Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Frogmanv2 posted:

Bonus points if you dont know who she is and what she is standing next to.

She was the woman who wrote the launch program for NASA for the first shuttle launches right? iirc she did it all by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Quotas are put in place because organisations without them have less minorities than they are represented in society.

Affirmative action is often misconstrued to be someone getting a job with lower qualifications than someone else, when the reality it's the minority getting a job as they are equal with everyone else.

Bias is well documented even in people with the best intentions. We favour those with whom we identify the most. Bias is the less qualified person getting the job as a requiter identifies with them more.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

tithin posted:

She was the woman who wrote the launch program for NASA for the first shuttle launches right? iirc she did it all by hand.

and also coined the term "writing code"

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

tithin posted:

She was the lass who wrote the launch program for NASA for the first shuttle launches right? iirc she did it all by hand.

Programing is a great example as the detail involved was originally seen as "women's work". Guess what happened when computers began taking off.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

My understanding is the bulk of female "computers" were doing mathematical grunt work, and were not designing algorithms like higher skilled programmers today

You can't really compare what the average WW2 "computer" did vs a programmer today.

And no I am not saying that only Men understand logic. Men do seem predisposed to programming however. Computer programmers were never seen as "cool" in school etc so it's not like society pushed them towards it.

:eyepop:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tithin posted:

She was the woman who wrote the landing program for NASA for the first shuttle launches right? iirc she did it all by hand.

Thats what she is standing next to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Hamilton_(scientist)

But women just do mathematical grunt work, and dont design algorithms.

Except all the ones that dont.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Aww, he was a great ratbag. Very few know how to ratbag any more.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

EvilElmo posted:

Seems to be the Greens campaign approach.

They're trying really hard for the #1 Green #2 LNP vote.

why don't you approve a coal mine about it

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wait for when he reads up about who coined the word "bug" for a program error. And I wonder who was a mathematician and invented the first machine algorithm? An actual programming language was even named after her! Gosh, what treasures abound to the newly-expanding mind :allears:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Will admit, she looks sort of like Harry Potter

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

why don't you approve a coal mine about it

:iceburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_X6PrASho&t=50s

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 3, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Classy. Thats sure to win people over with a well rounded argument.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

LibertyCat posted:

My understanding is the bulk of female "computers" were doing mathematical grunt work, and were not designing algorithms like higher skilled programmers today

You can't really compare what the average WW2 "computer" did vs a programmer today.

And no I am not saying that only Men understand logic. Men do seem predisposed to programming however. Computer programmers were never seen as "cool" in school etc so it's not like society pushed them towards it.

We are literally at the :biotruths: stage

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lizard Combatant posted:

This legit sounds interesting, got any good links/books?

Debt: The first 5000 years by David Graeber is pretty good.
https://libcom.org/files/__Debt__The_First_5_000_Years.pdf

John Green basically gives a high school level overview of it in this video if you're feeling lazy though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94BtOtGVqLw

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EvilElmo posted:

Seems to be the Greens campaign approach.

They're trying really hard for the #1 Green #2 LNP vote.

Are they, though? I mean, really? Or are they just trying to blindly and aimlessly point-score?

Because anyone who cares would know this is bullshit... and the people who don't know it's bullshit don't care. So it's not just a lie, it's a lie to no end.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I don't understand supporting a party that always finds more ways to sink deeper into corruption.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

Given the logical structure of this sentence, I take it that you are a woman?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
LibertyCat, after you (and others) mentioned you would do more research into the civilization level of Australian aboriginals, I did some quick googling (because it's something I wanted to know more about as well, and I enjoy learning) and posted an article I found.

I'd like to know 1) if you read the article, and if so 2) what effect, if any, it had on your perception of Australian aboriginal culture.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Where the gently caress is the fire alarm? We need an evacuation asap god damnit, and we need everyone out yesterday.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I want an app for Bronwyn Bishop's expenses.

"Choppr"?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

MaliciousOnion posted:

LibertyCat, after you (and others) mentioned you would do more research into the civilization level of Australian aboriginals, I did some quick googling (because it's something I wanted to know more about as well, and I enjoy learning) and posted an article I found.

I'd like to know 1) if you read the article, and if so 2) what effect, if any, it had on your perception of Australian aboriginal culture.

I was interested too, and started reading the article you posted. I stopped because I'm not actually researching the subject and have no desire to read something so dry and uncompelling. It's the weekend, can't learning at least be entertaining?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Measly Twerp posted:

I was interested too, and started reading the article you posted. I stopped because I'm not actually researching the subject and have no desire to read something so dry and uncompelling. It's the weekend, can't learning at least be entertaining?

There's another crash-course video that deals with the problematisation of civilisation in a slightly more entertaining way I guess. It's not directly about indigenous Australians but, they do discuss swidden agriculture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzi9GNZFMU

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 3, 2016

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death
[edit: nah]

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 3, 2016

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Frogmanv2 posted:

Bonus points if you dont know who she is and what she is standing next to.

I did, and yes I do. You don't need to bring up Ada Lovelace / Grace Hopper et al either.

The point is these individuals are exceptional. They are not representative of the huge piles of human "computers" employed earlier. The Turing quote I posted earlier shows what the responsibilities of that role were.

Nowhere did I say that there is anything inherent in women that makes them worse programmers. My belief is the best programmers seem to have be interested from an early age, and trying to attract women at age 20 or so misses the boat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LibertyCat posted:

My belief is the best programmers seem to have be interested from an early age, and trying to attract women at age 20 or so misses the boat.
Quotas are about making sure that women who are interested and trained in the field don't lose out on jobs just because of their gender.

Yeah, you need to get people early but you also don't want to lose them just because some dickheads on a recruitment panel chose John instead of Jane.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Any y'all nerds coming to the protest this morning?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

thatbastardken posted:

As a certified Leaner, I actually have class, sorry.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

Me

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Which protest?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Pro reef rabble-rousing at parliament in brisbane

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

ewe2 posted:

Wait for when he reads up about who coined the word "bug" for a program error. And I wonder who was a mathematician and invented the first machine algorithm? An actual programming language was even named after her! Gosh, what treasures abound to the newly-expanding mind :allears:

Just gruntwork mate.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You can point to women who were successful in business in that era too. Cherry picking examples of successful women doesn't change the fact that most women who worked with computers, like most women who worked at all, were generally given low responsibility roles.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

open24hours posted:

You can point to women who were successful in business in that era too. Cherry picking examples of successful women doesn't change the fact that most women who worked with computers, like most women who worked at all, were generally given low responsibility roles.

Just because they were only given low responsibility doesn't mean that's all they could handle. Surely you can understand that.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Obviously, but only now are they starting to get an opportunity to show that. There were some exceptional women in early computing, but pretending it was some sort of egalitarian utopia compared to other industries doesn't help anyone.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Did everybody suddenly forget that IWC is a thing or something?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Nice little protest, not a bad crowd for short notice

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

Yeah but there's still kids in Nauru, this is pretty misleading
To its target audience the important dogwhistle is 'onshore'. We flexed our mighty border control penis and asserted sovereignty all over the Arafura Sea.

ewe2 posted:

Aww, he was a great ratbag. Very few know how to ratbag any more.
And was shut down by the mechanism that has been used to shut down ratbags since colonisation the invasion destroyed civilization in Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-04/tributes-flow-for-writer-journalist-bob-ellis/7295744

quote:

Throughout his career he wrote more than 20 books, including bestseller Goodbye Jerusalem, 200 poems, 100 songs, and 2,000 film reviews.

Ellis suffered a fall from grace in 1998, when Goodbye Jerusalem was pulped after he lost a defamation suit taken by Tony Abbott and Peter Costello. "It cost me the right to address mass rallies and demonstrations, it cost the column on moral issues I had in the Sydney Morning Herald, it cost me status," he said at the time. In 1993, on the day he published his satirical book about John Hewson, his Palm Beach house burnt down and he sarcastically blamed God for punishing him.

-/-

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-04/verrender-workers-are-picking-up-the-tab-for-our-budget-deficit/7295740

quote:

Workers are picking up the tab for our budget deficit OPINION By Ian Verrender Posted about 3 hours ago

After last week's antics, it's now clear the grand plan to fix our structural deficit is through higher income taxes. The reason? Wage earners are soft targets, writes Ian Verrender.

"Between 1915 and 1942, income taxes were levied at both the state and federal level, leading to complexity and inequitable taxation of income across states." Oops. Better change that line quick smart. For that's the explanation Treasury first lobbed onto the federal government website in its Brief History of Australia's Tax System about a decade ago to explain just why the Commonwealth took full control of income tax during World War II. Suddenly that's all changed. If Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull had his way, the states in future would be responsible for raising their own income taxes to fund vital services such as health and education. While there was no disputing the grand sweep of Turnbull's idea and that it perfectly fit Coalition ideology, there were a whole series of questionable assumptions about the supposed benefits that would flow from this monumental change to our system of federalism. More on that later. Of more immediate concern is that it is now clear the grand plan to fix Australia's structural deficit is not through tightening middle and upper class welfare or removing distorting tax incentives such as negative gearing.

It is through higher income taxes. That's the only way the states could plug the funding gap for health and education. Otherwise, there'd be no point making the change. Call it unfortunate timing. But given the upcoming budget is likely to include a cut in corporate tax rates, with the possibility of further corporate tax cuts into the future, wage and salary earners look to have been tasked with the mammoth job of budget repair. The reason? They are a soft target, as evidenced by the growth in their tax contributions in the past few years. According to data released by the Australian Tax Office a fortnight ago, not only are individuals the biggest net contributors to the federal coffers, the growth in tax receipts in the five years to 2014 has far outstripped the growth in tax from companies and superannuation funds. Wage earners coughed up $166 billion in 2013/14, up from $120 billion in 2009/10. Corporate tax, on the other hand, grew from around $57 billion to $67 billion in the same period. With the company tax cuts now on offer, and given the recent massive losses clocked up by the likes of Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton in the past few months, the corporate world's contributions are set to substantially fall in the next few years, placing an even greater burden on government revenue.

Those pushing for a cut to company argue that Australia has one of the highest rates in the world.

At 30 per cent, we are well above the OECD average of 24.1 per cent and are among the highest in the OECD. America, incidentally, charges almost 40 per cent. But Australia is one of the few countries to have a system of dividend imputation, which effectively lowers the rate, particularly if most of a company's shareholders are Australian. Local investors are delivered franking credits, meaning the more tax a company pays, the less the investor pays. While the Prime Minister's grand vision on the federation has been dismissed by the state premiers, it has been a neat political victory at another level. No one is talking negative gearing, capital gains tax or superannuation rorts any longer. Even with record low interest rates, Australian taxpayers are claiming more than $4 billion annually in tax deductions from losses on mostly property loans, courtesy of negative gearing. That represents an enormous hit each year to tax receipts. Then there's the opportunity cost. All that money should have been invested in productive enterprises, not loss making ventures.

There's nothing wrong with trying to improve the efficiency of the health and education systems. But reshuffling the income tax system won't do it. The biggest impact, however, is on the cost of land and housing. Every business leader in the country complains about Australia's exorbitant costs. Guess what? A large part of that relates to the cost of real estate, which in turn flows through to rents and wages. Winding back negative gearing tax breaks and the associated discounts on capital gains would be a vital first step to not simply improving housing affordability, but lowering the long term cost of doing business in this country. As for the supposed benefits of allowing the states to levy their own income tax, the underlying assumption is that it would make the states more accountable; that if they had to raise their own tax, they'd spend the money more wisely. Where is the evidence for this? Which state has been squandering its health budget? And if any have, why not fix the problem at the source rather than offer an academic solution with spurious benefits?

The truth is that health costs are rising faster than inflation. Why? Because we have an ageing population, the cost of medical technology is soaring and the Australia US Free Trade Agreement signed a decade ago was a dud that left us at the mercy of US pharmaceutical giants. That, in turned, undermined the efficiency of our Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. In his first budget, then treasurer Joe Hockey highlighted the fact that "during the past decade the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme has increased by 80 per cent." He didn't mention anything about profligacy at the state level. Anyone who has ever worked in or been a patient in our public health system will tell you that work rates, staff dedication and stress levels are high and that wages are low. If you want an easy, well paid career as a front line health worker, good luck with that.

Among the arguments this week was that, if one state wants to offer a Rolls Royce health system and another wants a Trabant, then they should be allowed to do so.

Really? Whatever happened to the principle that all Australians are entitled to the same level of health and schooling? And while the Prime Minister assured us a "mechanism" would be put in place to ensure the poorer states would not be left worse off, that could only mean one thing; an equalisation fund whereby richer states would subsidise poorer states, thereby undermining the entire idea of state taxation independence. Still, the academics loved the idea, for it would minimise the VFI, the dreaded Vertical Fiscal Imbalance; the supposed evil where the Commonwealth raises more than 80 per cent of the revenue and the states get to spend most of the money. Not sure about you, but the last time I looked that's pretty much the way most modern corporations work. Head office is responsible for collecting the revenue while various departments are allocated budgets to which they have to adhere.

There's nothing wrong with trying to improve the efficiency of the health and education systems. But reshuffling the income tax system won't do it. Just ask Treasury.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

open24hours posted:

Obviously, but only now are they starting to get an opportunity to show that. There were some exceptional women in early computing, but pretending it was some sort of egalitarian utopia compared to other industries doesn't help anyone.

I don't think anyone did? They pointed to it as an example of the social construction of women's work. It's a great example because of how often :biotruths: are used to say that women just aren't interested in programming.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
4 Corners has an expose about off shore tax havens tonight. I haven't seen any reference to anyone in Australia or the US mentioned yet. I would think it will impact the election, if any current politicians are mentioned.

Should there be some very worried people looking at their assets right now?

I for one, have full confidence in the regulators not doing anything.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
"If Annastacia Palaszczuk and her ministers were smacking their lips at the heroic prices her southern neighbours have just won in privatising NSW electricity, their ambitions for a truckload of cash from the sale of Powerlink will have been quickly tempered by the state treasury.

So lavish are the dividends which the Queensland government derives from Powerlink that Treasury is loath to bid it farewell. You can't blame them; we are talking about a total return on equity of 23 times over 15 years.

To put it in perspective, this return is akin to the profits to be had from a tearaway speculative mining company but with all the risk, that is no risk, of a public utility.

In a recent energy market presentation, Hugh Grant – not that Hugh Grant – consumer advocate and 30-year electricity industry veteran Hugh Grant, pointed out the Queensland utility typically delivers a 20-30 per cent annual return on equity whereas most ASX companies have struggled to deliver five per cent.

As far as state corporations go this is the golden calf (though a golden calf which has come at a heavy cost to consumers).

Profits without efficiency

Profits from NSW and Victorian electricity market returns have been spectacular too, though Victoria less so, where the assets were privatised 25 years ago. Ironically, the Hugh Grant analysis cites Powerlink as the nation's most inefficient transmission network.

This is precisely why the government of Queensland ought to privatise. This writer is not a huge fan of privatisation, but there are times when it makes sense. If Hugh Grant is right, this is the very top of the market.

Electricity prices have run too high so if rational markets prevail, and technological advances proceed apace, consumers will progressively shift off the grid.

There is already switching in agricultural markets from electricity to diesel pumps. Take-up for solar power continues to rise. More investment is now funnelled into battery technology than if the networks' prices were based on fair returns.

$33 billion on the table

Moreover, the price recently achieved by Mike Baird's government for the sale of NSW transmission asset Transgrid was a heady 1.65 times book value (regulated asset base – RAB). If Queensland can get the same price, it would achieve a cool $33 billion in spending money for the Queensland government (after paying off the network's debt).

What of the conundrum though that once the asset is gone it no longer delivers state revenue yet the regulatory regime is such that consumers will still have onerous electricity prices foisted upon them during private ownership?

If you look at Powerlink, here is an asset which has delivered no losses and no low profits in 15 years. Its RAB, during that timeframe has multiplied four times.

The Queensland Government's $401 million equity investment in Powerlink has accrued total returns of $9.4 billion, that is, it has returned over 23 times the equity investment.

Bear in mind that, like other electricity providers it has managed to do this by gaming the regulators.

Wrong incentives

Unfortunately, the more money the utilities spend the higher the return they make. They have a disincentive to be efficient.

Despite the sophistry of their lawyers and consultants in pushing the Australian Energy Regulator for price rises and the silly schemes such as DORC (depreciated optimised replacement cost) which they deploy for valuation, the sale price of Transgrid is hard evidence the 'market' is not working.

As Grant points out, the networks have made many assertions over the past two years that 'return on equity' allowances would: 1. not enable them to recover efficient financing costs, 2. make them unattractive to equity investors, 3. result in lower investment in the network, and 4. significantly increase their financing risks.

"The extraordinary sale price achieved by TransGrid makes a mockery of those claims," says Grant.

Foretaste of farce

Last year's barney in the Australian Competition Tribunal, where the networks sent 40 lawyers in to convince three men that the regulator's efforts to curb electricity prices was a bad thing, is a foretaste of the farce to come.

With the networks increasingly privatised – and governments no longer so burdened with the conflict of raking in humungous dividends or giving their citizens price relief – private operators will continue their gaming.

But with electricity prices twice as high as they should be and the cost of renewable technologies falling it is only a matter of time before more consumers move off the grid.

For the poorest consumer this will not be good, as the networks will recoup their investment from a lower base.

While private buyers for the state assets are clearly – if the Transgrid sale price is any indication – expecting a kind run from regulators, in the end this may well be seen to have been the peak of the market.

There are two NSW assets still to be sold, stakes in the distributors Ausgrid and Endeavour Energy.

Recent reports in the press indicate the price tension has eased with two of the four bidders for Ausgrid said to have pulled out, leaving just two still in the auction.

:allears:

• Locked thread