh and anecdotally I think their views summed a lot of what the younger generation from that background believe and I would agree myself.

What they always said was in their hearts they believed in a united Ireland but they had grown up at a point where they had early memories of the later Troubles but had mainly lived in a post-Troubles environment (with obviously being Omagh significant dissident problems). Because of that they had seen how much better the country was post Good Friday and accepted that the current situation was the one that was best for day to day living in the North so they want it to be preserved at all costs. Also interestingly they all identified (differently to their parents) as Northern Irish, I dont know if this is the same amongst their well educated equivalents from Loyalist backgrounds but it wouldn't surprise me.

Personally I sometimes speak a lot more anti-Republican than I am and that's because I get annoyed where people who have no real ties to the North speak very pro-IRA and also because my ex-girlfriend was in the PSNI in Derry for the last two years we were together and that changed my perspective a lot. Firstly having seeing the dissident threat first hand (the copper a few years ago who was blown up in Tyrone was in her training class) and also the little things like having to check under my car for bombs every time I used just because I gave her lifts sometimes. The other big thing was how much they were trying to undo all the poo poo the RUC caused, she regularly had to do community work in the Bogside where they walked around talking to the residents trying to get them to trust the police again, the police genuinely wanted it to work but the amount of mistrust that had rightly been caused meant they mainly just encountered abuse, I found this very sad.

TLDR: The most important thing in the North is doing everything possible to keep peace going.

Edit: Lets to the UKMT thing, 26th December 1915 the Irish Republican Brotherhood decide to stage a rising during Easter of the next year, this decision would have some impact on history.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I voted in the election for a GP guy because the smartchoice website or whatever said his views most closely matched mine. What's actually happening with our government?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I voted in the election for a GP guy because the smartchoice website or whatever said his views most closely matched mine. What's actually happening with our government?

Nothing at the moment. Lots of talks and negotiations and mumbling and rumours about FF and FG reaching out to independents - the SocDems have ruled themselves out from any minority coalition. A lot of nothing really.

The Dail will meet again tomorrow and there will be another run through the Taoiseach nomination process but no way is anyone going to get the votes and things will break up again till probably the second week in April, pressure to form a grand coalition might build after that - FF apparently changed their party rules in 2013 so that any possible confidence/supply deal needs to go before a special Ard Fheis and get support from national delegates, there's talk that Martin basically has to be allowed to go through the motions of trying to build support for FF-minority government before he can bring any confidence arrangement to the party as a lot of the grass-roots are incredibly hostile to the idea.

Its still a waiting game for a couple more weeks. SF and AAA-PBP did try to push to have a debate on scrapping water charges tomorrow (as technically new motions can still be introduced) but got shot down by everyone else so don't expect any business to get done for a while yet.

edit: By tomorrow I mean Tuesday btw

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 21, 2016

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

It might need to be called off. We can't have our next Taoiseach in hospital the day he is voted in!

https://twitter.com/PaschalSheehy/status/711686393836265474

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is there any prediction of what is most likely to form? What's a grand coalition? Would they ever redo the vote?

Cabinet posted:

It might need to be called off. We can't have our next Taoiseach in hospital the day he is voted in!

https://twitter.com/PaschalSheehy/status/711686393836265474

Hilarious but it's still a shame when something that happens that fits exactly what the Americans think of us.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Is there any prediction of what is most likely to form? What's a grand coalition? Would they ever redo the vote?

A grand coalition would be FF/FG together in government but the more likely outcome is FG as a minority (probably with a couple of independents) with FF support on budgets and confidence motions - its the only thing that seems workable but FF are fighting it tooth and nail and their opposition to a confidence/supply arrangement is a lot stronger than some people predicted initially. FG are still chasing a rainbow coalition of them plus every minor they can get and a whole wreck of independents but the sums don't work in their favour at the moment.

Nobody really wants a new election without having a government for at least 6 months first but if we don't have anything by the end of April there is talk in some circles of a rerun in May - that's pretty much worst case scenario though and everyone is hoping some kind of arrangement between FF & FG can be battered together before then.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
What's the story with Irish Water, have FF pulled the quickest back-peddle on election promises or are they just letting it slide till a government is formed?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Probably. I don't believe FF a bit with Irish Water when they were the ones who first floated the idea. All it is is a vote snatcher.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Anyone who voted for them on that issue is a bigger fool, but it seems some people were that gullible.

I'd hope it would lose them votes next time round but the electorate have been shown to have the memory of goldfish.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Cabinet posted:

Probably. I don't believe FF a bit with Irish Water when they were the ones who first floated the idea. All it is is a vote snatcher.

Wasn't it Ryan who brought this poo poo up first?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Seeing as the election has gone quiet, what's everyone's opinion on the Luas strikes.

I feel the management poisoned public support by leaking their "greedy" demands to the media. And it seems like most everyone in Ireland despises the drivers for the inconvenience and for not earning minimum wage.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Marenghi posted:

Seeing as the election has gone quiet, what's everyone's opinion on the Luas strikes.

I feel the management poisoned public support by leaking their "greedy" demands to the media. And it seems like most everyone in Ireland despises the drivers for the inconvenience and for not earning minimum wage.

Its the usual shite, the demands are reasonable but people are crabs. How its being handled in the media is a disgrace.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Marenghi posted:

Some people really have gone mental over this, the amount of bile I've seen over the idea of the drivers being paid a decent wage is v. depressing tbh - The fact that Transdev ultimately matched the drivers lowered proposal (after the first round high ball figure) of 6pc a year pay rises kind of gets ignored as people focus on the initial high estimate demand the drivers floated before it went to arbitration. The fact that people seem to think that everyone that works on the Luas simply pulls one lever marked "stop/go" all day is weird.

I read the pay rise deal was rejected because of "productivity" measures Transdev attached to the deal (longer shifts, reduced lunch breaks etc) as well as the introduction of a new lower pay grade for new hires - haven't seen much detail on that outside the fact it was rejected point blank.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I've seen a fair amount of "I HAVE A DEGREE AND THESE BOYS SHOULD NOT EARN MORE THAN ME A DEGREE HAVER"

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

I read the pay rise deal was rejected because of "productivity" measures Transdev attached to the deal (longer shifts, reduced lunch breaks etc) as well as the introduction of a new lower pay grade for new hires - haven't seen much detail on that outside the fact it was rejected point blank.

Yeah they mentioned they have problems with driver fatigue as is and worry it could lead to accidents if the working day was increased.

A 30k starting salary is nice for a relatively unskilled job but the top rate isn't great when you consider it takes 10 years to reach it, and it was going to be raised to 14 years.

quote:

I've seen a fair amount of "I HAVE A DEGREE AND THESE BOYS SHOULD NOT EARN MORE THAN ME A DEGREE HAVER"

I've heard this too much as well. Anyone I've asked why they wasted 5 years at college and not went for a job on the Luas said "they wouldn't lower themselves and be dealing with knackers on the red line".

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 24, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hated that terrible macro going around comparing junior doctors' wages to Luas drivers as if somehow the drivers should be petitioning to raise the doctors' salaries.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Right so now that all that Easter stuff is out of the way stuff is actually happening again. FG's talks with Independents to batter together a deal to win their support in the next round of nominations next Wednesday are well underway, with reports indicating Kenny will open talks with FF after a deal is hammered together with the independents. The examiner published an interesting outline of a supposed deal FG has offered independents re:Housing -

Examiner posted:

The suggested housing plans, to be followed by similar documents on other government areas over the coming days, include:
- A new housing action plan within eight weeks of the new government, which will include quarterly updates and involve input from housing charities and other independent groups in addition to “key performance indicators” which must be met
- A cabinet minister for housing.
- A new site valuation tax and vacant site levy to stop developers from hoarding land.
- A town and village renewal scheme to help address the hollowing out of rural Ireland and encourage people to move out of Dublin.
- A commitment to examine mortgage reforms for struggling families.
- “Improved access” to the tenant-purchase scheme.
- A commitment not to cut funding for rough sleeper, long-term homeless and tenancy sustainment protocol services.
- Doubling of available funds for social housing approvals
- New measures to link local authority funding directly to estate management to reduce the risk of empty or unusable homes
- Tax relief for landlords who accept rent supplement from tenants.

RTE has some more vague details of proposals floated (and an interesting snippet)

RTE posted:

A document on justice and equality circulated at the Fine Gael meeting with Independents and the Green Party promises the recruitment of more gardaí and enhanced investment in armed support and emergency response teams.

The document seen by RTÉ News also proposes a review of policing in rural areas and more CCTV along the road network and in urban centres.

The extension of operation Thor to tackle prolific burglars is also listed.

In terms of equality measures, it promises an action plan for jobless households and increasing the minimum wage.

Wage transparency and doubling female participation in the Defence Forces over the next five years are also promised.

Child poverty targets would also be reviewed.

The document also states that a LGBT strategy and a revised national Traveller and Roma inclusion strategy will be published by the end of the year.

Differences have emerged between various Independent TDs regarding the Eighth Amendment.

Katherine Zappone said she was in favour of repealing the amendment, but Mattie McGrath and Michael Healy-Rae were against.

Also more rumblings about Healy-Rae maybe being given a Ministerial seat as a new Minister for Rural Affairs, an idea he pushed on the campaign trail quite heavily (though he initially said he wouldn't put his name forward he seems to have softened his stance a good bit...)

Oh, and the Greens withdrew from the talks with FG and have pretty much ruled themselves out from going into government.

And finally Labour had their official post-election head-in-hands "what went wrong" meeting:

The Journal posted:

JOAN BURTON HAS told the Labour party she will make a decision on her leadership after a government is formed.
Several former Labour TDs called for a leadership contest while the party met to discuss its disastrous election in Dublin today.

The party’s seven TDs, former deputies, outgoing senators and failed candidates gathered at Citywest to discuss the worst election in Labour’s 104-year history where it lost 26 seat.

The meeting was due to run until 6pm although sources inside the room earlier indicated it would run much longer.

During the meeting, the party’s deputy leader Alan Kelly apologised for saying power is a drug that suits him in a Sunday Independent interview in the run up to the election.

He told the meeting he regretted doing the interview.

The well-attended meeting has been described as “frank and productive” by one participant. Burton’s leadership has been raised by several participants.

Several of those who lost their Dáil seats last month told the media beforehand that it is time for Burton to step down.

Former Cork South-West TD Michael McCarthy said the leadership issue needs to be addressed “sooner rather than later” and if that means Burton’s departure “so be it”.

Former banking inquiry chair Ciarán Lynch said “new leadership is required” as part of the process of rebuilding the party.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

And finally Labour had their official post-election head-in-hands "what went wrong" meeting:

What benefit does she have in hanging around another few weeks as leader. Will she be able position herself to staying on during negotiations?

I've heard the popular opinion in Labour is she's a terrible leader and has to go. She apparently made no contact or condolences to the many TDs who lost their seat. It seems the majority want a leadership vote soon and she doesn't want one until after the Government is formed.

As for Alan Kelly, how oblivious does one have to be to consider likening yourself as Frank Underwood to the media a good move. I suspect his chances of taking over leadership will be hurt by that.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Apprently a lot of Independents have walked out of talks with FG

Don't see FG pulling together a rainbow of Independents to form a government. They might get the Healy-Raes and the Rurals but don't see them pulling more than that.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Marenghi posted:

What benefit does she have in hanging around another few weeks as leader. Will she be able position herself to staying on during negotiations?

I've heard the popular opinion in Labour is she's a terrible leader and has to go. She apparently made no contact or condolences to the many TDs who lost their seat. It seems the majority want a leadership vote soon and she doesn't want one until after the Government is formed.

As for Alan Kelly, how oblivious does one have to be to consider likening yourself as Frank Underwood to the media a good move. I suspect his chances of taking over leadership will be hurt by that.

She might be stalling for time to see if there's another general election around the corner, if she stands down now and the party gets knee deep in a big old leadership scuffle just as another GE gets underway Labour might suffer even more. There was an interesting snippet in the Irish times today:

Irish Times posted:

Of the party’s seven elected representatives, three are said to be serious contenders for the position. Deputy leader Alan Kelly, minister of state Seán Sherlock and minister for public expenditure Brendan Howlin are said to be interested.

The party is anxious for Mr Howlin to take over but it is understood he will only accept the role if uncontested.

So if there is another GE Joan can stand down and the party can urge for immediate unity to contest the election and Howlin could get a clear run to ease things up. If she stood down now Kelly would probably contest it which would probably make it a race between Sherlock and Kelly which would probably be a messy old affair, Kelly is still has enough popularity in the party to possibly beat Sherlock who has only emerged as a possible leadership candidate after every other possible runner got knocked out - he was a dark horse pre-election and any bid he's going to put together may be an upward fight. Based on some of the talk I'm not sure how eager Joan would be about Alan Kelly becoming leader so it might be case of delaying hoping that a proper opposition to his bid can be rallied together

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So what with the current anti-union fist shaking going on over the Luas strike I think its worth having a look at some of the rumblings that have started to come out of some sectors which suggests we may be facing some more thorny industrial disputes in the next few months. I fully await the internet to begin condemning the following professions as horrible scroungers:

Train and Bus Drivers!

indo posted:

A union has warned Irish Rail it faces a “summer of discontent across our railways” if it fails to discuss claims for pay rises.

General Secretary of the National Bus and Railworkers Union, Dermot O’Leary, warned that in the absence of “real dialogue” on pay “we will be left with no alternative but to accede to the clamour from our members to ballot for industrial action, leading to the inevitably of a summer of discontent across our railways". He accused Irish Rail of “peddling untruths” in relation to the availability of newly trained drivers. His comments come as it was announced Irish Rail is postponing plans for ten-minute frequency services citing 'union intransigence'.

In a statement issued today, Irish Rail said: "Unions refused to attend talks over the new 10 minute service earlier this month. "Siptu and the Nbru said the dispute over the more frequent service had been overtaken by pay increases negotiated at the Luas, which they are now demanding for their members. "They said they will not engage with Irish Rail at the Workplace Relations Commission until it responds to their claim for an increase to match the Luas increase as well as the payment of 6pc due under an old social partnership agreement."

Ambulance Drivers!

Examiner posted:

Siptu ambulance staff are to ballot for strike action over, what their union says, is the continued refusal of Health Minister Leo Varadkar to publish a national capacity review of the service.

Addressing the annual general meeting of the union’s ambulance sector yesterday, Siptu health division organiser, Paul Bell said: “Our members have been waiting months for the minister to live up to his commitment to the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Health in February 2014 that he would publish this review in speedy manner.

“The minister’s refusal to do this leaves our members with no option but to ballot for strike action as the publication of this report into the operational capacity of the ambulance service is in the interest of both workers and the public.”

Teachers!

RTE posted:

Delegates at the annual Association of Secondary Teachers Ireland convention have voted overwhelmingly in favour of a ballot on industrial action up to and including strike action in pursuit of equal pay for new entrants to the teaching profession.

The motion at the conference in Cork called for a ballot unless the union's concerns were addressed by the end of August.

No one spoke against the motion or two others calling for negotiations on the issue. Speakers told the conference the fact that newly-qualified teachers are paid more than 20% less than their colleagues was "a creeping cancer" that was driving a wedge between teachers.

The other big secondary school union the TUI already has a mandate for strike action on the same issue and has been making some very angry noises...

RTE posted:

The President of the Teachers' Union of Ireland has called for a campaign to replace the Lansdowne Road Agreement and the repeal of financial emergency legislation that underpinned cuts to pay and conditions for public servants.

Gerry Quinn told the TUI conference in Killarney that the Public Services Committee of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions should follow the TUI's example and lead a campaign for the repeal of the FEMPI Act and the replacement of the LRA, in order to lift what he called its intolerable restrictions and provide genuine pay and pension restoration.

He noted that the LRA was backed up by what he described as "draconian" FEMPI financial emergency legislation which gave the government the power to freeze increments for groups who did not accept a collective agreement.

While INTO, the main primary school union, have already balloted successfully on non-cooperation with the Department of Education and Skills by refusing to work extra hours for administration purposes:

UTV posted:

Members of the Irish National Teachers’ Organisation (INTO) have voted to begin a period of non-cooperation in primary schools across the country as part of a protest against a long-standing ban on promotions within schools.

97% of members backed a call from the union’s executive for industrial action in response to the continued ban on promotion in schools, in addition to increasing workloads for teachers.

As part of the action, teachers will over the next number of weeks stop all involvement with the Department of Education and Skills’ on-going programme of school self-evaluation.

Oh, and people who work at Tesco too!

UTV posted:

Over 12,000 Tesco workers are to be balloted for industrial action over the coming weeks after trade unions representing the workers claimed the company has refused to accept recommendations from the Labour Court in relation to staff pay increases.

The workers representative trade unions, Mandate and SIPTU, have alleged that the retail giants are “attempting to force significant wage cuts on a large number of staff members.”

Their decision to ballot for industrial action comes on the back of a Labour Court recommendation on 19 February which stated that all employees at the company were entitled to a 2% pay increase and a share bonus payment.

However, trade unions have claimed that up to 1,000 workers have been told that they will not be receiving a pay increase.

And let's not forget that the government just barely talked the Nurse's union down from striking in A&E departments in January

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 2, 2016

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I saw my first "how can we pay the Luas drivers more when our nurses and doctors and gardai are payed PENNIES" argument on Facebook last week. I hope that poo poo does not catch on over here, it is incredibly depressing to see the anti-union poo poo US goons have posted in other threads.

An informal poll consisting of My Friends Who Were Back Home For Easter reveals that they are still pro-union in general, but that the Luas drivers do not have sympathy from the general public and their demands are too high.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Cicadalek posted:

An informal poll consisting of My Friends Who Were Back Home For Easter reveals that they are still pro-union in general, but that the Luas drivers do not have sympathy from the general public and their demands are too high.

The same people who have expressed an irrational hatred of the Luas drivers for even asking for the basics, were contrastly out celebrating the Easter Rising with patriotic fervour. None of them have opened a history book since the Junior Cert it would seem.

Apparently the only people who deserve 'the right' to strike are primary school teachers and medical staff, and even if/when they do strike there'll be trepidation and anger directed at them nonetheless, like their jobs are loving easy. Either way, you're getting puked on for pisspoor wages that you're expected to 'just accept'. No wonder a great deal of the people who have attended college in order to go into either the medical or education sectors have abandoned ship entirely and emigrated, leaving those respective positions open to migrants who will be given even lower pay because they're afraid of kicking up a stink and losing their jobs/getting deported.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I wonder what criticisms will be levelled at train drivers if they strike. I know a lot of people complained about Luas drivers wanting similar pay to train driver when they are much less skilled and just push a joystick forward.Will they then call the train drivers unskilled joystick jockeys.

It's a bit like how I've heard people mention bus drivers as more deserving than the Luas drivers as they have traffic to contend with, interact with passengers and lack security from junkies, ignoring the bulletproof glass pod they sit in. But when the bus drivers were striking I remember the same people calling them greedy trying to protect their high paying jobs from the government plan to privatise routes. As though the rising bus prices were entirely due to Dubin Bus drivers wages and private companies would run a better and cheaper service.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Aw gently caress, thanks for reminding me that they're privatizing Bus Eireann. :(

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cabinet posted:

Aw gently caress, thanks for reminding me that they're privatizing Bus Eireann. :(

Not sure how it could become more expensive than it is already

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
All FG's talk of the 'economic recovery' does seem to be having a rather large unintended side effect: pretty much everyone in the public sector now demanding a rollback of cuts, since the economy is doing so well apparently.

My biggest sympathies go to the Newly Qualified Teachers, who do the same jobs as their peers who qualified a few years earlier for significantly less pay. Its a grossly unfair system.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A tweet referencing an address in Drumcondra discovered in the Panama Papers leak....Bertie?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

julian assflange posted:

A tweet referencing an address in Drumcondra discovered in the Panama Papers leak....Bertie?

The Irish Times is reporting this in detail - apparently it's some crowd called "Pegasus Trust"

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/drumcondra-link-pegasus-trust-a-busy-client-of-mossack-fonseca-1.2596881

and sure wouldn't you know it searching for one of the senior lads listed plus "mahon tribunal" turned up some old reporting indicating he used to be Frank Dunlop's accountant

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/accountant-resigned-over-threat-of-audit-1.902691

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Please, please, please implicate some of our politicians in the Panama Papers.

I'm sure there's still plenty of corruption in the main parties and it would be nice to have their dirt outed.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Marenghi posted:

Please, please, please implicate some of our politicians in the Panama Papers.

I'm sure there's still plenty of corruption in the main parties and it would be nice to have their dirt outed.

Nice indeed, but not a guarantee in any way that anything would be done about it eg. prison time, fines, penalty of any sort.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Former FG senior election strategist Flank Flannery has been caught up in the Panama papers, you may remember he was effectively forced to step down when it was revealed he was in receipt of payments for lobbying while still in his party position.

The current talk is about the involvement of a mysterious offshore company in providing a quarter million as a security deposit for the purchase of a house in London.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/frank-flannery-unable-to-explain-documents-on-250-000-deposit-1.2597000

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Drumcondra address is supposedly related to arms dealing. Doubt Bertie, for all his misgivings, is into that kind of business

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Anglo Irish Bank was one of seven banks repeatedly recommended to clients wishing to hide their assets. Although this was specifically just the Austrian branch, apparently it was sold off during the crash because the senior staff in Ireland were nervous its shady deposits might get them drawn into a tax evasion investigation from the US.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/panama-papers-anglo-irish-bank-was-repeatedly-recommended-to-clients-1.2597669

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Another failed attempt at getting Taoiseach today

Enda Kenny only managed to scrape one independent to back him in the vote - Michael Lowry of all people. It's actually less votes than he got back on March 10th as Labour switched to abstaining in the vote rather than backing him.

Martin didn't get any independents to swing to his side and still trailed Enda by 8 votes.

The much courted Independent Alliance decided to abstain all together so the last two odd weeks of negotiation seem to be pretty much a wash.

Martin and Kenny are finally meeting tonight to open discussions so there might be some movement on government formation in the next few weeks.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Open the blood gates here we go

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cabinet posted:

Open the blood gates here we go

https://twitter.com/simoncoveney/status/717818039710978048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What does that mean exactly? Taoiseach and Táiniste or co-Taoiseach?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

What does that mean exactly? Taoiseach and Táiniste or co-Taoiseach?

I'm assuming full coalition with Martin as Táiniste (I would doubt FG have softened on rotating Taoiseach stuff but you never know)

There's a meeting of the FF parliamentary party tomorrow at 11:00am to discuss Kenny's offer. I believe party rules requires any coalition deal to be ratified at a special ard fheis as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Willie O Dea and a couple of other FF TDs have already rejected outright coalition by the sounds of it

http://www.thejournal.ie/fianna-fail-fine-gael-2702778-Apr2016/

They seem particular annoyed FG briefed the press on the offer, its looking like FG half expect the offer of full coalition to be rejected by the FF grassroots and blame them for their egotism and intransigence

• Locked thread