Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Kaislioc posted:

I feel like I'm a bit late to the party in noticing that the best thing they could come up with as a symbol for their vote leave campaign is a ballot box. They must have been up all night thinking of that one.

its actually a robots bellend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Francois_Dillinger posted:

He's on his arse. I'd love it if Labour went after the smug-faced shitweasle big time now.

And where are all the journos who were falling over themselves to tell us what a fantastic tactical politician he is? George has completely poo poo the bin with his latest budget and you would expect the Graun, at the very least, to start giving the useless oval office a proper kicking.

Fake edit: At least the New Statesman is having a go: Three centuries of data debunks Osborne’s economic theories

That's the thing about the media narrative. They can change it immediately and the results are retroactive. Now not only is he NOT the greatest economic mind of the 21st century. He NEVER was. It was never a thing. Move on citizens.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I thought this was an April Fools joke the first day I read about it but unemployed people in North Ayrshire have been getting fined on a ~training course~ run by the SNP-controlled council for such indiscretions as tutting, having their hands in their pockets and not wearing a name badge. The DWP even thought it was a bit too much.

"Herald posted:

Department of Work and Pensions has now suspended referrals to the STRIVE programme pending investigation into the workings of the fines system.

North Ayrshire Council have hit back at the claims and have backed their programme but one person who attended the course, who wishes to remain anonymous, has hit out at the fines system and explained what it is like.

:stare:

TACD posted:

He said Weetabix, but he was thinking testicles.

I thought it was shredded wheat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

I thought this was an April Fools joke the first day I read about it but unemployed people in North Ayrshire have been getting fined on a ~training course~ run by the SNP-controlled council for such indiscretions as tutting, having their hands in their pockets and not wearing a name badge. The DWP even thought it was a bit too much.

It's literally called the STRIVE programme. Fines for tutting and swearing were probably their major profit centre.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
BRIT. :stare:
PREVENT :catstare:
STRIVE. :dogbutton:

How long until the government goes full US and starts introducing bills with 'clever' acronym names?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
How much is the fine?

Edit: oh right there's a price list. Fining people 10p like its the football team in primary school lol. I suppose it's an over-zealous workshop co-ordinator who doesn't really know what they're doing, league of gentlemen style.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 3, 2016

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

crispix posted:

Literally this.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

http://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/716225916448456704/photo/1

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hoops posted:

How much is the fine?

Edit: oh right there's a price list. Fining people 10p like its the football team in primary school lol. I suppose it's an over-zealous workshop co-ordinator who doesn't really know what they're doing, league of gentlemen style.

I would still be bankrupt by the end of the day at 10p a tut if I were forced to go on something called STRIVE.

Also linked from that story:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/office-disabled-scots-forced-take-7239183#QKA0E4amxAoYArGT.97

We're living in a Joseph Heller fever dream. Turn up for the interview - you must be fit, no payments for you. Don't turn up because you can't ollie your wheelchair up the steps? No payments for you.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Is there any meaning in this or is it just word vomit?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Jeremy Corbyn is an old white man so he can't be at all progressive. Why can't he dress like Hot Gay Cameron?

The first letter is interesting though, at it reminded me that the UK is still one of the few countries in Europe without abortion on demand. And that Ireland is even worse.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Guavanaut posted:

The first letter is interesting though, at it reminded me that the UK is still one of the few countries in Europe without abortion on demand. And that Ireland is even worse.

Huh. That I did not know. I followed the BPAS link:

quote:

Is abortion legal?

Abortion is legal in England, Scotland and Wales providing it meets the terms of the 1967 Abortion Act. The law allows doctors to end a pregnancy if they believe that:

continuing the pregnancy would be harmful to the physical or mental health of the woman or her existing children

an abortion would be less risky than continuing the pregnancy, or

there is substantial risk that if the child was born it would suffer mental abnormality or serious physical handicap.

Two doctors must certify that the legal grounds for abortion are met, but do not have to meet the woman personally.

Abortion care must be carried out in premises which are licensed with the Department of Health and which are regulated. BPAS provides abortion treatment up to 24 weeks.

When there is a substantial risk to the woman’s life, or a fetal (foetal) abnormality, there is no legal time limit for abortion. Abortions after 24 weeks must take place at NHS hospitals. The charity ARC Antenatal Results and Choices provides information and support about fetal abnormality.

As there are 200,000 a year apparently, do we just apply a really, really broad reading to "harmful to mental health of the woman"? I can't see anything else that would apply for cases where a child is aborted solely because it's not planned.

Edit: Answering my own question, apparently yes, somewhat controversially.

quote:

In 98% of procedures carried out each year, mental health concerns are cited as the reason. The law states that a woman must face a greater risk to her mental or physical health by continuing with an unwanted pregnancy than if she had an abortion.
Two doctors need to sign a document to that effect.

Yet critics point to a study from the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 2011 which reviewed the mental health risks of abortion.
It concluded that for women with unwanted pregnancies, rates of mental health problems were the same whether they had a termination or gave birth.
Dr Peter Saunders, chief executive of the Christian Medical Fellowship, said: "When a doctor knowingly and willingly puts his or her signature to a statutory document saying something for which there is not actually any medical evidence base, then I believe that is not only immoral, it is also illegal."
But Dr Clare Gerada, chairwoman of the Royal College of General Practitioners, said the current interpretation is realistic as there is no way to predict the impact of continuing a pregnancy on a woman's mental health.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 3, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's de facto legal by applying very broad definitions of mental health and wellbeing, but there is a general reluctance to make termination of a pregnancy (within a certain timeframe) an absolute legal right like the rest of Europe that isn't Ireland or Poland.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, it's de facto legal by applying very broad definitions of mental health and wellbeing, but there is a general reluctance to make termination of a pregnancy (within a certain timeframe) an absolute legal right like the rest of Europe that isn't Ireland or Poland.

Most the GP letters I saw for termination just said something like "does not feel she would be able to cope". Nobody cares, you can opt out of signing these if you want and generally the opt-outers are the moral objectors, the rest of doctors don't particularly care and probably wouldn't bad an eyelid if it was legalised as per Europe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I mean from the political circles. Doctors being fine with it for the most part is the reason why it's de facto legal, but there's seemingly no political will to legalize it in line with Europe.

It's certainly a preferable situation to parts of the US, where it is de jure legal but some states go out of their way to be fuckers about it, like having one certified clinic in the most remote part of the state, but it is strange that it has still not been done on paper.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
The reason there is no political will ti make it officially fully legal is simple. At the moment if you want an abortion you can get one, its grand, making it fully legal would actually have no practical change. However if they decided to do that you cab imagine all the crazies would come out of the wood work and start raising absolute hell because it was in the public consciousness again.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Dog Pipes posted:

He's on his arse. I'd love it if Labour went after the smug-faced shitweasle big time now.

And where are all the journos who were falling over themselves to tell us what a fantastic tactical politician he is? George has completely poo poo the bin with his latest budget and you would expect the Graun, at the very least, to start giving the useless oval office a proper kicking.

Fake edit: At least the New Statesman is having a go: Three centuries of data debunks Osborne’s economic theories

I wouldn't because the guardian are useless pointless twats.

Looks like someone is angling for a weekly column.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

StoneOfShame posted:

The reason there is no political will ti make it officially fully legal is simple. At the moment if you want an abortion you can get one, its grand, making it fully legal would actually have no practical change. However if they decided to do that you cab imagine all the crazies would come out of the wood work and start raising absolute hell because it was in the public consciousness again.

Especially now our media is worse than Fox News (by Obama's campaign manager's own description) so we'd deal with a really shitted up debate.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Identity politics can sometimes be a mind killer. If the world consisted of only mens trousers then I suppose you could frame everything by what trousers one wears. Maybe this letter comes from a trouser based reality and it somehow crossed over. Makes you think.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

quote:

Yet critics point to a study from the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 2011 which reviewed the mental health risks of abortion. It concluded that for women with unwanted pregnancies, rates of mental health problems were the same whether they had a termination or gave birth.

Err - maybe that's because those women were able to deal with their pregnancies in the way that they thought most conducive to their mental health?! Unless the study literally forced women who wanted an abortion not to have one, I don't see how it could possibly be valid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I guess that's the sticky problem when you start framing women's rights issues as mental health issues though, and why most of Europe opted to go a slightly different path.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

UK First World Status: still confirmed (at least barely).

Otherwise nobody would have time for this poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

You can instantly tell Val Walsh is the fat one in her lesbian relationship.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

happyhippy posted:

You can instantly tell Val Walsh is the fat one in her lesbian relationship.

This is problematic.

Also unnecessary.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

namesake posted:

This is problematic.

Also unnecessary.

she's definitely a stupid one in any relationship tbh, that was one of the worst things I've ever read. A self described feminist critique of the 50s, focussing on the clothes people wear and not their substance. Yeah, ok.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know my grandad dressed like a grandad because he identified with the hetero-patriarchical masculinities of the politics of left and right and not because that's just what he liked wearing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If you are not wearing Top Shop's Spring 2016 range, you are not fit to govern.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Spangly A posted:

A self described feminist critique of the 50s, focussing on the clothes people wear and not their substance. Yeah, ok.

Actually it's brilliant. A perfect metaphor for how identity politics have become obsessed with style over substance. Nobody could have crafted such a perfect piece of criticism by accident.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Angepain posted:

Well, "Better Together" had to hastily rename itself to "No Thanks" a few months before the election, so I guess they didn't think it was working as well as they'd like.

There was UKOK as well.

I still sometimes can't believe we didn't win the drat thing with the Unionist campaign being as shambolic as it was.

EDIT:

I was quite surprised to see this- Peter Hitchens is disavowing Thatcherism, ne0liberalism, and privatisation. Apologies for the Daily Mail link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3520932/PETER-HITCHENS-Privatisation-Free-trade-Shares-great-ruined-Britain.html#ixzz44knVgVY8

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 3, 2016

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Coohoolin posted:

There was UKOK as well.

I still sometimes can't believe we didn't win the drat thing with the Unionist campaign being as shambolic as it was.

EDIT:

I was quite surprised to see this- Peter Hitchens is disavowing Thatcherism, ne0liberalism, and privatisation. Apologies for the Daily Mail link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3520932/PETER-HITCHENS-Privatisation-Free-trade-Shares-great-ruined-Britain.html#ixzz44knVgVY8

why would this surprise you

the only way this surprises you is if you know basically nothing of that whole strand of ur-conservative ideology

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
You didn't win because the majority of the Scottish people felt that their lives would probably be better as part of the UK, if I were Scottish looking over the financial information that was available I would probably have agreed also I could never really trust the SNP.

The politics of people look and dress is a weird thing and I've never got people getting invested in it, like that video of the black woman who got pretty vocal with a white bloke for having dreads and pushed him.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

StoneOfShame posted:

The politics of people look and dress is a weird thing and I've never got people getting invested in it, like that video of the black woman who got pretty vocal with a white bloke for having dreads and pushed him.

Its basically people who (rightly or wrongly) feel they are oppressed or who (pointlessly) look for something to be outraged about latch onto some inconsequential bullshit to feel they're Doing Something™ because tackling actual important issues would be hard.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I guess that's the sticky problem when you start framing women's rights issues as mental health issues though, and why most of Europe opted to go a slightly different path.

It's a weird example of the first mover problem - the Abortion Act was one of the very first times anywhere in the world that abortion was explicitly legalised (most of the US and Europe didn't get it until the 1970s) rather than being de facto decriminalised, and was done in a fairly elegant realpolitik way - the "mental health of the mother" allowance being made specifically because they knew this would translate into more or less abortion on demand without having to run the religious gauntlet that using those specific words would entail. As has been pointed out, the current law is just about good enough, and so is unlikely to be changed because then we'd all have to listen to Nadine Dorries again.

Had it remained banned-but-decriminalised into the nineties we'd have probably got a much clearer abortion on demand clause - although maybe not because they've been trying to drop the limit, with some success, since the eighties.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

thespaceinvader posted:

Which is why, despite it probably being overall less effective, I'm glad Labour has its own in campaign.

It's actually better that way considering the last time Labour and Tories campaigned together.

Coohoolin posted:

There was U KOK as well.

Fix'd.

StoneOfShame posted:

You didn't win because the majority of the Scottish people felt that their lives would probably be better as part of the UK, if I were Scottish looking over the financial information that was available I would probably have agreed also I could never really trust the SNP.

5% above the 50%+1 needed isn't that big of a majority. I remember reporters/people saying that the Greek bailout referendum for No was not a majority dispite it being in the 60% field and said earlier before that the No side for the ScotRef was a 'big' or just a majority at 55%.

StoneOfShame posted:

also I could never really trust the SNP.

Are you saying you don't trust a party that would fine you for putting your hands in your pockets?

For shame. I thought this was a SCOTTISH democracy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

I remember reporters/people saying that the Greek bailout referendum for No was not a majority dispite it being in the 60% field

I think you're misremembering.

Almost Ordinary
May 17, 2010
The Daily Heil is running one hell of a late April Fool's joke. Peter Hitchens has suddenly realised neoliberalism is bad.

quote:

I am so sorry now that I fell for the great Thatcher-Reagan promise. I can’t deny that I did. I believed all that stuff about privatisation and free trade and the unrestrained market. I think I may even have been taken in by the prophecies of a great share-owning democracy.

I thought – this now seems especially funny – that private British Telecom would be automatically better than crabby old Post Office Telephones.

I think anyone who has ever tried to contact BT when things go wrong would now happily go back to the days of nationalisation. Soviet-style slowness was bad, but surely better than total indifference.

And it’s all very well being able to buy cheap goods from all over the world, as we fling our borders wide and abandon the protection of our own industries that everyone says is so wicked and will make us poor and backward.

How I miss the old names of trusted brands, and the knowledge that these things had been made for generations by my fellow countrymen.

But the new broom swept, and it swept pretty clean. In towns I know well, car assembly lines, railway workshops, glassworks engineering plants, chocolate factories vanished or shrank to nothing.

A journey across the heart of England, once an exhilarating vista of muscular manufacturing, especially glorious by night, turned into archaeology. Now, if it looked like a factory, it was really a ruin.

Someone usually pops up at this stage and says that we still manufacture a lot. If you say so, but then why are the drug-dealers so busy in our new factory-free industrial areas, and why can I never buy anything that was made here, except from absurdly expensive luxury shops?

Why are our warships made of foreign steel? Why are the few factories that do exist almost always foreign-owned, their fate decided far away by people who don’t much care about this country?

And why is our current-account deficit with the rest of the world the worst it’s ever been in peacetime, and nearly as bad as it was during the Great War that first bankrupted this country a century ago?

If it’s all been so beneficial, why do so many of the containers that arrive in British ports, full of expensive imports, leave this country empty?

Sure, some things have got cheaper, and there are a lot more little treats and luxuries available.

The coffee and the restaurants are better – but the essentials of life are harder to find than ever: a good life and an honest place; a solid, modest home big enough to house a small family in a peaceful, orderly landscape; good local schools open to all who need them; reasonably paid secure work for this generation and the next; competent government and wise laws.

These have become luxuries, unattainable for millions who once took them for granted.

And now the remains of our steel industry are vanishing, not because nothing can be done (any determined government could save it if it really wanted to) but because we’re all still worshipping that free-market dogma that captivated us 30 years ago.

I never thought I’d yearn for the National Coal Board or British Steel or, good heavens, British Leyland. But I do begin to feel I was fooled into thinking that what was coming next would be any better. At this rate it may soon be much, much worse.

edit: Beaten like something that gets beaten a lot.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Pissflaps posted:

I think you're misremembering.

Sorry but I'm not. I have a very good memory when it comes to non-important things in life.

Almost Ordinary posted:

Please stop talking about yo dick.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

Sorry but I'm not. I have a very good memory when it comes to non-important things in life.

I don't believe you remember people describing 60% as 'not a majority'.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Almost Ordinary posted:

The Daily Heil is running one hell of a late April Fool's joke. Peter Hitchens has suddenly realised neoliberalism is bad.

Sounds like your populist right toke a hard look at Trump and the Front National and decided to follow their example, but please explain to me why even someone as far left as Paul Mason yearns for guns and tanks made out of British steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Sounds like your populist right toke a hard look at Trump and the Front National and decided to follow their example, but please explain to me why even someone as far left as Paul Mason yearns for guns and tanks made out of British steel.
Shut up nazi

• Locked thread