Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Tesseraction posted:

When was this?

Last year before the referendum, I'm not entirely certain when the offer was first made (sometime during Varoufakis tenure). Schäuble even offered them €50 billion in severance pay. It's actually pretty easy, if you quit the Eurozone, you can get a debt haircut. If you stay, you can not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Last year before the referendum, I'm not entirely certain when the offer was first made (sometime during Varoufakis tenure). Schäuble even offered them €50 billion in severance pay. It's actually pretty easy, if you quit the Eurozone, you can get a debt haircut. If you stay, you can not.

So he'd offer them €50bn that they'd then just lose in the subsequent bankruptcy?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Tesseraction posted:

So he'd offer them €50bn that they'd then just lose in the subsequent bankruptcy?

No, that money was so that they don't have to starve after the default.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

No, that money was so that they don't have to starve after the default.

Sounds like they should have taken it, but since it's Shitwolf I bet it was a poisoned chalice.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Chomskyan posted:

The entire argument that piece is making is that every Muslim, no matter how integrated into European society, no matter how opposed to violence, bears responsibility for attacks by radical jihadists. Are you saying that's not Islamophobic?

If CH was singling out Islam in its criticism of religion I would call it Islamophobic, but the point of view people like that take is a more generalised "religion is the reason that people do bad things in the name of religion", so in the case of Islamic terrorism they blame Islam, if it's something of a different faith they will blame that. "Islamophobic" carries the implication that the same attitude is not taken towards other religions.

If I were to call CH something it would be "wrong", and maybe "stupid".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GaussianCopula posted:

It's anti-religious, but I guess it's only cool if you are against Christianity or Judaism because they rank high enough on the privilege scale.

The equivalent scenario in Christianity would be every single Christian denomination apologizing for the Catholic Pedophile scandal. That isn't demanded.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

The equivalent scenario in Christianity would be every single Christian denomination apologizing for the Catholic Pedophile scandal. That isn't demanded.

No it wouldn't, the equivalent scenario would be that Catholic communities apologize for systematically turning a blind eye to the Catholic Pedophile scandal, that is demanded.

Where I live anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

khwarezm posted:

No it wouldn't, the equivalent scenario would be that Catholic communities apologize for systematically turning a blind eye to the Catholic Pedophile scandal, that is demanded.

Where I live anyway.

No, because Shia are expected to apologize for ISIS as well.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Chomskyan posted:

https://charliehebdo.fr/en/edito/how-did-we-end-up-here/

Surprise surprise, turns out Charlie Hebdo actually is islamophobic

Ugh, this entire article is based on the belief in a conspiracy theory about Islam criticism being somehow suppressed by a PC-mad media. Like all conspiracy theories, it completely falls apart if you spend ten minutes researching the subject.

Radical Islamic cults like ISIS are regularly portrayed as subhumans animals in western media. Misogynistic Arabic practices in Middle Eastern countries and in Europe are heavily criticised and integration problems with immigrants from Islamic countries are constantly brought up.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

No, because Shia are expected to apologize for ISIS as well.

According to who, exactly? If you go to France there lots of stereotypical 'Good ones' who tend to be Iranian and Lebanese.

Even then, from my experiences in the Middle East thread and elsewhere it seems that Shia groups are often expected to apologize for Iran, Assad and Hezbollah.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 3, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

khwarezm posted:

According to who, exactly? If you go to France there lots of stereotypical 'Good ones' who tend to be Iranian and Lebanese.

According to anyone who doesn't specify Sunnis (even though that's as dumb a standard as requiring "Protestants" to apologize for the Westboro Baptist Church).

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

YF-23 posted:

If CH was singling out Islam in its criticism of religion I would call it Islamophobic, but the point of view people like that take is a more generalised "religion is the reason that people do bad things in the name of religion", so in the case of Islamic terrorism they blame Islam, if it's something of a different faith they will blame that. "Islamophobic" carries the implication that the same attitude is not taken towards other religions.

If I were to call CH something it would be "wrong", and maybe "stupid".
Then I would like to see some examples of CH's take on other religions and why you feel they're at all comparable to the sweeping argument made in that editorial

khwarezm posted:

According to who, exactly?
Charlie Hebdo

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

No, the article clearly only talks about very devout/radical Muslims (a Salafi academic, a baker who is devout enough to have a prayer bruise, a woman wearing a veil) while their point is that Western society is slowly becoming to accepting of radical religion under the veil of multiculturalism.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If there were no people, crime rates woudl be zero.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Friendly Humour posted:

If there were no people, crime rates woudl be zero.

That's not true, they would be undefined because you would have to divide by zero.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Chomskyan posted:

Then I would like to see some examples of CH's take on other religions and why you feel they're at all comparable to the sweeping argument made in that editorial

Charlie Hebdo

charlie hebdo's general and staunch hostility to religion in general is very well known

one could argue that they're singling out islam as particularly connected to terrorism, but it's not as though they're implicitly pro-christian or something

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If there were no muslims, jihadist terrorists wouldn't be a problem. If only we had less peopel, we didn't have so many terror

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Chomskyan posted:

Charlie Hebdo

Reminder that Chomskyan has been feeding his confirmation bias about the evilness of Charlie Hebdo since Charlie Hebdo got shot up at the very least.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Sam Harris's general and staunch hostility to religion in general is also very well known. Incidentally he's also an Islamophobe. It's quite possible to be critical of religion in general but to hold particularly prejudiced views towards Islam. I expect that is the category of Islamophobia Charlie Hebdo falls into

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

waitwhatno posted:

Ugh, this entire article is based on the belief in a conspiracy theory about Islam criticism being somehow suppressed by a PC-mad media. Like all conspiracy theories, it completely falls apart if you spend ten minutes researching the subject.

That's something French pundits and a significant part of our political class has clearly decided not to bother doing anymore. That opinion piece isn't surprising in this context, it's pretty fashionable to imply the state's been too tolerant of Muslims these days.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Chomskyan posted:

Sam Harris's general and staunch hostility to religion in general is also very well known. Incidentally he's also an Islamophobe. It's quite possible to be critical of religion in general but to hold particularly prejudiced views towards Islam. I expect that is the category of Islamophobia Charlie Hebdo falls into

it is possible that things have changed since charb got murdered, but this at least did not use to be the case, c.f. http://www.lemonde.fr/actualite-medias/article/2015/04/15/le-livre-posthume-de-charb_4616005_3236.html

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

computer parts posted:

According to anyone who doesn't specify Sunnis (even though that's as dumb a standard as requiring "Protestants" to apologize for the Westboro Baptist Church).
I guess I'm just not too worked up if somebody says 'I'm disappointed Christians let this happen' as opposed to 'I'm disappointed the Independent Baptist Church of America Dassel Michigan parish let this happen'.

Chomskyan posted:

Charlie Hebdo

Yeah Hebdo made it abundantly clear they were talking about every sect of Islam and every single Muslim, from Ahmadiyya to Twelver Shiism as opposed to the Maliki Sunni branch that predominates among most French Muslims and the communities that contribute most to radicalism.

It is very important to reduce CH to nothing but a bunch of racist raving islamophobes among certain types of people, I wonder why?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

khwarezm posted:

It is very important to reduce CH to nothing but a bunch of racist raving islamophobes among certain types of people, I wonder why?

Because saying "well they're wrong" implies there is an actual issue to be talked about, when you could just say "well they're islamophobes, and also literal nazis FN" to prevent a debate you may end up losing :v:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
I wonder if the people standing up for the Muslims in this instance are also supporting the Christian baker that would not produce a wedding cake for a gay wedding because of his believes?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh CH does hold islam in open and cheerful contempt, so saying they're not "islamophobic" is perhaps not the best argument to push, but they at least used to be pro-laïcité rather than specifically anti-muslim, particularly that brand of anti-muslim as a cover for racism that is so popular among e.g. the Front National

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

they have specifically called out the FN for that poo poo previously, so it's not as though they're unaware of that phenomenon

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

tbh CH does hold islam in open and cheerful contempt, so saying they're not "islamophobic" is perhaps not the best argument to push, but they at least used to be pro-laïcité rather than specifically anti-muslim, particularly that brand of anti-muslim as a cover for racism that is so popular among e.g. the Front National

The word "islamophobia" is used as shorthand for "hating muslims (because gently caress brown people)", not for "hating aspects of islamic religious organisations without having a problem with individual believers".

The word would technically be better suited to the latter but it already ended up meaning the former.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Chomskyan posted:

They are a publication that has run covers such as this (nws?) and are generally known to have a strong anti-religious stance in general. Are they saying that other religions are not as bad as Islam? I don't know, but I wouldn't believe so.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blowfish posted:

The word "islamophobia" is used as shorthand for "hating muslims (because gently caress brown people)", not for "hating aspects of islamic religious organisations without having a problem with individual believers".

The word would technically be better suited to the latter but it already ended up meaning the former.

The people who use 'Islamophobia' tend to be the latter decrying the former for making GBS threads up the discussion with their poorly-conceiled dogwhistle. You may well have legitimate concerns over the proliferation of Salafist and Wahabbist ideology, but the problem is you can find yourself sharing a stage with people who just want the 'muzzies' dead. Instead what tends to happen is people with little understanding of the situation just assume that the ubiquitous Muslim horde can be examined as a single entity and ignore that, just like how Judaism and Christianity went from being brutal and warmongering religions to relatively benign outside exceptions like the United States, Islam is perfectly capable of doing the same. Mostly the problem exists in the form of the House of Saud.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

YF-23 posted:

They are a publication that has run covers such as this (nws?) and are generally known to have a strong anti-religious stance in general. Are they saying that other religions are not as bad as Islam? I don't know, but I wouldn't believe so.

Other major religions in Europe have a rich and proud history of getting crushed under the heel of the state over and over again domesticated, and outside of post-Soviet shitholes have largely staid that way, so there just isn't as much to get worked up over for dedicated secularists living in Central and Western Europe..

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

The people who use 'Islamophobia' tend to be the latter decrying the former for making GBS threads up the discussion with their poorly-conceiled dogwhistle. You may well have legitimate concerns over the proliferation of Salafist and Wahabbist ideology, but the problem is you can find yourself sharing a stage with people who just want the 'muzzies' dead. Instead what tends to happen is people with little understanding of the situation just assume that the ubiquitous Muslim horde can be examined as a single entity and ignore that, just like how Judaism and Christianity went from being brutal and warmongering religions to relatively benign outside exceptions like the United States, Islam is perfectly capable of doing the same. Mostly the problem exists in the form of the House of Saud.

Well, I don't think Judaism has changed all that much, as it never was brutal and warmongering outside of "leave us alone or else JHWH is going to make you regret loving with us". They are also the only Abrahamic religions that does not have a mission to proselytize.

As for Christianity, it was created as a religion of peaceful resistance against oppression and was perverted by people who wanted to use it for brutality and warmongering, while Islam was created by an Arabic warlord who used it to organize his warmongering and brutality. That does not mean that the House of Saud and the Muslim Brotherhood are not to blame for the current mess, but there is a clear difference between those 3 religions.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, I don't think Judaism has changed all that much, as it never was brutal and warmongering outside of "leave us alone or else JHWH is going to make you regret loving with us".

Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, I don't think Judaism has changed all that much, as it never was brutal and warmongering outside of "leave us alone or else JHWH is going to make you regret loving with us". They are also the only Abrahamic religions that does not have a mission to proselytize.

As for Christianity, it was created as a religion of peaceful resistance against oppression and was perverted by people who wanted to use it for brutality and warmongering, while Islam was created by an Arabic warlord who used it to organize his warmongering and brutality. That does not mean that the House of Saud and the Muslim Brotherhood are not to blame for the current mess, but there is a clear difference between those 3 religions.

Christianity was created as an apocalyptic religion reveling in the thought that millions of people would be tortured and annihilated, but thankfully the supernatural would do all the dirty work. The pacifistic elements came in after it became apparent there wasn't going to be a figure coming in clouds to burn all the Romans alive anytime soon.

Islam was created by a merchant.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, I don't think Judaism has changed all that much, as it never was brutal and warmongering outside of "leave us alone or else JHWH is going to make you regret loving with us".

what.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GaussianCopula posted:

No, it wasn't :allears:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Well, they were loving (literally) with the Israelits to seduce them to worship Baal-Peor. JHWH couldn't let that just slip.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, they were loving (literally) with the Israelits to seduce them to worship Baal-Peor. JHWH couldn't let that just slip.

And the Caliphate just existed to save those pagans from the darkness of hell. YHWH was giving them a blessing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Better hope your daughter has never ridden a bike then, because Deuteronomy 22:21-22 says if there's no blood on the sheets she should be stoned to death by the village men.

Check out 22:23-24 too, which says if an engaged virgin is raped in the city she must be stoned to death too, because she clearly wasn't trying hard enough to get away and therefore she enjoys it.

As to your proselytising, perhaps, but it also says in Deuteronomy 13:1-11 that apostasy should be punished by stoning.

New Testament wise you're right, it teaches kinder things, but 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 makes sure that women know their place.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

Better hope your daughter has never ridden a bike then, because Deuteronomy 22:21-22 says if there's no blood on the sheets she should be stoned to death by the village men.

Check out 22:23-24 too, which says if an engaged virgin is raped in the city she must be stoned to death too, because she clearly wasn't trying hard enough to get away and therefore she enjoys it.

As to your proselytising, perhaps, but it also says in Deuteronomy 13:1-11 that apostasy should be punished by stoning.

New Testament wise you're right, it teaches kinder things, but 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 makes sure that women know their place.

Psalm 137:8-9

"O daughter of Babylon, you devastated one, how blessed will be the one who repays you with the recompense with which you have repaid us. How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rocks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

No you see these are not core parts of the religion and don't count, because my essentialism is better than your essentialism.