Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, that's exactly it. George tells Jonathan as he's dying "JoJo, please don't hold this against Dio... It was my fault. I held you to a higher standard, as you were my son by blood... Dio must have felt as if he were being treated differently. That surely led him to do this." and that lovely cop instantly leaps to "IT WAS GEORGE TREATING BRANDO'S SON WITH KINDNESS THAT GOT HIM KILLED." While George took care of Dio and supports his future, it was never anything much more than obligation on his honoras a gentleman to the man he thought who helped in.

The entire time they're growing up, George subconciously uses Dio as a yard stick to measure how not as good Jonathan is while seemingly ignoring giving Dio attention because he's already well mannered intelligent, so it's easy to see how Dio has no problem taking everything he can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Basically, being a non-main-character JoJo means you're gonna be a colossal fuckup.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

jivjov posted:

Basically, being a non-main-character JoJo means you're gonna be a colossal fuckup.

Joseph's dad did his best, given he was just a normal dude without sun punch powers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just finished the first episode after the first time skip. Bizarrely when I was watching the last part the errant thought popped into my head "imagine one of these monks was a baddy". Still did not expect that at all though! Right at the end of that episode I was daring to hope that the flouncy way the baddy pushed his hand through his hair it meant my main babe was back. Sadly not but goddamn I was not expecting that machine gun :vince:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

You joke but this ain't even a quarter of the stuff I could write about Dio.

Dude's my favorite villain period. Gonna read too much into him all I want!

Stop impersonating me goddmmit :colbert:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Joseph's dad did his best, given he was just a normal dude without sun punch powers.

I would watch a completely normal adaptation of George's Joestar completely normal participation in WW1, by this I mean Jorge Joestar

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Raserys posted:

I would watch a completely normal adaptation of George's Joestar completely normal participation in WW1, by this I mean Jorge Joestar

There's a novel about that and the less said about it the better.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Begemot posted:

There's a novel about that and the more said about it the better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Untrue.

Knowing what happens in Jorge Joestar will change your life forever.
It spoils all parts except 8 so no anime only.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Imagine 36 Kars stuck on the moon.

Time works the same way.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Time works the same way.

Okay. I just read the summary of it. How do I Jorge Joestar??

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wait for BuddyWaters to finish translating it this millennium or learn Japanese.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Seriously though Jorge Joestar is partially George 2 being a cool plane guy and the other half is exploring the absurd implications of everything that happens in the entire series, so don't look at a summary if you wanna be pure as snow on the Jojo anime moving forward. My joke about the Kars on the moon is basically the only detail I can give that both gives a taste of what kind of weird poo poo happens and doesn't tell you about later stuff.

Also, read the manga.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Time works the same way.

"The 36 Kars on Mars" would be a hell of a band name

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TheKingofSprings posted:

"The 36 Kars on Mars" would be a hell of a band name

Oops, yeah, it's Mars.

Weird The Martian didn't mention them being there.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Wait for BuddyWaters to finish translating it this millennium or learn Japanese.

Or you can be me and buy a copy that you can barely read because it's the most important JoJo light novel

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you can barely read it, that would fall under the latter option, Baal-kun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Urusai, Aurain-Dono.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If you hold a copy of Jorge Joestar close to your heart, you will understand it regardless of language barriers.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The Sandman posted:

Have watched first episode. It was beautiful. Looking forward to rest of year watching adventures of Un-Punch Man.

Un-Punch Man is how I'm gonna refer to part 4 from now on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Basically no matter how good of a father George tried to be to the boys, Dio always viewed his love through the self-affixed lens of being a charity case.

Part 1 Dio strikes me as the sort of person who needs to feel in control of the situation, even if they aren't. Growing up in the slums with a good-for-nothing father, it's easy to see how he might have come to think this way. There are those who go with the flow and those who fight the current. Dio's a fighter, or tries to be. The greatest sin in his mind is not pride or greed or lust but powerlessness; allowing oneself to be swept along by fate and circumstance. His father was born a loser and he lived a like loser and he died like a loser. Dio wanted better for himself, and probably would've preferred to make his own way. I doubt he knew about the letter when he poisoned his father, but all of a sudden it turns out he gets to go live with some rich folks. Well, Dio's not in the mood to be "Given" anything but he'll "Take" as much as he wants. In his own twisted mind, that's how he justifies "Earning" his success.

The end result is a sort of psychological paradox where Dio's more than happy to take advantage of people but refuses to accept acts of kindness, not unlike how somebody might resent everyone above them while dismissing anyone below. George talks about "Supporting" Dio, "You're family to me," which Dio likely processed as "That's right. I'm like family to him. Not actually family, just like family. Just a kid he picked up off the street because he could - because he promised. He made a promise before I was even born. I could've been anyone; he wouldn't care. He'd accept me just because, through no merit of my own." Although Dio's aim has long been established as the Joestar fortune, he objects to being "Handed" his victory in this way, and resents George for thinking himself so generous when he's just (in Dios mind) fulfilling his end of a social contract, an obligation, or "Fate."

tldr ver:

Dio:freep:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I dunno if this is a spoiler, but there is never a scene where Josuke meets his cool sister Holly and JoJo as a whole is all the worse for it.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 3, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

I dunno if this is a spoiler, but there is never a scene where Josuke meets his cool sister Holly and JoJo as a whole is all the worst for it.

For a series where Stand users are tied by fate, there's a lot of people who never meet who really loving should have.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The World, the cool tubey helmet stand bro will never meet his cool tubey helmet stand bro Crazy Diamond :(

They're both dudes who like punching holes through people and punching in general, they'd be best friends for sure.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

one unfortunate bit about the series is that there's never really many opportunities for the members of the family to hang with each other barring times when the plot demands it, like joseph in stardust crusaders

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In all serious, "this is a thing that does not happen" is most certainly a spoiler unless you're describing something utterly impossible like Caesar will never meet Jotaro or something similar.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Please look forward to my fanfiction where Josuke meets his sister Holly Kujo and her new fiance Noriaki Kakyoin, wherein I will attempt to save what Araki has ruined due to his poor writing

The World, the cool tubey helmet stand bro will never meet his cool tubey helmet stand bro Crazy Diamond :(

They're both dudes who like punching holes through people and punching in general, they'd be best friends for sure.
It's my headcanon that DIO got his heart motif from using his Hermit Purple to check on in this four year old JoJo to see if he would ever be a threat, saw Crazy Diamond trying to manifest and how cool it looked and said "shiiiiit and went out and bought heart bracelets to wear

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

In all serious, "this is a thing that does not happen" is most certainly a spoiler unless you're describing something utterly impossible like Caesar will never meet Jotaro or something similar.

Caesar will never be Uncle Caesar, I cry every tiem

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Johnny Joestar posted:

one unfortunate bit about the series is that there's never really many opportunities for the members of the family to hang with each other barring times when the plot demands it, like joseph in stardust crusaders

That's mostly because "poo poo goes down" in every single chapter, even in ones deemed as filler by some folks poo poo is going down, and that's why Jojo owns.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

I dunno if this is a spoiler, but there is never a scene where Josuke meets his cool sister Holly and JoJo as a whole is all the worse for it.

There are cute comics here and there for it, at least.

e: you're right, showing that character now is a spoiler sorry :D

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 3, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She'd use her now mastered stand [The Rose] to beat the poo poo out of anyone who criticised his hair, and would style her own in the same way for a while in inspiration.

Her stand would also have the power to make perfect cookies from thin air.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Okuyasu that comic's definitely got spoilers

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

She'd use her now mastered stand [The Rose] to beat the poo poo out of anyone who criticised his hair, and would style her own in the same way for a while in inspiration.

Her stand would also have the power to make perfect cookies from thin air.

Uh her stand would be Seal, tyvm

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Okuyasu that comic's definitely got spoilers
I'm experimenting with a more relaxed atmosphere regarding spoilers in this thread in hopes of bringing it to the rest of the board, but yeah, just gonna go ahead and turn that imagine into a link.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Begemot posted:

There's a novel about that and the less said about it the better.

(i know)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Moltrey posted:

DavidPro adding at least one scene of Holly or a certain other Kujo into DiU would be great.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i get that for sure. i mostly just mean in the sense that there's not a bunch of light side stuff about people just hanging out. fortunately we have internet artists to fill that void in our life.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

DavidPro adding at least one scene of Holly or a certain other Kujo into DiU would be great.

Yeah, Jotaro's dad is a total bad-rear end. Can't believe he was cut from the Part 3 anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm experimenting with a more relaxed atmosphere regarding spoilers in this thread in hopes of bringing it to the rest of the board, but yeah, just gonna go ahead and turn that imagine into a link.

Nah I yanked it altogether, I'll only share amaryllis comics in the manga thread.

Good luck on loosening things but I'm betting it's a no go given how fraught things are elsewhere with this right now. I said something in the manga thread about it because it's... there's discourse on the matter. DISCOURSE.

• Locked thread