Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

That flip was entirely unexpected for me... I mean, I saw it and then started doubting what I'd seen, because the rest of the scene was him and Lance running around and falling into stuff and each other like the typical person scared of bees would; maybe somewhat more dramatized for humor purposes.

Well, they did kind of set it up earlier in the season by giving him the background of a former Olympic athlete.

Rhyno posted:

Also Emily Kinney is friggin adorable, who wouldn't want her on their show?

The thing that kind of bugs me about her is that she looks exactly like a tinier version of Rachel Harris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Brother Entropy posted:

why did two different dc tv shows this week have mediocre episodes where a gay glasses boy kinda-sorta joins the team and helps stop the villain-of-the-week with soundwave frequency technobabble

Progressive agenda babie, WB is like their killdozer.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

since the focus of curtis is inventing things and not hacking lets hope for some crazy new trick arrows

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
It's time for the cat arrow to shine.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

why did two different dc tv shows this week have mediocre episodes where a gay glasses boy kinda-sorta joins the team and helps stop the villain-of-the-week with soundwave frequency technobabble

There was also the Mariah Carey joke in both Supergirl and Arrow.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MildShow posted:

There was also the Mariah Carey joke in both Supergirl and Arrow.

Wait, what was the joke in Arrow?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

PowerBeard posted:

So, do we have a betting pool for whose grave that is?

Part of me would put money on Vixen, seeing as it's someone Oliver and Barry knows, who would also upset Felicity.

The grave contains the remains of the poor forgotten salmon ladder, who died of neglect between seasons.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So why do these adaptations do away with secret identities? Is it just something that people regard as a relic of the 40's that we can do without?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have you watched the Flash?

Because it's irritating to the audience.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

EricFate posted:

The grave contains the remains of the poor forgotten salmon ladder, who died of neglect between seasons.

When are we going to get the origin of the salmon ladder on the island

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

nooneofconsequence posted:

When are we going to get the origin of the salmon ladder on the island

That's what's inside the idol.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I don't know what is worse: the fact that we saw a bunch of bees turn into a god drat golem (for literally no loving reason, since a single bee by itself is lethal), or that the writers blatantly stole a plot point straight from Daredevil Season 2 (with Darkh using another prisoner's grandmother as leverage to buy their loyalty).

I mean, the fact that they re-used by far the least popular Flash/Arrow villain is proof that they're scraping the bottom of the barrel, but this was straight up trash.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

enraged_camel posted:

I don't know what is worse: the fact that we saw a bunch of bees turn into a god drat golem (for literally no loving reason, since a single bee by itself is lethal), or that the writers blatantly stole a plot point straight from Daredevil Season 2 (with Darkh using another prisoner's grandmother as leverage to buy their loyalty).

I mean, the fact that they re-used by far the least popular Flash/Arrow villain is proof that they're scraping the bottom of the barrel, but this was straight up trash.

To your first point, I agree it's dumb, but the reason is obvious: They needed to give Stephen Amell something to shoot arrows into and punch, and punching bees is just silly.

Second point, ummm, do you really think they somehow saw DD S2 earlier than everyone else, or got to look at DD S2 scripts somehow before they wrote this episode?

Also, you seem to be in the extreme minority since most of us expected a terrible episode, but were pleasantly surprised with its quality. Straight up trash? Ok.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't think Daredevil invented the idea of prison blackmail.

In fact, this wasn't even the same thing. Fisk didn't threaten someone's grandma, he bought their loyalty by paying their mother's rent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

To your first point, I agree it's dumb, but the reason is obvious: They needed to give Stephen Amell something to shoot arrows into and punch, and punching bees is just silly.

Second point, ummm, do you really think they somehow saw DD S2 earlier than everyone else, or got to look at DD S2 scripts somehow before they wrote this episode?

Also, you seem to be in the extreme minority since most of us expected a terrible episode, but were pleasantly surprised with its quality. Straight up trash? Ok.

He's always wrong. It's a constant of the universe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

At least Darhk got a nice scenery-chewing speech out of it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

Maybe that's the issue: they keep going back to one of the show's weakest points, which is fight choreography. It's just unbelievably awful.

It used to be great. This was the ending of the pilot back in Season 1. Really, really solid scene all around. This was also from Season 1. Again, great scene.

Four years later, this is what we get:

I mean lol, just lol. What the gently caress is this, power rangers?

quote:

Are you sure you weren't pleasantly surprised only because half the episode wasn't about the Olicity drama? From that perspective, you're right, it was a step up.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 3, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

So why do these adaptations do away with secret identities? Is it just something that people regard as a relic of the 40's that we can do without?

Not having your secret identity publicly known is a generally good idea.

But the whole "I can't tell tell my closest friends and loved ones I'm secretly a superhero in order to keep them safe," argument doesn't really work when your closest friends and loved ones are still constantly being kidnapped by bad guys, and rescued by you in a costume. At that point it's just easier to tell them what you're up to, rather than having them wondering why you keep flaking out every time something Lord Destructotron shows up.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 3, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

He's always wrong. It's a constant of the universe.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

:smug:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

enraged_camel posted:

Are you sure you weren't pleasantly surprised only because half the episode wasn't about the Olicity drama? From that perspective, you're right, it was a step up.

That's part of it, and I think I speak for most of us on that point, but it was also:

1) Even a just "OK" episode seems better after so many "ugh" ones.
2) It was way more lighthearted than recently, with a lot of jokes and references.
3) Everything with Curtis was an improvement.

In regards to the fight choreography, it's funny you bring that up for two reasons:

1) I've been thinking: Remember in Season 1 or 2 there was a really great hallway fight sequence that everyone raved about and was obviously inspired by Oldboy's? Flash-forward however long, and everyone forgot about that by the time Daredevil S1 had its hallway fight sequence, and no one remembers the Arrow one. That's funny to me and probably says something about the decline of the quality on Arrow as far as that goes. (Note: I'm not trying to say at all that Arrow's was better than DD's or that Arrow has the same $ to work with as DD.)

2) Legends just had a drat good fight sequence just this week. I mean it was brief, but it was good, which is interesting.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

2) It was way more lighthearted than recently, with a lot of jokes and references.
3) Everything with Curtis was an improvement.

I agree but only kinda-sorta. I like Curtis a lot, and in fact he's probably one of the best characters on the show right now. My issue is that he seemed to be filling the exact same role as old Felicity, and his behavior (star-struck awkward techno-wizard who makes bad jokes with bad timing) is the exact same as old Felicity. I was hoping for some originality, and besides his obvious athletic ability and sexual orientation, we haven't seen anything.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I agree but only kinda-sorta. I like Curtis a lot, and in fact he's probably one of the best characters on the show right now. My issue is that he seemed to be filling the exact same role as old Felicity, and his behavior (star-struck awkward techno-wizard who makes bad jokes with bad timing) is the exact same as old Felicity. I was hoping for some originality, and besides his obvious athletic ability and sexual orientation, we haven't seen anything.

I feel for you, but we're probably not going to get old Felicity back, the damage has been done. I mean, I thought S1 Oliver and Felicity had much more natural chemistry than Oliver and Laurel, so I kind of shipped them. But let's face it, the Olicity ship has done a Titanic.

It will be pretty hard to get Felicity back down into the Arrow Cave acting like her S1 self, so if we can't get S1 Felicity back, we can at least enjoy having her non-union Mexican gay black guy equivalent.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 3, 2016

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I don't remember Felicity being starstruck, but maybe I'm wrong.

You know what would be hilarious? If Curtis as the "Oracle" character also gets into a relationship with Ollie, and at the beginning we all like it, but then a season later it's full of the same melodrama as Olicity and it gets to the point like it did with Felicity where we just want him to go away.

Curllie? Ollitis? Collie?

You know somewhere, someone is seriously planning/advocating for this. *Not that there's anything wrong with that.

enraged_camel posted:

besides his obvious athletic ability

It comes off pretty natural doesn't it?

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 3, 2016

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The show can still do some pretty bitchin fight scenes.

But I felt like the back half of last year's story really saw a drop off in their quality with the ninja's getting punked like the foot clan every episode.

And this year we've got Team Arrow beating up the same endless Dahrk goons, and some of those have been really and truly terrible. Like the hilarious bit where Thea kinda halfassedly hits a guy and he goes flying head first into a vase.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

Maybe that's the issue: they keep going back to one of the show's weakest points, which is fight choreography. It's just unbelievably awful.

It used to be great. This was the ending of the pilot back in Season 1. Really, really solid scene all around. This was also from Season 1. Again, great scene.

Four years later, this is what we get:

I mean lol, just lol. What the gently caress is this, power rangers?

Power rangers has good fight choreography though

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
The first Olly vs Ra's fight from season 3 was amazing, so it's not like they're incapable of doing those scenes anymore

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Longbaugh01 posted:

1) I've been thinking: Remember in Season 1 or 2 there was a really great hallway fight sequence that everyone raved about and was obviously inspired by Oldboy's? Flash-forward however long, and everyone forgot about that by the time Daredevil S1 had its hallway fight sequence, and no one remembers the Arrow one. That's funny to me and probably says something about the decline of the quality on Arrow as far as that goes. (Note: I'm not trying to say at all that Arrow's was better than DD's or that Arrow has the same $ to work with as DD.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99MH4uSypzI This one?

I like Arrow. A lot. But I loved it back when Ollie killed the gently caress outta everyone.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mystery Opponent posted:

The first Olly vs Ra's fight from season 3 was amazing, so it's not like they're incapable of doing those scenes anymore

That was a year and a half ago.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ehhhh, the camera is shaky as all hell and it keeps zooming all over the place. Doesn't look that much different from what we have nowadays, really, except for the cinematography. Seems darker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

enraged_camel posted:

or that the writers blatantly stole a plot point straight from Daredevil Season 2 (with Darkh using another prisoner's grandmother as leverage to buy their loyalty).

This is so loving stupid. Yes, they absolutely re-wrote and filmed the episode in twelve days just to rip off a plot point that has been used hundreds of times in tv and film.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tequila Ranger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99MH4uSypzI This one?

I like Arrow. A lot. But I loved it back when Ollie killed the gently caress outta everyone.

Yeah, that's a good scene too. Unsurprisingly, it's also from Season 1.

Rhyno posted:

This is so loving stupid. Yes, they absolutely re-wrote and filmed the episode in twelve days just to rip off a plot point that has been used hundreds of times in tv and film.

It's either ripped off, or so cliche and boring that it feels ripped off. Pick one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

enraged_camel posted:

It's either ripped off, or so cliche and boring that it feels ripped off. Pick one.

It's cliche yes but there's no way that the Arrow people ripped off DD S2 which is why your comment was dumb.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's cliche yes but there's no way that the Arrow people ripped off DD S2 which is why your comment was dumb.

In retrospect, yeah, it was a dumb comment. :)

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Tequila Ranger posted:

Let's hope Felicity dies and Oliver goes back to murdering real good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Marc Bernardin interviewed Lexi Alexander a week or so ago for Kevin Smith's Youtube show, and she touched on the limitations of doing good fights on TV. It's not just the limited budget, but the limited shooting schedule for each episode. The actors are off filming all their other scenes while the stunt crew is blocking the fight scenes and they don't have time to learn any fancy choreography. Which means you're left with the choice of shooting around the fact that everyone in a fight scene is stunt guys, or do really basic stuff with your leads. On the other hand, something like Daredevil doesn't have the same time crunch, so they can spend more time to get each fight scene just right, which is why it looks better.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Marc Bernardin interviewed Lexi Alexander a week or so ago for Kevin Smith's Youtube show, and she touched on the limitations of doing good fights on TV. It's not just the limited budget, but the limited shooting schedule for each episode. The actors are off filming all their other scenes while the stunt crew is blocking the fight scenes and they don't have time to learn any fancy choreography. Which means you're left with the choice of shooting around the fact that everyone in a fight scene is stunt guys, or do really basic stuff with your leads. On the other hand, something like Daredevil doesn't have the same time crunch, so they can spend more time to get each fight scene just right, which is why it looks better.

This doesn't explain the significant drop in quality between S1 fight scenes and S4 fight scenes. I mean were they not subject to the exact same limitations in previous seasons? How can a TV show film a fight scene like the first Oliver/Ra's fight and then a year and a half later film the Oliver vs. Bee Golem fight? The inconsistency in quality is just embarrassing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it might have to do with that Ra's fight being basically the centrepiece of that episode, and a major turning point for the season, versus the Beebot fight, which was filler.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Even Legends has better fight scenes week to week...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Krad posted:

Even Legends has better fight scenes week to week...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

This doesn't explain the significant drop in quality between S1 fight scenes and S4 fight scenes. I mean were they not subject to the exact same limitations in previous seasons?

Not really.

In previous seasons they had one guy fighting, who was a nobody at the time. Now they have 4 most of the time, and Amell is a lot busier than he was.

• Locked thread