Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

Started modeling an anti-ship weapon for the Stimpire for my next addition. It looks pretty conventional and shares some design concepts with the Recon Scout, such as the maneuvering globe and

But, what's this pod here?

Let me turn the sphere off so we can take a peak...

My idea, based off someone's joke about the Stimpire shooting heads at the enemy, is that human life is so cheap in the Stimpire that, if it's cheaper to use a biological component than create a computer analog, they will convert some poor slave into that "biological component". It's cheaper for them to pull some sod off the street, cut his head off, rig him up like that Russian dog and have him fed off a saline drip, put some Skinner conditioning and plug him into a space cruise missile instead of developing an intelligent guidance system.

BTW, it's been awhile since I modeled heads and faces, does anyone have a good tutorial on how to do it? I started off with a 8x8 sectioned sphere that I was taught in school, but it's been a long time and I screwed up. The head displayed is my second attempt and I'm still not sure if I got it to subdivide right.

Stimpire going seriously old school with their missile guidance. Will it also be possible to send incendiary bats to hide in people's hangars?

e: Have an illustration of Acoustic Kitty, famed CIA project mentioned in Alpha Protocol.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Trying to find exact price, but so far someone has mentioned on a blog this model costs $10,000.

Its shown here, http://blog.fogcreek.com/the-price-of-dev-happiness-part-two/

Still checking.

It was found tens of pages back, one site has them going for around $13k.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh god I didn't even notice that at first :suicide:

CIG why do you hurt us like this

Because you meanies have spent an entire year hurting them. Now it's (supremely selective) payback time! :colbert:

alphabettitouretti posted:

Yup. Here.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 3, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The best part is that at the same time Lesnick was bitching about Smart, he was being a dick to WC modders by withholding assets from people he didn't like.

A few years later, he was banning people who dared to say that Wing Commander Arena sucked.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

Stimpire going seriously old school with their missile guidance. Will it also be possible to send incendiary bats to hide in people's hangars?

Yeah, originally was going to say "Pavlovian" when it came to the conditioning but then recalled that B.F. Skinner did that with pigeons and bats and had to revise my statement.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

happyhippy posted:

Trying to find exact price, but so far someone has mentioned on a blog this model costs $10,000.

Its shown here, http://blog.fogcreek.com/the-price-of-dev-happiness-part-two/

Still checking.

A price was posted before, something like $14,500. When you include sales tax and the employee training sessions, it's easy to see how you get near 20. Either way, 3 of Chris Robert's plane trips in business class could equal that price. It's not so much that it's 10 or 20 grand, just that it's symptomatic of wasting money.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

hottubrhymemachine posted:

As a non coffee drinker I am intrigued about this bit. How does the outside weather affect pulled shots? Also what is a shot and what is pulling one?

Pouring boiling water in a mug with a teabag is about as far as I go with caffeine consumption.

Also, everyone taking the dereki code poo poo seriously is hilarious.

Edit: drat 12 pages appeared between me starting this post, getting distracted and submitting the draft. Apologies if it was already addressed and those people already mocked. I just skipped them all rather than read more blathering crap about encryption and hilarious jokes.

An espresso machine is like a pressure cooker. Your making your coffe extraction with steam instead of warm water so that it take less time (as in Express-so) Drawing a shot is a simple procedure, but like anything else dealing with pressurised gaz, you have to pay attention.

There is a lot of factor in play to get a nice espresso (grind size, extraction time, puck pressure, steam temp. steam pressure) so its easy to gently caress up.

This guy explain it better than i ever could

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC4_Aa49oR0

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone here talked about the time chris roberts got busted by chris hansen? because he got busted by chris hansen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etjv_CM3Iu4

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

alphabettitouretti posted:

XK posted:

A price was posted before, something like $14,500. When you include sales tax and the employee training sessions, it's easy to see how you get near 20. Either way, 3 of Chris Robert's plane trips in business class could equal that price. It's not so much that it's 10 or 20 grand, just that it's symptomatic of wasting money.

Ah thanks.

Just found the link to it too, http://www.espressodealer.com/catalog/marzocco-linea-group-espresso-machine-p-647.html

Awww, thought I was original here.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Mr Fronts posted:

I have about the dumbest, simplest espresso machine imaginable. Ditto for the grinder next to it. Dumb, manual, minimalist.

If I buy the right beans at the right time, get the grind right, and get the tamping right, and get the milk steaming right, and the milk itself is in a good mood, and I cut off the shot at exactly the right point in the pour, I get a good brown drink. If one or more of those things is wanting, it goes rapidly downhill.

gently caress that poo poo, get an automatic.
I work from home and i've bought a Delonghi Primadonna as a christmas present to myself a few years ago.

Haven't looked back since.

With the number of espressos i go through during a workday (more like worknight), anything else would be suicide.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

As was written in volume 11 of Genesis, when sons of man decided to construct what became the tower of Babel, God confounded their speech and scattered them to all corners of the Earth.

Dude you're pretty crazy, are you sure you want to go through with this by tomorrow? :vince:

I mean... eventually even one of the riddiots is going to crack this up.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Backers paid for people to learn how to make espresso.

You had to learn, otherwise you can't use the coffee machine.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

Dude you're pretty crazy, are you sure you want to go through with this by tomorrow? :vince:

I mean... eventually even one of the riddiots is going to crack this up.

Yes, but it'll take them at least 5 minutes after it has been posted in plaintext in this thread. :science:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

squirrelzipper posted:

Also discontinued, partially because it was kind of a piece of poo poo. If you have an iPad you can have a poor mans cintiq using a pressure stylus and Air Display - which also lets you use the iPad as an external monitor that's touch capable. The new Wacom companion 2 is supposed to be on but it's also 2200 USD.

Have you actually used one or owned one?
It's very far from being a "kind of a piece of poo poo".

If it's a "kind of a piece of poo poo", then Intuos 13 is a kind of a piece of poo poo too, because apart from the Android component, they're identical.

It was discontinued because of market confusion (two simultaneous products, one called Companion, the other Companion Hybrid, they look the same, but are completely different devices).
On top of that, Wacom stopped supporting it pretty much months after it was released. It's now permanently stuck on Android 4.x because of that. Still does its job fine, but hey - obsolescence is a bitch.

Air Display, however, truly is a piece of poo poo. The lag is unbearable.

Wacom Companion 2 is a standalone computer (a la Surface), hence the $2200 pricetag.
It can, however, work as an external Intuos (Wacom Connect mode, i believe they call it nowadays).
Haven't tried it, it's way too pricey for me.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

PM'd

A shot is the actual espresso made by the machine, and pulling a shot is the action of forcing water through the grounds to make the espresso.

Because the conditions for actually getting what some people would call an "acceptable" shot of espresso are so dependent on the variables (grind, tamp, time, and temperature if your machine lets you gently caress with that) it also is affected by things like humidity. So when the ambient humidity increases you need to adjust things like grind (push a little coarser) and pull time. Some people think you should adjust your tamp, but IMO tamp should always stay consistent.

I concur, you should not mess with the tamp once you can do it with consistency. remember than pulling a shot should take around 30 seconds and adjust your grind first.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

happyhippy posted:

Ah thanks.

Just found the link to it too, http://www.espressodealer.com/catalog/marzocco-linea-group-espresso-machine-p-647.html

Awww, thought I was original here.

Just the Restoration Hardware furniture we've seen on the streams absolutely dwarfs the pricing of even the most expensive coffee maker. If anything, all those desks, lamps, tables, shelves, and whatever else, are more damning than the coffee maker.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

D_Smart posted:

quote:

....and so it came to pass that after searching high and low, he finally saw the signs on shelf 3

As was written in volume 11 of Genesis, when sons of man decided to construct what became the tower of Babel, God confounded their speech and scattered them to all corners of the Earth.

:raise:

D_Smart posted:

Decades from now, when people are talking about the Star Citizen clusterfuck, they will forever have no choice but to mention my name. And that, to me, is the biggest payback in all of this.

Mat 6:2 - So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

aleksendr posted:

I concur, you should not mess with the tamp once you can do it with consistency. remember than pulling a shot should take around 30 seconds and adjust your grind first.

just loaded into this thread and thought you were talking about :420: at first

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Yeah, plus somebody leaked it cost $20k to Derek, same thing with Star Marine being cancelled, it seemed too crazy to be true and it took over half a year for both things to be confirmed.

If the "baby pu" has been put into maintenance mode as Derek has now said, then Star Citizen is effectively cancelled. Even if they could survive the two+ years to get SQ42 out the door they'll be in the same situation as now, do we work on Star Citizen or SQ42 Episode II? At that point Episode II is actually possible and they'll have everything in place to make it. Hard to see them ever being in a position to go back to making Star Citizen.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Kilmers Elbow posted:

According to his profile at WCNews Ben Lesnick is 34 years old.

Holy poo poo, he's a year younger than me.
I thought he was into 40s.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Reharakhti posted:

I made some peter gabriel fanart
Hope you see it peter, your videos are the best :3

:wow: Nice! I especially like the face and expression. That strikes me as so :pgabz:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AP posted:

You had to learn, otherwise you can't use the coffee machine.

Be fair, it's given them free training for their next jobs.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Anyone try to find out the watch that's also in the pic?

Looks like a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre, about £1000-2000.

Then again, could be a cheap knock off.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If it's a cheap knock off, it's only because someone conned Roberts. Which I don't imagine would be difficult.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Sunswipe posted:

Lol

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Warhead was the poo poo.
I loved that game.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

You can go grey in your 20s regardless of healthy living

Ummmm, I did. OTOH, I have LOTS of thick hair.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

If it's a cheap knock off, it's only because someone conned Roberts. Which I don't imagine would be difficult.
Yeah, Crytek sold him a knock off game engine easily enough.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4d3cuc/mad_scripting_skillz/

messi knessi, attorney at law

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I cracked the code. Was not disappointed.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Wait is the key 4 or 5 characters long

Same.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Quavers posted:

Epic! And the Commando's face reminded me of Giants Citizen Kabuto, nostalgia-hype!

Somebody other than me and my old housemates ever played that?

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

D_Smart posted:

I soak mine in a bowl of warm water and liquid soap for a few mins.

I like Dawn Ultra. It's magic soap.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

Yes, but it'll take them at least 5 minutes after it has been posted in plaintext in this thread. :science:

That's why I predicted a while back that the thread is going to get closed before reaching 3000. :yikes:

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013

Duckaerobics posted:

:captainpop:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Duckaerobics posted:

I did too about 5 minutes ago. Now I can't wait :pcgaming:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Pickers and bankruptcy auction scroungers? Yes, knowing the cheap knockoffs from the real goods and having a clue of the lunatic-fringe second market would serve them well.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Reharakhti posted:

I made some peter gabriel fanart
Hope you see it peter, your videos are the best :3

Late to the party, but
:five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Someone lock that behind a platinum user only wall before someone 34s it.

Or someone Archers it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

iron buns posted:

... and cracked. Holy poo poo, didn't see that coming. :aaaaa:

I poo poo you not, you need to come to my #general Discord channel to see the levels of hilarity that's sprouted up around this

invite code: https://discord.gg/0sasVA7SRFF1RYc6

• Locked thread